hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 182
  1. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youíre not right here.

    Latest example being Dayot Upemecano signing for Bayern. Heíll join them in the summer but the fee and the players deal are all agreed already.

    The Scott Brown scenario was exactly the same.
    Yep. Great example. Literally announced on bayern website.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree that our last batch of proper reinvesting didn't work - it just ended up being a bit delayed in when it worked.

    Just now Aberdeen have a stadium that either needs a lot of work or a new stadium altogether, Hearts are £20m into a new stand and markedly inferior training facilities. We have HTC, we have the new East Stand. The problems came from not investing enough in the team - Petrie looked after every penny to the detriment of the first team in the end. When we won the Scottish cup, Lennon blew a lot of it on absolute dross like Big Dave, Slivka and the like.

    With no immediate infrastructure work, a reasonable recent record in scouting and excellent training facilities, we're miles ahead in what we can do with player sales compared to our rivals, even with us all feeling the effects of the pandemic.

    Player sales can be a good thing - as long as you have enough depth in that position (and with Stevenson and Mackie we do), and the scouting of new talent to bring in with that money is good (and we've really been the best we have been in years at that just now).

    Not desperate to see Doig go, but would also be excited to see where we could propel ourselves with a couple of million in our pockets.

    I think it's because we've not seen enough reinvestment in the first team in recent years that we've
    Slivka was one of the better players Lennon signed. Far from dross. 3 winners against the old firm. We've had much, much worse even recently.

  4. #93
    This is why I don't see how us or Aberdeen or even god forbid Hearts can be expected to ever win a league title again.

    You cannot assemble a squad that solidifies itself and starts to make a title push before clubs down south (not even big ones) start circling. Millions already being thrown at Nisbet, Doig too.

    I'm not saying that this squad per se would be future title contenders if left alone, but we'll never have the chance to find out because of the way modern football has gone. There's no time to build anything.

    Jean-Marc Bosman has doomed us forever.

  5. #94
    @hibs.net private member HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is why I don't see how us or Aberdeen or even god forbid Hearts can be expected to ever win a league title again.

    You cannot assemble a squad that solidifies itself and starts to make a title push before clubs down south (not even big ones) start circling. Millions already being thrown at Nisbet, Doig too.

    I'm not saying that this squad per se would be future title contenders if left alone, but we'll never have the chance to find out because of the way modern football has gone. There's no time to build anything.

    Jean-Marc Bosman has doomed us forever.
    It was managers like Jim McLean and the like that drove Jean-Marc Bosman to challenge the system.

  6. #95
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep. Great example. Literally announced on bayern website.
    And if we see similar before the window opens with JD and Leicester I will be back on here eating humble pie.............

  7. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was managers like Jim McLean and the like that drove Jean-Marc Bosman to challenge the system.
    Much preferred McLean's way to be quite honest with you.

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if we see similar before the window opens with JD and Leicester I will be back on here eating humble pie.............
    I mean, your argument has been wrong regardless of Doig moving or not

  9. #98
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Much preferred McLean's way to be quite honest with you.
    Some players that played under him may strongly disagree.

    It worked at the time, but it wouldn't now.

  10. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some players that played under him may strongly disagree.

    It worked at the time, but it wouldn't now.
    Possibly but there's not much about football at the moment that's "working" for anyone, apart from an elite 10% of footballers and agents.

    It's built on sand and will hopefully collapse.

  11. #100
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,454
    Until we get 30K+ fans in every home game we as a club will always be behind the 2 ugly sisters and will have to sell our better players every now and then to keep our head above water. We scrape about looking for for bargain free agents or pay for talent and hope to develop them like McGinn, Nisbet etc, we occasionally get a good talented youngster who we develop but we than have to sell because it helps balance the books and helps pay for the training ground etc.

    Gordon said his ambition was to double the wages within 5 years, unfortunately Covid have hit that on the head just now but until that does happen we will still be a club that develops and sells on the better players, right now all we can offer them is 1st team football, the odd cup run and occasional decent league position, that in itself may not be enough to tempt them to stay, Nisbet and Birmingham a good example of a player's head being turned for more cash.

  12. #101
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Until we get 30K+ fans in every home game we as a club will always be behind the 2 ugly sisters and will have to sell our better players every now and then to keep our head above water. We scrape about looking for for bargain free agents or pay for talent and hope to develop them like McGinn, Nisbet etc, we occasionally get a good talented youngster who we develop but we than have to sell because it helps balance the books and helps pay for the training ground etc.

    Gordon said his ambition was to double the wages within 5 years, unfortunately Covid have hit that on the head just now but until that does happen we will still be a club that develops and sells on the better players, right now all we can offer them is 1st team football, the odd cup run and occasional decent league position, that in itself may not be enough to tempt them to stay, Nisbet and Birmingham a good example of a player's head being turned for more cash.

    Of course we need to cut our cloth and all that and players will be sold to balance the books,. However. I think we are all hoping for a bit more in terms of what we can offer them. If we sell players at the first sniff of cash, then the club's going nowhere. Gordon has shown he means business, here's hoping that continues.

  13. #102
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    62
    Posts
    22,454
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course we need to cut our cloth and all that and players will be sold to balance the books,. However. I think we are all hoping for a bit more in terms of what we can offer them. If we sell players at the first sniff of cash, then the club's going nowhere. Gordon has shown he means business, here's hoping that continues.

    Unfortunately Covid has put a major spanner in the works, his 5 year plan may take longer and selling these young talented players may have to take place till we get through this.

  14. #103
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unfortunately Covid has put a major spanner in the works, his 5 year plan may take longer and selling these young talented players may have to take place till we get through this.
    Yes, Covid has been a game changer and what you say may well be what happens.

    That said, there is an opportunity for Hibs to consolidate our place as the best of the rest and hopefully the financial incentives associated with that would help us hold onto young talent a wee bit longer. Declining fees for Porteous and Nisbet gives me hope that we do that.

  15. #104
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    36,122
    Still think heís too young to head down south, for me he needs another season at Hibs

  16. #105
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,643
    RG confirmed interest from Brendan.

    Expects one of Nesbitt, Porteous or Doig to leave in the summer.

  17. #106
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RG confirmed interest from Brendan.

    Expects one of Nesbitt, Porteous or Doig to leave in the summer.
    Did he say these things at the AGM? i find that a bit odd.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    RG confirmed interest from Brendan.

    Expects one of Nesbitt, Porteous or Doig to leave in the summer.
    You might need to expand on that.

  19. #108
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,643
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he say these things at the AGM? i find that a bit odd.
    Youíll catch it on the podcast later.

    He was extremely positive about them all. Says itís a tricky balance trying to ensure we can stay competitive but allowing players to move on to a higher level where possible.

    Move has to be right for everyone, timing, price etc.

    Didnít concern me at all. Still talking about doubling our turnover by 2023. I didnít see the AGM but imagine he was interviewed after it.

  20. #109
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,643
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might need to expand on that.
    Sheesh, gimme a chance

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he say these things at the AGM? i find that a bit odd.
    In the Sportsound interview this evening he said it was possible that one may move in the summer - but he wasnt punting them out, just realistic that sometimes guys can make moves upward and opportunities can emerge that are good for all parties.

  22. #111
    @hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    32,787
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Still think heís too young to head down south, for me he needs another season at Hibs
    Absolutely think he would benefit from staying at Hibs for longer of course he and his agent may think differently.

  23. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by GloryGlory View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There's still time! "EXCLUSIVE! Rangers winning bidding war for Hibs want away star!"
    Fixed that for ya... !

  24. #113
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,685
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz23jc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fixed that for ya... !
    Should you not add something in about lifetime supporter? It had always been his ambition.........

  25. #114
    Testimonial Due MrRobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,614
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: calhill19
    He doesnít seem in a hurry to move given he just signed a new contract so no need to sell really.

  26. #115
    It wasnít that long ago that all a decent young Scottish player needed to do was string a couple of passes together before the tabloids were linking them with the OF. McGinn changed everything here. The uglies have been conspicuous by their absence in the Doig tabloid tittle tattle.

    Leicester for 5 mill plus a 25% of future transfer fee would be a good one for us and provide another Ďletís all laugh at ham tartsí moment.

  27. #116
    @hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,524
    Iíve said it before on here, I donít think any player should be looking to move to a better league before playing at least 100 games.

    Doig has signed a new contract and will be in no rush to leave. I can see Nisbet and Porto leaving before JD

  28. #117
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    7,663
    What better incentive for a young player we are keen on, seeing top English teams bid high for three or four of our current side after a good season or two.

    Would love Doig and Nisbet to get another full season with Hibs, but as RG said there is a balance to be found - it would not surprise me in the slightest for Celtic to try and come in for Doig under Howe. They won't keep Laxalt and Taylor is lightweight and not as athletic. To really progress, Josh needs to look at SJM and try England (for me).

    Josh is going to be a superb player if he continues as he's doing.

  29. #118
    Testimonial Due Crab apple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Pentlands
    Posts
    1,313
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve said it before on here, I donít think any player should be looking to move to a better league before playing at least 100 games.

    Doig has signed a new contract and will be in no rush to leave. I can see Nisbet and Porto leaving before JD
    Agreed. Kieran Tierney had 102 appearances before leaving the lessers. Moved to Arsenal for 25m and now attracting interest from Man City and Real for 50m. I think Doig has huge potential but a full season with us next year will benefit him and weíll see then if he goes on to develop as well as KT.

  30. #119
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    9,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Kieran Tierney had 102 appearances before leaving the lessers. Moved to Arsenal for 25m and now attracting interest from Man City and Real for 50m. I think Doig has huge potential but a full season with us next year will benefit him and weíll see then if he goes on to develop as well as KT.
    Agree ..Players should move to get at least some first team football at their next club ..Doig wouldnít be starting at a top league club down south - but he might in two years time ....he will be sent on loan at best if he moves in the summer ....

  31. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Youíll catch it on the podcast later.

    He was extremely positive about them all. Says itís a tricky balance trying to ensure we can stay competitive but allowing players to move on to a higher level where possible.

    Move has to be right for everyone, timing, price etc.

    Didnít concern me at all. Still talking about doubling our turnover by 2023. I didnít see the AGM but imagine he was interviewed after it.
    What podcast is this? Hibs. Net one?

    There's so many now I'm losing track

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)