hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 182
  1. #61
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,232
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's under contract until 2025, we should just come out and put a £10 million price tag on him and say he's going nowhere unless that valuation is met in an upfront payment. I'm sure the interest will disappear once those English clubs realise they are not getting him on the cheap.
    Player will be delighted with that and would do loads to encourage more young players to sign long term deals Iím sure.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #62
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,979
    Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's under contract until 2025, we should just come out and put a £10 million price tag on him and say he's going nowhere unless that valuation is met in an upfront payment. I'm sure the interest will disappear once those English clubs realise they are not getting him on the cheap.
    That would completely negate our ability to sign promising youngsters when they have other options.

    We need to sell our strategy, our model of player development, in-turn developing their careers from the earliest possible moment.

    Weíd be running a bulldozer through our strategy.

  4. #63
    @hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why on earth are these kind of stories even printed at this point?

    The window doesnt open for weeks...............

    and, agree the poster above - we need him more than we need £1.5m at the moment
    Who do we play at the weekend? In time honoured tradition Scottish media will look to unsettle the opposition regardless of how meaningless the game is to them winning the league.

  5. #64
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Window does not matter. Its a registration window. He could sign for them to tomorrow but he'd remain at hibs until they could register him in summer.
    Eh?

  6. #65
    How much did Celtic get for Kieran Tierney? How much did Rangers get for Alan Hutton?
    At his age Doig is as good if not better than both of these players at the same age. If he stays with us for two years clubs will be queuing up with much better offers.
    He reminds me so much of John Brownlie at that age and is on a par with him. Some of his delivery into the box is outstanding.
    If we get a run in Europe next year he will learn a lot and only improve. Clubs in England have paid £10m to £20m for 18 and 19 years old players.
    Don't make the mistake Hearts made with Hickey, who is a quality player IMHO.

  7. #66
    You aren't first choice left back at the team sitting 3rd in the Scottish Premiership at 18 years old unless you are a very good player. He's done exceptionally well.

  8. #67
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Doig has a lot to learn and Hibs is the best place for him to do just that. Thereís clearly a lot of potential there, but heís nowhere close to being the player we would all like him to become.

    Look at Porteous. When he broke through there was a lot of us on here saying how good he was/ would become. Three seasons in and heís maybe not quite the player some of our more optimistic posters thought he was?

    SJM was ahead of Doig in years and achievements when he joined Hibs. He progressed here and earneda big money move, after three seasons.

    Doig is in the same category for me. Good breakthrough season, but a long, long way to go. Itís a steep learning curve and heís established himself as a first team player, an excellent achievement. However, he needs to consolidate that and improve his all round game before even considering leaving Hibs.

  9. #68
    Testimonial Due Vini1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Glasgow
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,999
    Hopefully he is being advised that further game time will see his development improve and that another season would mean it is more likely that when he does move he will be able to command a starting berth at Leicester or wherever he ends up. Also the option of a European campaign will do his prospects no harm either. I hope we hold onto him for at least one more season.

  10. #69
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,218
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Eh?
    He's right.

    For example Scott Brown signing for Celtic was announced well before the transfer window opened.

    Not a pre contract but an actual transfer. Played against Celtic in his last game and scored the winner at Easter Road.

    Was registered first day of the transfer window.

  11. #70
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    39
    Posts
    25,232
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doig has a lot to learn and Hibs is the best place for him to do just that. Thereís clearly a lot of potential there, but heís nowhere close to being the player we would all like him to become.

    Look at Porteous. When he broke through there was a lot of us on here saying how good he was/ would become. Three seasons in and heís maybe not quite the player some of our more optimistic posters thought he was?

    SJM was ahead of Doig in years and achievements when he joined Hibs. He progressed here and earneda big money move, after three seasons.

    Doig is in the same category for me. Good breakthrough season, but a long, long way to go. Itís a steep learning curve and heís established himself as a first team player, an excellent achievement. However, he needs to consolidate that and improve his all round game before even considering leaving Hibs.
    Your first two paragraphs are almost a bit contradictory.

    I donít think Porteous is a good example FWIW, however to run with that, does that not just show that players donít alway fulfil their potential and thereís an element of having to take good offers for players when they come.

    The same very much applies to the player. If he gets the chance of a big move he 100% needs to take it. His form could dip, he could get injured, we could change manager and not get on with the new one

    The idea that if he stays at Hibs he will always progress how he has done doesnít stand up to any scrutiny. If youíre the player and you get the chance of joining a huge club, thereís absolutely. I question you need to take it.

  12. #71
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your first two paragraphs are almost a bit contradictory.

    I donít think Porteous is a good example FWIW, however to run with that, does that not just show that players donít alway fulfil their potential and thereís an element of having to take good offers for players when they come.

    The same very much applies to the player. If he gets the chance of a big move he 100% needs to take it. His form could dip, he could get injured, we could change manager and not get on with the new one

    The idea that if he stays at Hibs he will always progress how he has done doesnít stand up to any scrutiny. If youíre the player and you get the chance of joining a huge club, thereís absolutely. I question you need to take it.

    No, not contradictory I donít think.

    Itís not all about what the player wants either. I wouldnít be too desperate to sell of our assets and hope Hibs have more ambition for the club than you.

  13. #72
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's right.

    For example Scott Brown signing for Celtic was announced well before the transfer window opened.

    Not a pre contract but an actual transfer. Played against Celtic in his last game and scored the winner at Easter Road.

    Was registered first day of the transfer window.
    Brown had handed in and retracted a transfer request - it was known he was leaving, and there was clearly horse trading between Hibs / Celtic / Rangers and Browns agent.

    IIRC he finally agreed to join Celtic about a week before that final match when he scored against them.

    When the window opened, he signed a contract and was registered - 16th May to be exact.

    So, while a player and club can desire a move, they can not sign for another club til the window opens unless its a PCA and that wont apply to Doig.

  14. #73
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,857
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, not contradictory I donít think.

    Itís not all about what the player wants either. I wouldnít be too desperate to sell of our assets and hope Hibs have more ambition for the club than you.
    Needlessly harsh statement. There are going to be a lot of clubs desperate to sell this summer, and if we got Alan Campbell, Lawrence Shankland and Stephen O'Donnell for the sale of one player for example then that would strengthen us in three areas for losing a player in a position we're already well covered in.

    Selling players doesn't show a lack of ambition if it's reinvested very well.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  15. #74
    First Team Breakthrough Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Perthshire
    Posts
    124
    I was under the impression that a player could only sign a pre contract in the last year of his contract, is that still the case? If we accepted £1.5m for him then surely we wouldnít be able to buy another player with the same potential without spending a large chunk of that money. Better keep and enjoy him for a while.

  16. #75
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,218
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brown had handed in and retracted a transfer request - it was known he was leaving, and there was clearly horse trading between Hibs / Celtic / Rangers and Browns agent.

    IIRC he finally agreed to join Celtic about a week before that final match when he scored against them.

    When the window opened, he signed a contract and was registered - 16th May to be exact.

    So, while a player and club can desire a move, they can not sign for another club til the window opens unless its a PCA and that wont apply to Doig.
    Not how I remember it.

    Window opens on June 1st for example.

    I could well be wrong but I thought he signed a few weeks before the Celtic game.

  17. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brown had handed in and retracted a transfer request - it was known he was leaving, and there was clearly horse trading between Hibs / Celtic / Rangers and Browns agent.

    IIRC he finally agreed to join Celtic about a week before that final match when he scored against them.

    When the window opened, he signed a contract and was registered - 16th May to be exact.

    So, while a player and club can desire a move, they can not sign for another club til the window opens unless its a PCA and that wont apply to Doig.
    They definitely can. Jamie Murphy signed a permanent deal with Hibs 6 months ago, a year before his deal ended. That's a pre arranged transfer.

    Transfer window is completely made up. Hibs could sell Doig tomorrow. He would just join Leicester when the window opened.

  18. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Serious question, does anyone still buy this rag?

    Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
    Was offered one for free in WH Smith in Aberdeen train station years ago. Told the young man behind the counter I wouldn't wipe my arse with it. Poor guy looked really shocked. 🤪

  19. #78
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Needlessly harsh statement. There are going to be a lot of clubs desperate to sell this summer, and if we got Alan Campbell, Lawrence Shankland and Stephen O'Donnell for the sale of one player for example then that would strengthen us in three areas for losing a player in a position we're already well covered in.

    Selling players doesn't show a lack of ambition if it's reinvested very well.
    Reinvesting is fine, reinvesting very well has a huge proviso attached to it. We've been here before and seen that reinvestment either didn't happen or didn't work. Anyway, I doubt very much whether the sale of Doig at the fee mentioned would cover transfer fees/ wages for the three you mention and we would still need a left back.

    I'll stick with what we have and see if we can develop a decent young talent into a much bigger asset, whilst the club as a whole takes advantage of having a good manager and strong squad of players. Selling at the first sniff of cash wouldn't exactly be sending out the right message for me.

  20. #79
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They definitely can. Jamie Murphy signed a permanent deal with Hibs 6 months ago, a year before his deal ended. That's a pre arranged transfer.

    Transfer window is completely made up. Hibs could sell Doig tomorrow. He would just join Leicester when the window opened.
    Doig cant sign a contract with Leicester because the transfer window is closed and he isnt in the final few months of his contract.

    What are you suggesting, Leicester would just fire £1.5m to Hibs tomorrow when he (a) cant legally sign for them and (b) cant sign a PCA ??

    If your premise is true, why are we not hearing daily news updates about these transfers in the (very wealthy) EPL, and why is there such a flap about TDD twice a year if its all made up?

    Murphy signed for Hibs on a one season loan during the last summer window - with an obligation to transfer his registration permanently to Hibs for another year on the expiration of his Rangers deal at the end of this season.

    We can do this for as long as you want.

  21. #80
    Ginger goal machine nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cambridge
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,615
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doig cant sign a contract with Leicester because the transfer window is closed and he isnt in the final few months of his contract.

    What are you suggesting, Leicester would just fire £1.5m to Hibs tomorrow when he (a) cant legally sign for them and (b) cant sign a PCA ??

    If your premise is true, why are we not hearing daily news updates about these transfers in the (very wealthy) EPL, and why is there such a flap about TDD twice a year if its all made up?

    Murphy signed for Hibs on a one season loan during the last summer window - with an obligation to transfer his registration permanently to Hibs for another year on the expiration of his Rangers deal at the end of this season.

    We can do this for as long as you want.
    I don't think you're right. There is nothing stopping the clubs agreeing a fee outside the transfer window, and (with the selling club's permission) nothing stopping the player/their agent agreeing terms and signing a contract (presumably dated to start in the future). The thing that cannot happen outside the window is transfer of registration.

    Pre-contract is a special case where the caveat about having the permission of the player's current club before talking to them no longer applies. But the situation regarding registration is no different.
    Logan, McGregor, Hanlon (Gunnarsson 83), Fontaine (Henderson 70), Gray, Fyvie, McGeouch, McGinn, Stevenson, Stokes, Cummings (Keatings 65)

  22. #81
    Do people think recruitment teams are just twiddling their thumbs when the window is shut?

    There could easily be truth to this story. Loads of clubs would want to sign Doig.

  23. #82
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in the town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    10,685
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not how I remember it.

    Window opens on June 1st for example.

    I could well be wrong but I thought he signed a few weeks before the Celtic game.
    My memory was the smart money was on him going to Rangers. I remember Rangers supporters singing his name as they thought he was one of their own.

    Shortly after he signed for Celtic.

    May have got that totally wrong though.
    Last edited by PatHead; 07-04-2021 at 01:38 PM.

  24. #83
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    12,857
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reinvesting is fine, reinvesting very well has a huge proviso attached to it. We've been here before and seen that reinvestment either didn't happen or didn't work. Anyway, I doubt very much whether the sale of Doig at the fee mentioned would cover transfer fees/ wages for the three you mention and we would still need a left back.

    I'll stick with what we have and see if we can develop a decent young talent into a much bigger asset, whilst the club as a whole takes advantage of having a good manager and strong squad of players. Selling at the first sniff of cash wouldn't exactly be sending out the right message for me.
    I disagree that our last batch of proper reinvesting didn't work - it just ended up being a bit delayed in when it worked.

    Just now Aberdeen have a stadium that either needs a lot of work or a new stadium altogether, Hearts are £20m into a new stand and markedly inferior training facilities. We have HTC, we have the new East Stand. The problems came from not investing enough in the team - Petrie looked after every penny to the detriment of the first team in the end. When we won the Scottish cup, Lennon blew a lot of it on absolute dross like Big Dave, Slivka and the like.

    With no immediate infrastructure work, a reasonable recent record in scouting and excellent training facilities, we're miles ahead in what we can do with player sales compared to our rivals, even with us all feeling the effects of the pandemic.

    Player sales can be a good thing - as long as you have enough depth in that position (and with Stevenson and Mackie we do), and the scouting of new talent to bring in with that money is good (and we've really been the best we have been in years at that just now).

    Not desperate to see Doig go, but would also be excited to see where we could propel ourselves with a couple of million in our pockets.

    I think it's because we've not seen enough reinvestment in the first team in recent years that we've


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  25. #84
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    61
    Posts
    10,218
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My memory was the smart money was on him going to Rangers. I remember Rangers supporters singing his name as they thought he was one of their own.

    Shortly after he signed for Celtic.

    May have got that totally wrong though.
    No you have that right, I can remember Rangers fans singing about signing him.

    I for one thought he was going to Ibrox after hearing the stories that he was from a village in Fife that was a Rangers stronghold.

  26. #85
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My memory was the smart money was on him going to Rangers. I remember Rangers supporters singing his name as they thought he was one of their own.

    Shortly after he signed for Celtic.

    May have got that totally wrong though.
    No, you are 100% right.

    His agent was - as has been mentioned above - playing both sides behind the scenes and it emerged just before the end of the season that he had decided to move to Celtic - which was a major surprise.

    For Hibs it was irrelevant, we had a specific fee decided (and had clearly told the agent) and as long as it was met we were not fussed who paid it.

  27. #86
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, you are 100% right.

    His agent was - as has been mentioned above - playing both sides behind the scenes and it emerged just before the end of the season that he had decided to move to Celtic - which was a major surprise.

    For Hibs it was irrelevant, we had a specific fee decided (and had clearly told the agent) and as long as it was met we were not fussed who paid it.
    How much will Josh and Porto be worth if we get 3rd spit and/or win the cup. Play 8-10 games in Europe by Xmas ? I think unless the offer is nearer 2.5mill , Ron might well take the chance on keeping them all for another season. Why wouldnít Josh, Porto, Nisbet , Irvine and Boyle not want to stay for a European adventure. Gets them all a very high profile

  28. #87
    @hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Southside
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much will Josh and Porto be worth if we get 3rd spit and/or win the cup. Play 8-10 games in Europe by Xmas ? I think unless the offer is nearer 2.5mill , Ron might well take the chance on keeping them all for another season. Why wouldnít Josh, Porto, Nisbet , Irvine and Boyle not want to stay for a European adventure. Gets them all a very high profile

    tbh I hadnt really thought of the Euro angle - but if we get third and either win the cup or its one of the two clubs above us - we are in European football til Christmas, which - as you say - gives us such a lot more exposure.

  29. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doig cant sign a contract with Leicester because the transfer window is closed and he isnt in the final few months of his contract.

    What are you suggesting, Leicester would just fire £1.5m to Hibs tomorrow when he (a) cant legally sign for them and (b) cant sign a PCA ??

    If your premise is true, why are we not hearing daily news updates about these transfers in the (very wealthy) EPL, and why is there such a flap about TDD twice a year if its all made up?

    Murphy signed for Hibs on a one season loan during the last summer window - with an obligation to transfer his registration permanently to Hibs for another year on the expiration of his Rangers deal at the end of this season.

    We can do this for as long as you want.
    Youíre not right here.

    Latest example being Dayot Upemecano signing for Bayern. Heíll join them in the summer but the fee and the players deal are all agreed already.

    The Scott Brown scenario was exactly the same.

  30. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doig cant sign a contract with Leicester because the transfer window is closed and he isnt in the final few months of his contract.

    What are you suggesting, Leicester would just fire £1.5m to Hibs tomorrow when he (a) cant legally sign for them and (b) cant sign a PCA ??

    If your premise is true, why are we not hearing daily news updates about these transfers in the (very wealthy) EPL, and why is there such a flap about TDD twice a year if its all made up?

    Murphy signed for Hibs on a one season loan during the last summer window - with an obligation to transfer his registration permanently to Hibs for another year on the expiration of his Rangers deal at the end of this season.

    We can do this for as long as you want.
    So what is stopping Leicester from agreeing a deal to transfer Doig registration to them on July first?

    You are dead wrong but you can keep arguing. A recent example is Erling haaland was announced by dortmund at the end of December 2019 and joined on January 3rd when the window opened in Germany. Happens all the time. Players are announced regularly outside of transfer windows. Mario Gotzw is another famous example. Announced before Bayern played Dortmund in the CL final.

    It is all made up because that is the open time you can register new players. You can sign them in advance whenever you want. You literally do here constant transfer rumours.

  31. #90
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree that our last batch of proper reinvesting didn't work - it just ended up being a bit delayed in when it worked.

    Just now Aberdeen have a stadium that either needs a lot of work or a new stadium altogether, Hearts are £20m into a new stand and markedly inferior training facilities. We have HTC, we have the new East Stand. The problems came from not investing enough in the team - Petrie looked after every penny to the detriment of the first team in the end. When we won the Scottish cup, Lennon blew a lot of it on absolute dross like Big Dave, Slivka and the like.

    With no immediate infrastructure work, a reasonable recent record in scouting and excellent training facilities, we're miles ahead in what we can do with player sales compared to our rivals, even with us all feeling the effects of the pandemic.

    Player sales can be a good thing - as long as you have enough depth in that position (and with Stevenson and Mackie we do), and the scouting of new talent to bring in with that money is good (and we've really been the best we have been in years at that just now).

    Not desperate to see Doig go, but would also be excited to see where we could propel ourselves with a couple of million in our pockets.

    I think it's because we've not seen enough reinvestment in the first team in recent years that we've

    I'm excited to see where this current team can go. I'm struggling to think of a time in my 50 years of going to matches whereby Hibs have sold good players and replaced them adequately.

    I also disagree your point about left back. With Mackie, injuries aside (but bearing them in mind), he's not done anything like enough to suggest he is going to fill the left back spot. Lewis isn't going to take the team forward at this stage in his career.

    If we were offered a significantly higher sum than the one quoted, then I would take it. The amount mentioned isn't going to transform Hibs. Better off keeping our assets, showing the fans and the manager we mean to build something more enduring, using the talent we have to win a trophy. That's how Hibs will get more money out of me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)