hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough

Goal scoring midfielder

I know they are hard to come by.

But Cadden, Irvine, Newell, Gogic Wright etc. just dont find the net regularly, and apart from Nisbet and Boyle we cant rely on anyone else to chip in.

We need to try and unearth someone from somwhere.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by noz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

But Cadden, Irvine, Newell, Gogic Wright etc. just dont find the net regularly, and apart from Nisbet and Boyle we cant rely on anyone else to chip in.

I think that’s much to do with tactics.

Scott Allan

We can't even rely on nisbet tbh, he's been Absolutely pony since January.

Knew what I was doing there..
    Last edited by JammyDoidger; 11-04-2021 at 03:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Pat McGinlay

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Not In The Know View Post
    I think that’s much to do with tactics.
    I take your point, but lucky if all the players mentioned have got 4 goals between them. That is poor.

Nisbet gets one back

Jamie McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by noz View Post

Am surprised Irvine hasn’t scored yet A fit Mcgennis will chip in but would be surprised if he gets more than 6 in a season
    Cadden I think isn’t going to score many based o missed chances to date but with a full ore season behind him that hopefully changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Jamie McGrath
    Defo

If you’re including Wright and Cadden as midfielders then surely Boyle comes under that too?

We’re the only team outwith rangers to have 3 players in double figures for the season.

Jamie McGrath has very good stats but 90% of his goals have been pens. Stats don’t tell the full story.

Really surprised Irvine hasn’t scored yet but they’ll come.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by badabing67 View Post
    Jamie McGrath
    He wouldn’t get a game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    If you’re including Wright and Cadden as midfielders then surely Boyle comes under that too?

We’re the only team outwith rangers to have 3 players in double figures for the season.

Jamie McGrath has very good stats but 90% of his goals have been pens. Stats don’t tell the full story.

Irvine has had a few chances but been very careless and most have not needed saves. Very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Agree with this. And I’m not really fussed if all our goals tend to come from strikers rather than midfielders, it’s what they’re there for. As long as we are scoring what we need to in order to win games it doesn’t bother me if a midfielder doesn’t score all season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Magennis should be scoring he has the quality. I'm unsure on Irvine going forward. Weighing up his lack of football pre Hibs I'm guessing he's feeling the effects now. He's likely to be a high wage for us. Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Agree with this. And I’m not really fussed if all our goals tend to come from strikers rather than midfielders, it’s what they’re there for. As long as we are scoring what we need to in order to win games it doesn’t bother me if a midfielder doesn’t score all season.
    Midfielders scoring means marking required leaving more room for strikers.

Genuinely interested to know why people think Magennis will get us goals?

Was he a prolific scorer for st mitten or something?

If it's based on his performances in a Hibs shirt then I've seen very little at all this season to make me think he'll score goals for us

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee Mac View Post
    Genuinely interested to know why people think Magennis will get us goals?

Was he a prolific scorer for st mitten or something?

If it's based on his performances in a Hibs shirt then I've seen very little at all this season to make me think he'll score goals for us
    No he's scored 4 goals in just under 50 league appearances in the Premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    He wouldn’t get a game for us.
    Yes he would?...

We also have a goal-scoring midfielder currently in Turkey.

Lack of goals from midfield is a big failing for me this year. Glad Ross acknowledged it at the AGM and that it’s something they’re looking at.

It’s not all about one player scoring 12-15 (although it would be nice if someone did). But midfielders should be looking to chip in. We’re far too reliant on Boyle, Nisbet and even Doidge who hasn’t been prolific this year. They need more help.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Yes he would?...

We also have a goal-scoring midfielder currently in Turkey.
    He didn’t really score many goals for us before he left for Turkey. Let’s not start pretending he was performing

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    He didn’t really score many goals for us before he left for Turkey. Let’s not start pretending he was performing
    It's funny how few goals a player tends to score when they're sat in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Midfielders scoring means marking required leaving more room for strikers.
    Maybe they’re being marked and our strikers are getting the room and scoring goals.

Goalscoring midfielders, as in proper midfielders and not a number 10 type player, are like goldust and cost a fair whack.

We do need one but then I'd imagine every single team in the league is probably looking for one.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I wish we could figure out what made Mallan so brilliant in his first season with us.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Goalscoring midfielders, as in proper midfielders and not a number 10 type player, are like goldust and cost a fair whack.

We do need one but then I'd imagine every single team in the league is probably looking for one.
    There’s barely a team in the league with one. Arfield is probably as close as they come and he barely plays every week. If they’re adding something different then I’m delighted to find someone better, but I’m also extremely pleased with our goal return this season while also being much stronger defensively. I also don’t think around 10 goals (not counting Boyle) from midfield is a bad return. Just so happens most of our midfielders score 1/2 each.

Not a midfield player but Cole at Motherwell has some decent stats. A goal every 185 minutes in the league which is the same as Nisbet

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    Newell has had a number of decent opportunities to score throughout the season. Should probably be on 5ish.

Add to that Jamie Murphy, he’s missed a few chances, most notably in the semi final.

Whilst I’m at it Magennis also missed a sitter in the first half v Hearts.

So our midfielders are getting in to good areas, perhaps just some finishing practice required.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    Not a midfield player but Cole at Motherwell has some decent stats. A goal every 185 minutes in the league which is the same as Nisbet
    I was really impressed with him at ER a few weeks back.

Gave us loads of problems and put in the sort of performance you might expect from someone with a much bigger reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Pat McGinlay
    That was the name I immediately thought of though ironically one of the goals I remember him scoring was an og at Parkhead in a 6 . 0 thrashing .