hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass hibsteria

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Mass hibsteria

MASS HIBSTERIA HIBS MONTHLY AND OTHER FANZINES

https://youtu.be/WmO0enN1GDo

Walking up to Easter Road Stadium in the early eighties the HIBS fanzines were a must buy

I used to hunt the vendors down after buying a Programme of course

Always worth a pre-Match or half time chortle at the goings on way down at Tiny, Alex Miller, Wallet Mercenary, Joe Tortolano, Benny Brazil, Alex Miller’s nephew Brian Hamilton or the latest adventures of that radge Grumpy Gibby The North Stand Hibby ( Loady Pish!)

Once again Hibernian were trailblazers with probably having the best fanzines in the UK and with the best writers in the days before the World Wide Web and HIBS.net

Anyone else got any memories?

Thanks to JohnSparky2
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-04-2021 at 02:42 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Dashing young gentlemen!

I wonder if John still uses the same pc?

I don't think I missed an issue of any of the fanzines, but I gave them all away when I changed country.

Coaching Staff
    Some great front pages.

Ally McCoist’s Ass. Ten out ten Daily Record journalists preferred it.

Pele - the Black Chic Charnley.

I’m sure there was a Keith Wright Missing front page once. Think we sometimes forget that players we look back on now fondly also had their bad spells!

I think I've still got all mine in the loft. Used to love them. Still remember Hibby Hippie, Your Raving Reporter and of course Grumpy Gibby. Still call my son that as he's worse than me!
    Last edited by LithgaeHibby; 14-04-2021 at 07:46 AM.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Loved it and always got an extra buzz when it was for sale on a matchday. Still have a few old copies somewhere at my Dad's. Contributed a few articles probably late 90s. Not that many though.

Irvine Welsh wrote under the pseudonym Octopus if I recall correctly. I mind a cartoon strip that I think was his - Speccy the Short Sighted Jambo. Sandy McNair's Grumpy Gibby sometimes bordered on genius. It was a fantastic fanzine. I remember a Rangers version of The Lord's Prayer containing the line 'give us this day our Daily Record.' 🤣

The Proclaimer was another excellent Hibs fanzine. Mind it was in A4 and maybe a bit more serious in tone overall. Very well produced but shorter lived I think.

It was a great fanzine. I have a bunch of them in the loft.

I had a couple of letters published in it: one of them announcing the birth of Hibs on the newfangled interweb - Colin Macpherson's "Hypertext Hibs", which eventually grew into the hibs-list, Erinweb and might have ended up being some other website.

I still wish it would make a permanent comeback, as good as the semi and cup final cameos are

Quote Originally Posted by LithgaeHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I've still got all mine in the loft. Used to love them. Still remember Hibbie Hippy, Your Raving Reporter and of course Grumpy Gibby. Still call my son that as he's worse than me!

Any way they could be copied for excerpts ?Or are they out there somewhere on the web ?

Would bring back many memories for the elders amongst us and,may give our younger fans a laugh too.?

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Any way they could be copied for excerpts ?
    Anyone know if John Campbell or Sean Allan are on here?

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    I think I've still got all mine in the loft. Used to love them. Still remember Hibbie Hippy, Your Raving Reporter and of course Grumpy Gibby. Still call my son that as he's worse than me!

A lot of hard work, time and effort went in to putting MHHM together over all the years, but it was a labour of love really. Some of the best times was when we were really struggling for a front page then right out the blue, something just popped up and that was it. I remember J.C. dropping me off at Longniddrie station to get the train home after spending hours putting it together but we still didn't have a front page. There was a Sunday paper sitting on the a bench in the station with some sort of photo on it, and that was it, we had our front page for the next edition. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was (my brain has gone soft in my auld age and the memory is whitdeyecallit) , but it was that sort of thing that happened, not infrequently.

Worst for me was standing in Albion Road on a freezing cold, wet Wednesday night (I think we were playing St. Midden) selling the 'Zines, that was brutal.

First Team Regular
    I was quite young, but my auld man used to buy them and I used to love and sit and read them at half time.

They are a sad loss to the fitba scene.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Anyone know if John Campbell or Sean Allan are on here?
    John Campbell will be far, far too old for computers and stuff now.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    John Campbell will be far, far too old for computers and stuff now.
    Is this how you feel about him😀

I always remember buying it at the top of St Clair St. a guy with long hair, who I believe has now passed on sadly

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Front page from the February 2000 edition of Mass Hibsteria incorporating HIBS Monthly

Hearts 0 v 3 Hibs

Jim Jeffries, Billy Brown, Donkey Dave McPherson, Chris Robinson, Wallace Mercer, Gary Mackay, Donald Ford, Rab Prentice, Willie Bauld, Eric Milligan, Steven Hendry............

WE GAVE YOUR BOYS A HELL OF A BEATING!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-04-2021 at 03:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Cup semi and final ones aside I’m sure I used to get them posted to me. Whatever happened to those guys.

@hibs.net private member Mon Dieu4's Avatar
    The picture of Fenlon on the back page for Pat on the back was ingenious and had me in stitches

The two nuns on the see saw always cracked me up.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It was a great read; I loved it, and the gorgeous wee lassie with the long black hair who used to sometimes sell it.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

I absolutely loved it.

It was always a great buzz when you turned into Albion Road, there was a new edition out and there to be bought.

A big part of the whole Hibs experience in those days and as a teenager who lived out in the sticks, a great way to keep up with opinion on things regarding Hibs in the pre-internet age.

It’s something I’d have loved to have been involved in producing but it sort of faded away a bit before I was of an age or ability to be able to meaningfully contribute.

Great value two reads for the price of one..Like the Pink because of alcohol you could read it on Saturday night and then a second read on Sunday morning!!!!

Loadypish. Grumpy Gibby an absolute legend. Ayatollah ruffscranbevi. Great days.

It would be good to see a resurrection of sorts. Even something released twice a year or quarterly.

Obviously these things are a lot of work and the world has changed, people have moved on, their lives have changed and so on but I think there is still a place in football that is a bit old fashioned and nostalgic.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    Always felt the Club programmes were a waste of money and could be read in 10 minutes whereas 'Mass Hibsteria incorporating Hibs Monthly' was a brilliant read with 'laugh out loud' moments a plenty!

When I read this thread, just had to head up to the attic and check what editions I still have - earliest one is Issue 79 Feb/Mar 1998 featuring Lex Gold on the front cover and the last one is Issue 119 from March 2007 with a celebrating John Collins on the cover and a headline referring to 'only one manager enjoying cup success at Tynecastle this season...' I think in reference to our semi win over St Johnstone.

I'm sure you could also buy the fanzine in McColls on Elm Row?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    It would be good to see a resurrection of sorts. Even something released twice a year or quarterly.

Obviously these things are a lot of work and the world has changed, people have moved on, their lives have changed and so on but I think there is still a place in football that is a bit old fashioned and nostalgic.
    Absolutely, and although everything is now online, it's great to have a paper fanzine you can keep. I think there would still be a market for it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar

How much would you pay for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I think around 3 quid now would be good value.

Don't remember how I first came to know about it but probably saw someone reading a copy in the ground. When I first realised it was being sold at the end of Albion Road I always looked out for it, before I went to buy a programme and was disappointed if there wasn't a new one for sale.

There was something 'punk' about it with irreverence and humour in good measure, along with the odd cartoon, and for the first time fans' opinions were being heard about things the MSM would never publish, so in effect predated the advent of social media. It was written in the style of a group of mates waffling in the pub and Grumpy Gibby was indeed the highlight, being written in the local patois. It was aye long enough that there was still something to read on Sunday morning, possibly cause I'd only understand some of it after I'd read it a second time!

It would be good to see it back because enough time has elapsed since the last one, Hertz are still Lillian Gish and people are so used to reading instantaneous stuff on-line that perhaps a gadgie flogging a pile of A5 mags at the corner of Albion Road would be a revelation. Also, crowds are a bit bigger now than they were in 1998 so a bigger potential audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    For something quarterly or a couple of times a year I'd probably be happy to part with about a fiver.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

For something quarterly or a couple of times a year I'd probably be happy to part with about a fiver.
    Yes, I would take a few issues per year (as opposed to a monthly issue) for that.

Coaching Staff
    Yeah easy fiver for what used to be produced. Not sure it is worth anyone’s effort for it now but think it would go down brilliantly.