hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fully accept that plenty folk have plenty to dislike about the Royal family but priviliged life or not, past foot-in-mouth moments or not, he was the Queen's husband. That is what makes things a tad different from the average Joe Bloggs in the street. To imply that the funeral of the Queen's husband should be no different to the average man is plain ridiculous and a very poor angle on any anti-Royal Family argument. I repeat, I am no Royalist and am generally highly critical of all the fawning over the Royals that persists through much of the media and a good proportion of the population, but I can live with a 2-3 hour window of no formal sport this Saturday as a mark of respect for the passing of the Queen's husband. No-one will be forced to watch it - I certainly won't - nor indeed to mark the one-minute silence although no doubt some neanderthals will set off fireworks during it and think they are radical rebels rather than just complete tits.
    Watch catch-up, Time for Heroes dvd or Film 4, go for a walk, play golf, dust and hoover with Lynyrd Skynyrd at full volume through your headphones, whatever. It will be a minor inconvenience and we'll all get to see the mighty Hibees pump Stranraer without too much delay.
    I feel that you aren't understanding the viewpoint of many of us, many feel the institution shouldn't exist. For that reason many believe, it should be no different from the average Joe Bloggs. The fact he was the Queen's husband is irrelevant. The Queen means nothing to many of us.

I think if you were to compare to other monarchies, ones that aren't so elitist and antiquated, you would not see the same levels of coverage and expectation for everything to stop for them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Does anyone know what’s actually happening with the game yet ?

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    I feel that you aren't understanding the viewpoint of many of us, many feel the institution shouldn't exist. For that reason many believe, it should be no different from the average Joe Bloggs. The fact he was the Queen's husband is irrelevant. The Queen means nothing to many of us.

I think if you were to compare to other monarchies, ones that aren't so elitist and antiquated, you would not see the same levels of coverage and expectation for everything to stop for them.
    I agree with you.

The funeral should be televised for those that want to see it and pay their respects.

It shouldn’t be forced upon all of us though.

@hibs.net private member
    So the funeral of the husband/wife of a serving President of a Republic would pass off un-noticed like the average person's?
    Someone who was voted in on merit?
    No. It would be marked.
    Last edited by hibee316; 11-04-2021 at 09:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    Does anyone know what’s actually happening with the game yet ?
    Issue is the already horrendously congested deadline. BBC news seemed to be saying discussions with fa and sfa to rearrange. Would be a total nonsense for all sport to be cancelled Saturday afternoon imo. The timing of 3 pm is being deliberately awkward imo.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    Someone who was voted in on merit?
    No. It would be marked.
    Last post for now as I'm away out.

If someone has done something noteworthy in their life, I feel this should be marked on their passing.

Otherwise no. Regardless of what they like to call.themselves :)

Have a nice day!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Issue is the already horrendously congested deadline. BBC news seemed to be saying discussions with fa and sfa to rearrange. Would be a total nonsense for all sport to be cancelled Saturday afternoon imo. The timing of 3 pm is being deliberately awkward imo.
    I wonder if starting a petition to allow sport on Saturday afternoon and not have the funeral disrupt normal sporting arrangements. I'm sure over 100,000 would sign it if it was still worded in a respectful way.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AphroG View Post
    I wonder if starting a petition to allow sport on Saturday afternoon and not have the funeral disrupt normal sporting arrangements. I'm sure over 100,000 would sign it if it was still worded in a respectful way.

At the very least it would counter the media narrative that we are all crying into our cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree completely. It's almost like it's a reminder they are our betters.

I'm no Royalist but the increasing amount of disrespect in so many aspects of life is really p****** me off. Some of the things I have seen written about the Chooky and the Royal family over the last day and a half have been horrendous.
    Like it or not the old boy should be awarded the respect his position deserves and if that means no sport over the period of the funeral so be it. I don't see a problem with evening kick offs that day though.

You have a strange sense of what constitutes 'respect' for some auld guy that none of us actually knew.

Were all the games aff the telly when my Grandad died? If not, then where was your 'respect' that day?

What a boring 1st post
    Stirring *******.
    LTJF

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    What a boring 1st post
    Stirring *******.
    LTJF

United we stand here....

What a boring 1st post
    Stirring *******.
    LTJF
    Bit of a boring reply as well tbf. The guy is only suggesting a way of people making their feelings known.

Left by mutual consent!
    What a boring 1st post
    Stirring *******.
    LTJF
    I'm sure Yams have a similar respect that you obviously have for the old racist. Maybe you should post on their forum if that is how you feel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Hmmm. It's an emotive quote, but it's about gun control.

I disagree with him, and I'm a republican, but having the view that guns shouldn't be banned doesn't, in itself, make you horrible.

It makes you wrong. In my view.
    So to use a massacre of children as an anology is ok?
    Really?
    Imagine claiming that I am wrong for thinking that quote is disgusting.
    Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kaimendhibs; 11-04-2021 at 09:54 AM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Hmmm. It's an emotive quote, but it's about gun control.

I disagree with him, and I'm a republican, but having the view that guns shouldn't be banned doesn't, in itself, make you horrible.

It makes you wrong. In my view.
    Surely it’s the use of the deaths of many innocent children as part of some crass analogy to make his point which is horrible rather than his opinion on gun control?

@hibs.net private member
    Apologies if this is off topic given the current discussion, has there been any word re our game being moved?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    You have a strange sense of what constitutes 'respect' for some auld guy that none of us actually knew.

Were all the games aff the telly when my Grandad died? If not, then where was your 'respect' that day?
    Totally agree with you. Why should we, as individuals, be expected to bow to someone we didn't know, and in my case, didn't care a jot about monarchy? Each to their own, but I certainly won't be silent at 1500 next Saturday. And I hope the SFA do the right thing and play the games at the allocated times.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Surely it’s the use of the deaths of many innocent children as part of some crass analogy to make his point which is horrible rather than his opinion on gun control?
    Exactly. I never mentioned gun control. He was a despicable racist and if he hadnt been so priveleged he would have been called out for it.
    I have no opinion on gun control.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Apologies if this is off topic given the current discussion, has there been any word re our game being moved?
    I think they will toil to move the games as there are hardly any windows left. But they might move ko time which will probably mean it'll be pulled from BBC schedule.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    They should put the funeral on PPV with all proceeds going to the Duke of Edinburgh’s foundation or whatever. Then whoever cares enough to watch can chip in and contribute to the continuation of all the incredible selfless deeds he did throughout his life.

The rest of us can then get on with what really matters - watching the cabbage pump some diddy team on the way to another Scottish Cup triumph 🏆

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    They should put the funeral on PPV with all proceeds going to the Duke of Edinburgh’s foundation or whatever. Then whoever cares enough to watch can chip in and contribute to the continuation of all the incredible selfless deeds he did throughout his life.

The rest of us can then get on with what really matters - watching the cabbage pump some diddy team on the way to another Scottish Cup triumph
    Well said

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Not yet, just the statement that got released yesterday saying discussions were underway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Not yet, just the statement that got released yesterday saying discussions were underway.
    Fingers crossed we hear today. I was actually hoping to watch the match somehow in the garden with my mate with beers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/scotfootb...=1618132655025
    Surely he would have wanted his favourite football team to carry on as normal with no change to the fixture.

Just a few minutes ago on BBC Scotland channel(before sportscene)advertising game at time initially scheduled (12.00 BBC ONE Scotland)
    But i still think it may change before weeks end

Saturdays Scottish Grand National now to take place on Sunday.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 11-04-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/scotfootb...=1618132655025
    Surely he would have wanted his favourite football team to carry on as normal with no change to the fixture.

I'm sure Yams have a similar respect that you obviously have for the old racist. Maybe you should post on their forum if that is how you feel?

You have joined a Hibs supporters site yet have no interest in speaking about football.
    I smell *****

Quote Originally Posted by hibby rae View Post
    Bit of a boring reply as well tbf. The guy is only suggesting a way of people making their feelings known.
    and he thought he would join a Hibs supporters site solely for the purpose of telling us

The guy hasn't ever posted about Hibs or today's game.
    I suspect he/she has registered and posted on many sites in the last few days.
    A gas lighter dude looking to cause discord.

@hibs.net private member
    Firstly I expect the match to be moved as all BBC channels will be swamped with wall to wall coverage of his funeral.

Personally I think that the coverage has been totally over the top. But you can't blame anyone other than MSM for that.

The royal family should be leading by example. Harry should not be flying in from the USA. There will be no time for him to self isolate. The funeral should be restricted to 30 people or whatever the law is in England. Personally I have lost 3 aunts and uncles during lockdown. My mum couldn't even attend her sister's funeral due to rules in place at the time.
    Even the Royal family should live by the laws of the land.
    Last edited by PatHead; 11-04-2021 at 07:17 PM.