hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass hibsteria

@hibs.net private member
    Really miss the fanzine, always a great read on those match days when it was available. So much more content than the club programme back then.
    Had written the odd article for it over the years and always got a kick out of seeing your ramblings in print. Still have some of them at home. Would definitely buy a copy if it re-emerged.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dashing young gentlemen!

I wonder if John still uses the same pc?

I don't think I missed an issue of any of the fanzines, but I gave them all away when I changed country.
    Traded in my coal fired one for this gas powered effort

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Some great front pages.

Ally McCoist’s Ass. Ten out ten Daily Record journalists preferred it.

Pele - the Black Chic Charnley.

I’m sure there was a Keith Wright Missing front page once. Think we sometimes forget that players we look back on now fondly also had their bad spells!
    That was one of my favourites too, Andy

Quote Originally Posted by LithgaeHibby View Post
    Anyone know if John Campbell or Sean Allan are on here?
    I'm here but don't know if Sean posts?

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post

A lot of hard work, time and effort went in to putting MHHM together over all the years, but it was a labour of love really. Some of the best times was when we were really struggling for a front page then right out the blue, something just popped up and that was it. I remember J.C. dropping me off at Longniddrie station to get the train home after spending hours putting it together but we still didn't have a front page. There was a Sunday paper sitting on the a bench in the station with some sort of photo on it, and that was it, we had our front page for the next edition. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was (my brain has gone soft in my auld age and the memory is whitdeyecallit) , but it was that sort of thing that happened, not infrequently.

Worst for me was standing in Albion Road on a freezing cold, wet Wednesday night (I think we were playing St. Midden) selling the 'Zines, that was brutal.
    Mine too, MB - bloody auld age

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    John Campbell will be far, far too old for computers and stuff now.
    Ahem, I still use one, young man

Quote Originally Posted by Mon Dieu4 View Post
    The picture of Fenlon on the back page for Pat on the back was ingenious and had me in stitches
    That was the Sean Allan effect - Sean was great at these kind of things

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Cup semi and final ones aside I’m sure I used to get them posted to me. Whatever happened to those guys.
    We're here, A or at least some of us are

Hibs Monthly was created and edited by posters ColL and SidBurns who post on here as does MB62, also known as the Raving Reporter. Grumpy Gibby, aka Sandy McNair is now a published author as indeed are ColL, myself and Ted Brack who wrote for the Fanzine but I'm not sure if he posts on here?

When I was given the privilege of taking over as Editor, Sean Allan was my sidekick and we were ably supported by the likes of MB62, Ted and the much missed Ali Tait.

I kinda miss those days if I'm honest. Unlike MB I picked a good spot to stand selling the Fanzine, on Hawkhill Drive opposite the Burger van, so plenty of hot drinks available to thaw me out
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member
    There was a great explosion of fanzines around then (late 80s?) - probably as the printing tech developed to make it more doable - and the Hibees were at the forefront as I recall with MHHM eventually emerging as our cream of the crop. It was brilliant for the fans as we'd always been starved of in depth coverage of our club outside of the narrow lens of the Evening News and the Pink - and suddenly here were these sheets stuffed with humorous Hibee columns, Jambo piss-takings and banter, as well as letters and articles on all the serious Hibs matters of the day.

Fanzines gave us fans a voice as well as anyone could write in and topics discussed in the pages of MHHM and other fanzines would often end up being discussed in boardrooms around the country. I'm forever grateful to all those who put in the effort, contributed and made these things happen. Thanks to you all - you fairly brightened up my football landscape of the time - and bloody hell didn't it need it! So any old fanzine hands looking in - I salute you

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    There was a great explosion of fanzines around then (late 80s?) - probably as the printing tech developed to make it more doable - and the Hibees were at the forefront as I recall with MHHM eventually emerging as our cream of the crop. It was brilliant for the fans as we'd always been starved of in depth coverage of our club outside of the narrow lens of the Evening News and the Pink - and suddenly here were these sheets stuffed with humorous Hibee columns, Jambo piss-takings and banter, as well as letters and articles on all the serious Hibs matters of the day.

Fanzines gave us fans a voice as well as anyone could write in and topics discussed in the pages of MHHM and other fanzines would often end up being discussed in boardrooms around the country. I'm forever grateful to all those who put in the effort, contributed and made these things happen. Thanks to you all - you fairly brightened up my football landscape of the time - and bloody hell didn't it need it! So any old fanzine hands looking in - I salute you

Great post. The heyday of fanzines was probably a bit before my time, but I loved MHHM and still have them. It was communication by the fans for the fans.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Grumpy Gibby The North Stand Hibby is very much alive and well as the West Stand Hibbby in a recent book by Sandy McNair

Same loady pish though

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Glasgow Gossip was a fine piece of work too.

MHHM was a great read as was another bigger more A4 ish sized one which might have been The Proclaimer? Unfortunately ditched them all along with my 12-inch records in one of our house moves, two collections I should have kept

I wonder if there would still be a market for them. They thrived on gossip and banter and by their nature could be talking about stuff that had happened weeks before. We now see all that stuff immediately on forums and social media so technologies probably made those zines that were monthly or bi-monthly obsolete?

Seem to remember there was a one-off MHHM for a Cup Final some years ago and Id definitely buy one if they were reintroduced for big occasions.

Left by mutual consent!
    Is there any way an archive of the fanzines could be digitised and made available for nostalgic reasons?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    How about a "best of", either available to download or in printed form, with the proceeds going to a good cause?

I'd definitely lump in for that.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I now can't remember which fanzine but my mate Alan Young drew and wrote the Winnie the Hibbee cartoons. Still got a full set he laminated. Easy enough to scan if there was somewhere to put it. I never had a full set but lost all my fanzines after splitting up with my ex wife.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough

Mass hibsteria

Great to see that there is still so much love for MHHM

As mentioned it was masel and Stevie SideBurns who founded the fanzine, first as a humble newsletter at school in 1987, before we quickly leapt on to the crazy fanzine bandwagon careering across the UK and steamed ahead on to a crazy journey.

Guys like the Hibbie Hippie, Irvine and many others volunteered their talent and helped inject some savage and brilliant humour and it just clicked with the fans.

We were always proud of our renegade status, although to be fair to Duff & Gray then Cromb, they were open to hearing us out... then usually throwing us out. Same went for Lexo, who even took umbrage with being called Lexo!

I eventually did what Miller should have done and bowed out before I overstayed my welcome as Editor, because I wanted to play fitba on a Saturday myself, and so John and Sean came in and did an unbelievable job of taking it on to the next level, as did MB, Ali Tait, Nick and Graham.

It was an absolute blast to be involved in (I still contributed articles until the end) and I’m glad to report MH/HM will be featuring in a new book on Hibs in the 80s I’m currently writing: ‘Bestie to Beastie to Belgium’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Col L; 14-04-2021 at 06:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nostalgia is often a joy but its replication never quite manages to hit the same spot. If the printed fanzine made a comeback it would need to be both different, due to how mass communication and opinions have changed, but the same capturing an almost anti-establishment humour - a hard task but plenty of scope for ridicule in the establishment clubs these days.

My favourite printed output from old days were the Gilzean cartoons in the news - think I’ve still got my ally shuffle tin badge for my scarf. It was an ambition to emulate those that kind of led me to produce the cartoons that used to appear on a previous incarnation of here but they could never be anything as good as those.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
    Nostalgia is often a joy but its replication never quite manages to hit the same spot. If the printed fanzine made a comeback it would need to be both different, due to how mass communication and opinions have changed, but the same capturing an almost anti-establishment humour - a hard task but plenty of scope for ridicule in the establishment clubs these days.

My favourite printed output from old days were the Gilzean cartoons in the news - think I’ve still got my ally shuffle tin badge for my scarf. It was an ambition to emulate those that kind of led me to produce the cartoons that used to appear on a previous incarnation of here but they could never be anything as good as those.

Used to look forward to the Gilzean cartoon on a Monday night’s EEN depicting scenes from that Saturday’s game usually an Alan Gordon header or Nijinsky speeding past some unfortunate defender usually ending with six footballs lying in an empty net.

Any future fanzine would have to be PC and HIBS have been issued with a letter of warning re Irvine
    Welsh allegedly

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Not sure exactly what you mean by having to be PC, but I'm sure a fanzine wouldn't be held to account in the same way as an official Hibs TV channel. I've never actually got round to listening to any of the Hibs fans podcasts yet (the new fanzines?), but I'm sure they poke fun at the likes of Robbie Neilson and Hearts without resorting to outdated 1970s comedic tropes (if that's what being PC means!).

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Col L;6526676]Great to see that there is still so much love for MHHM

Did one of the people on the fanzine used to live in Comely Bank at the time? I lived there and I'm sure it was sometimes on sale one of the newsagents.

I still remember the line about Hibs turning down a 5 figure offer for Ally Brazil - £10.21 and a half pence!

I never bought programmes but always got Hibs Monthly - and I still had them all until my wife had another major clear out about 5 years ago. The Proclaimer was also good, but from what I remember was less regular.

[QUOTE=Yorkshire HFC;6526918]
    Quote Originally Posted by Col L View Post
    Great to see that there is still so much love for MHHM

Did one of the people on the fanzine used to live in Comely Bank at the time? I lived there and I'm sure it was sometimes on sale one of the newsagents.

I still remember the line about Hibs turning down a 5 figure offer for Ally Brazil - £10.21 and a half pence!

I never bought programmes but always got Hibs Monthly - and I still had them all until my wife had another major clear out about 5 years ago. The Proclaimer was also good, but from what I remember was less regular.
    Col L was staying in Comely Bank when we started the fanzine. Think the first edition in 1987 featured a match report from the gemme at Ibrox when for some reason the Huns decided to accommodate us in the Main Stand rather than the Broomloan - still recall the flare whizzing over ma heid and landing a few rows down! Mental - great celebration when Mickey Weir put us 1-0 up.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinfaePorty View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean by having to be PC, but I'm sure a fanzine wouldn't be held to account in the same way as an official Hibs TV channel. I've never actually got round to listening to any of the Hibs fans podcasts yet (the new fanzines?), but I'm sure they poke fun at the likes of Robbie Neilson and Hearts without resorting to outdated 1970s comedic tropes (if that's what being PC means!).

Yeah the reference was as illustrated about the Hun being touchy over IW’s comments IIRC the HIBS fanzines were never fans of all things Hun or Hearts for that matter

All contributions would probably have to be vetted before printing a sign of the times I suppose
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 15-04-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Yeah the reference was as illustrated about the Hun being touchy over IW’s comments IIRC the HIBS fanzines were never fans of all things Hun or Hearts for that matter

All contributions would probably have to be vetted before printing a sign of the times I suppose
    Tbh, some of the humour you'd find in the fanzine that was deemed acceptable in the 80s & 90s couldn't be included now. Times have changed. Some great stuff though, as the examples in this thread have shown!

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Tbh, some of the humour you'd find in the fanzine that was deemed acceptable in the 80s & 90s couldn't be included now. Times have changed. Some great stuff though, as the examples in this thread have shown!
    My point exactly

👍🏿

I remember Brian Hamilton being referred to once as our "musical midfield genital" and I still can't read or hear his name without remembering that and chuckling.

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    My point exactly

👍🏿
    100% agree

100% agree
    👍🏿

I’m sure MHHM was the very first publication I was published in.

So that’s whose to blame

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Was the Leith Leader made by the same people that did the fanzine?

United we stand here....

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

The Longbangers podcast pokes fun at all sorts, we’re not un-PC really but definitely quite irreverent and close to the bone at times.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Was the Leith Leader made by the same people that did the fanzine?
    No, the Leith Leader was a local weekly paper, offices in Leith Walk near where Leith Depot is. Myself and Mike Wilson from The Proclaimer wrote for it as volunteer contributors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    I've been friendly with several MHHM-ers for a number of years including Sean, John, Graham and the late and sadly missed Ali Tait. Some fantastic tales from those days! They were kind enough to request I wrote a few words in the special reprise cup editions.

A magic and rare day was once when travelling back to Edinburgh for a cup final, I nipped up the Waverley Steps off the train and popped straight into the Guildford Arms, overnight bag still in hand and Ali Tait who'd flown back from Atlanta and Graham Ewing and were sitting there introduced me to the 'Hibby Hippy', Sandy McNair. A memorable and happy occasion indeed.

A favourite moment among so many was a front cover featuring Father Christmas and Lexo with Santa saying to the infamously defensive-minded Alex Miller 'And what would you like for Christmas?' with '******* Face' replying 'A nil-nil draw please, Santa'.

Loved MHHM and all the Hibs fanzines and still have a few. Happy days.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/gMt7twJqqdzGZTuh8
    A tribute to the late Ali Tait,from his local just outside Atlanta..

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NthCarolinaHibs View Post
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/gMt7twJqqdzGZTuh8
    A tribute to the late Ali Tait,from his local just outside Atlanta..
    Nice. Thanks for posting. Used to meet Ali, his bro and friends in the Hibs Club before games. Sat in front of him in the old East. RIP Ali, sadly missed.