hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    At a time when many have been unable to attend the funerals of close family members, the wall to wall media coverage of Prince Philip's passing and "stop the world" approach to his funeral could be seen as a tad insensitive. Those who wish to pay respect will have ample opportunity to do so through every BBC TV and radio channel over the coming week and for days beyond. No need to go beyond a minutes silence and an arm band.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bbc Scotland main Channel and Iplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    It is scheduled for the BBC Scotland channnel
    Don’t see any reason for it to be pulled then.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Don’t see any reason for it to be pulled then.
    Aye but there was no reason for the Hearts game to get pulled last night but it still was.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Aye but there was no reason for the Hearts game to get pulled last night but it still was.
    It was on BBC iplayer and BBC sport online though

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    Thats not right that they are expected to play 4 games in that time.
    They are surely entitled to ask that the Thursday game be cancelled and played after cup tie.
    That schedule would be tough enough for full time pros.
    It was the League 1 and 2 clubs that came up with that schedule so they could restart and fit in 22 games.

First Team Breakthrough
    The match is scheduled for BBC ONE Scotland, not the BBC Scotland* channel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vdz8

(And for whoever it was asking about BBC Two Scotland earlier, that channel no longer exists; it was closed when the BBC Scotland channel opened).

ETA: *Confusion probably caused by the channel having the same name as the organisation.
    Last edited by mal; 10-04-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    The match is scheduled for BBC ONE Scotland, not the BBC Scotland* channel: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vdz8

(And for whoever it was asking about BBC Two Scotland earlier, that channel no longer exists; it was closed when the BBC Scotland channel opened).

ETA: *Confusion probably caused by the channel having the same name as the organisation.
    It was the SFA website that i first saw the schedule for the upcoming game and they gave it as...
    BBC Scotland ....Not BBC 1 Scotland
    Anyway looks like the beeb will not show any football that day

"Its all Greek to me "!!
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 10-04-2021 at 08:01 PM.

It was the SFA website that i first saw the schedule for the upcoming game and they gave it as...
    BBC Scotland Not BBC 1 Scotland
    Definitely BBC One Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56652477

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Am not disputing that
    Just pointing out the SFA website, it appears ,initially got it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by G15 Hibs View Post
    It was the League 1 and 2 clubs that came up with that schedule so they could restart and fit in 22 games.
    Was not aware of that
    Hard work for them all!

First Team Breakthrough
    Am not disputing that
    Just pointing out the SFA website, it appears ,initially got it wrong
    From what I can see, the SFA site just listed the organisations that bought the rights (BBC Scotland and Premier Sports) without specifying the actual channels, it's just that "BBC Scotland" is also a channel name. All moot now anyway.

Friday's Scottish Cup tie is on the BBC Scotland channel.

I wonder if there's any scope for moving Saturday's ties to Sunday.

I'm no Royalist but the increasing amount of disrespect in so many aspects of life is really p****** me off. Some of the things I have seen written about the Chooky and the Royal family over the last day and a half have been horrendous.
    Like it or not the old boy should be awarded the respect his position deserves and if that means no sport over the period of the funeral so be it. I don't see a problem with evening kick offs that day though.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    I'm no Royalist but the increasing amount of disrespect in so many aspects of life is really p****** me off. Some of the things I have seen written about the Chooky and the Royal family over the last day and a half have been horrendous.
    Like it or not the old boy should be awarded the respect his position deserves and if that means no sport over the period of the funeral so be it. I don't see a problem with evening kick offs that day though.
    If you want to be able to watch it then you should be able to.

Why should people that don’t want to watch it have it forced down their throat though?

What respect does his position deserve? I don’t mean that as a disparaging remark. He is no better than anybody else, he’s human like the rest of us, no less, no more.

Coaching Staff
    Whether his position deserved any particular respect is a matter of opinion.

It shouldn’t be impacting on the ability of the rest of us to get on with things - not much else to be doing right now to enjoy yourself so cancelling people’s pastimes for it is a bit much.

Respect him if you want. Not in my name

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Respect him if you want. Not in my name

Horrible man

Epl changing kick off times.

I believe the monarchy is an insult to the population and should be abolished. So why would I have any respect for the position he attained?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Horrible man

Hmmm. It's an emotive quote, but it's about gun control.

I disagree with him, and I'm a republican, but having the view that guns shouldn't be banned doesn't, in itself, make you horrible.

It makes you wrong. In my view.

Surely that respect went when the position of Queen and royal family was used to keep Andrew out of trouble? Its mental to think they deserve any bit of respect while they are protecting an alleged peadophile.

Funeral isn't till 3pm so no reason for game not to be shown first.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    If the game does go ahead at the original time it certainly won’t be on TV, and would be iPlayer only.

I’d imagine the old firm will definitely end up on the Sunday and the rest of the Saturday games will either be moved to Sunday or possibly offered an evening kick off on Saturday or something? We’ll be moved to a time the BBC can fit us in on Tv so who knows

I'm sure the Duke of Edinburgh wouldn't have wanted Edinburgh's premier football team and their fans to have our game canceled.

Re the Duke himself, he was a product of his class, his upbringing, and the era he was born in. If people want to pay their respects for the good things he did or/and the position he held that's fine by me. I'm guessing he'd be quite baffled himself at the wall to wall "pretendy grief" as a previous poster described it. It's also quite ironic that the insensitive unthinking bluntness he was ridiculed for during his life is now being repackaged as some kind of whimsical and endearing personality trait.

@hibs.net private member

The abuse has been horrendous, but this part of your post I couldn't disagree more with.
    I can see why people get so angry when this is a prevalent view across the media as well.

He lived a life, IMO, of completely undeserved privaledge, and in death this continues.

Propel mention the good things he has done, but nearly all were part of his role anyway and he would have had a team of people to cater for his every need along the way.

I will not say anything abusive, as that is wrong, he was a man and deserves every respect for that. His family need time to grieve.

The nation does not need time to grieve.

It's just sticking it down the throat of the average person that you will never be given such undeserved privaledge.

Thousands of folk recently have lost their lives and their families were not allowed to grieve properly.

The abuse is never acceptable.

The anger is more than acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    The issue could be if it went to extra time and penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    The abuse has been horrendous, but this part of your post I couldn't disagree more with.
    I can see why people get so angry when this is a prevalent view across the media as well.

He lived a life, IMO, of completely undeserved privaledge, and in death this continues.

Propel mention the good things he has done, but nearly all were part of his role anyway and he would have had a team of people to cater for his every need along the way.

I will not say anything abusive, as that is wrong, he was a man and deserves every respect for that. His family need time to grieve.

The nation does not need time to grieve.

It's just sticking it down the throat of the average person that you will never be given such undeserved privaledge.

Thousands of folk recently have lost their lives and their families were not allowed to grieve properly.

The abuse is never acceptable.

The anger is more than acceptable.
    I fully accept that plenty folk have plenty to dislike about the Royal family but priviliged life or not, past foot-in-mouth moments or not, he was the Queen's husband. That is what makes things a tad different from the average Joe Bloggs in the street. To imply that the funeral of the Queen's husband should be no different to the average man is plain ridiculous and a very poor angle on any anti-Royal Family argument. I repeat, I am no Royalist and am generally highly critical of all the fawning over the Royals that persists through much of the media and a good proportion of the population, but I can live with a 2-3 hour window of no formal sport this Saturday as a mark of respect for the passing of the Queen's husband. No-one will be forced to watch it - I certainly won't - nor indeed to mark the one-minute silence although no doubt some neanderthals will set off fireworks during it and think they are radical rebels rather than just complete tits.
    Watch catch-up, Time for Heroes dvd or Film 4, go for a walk, play golf, dust and hoover with Lynyrd Skynyrd at full volume through your headphones, whatever. It will be a minor inconvenience and we'll all get to see the mighty Hibees pump Stranraer without too much delay.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Don't see any reason for our game being moved though no doubt it will be. Surely would have made more sense for the funeral to be in the morning rather than have it when most sports would be on. Deliberate forcing of it onto the public imo.

@hibs.net private member
    To imply that the funeral of the Queen's husband should be no different to the average man is plain ridiculous
    I would say this is the inherent problem for me. Why do you think it is ridiculous? Just because I am going against something that has always been done? Because it goes against the grain of what we have been told since we were wee?

In my opinion, it is very easy to fall into a trap that royalty, celebrities, public figures are somehow better or more special than everyone else, with none of it being on merit.

Because he was the "queens husband", doesn't do it for me.

There are plenty countries around the world where they have either rejected or done away with royalty. They would not think this point of view ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I'm not overtly anti-royal! I'm anti doing something just because we have always done it and praising folk for which f@nny they came out of :)

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Don't see any reason for our game being moved though no doubt it will be. Surely would have made more sense for the funeral to be in the morning rather than have it when most sports would be on. Deliberate forcing of it onto the public imo.
    Totally agree. Very little for the public to enjoy at the moment. Sport on a Saturday is a bit of a saviour. Could have the funeral any time they wanted given there’s only 30 folk going and it’s not as if any of them had to take a day of work to attend. Everyone else will just need to rearrange things to suit though.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee316 View Post
    I would say this is the inherent problem for me. Why do you think it is ridiculous? Just because I am going against something that has always been done? Because it goes against the grain of what we have been told since we were wee?

In my opinion, it is very easy to fall into a trap that royalty, celebrities, public figures are somehow better or more special than everyone else, with none of it being on merit.

Because he was the "queens husband", doesn't do it for me.

There are plenty countries around the world where they have either rejected or done away with royalty. They would not think this point of view ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I'm not overtly anti-royal! I'm anti doing something just because we have always done it and praising folk for which f@nny they came out of :)
    So the funeral of the husband/wife of a serving President of a Republic would pass off un-noticed like the average person's?