hibs.net Messageboard

This is how it feels (The Rangers 11 04 21)

Football is a game of two halves and today at Ibrox we finished each of those halves quite well. Unfortunately, the bit in the middle was not so good as we allowed the hosts to score two avoidable goals.

Despite Clive Tyldesley’s assertion that Jack Ross had made no changes from last time out, Ofir Marciano was back in goal. Like many, I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a game pass from Rangers TV, and I like to think I deserve a pat on the back for sticking with Tyldesley and Thomson for the whole ninety minutes. Tyldesley was his usual annoying self whilst Thomson insisted, we (Rangers) were deserved winners over ‘the Hibees’ a man with a foot in both camps.

As to the game, the hosts took early control as you might expect and it’s possible that Jack Ross outfoxed them a bit as we set up in a 4-4-2, departing from our favoured 3-5-2 in an effort to deny them much space in behind. They certainly had a lot of the ball but little penetration at least initially. For our part, our forward efforts were too often thwarted by an offside flag.

It's often said that if you can contain a team like Rangers for the first twenty minutes you may well cause frustration to set in, causing passes to be rushed etc. In that first twenty minutes we didn’t get much of a sight at goal, although Irvine did force McGregor into a save after Hibs broke quickly following an unsuccessful Rangers attack. Rangers then had the ball in the net but Roofe was offside, so it was disallowed. Sadly, we didn’t learn from that and unfortunately, the twenty minute mark brought the opening goal when a header from Roofe was well saved but not held by Marciano and the ball was recycled allowing Roofe to provide Aribo with a shooting opportunity. No Hibs defender tried to close him down and he struck a fine effort into Marciano’s far post.

That was a blow to Hibs obviously, but they steadied themselves and set about looking for an equaliser. Around the twenty five minute mark, Boyle raced on to a pass from Newell and both he and Goldson had a coming together in the box. My view was that it wasn’t a penalty and Boyle seemed to agree as he didn’t claim for it, but referee Don Robertson thought otherwise and practically had the yellow card out before Boyle had hit the deck. I believe that came about as the result of that slaver Yogi Hughes calling Boyle out as a diver and that Boyle is effectively a marked man with refs now.

After another Aribo effort was blocked and Hibs suffered a couple of offsides, the men in yellow began to assert themselves on the game. In the space of four minutes leading up to the half time whistle, Hibs had three good chances to draw level. The first saw Nisbet run on to a fine through ball by Newell whereupon he fired a decent effort just past McGregor’s right hand upright. Next, Irvine set up a similar opportunity for Boyle but once again the ball whistled past that same upright. The third chance fell to Hanlon. A corner from the Hibs left was just begging to be headed home but Hanlon failed to make a decent contact and the ball drifted wide.

So far, the loathsome Morelos had featured hardly at all and much of that was down to how well Porteous had him under control. Thankfully, there was no deliberate stamping this time around and Porto left the field at half time having first removed Morelos from his back pocket.

Hibs started the second half much as they had started the first, allowing Rangers to dominate the ball. That was baffling to me as we’d finished the first half so strongly, we should have started the second on the front foot. Ten minutes in, Goldson had a chance with a header but got too much elevation on it before Gogic, with his foot this time, did much the same at the other end.

Just past the hour mark, Hibs conceded again. Ryan Kent picked the ball up wide on the right and started to jink his way along the eighteen yard line. Both Doig and Gogic made no attempt to close him down and the Rangers man accepted the gift of a free shot at goal to beat Marciano down low to his right. Soon after, Barisic was booked for a foul on Boyle, not his first foul of the afternoon even though he tried to persuade Don Robertson that it was. About five minutes later, Jack Ross replaced Doidge with Cadden and pushed Boyle up top beside Nisbet who soon set up Boyle for a shot at goal which McGregor saved.

Next in the book was Kamara who fouled Nisbet when Joe was heading toward their goal. It was about twenty five yards from goal and the resultant free kick saw Kevin Nisbet force a decent save out of McGregor. A corner from the Hibs left saw the ball eventually headed home by Porteous from close range but referee Robertson had spotted some kind of infringement and disallowed the goal. It wasn’t obvious to me what the offence was but at a guess I’d say Hanlon was guilty of breathing on his marker. With around twenty minutes left, Gerrard decided to remove Morelos from Porto’s pocket and bring on Hagi with the new man seeing an early effort go wide of the target.

Hibs were beginning to enjoy a lot more possession and with twelve minutes left, good work down the right by Cadden and McGinn saw the latter deliver a cross right onto the head of Kevin Nisbet who cleverly steered the ball into McGregor’s right hand side of the net. Now back at 2-1, Hibs began looking for a leveller but were mindful of leaving themselves short at the back. Magennis then replaced Irvine and was soon involved in the action, getting hauled down by Arfield to win a free kick.

With the clock ticking down, Hagi had an effort easily saved by Marciano. Incidentally, Hagi at one point threw himself to the ground under a challenge by Newell but strangely such an obvious dive went unpunished by referee Robertson. Hibs decided to go for broke, pushing Hanlon further forward and bringing on Hallberg for Gogic to look after the back door. Rangers didn’t look quite so cocky now and Helander was booked for bringing down Boyle, again not for the first time.

In an effort to run down the clock, Gerrard made a double substitution, but it was Hibs that looked more likely to score. A cross from Cadden was just too high for Nisbet to make good contact and then Boyle raced away down the right only to offer up a poor cross into the middle. That basically brought an end to the game and obviously meant we’d lost a bit of the gap between ourselves and Aberdeen who won yesterday.

The players

Marciano – Rocky was blameless at both goals and his save low down from Roofe’s header just before the first goal is worthy of mention.

McGinn – Paul was a bit suspect at times but overall, he did ok with both defending and attacking.

Porteous – The big fella had Morelos on toast and despite a couple of careless clearances he put in a great shift and wins my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Caught out a few times but no damage done as a result, he played well enough in my view.

Doig – I worried for Josh when I saw the 4-4-2 set up as defensively, he’s still a little naïve. Rangers seemed to target that side of the park and Josh found himself facing two opponents at times.

Boyle – An undeserved booking in my view didn’t stop him running at players again and he was unlucky with the effort that flew just wide of goal in the first half.

Irvine – I’m sorry to say I thought he was really poor today.

Newell – Finished both halves well which might add fuel to the thoughts of some that he only sparks into life when we’re on top in games.

Gogic – Did his job well enough and I was delighted when the man who can’t pass a ball sent Nisbet through with a delightful pass, hit at just the right pace.

Doidge – The big lad struggled a wee bit today as Helander pretty much had the making of him.

Nisbet - Quiet for long spells he still managed to link play well and his headed goal was a peach.

Cadden – I thought Chris did well for the half hour he got and was involved in the build up to our goal.

Magennis – More important minutes under his belt.

Hallberg – Did the job asked of him.

The referee – I don’t think Boyle should have been booked and I’m totally mystified as to why he chalked off the Porteous goal that looked perfectly legal to me.

Jack Ross – Haven’t heard or read his thoughts but I’d guess he’ll be disappointed we didn’t capitalise on some very good opportunities to score.
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great review, Porteous outstanding today, Hanlon solid. Mcginn and doig dealt with most crosses, midfield quiet. Great finish by Nisbet. Rangers were there for the ttaking today..

@hibs.net private member
    Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy, I agree with you on Irvine, I also thought he was poor at QOS so maybe he needs a place on the bench for a week or two to see if he can re-gain his form.

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brilliant as usual Jonnyboy, I agree with you on Irvine, I also thought he was poor at QOS so maybe he needs a place on the bench for a week or two to see if he can re-gain his form.
    To be honest he hasn't exactly been that great since he signed

Was their first goal not a shot (a good one) after a fortunate rebound off Porto rather than an assist by Roofe?
    Bit harsh on Gogic for their 2nd JB. Agree he could have been tighter but it was a great strike to be fair.
    Agree Porto MoM. Irvine didn't shine but I didn't see him do much wrong.
    Should have been 2-2 for sure. In fact it was 2-2 in everybody's book except the ref's. Def deserved a point today.

In fairness I do think it was poor from Marciano in the build up for their first goal. The header was low but right at him, he done well to get down to it but he put it right back in the danger area at head height which is something he does often.

Porteous was fantastic and it’s performances like that which makes me even more frustrated when he makes a howler like against Livi. My motm as he never put a foot wrong, Hanlon was also brilliant Imo.

Irvine still played a couple of brilliant through balls but for me him and Newell should switch positions. Newell is better on the half turn and in tight areas.

Nisbet and Boyle both very good and a constant threat. Thought Doidge done well and was surprised he was subbed as I thought he might be needed when we overload the box with crosses nearer the end.

Doig pretty quiet again for me but he was often up against 2 players.
    Last edited by Unseen work; 11-04-2021 at 06:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Thanks for posting

Better than the Pink

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Absolutely stinking decision to chalk off Porteous goal . Sure it was one of their own players , who knocked over another.
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

I don’t think we will throw 3rd place from the position we are in but how should we deal with it if we do?

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Absolutely stinking decision to chalk off Porteous goal . Sure it was one of their own players , who knocked over another.
    Can you get booked for simulation in your own box?

Very frustrating. Rangers were there for the taking since they pretty much phoned in a low intensity performance and still beat us - with a helping hand from the ref and a cracking strike from Kent.
    Lots of good Hibs displays but we needed more from Irvine & Newell in the engine room since Kamara & Davis are top players, even when they’re coasting.
    Porteous was really good. A stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    So far this season against the Zombies, Morelos stamps on a player right in front of Clancy, no card, a tangle of legs ! Newell almost decapitated in the box right in front of Collum, not even a foul ! And now a mystery foul to stop Hibs equalising from Robertson plus a caution for simulation to Martin Boyle who gets straight up and doesn’t even look for a foul. However don’t worry, these things even out over the season, oops bollocks, league season against them now over ! Also when are the hierarchy at our club going to stand up for our players against what is now quite clearly an orchestrated campaign of victimisation against one of our players by the Sportscene team who once again go for Boyle having a couple of weeks ago glossed over and failed to call out a Celtc player taking a ridiculous dive in their game. Take the fine, ban the cameras and tell the BBC to GTF !

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    So far this season against the Zombies, Morelos stamps on a player right in front of Clancy, no card, a tangle of legs ! Newell almost decapitated in the box right in front of Collum, not even a foul ! And now a mystery foul to stop Hibs equalising from Robertson plus a caution for simulation to Martin Boyle who gets straight up and doesn’t even look for a foul. However don’t worry, these things even out over the season, oops bollocks, league season against them now over ! Also when are the hierarchy at our club going to stand up for our players against what is now quite clearly an orchestrated campaign of victimisation against one of our players by the Sportscene team who once again go for Boyle having a couple of weeks ago glossed over and failed to call out a Celtc player taking a ridiculous dive in their game. Take the fine, ban the cameras and tell the BBC to GTF !
    It wouldn't have been an equaliser, it would have made it two one.

Also, work remembering that our equaliser at Easter road was offside.

We're still definitely down one or two, but it's not quite as bad as people are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Very frustrating. Rangers were there for the taking since they pretty much phoned in a low intensity performance and still beat us - with a helping hand from the ref and a cracking strike from Kent.
    Lots of good Hibs displays but we needed more from Irvine & Newell in the engine room since Kamara & Davis are top players, even when they’re coasting.
    Funny how in the the two matches at Ibrox and the last game at Easter Road it is reported that the new Hun were below par. Maybe credit should be directed at the Hibees for not allowing them to play. All three matches have relied heavily on a 'referee' getting them a result.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post

Agree with this and JB’s match report.

We were cheated out of a point, but we also started very slow and the Rangers never really got out of 2nd gear.

I believe there is more to come from our team, hopefully more intensity and sharpness in the final third.

I enjoyed the game and was proud of the team.
    Very disciplined, hard working and competed well throughout.
    Only difference between the teams was the quality of the finishing.
    High quality players up front make that difference and Kent did that for the opposition. However, that quality came in at a cost of £9 million whereas our whole team and subs were brought in for less than £1 million so it is never easy to keep all of their quality quiet all game.

Conclusion - Hibs looked like a real good team on Sunday who weren't there just to hang on or go gung ho and ride their luck. Ross appears to have the foundations well in place now. Hold onto Irvine, add another couple of starters and we are looking good for further improvement and 3rd place again next season.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 13-04-2021 at 04:32 PM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    I enjoyed the game and was proud of the team.
    Very disciplined, hard working and competed well throughout.
    Only difference between the teams was the quality of the finishing.
    High quality players up front make that difference and Kent did that for the opposition. However, that quality came in at a cost of £9 million whereas our whole team and subs were brought in for less than £1 million so it is never easy to keep all of their quality quiet all game.

Conclusion - Hibs looked like a real good team on Sunday who weren't there just to hang on or go gung ho and ride their luck. Ross appears to have the foundations well in place now. Hold onto Irvine, add another couple of starters and we are looking good for further improvement and 3rd place again next season.
    Agree with all that. We are only getting better that is for sure imo.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Interesting that the sport sound pundits were unanimous on Ryan’s goal - they all said it should have stood.

Of course the rest of the Glasgow media ignored the issue, so nothing will ever change.