hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you have a sell on agreed that sorts that out
    Not really. We could negotioate a bigger one and a higher future fee.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Or he might break his leg in August and never kick a ball again but we’ve got the cash.

We’re about to start talking about futures and options here. I’m away to watch Bloomberg for a bit.
    This isn't the 50s anymore, though, the odds of a player breaking a leg and never playing against are very slim. 99% come back fit and strong.

The best option by miles is for Hibs to use him and sell at his highest point of value.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    There was some chat on the radio about Hibs doing a deal whereby they sell Doig but loan him back for next season to allow him to keep developing with game time.

They weren’t linking him to any club specifically, just saying it’s the type of deal that could suit all parties.

I’d be happy with that if RG felt we were getting a fair price.
    I think that is a great model to follow for young players making a big jump to a club where they clearly will initially struggle to challenge for a starting place. Player continues to develop and gets a lot more game time than they would initially at their new club as well as probably getting experience playing European football. New club gets much more certainty around the player's continued development than they would putting him out on loan elsewhere because they know already that he's a regular starter with us and how he fits in with our manager's plans/team set up. We get the benefit of having the player for another year and them developing more will increase their value and thereby the sell-on amount.

Okay there's an argument for keeping him longer and getting more money down the line but it's about getting the right balance of when to let them go, so based on it being the right time for them to go, I think it would be good to have 1 or 2 players on this model on an ongoing basis. You don't want to have too many because you don't want to block the next ones coming through. If we can get a deal for Doig like this then it'll make us a very attractive place for other youngsters to come. Arguably a better and faster route to success than in the Celtic and Rangers youth set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That doesn't suit all parties. If he goes for x price now, then improves exponentially next season with us on loan and we could've got much more.
    "If" being the operative word. If he has a bad season next season and his form declines exponentially he might not get a move at all.

I'm not saying you're wrong but it is about getting balance right of when is the right time to sell and when is the right time to keep hold of a player. There are ifs, buts and maybes with every transaction. Some we'll get right and some we won't.
    Last edited by 007; 10-04-2021 at 10:59 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I wonder if Scholsey on loan at Stenny has a chance next season at Hibs, if Doig was to move on
    Very much in the Lewis Stevenson mould, both in physique and playing style

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    It's fantasy stuff really. Realistically if a club like Leicester were to sign him they'll loan him out to a decent championship team I'd imagine. They'll rate that level of football far higher and it'll be easier for their coaches/loan manager to keep an eye on his development.
    No guarantee he'd play every week at a decent championship team, would most likely be on the bench most weeks which wouldn't be great for his development

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Not really. We could negotioate a bigger one and a higher future fee.

This isn't the 50s anymore, though, the odds of a player breaking a leg and never playing against are very slim. 99% come back fit and strong.

The best option by miles is for Hibs to use him and sell at his highest point of value.
    Hard one for the club to call without being able to look backwards.

Maybe it’s now as he has so long on his contract?

Maybe it’s in a few years time when he’s established himself in the Scotland squad and has played in Europe a dozen times? But now he’s in the last year of his contract, so how much effect does that have?

As RG said, it’s a tricky balancing act. We don’t want to hamper his progress but we also want to stay competitive and get a good deal.

So maybe a sale and loan back is a compromise the club would consider or even encourage?

I wouldn’t just dismiss it as rubbish anyways.

The SJM transfer to Villa has raised our profile imho and how we developed a young player! Others will see this and will be constantly monitoring us. The 2 young lads in the development squad moving south having not kicked a ball speaks volumes too.

You may also find that teams are also willing to do business with us when we are looking at their players!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I wonder if Scholsey on loan at Stenny has a chance next season at Hibs, if Doig was to move on
    Any idea how he's been doing Billy?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    Any idea how he's been doing Billy?
    He was out injured for a bit, but scored and was man of the match this week
    He was deemed one our best prospects a year or two ago, but the lack of football for these players hasn’t helped. He’s still only 19, so got time on his side
    Be interesting to see where he plays his football next season

https://twitter.com/stenhousemuirfc/...932646405?s=21

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    "If" being the operative word. If he has a bad season next season and his form declines exponentially he might not get a move at all.
    I wouldn’t be disappointed if Doig stayed at Hibs.

First Team Breakthrough
    I'd hope Hibs would try their utmost to hang onto the lad for at least another season..and don't sell to the Old Firm please!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    I'd hope Hibs would try their utmost to hang onto the lad for at least another season..and don't sell to the Old Firm please!!
    Or as part of a deal for Griffiths ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Or as part of a deal for Griffiths ?
    Highly likely Griffiths will be a free agent soon so the only deal needing done will be with Griffiths himself.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Already a write off for some then.

I don't rate him as highly as some so if we can get a good price, sell him.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Needlessly harsh statement. There are going to be a lot of clubs desperate to sell this summer, and if we got Alan Campbell, Lawrence Shankland and Stephen O'Donnell for the sale of one player for example then that would strengthen us in three areas for losing a player in a position we're already well covered in.

Selling players doesn't show a lack of ambition if it's reinvested very well.
    Very true, and obviously that could apply if Nisbet was to leave, it doesn't apply exclusively to Doig.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I've rated him from the start. I argued the benefit of giving him game time when others wanted Stevenson back in the team. I'm not surprised there is interest in him from much bigger clubs. I think there is some value in getting more games at hibs - especially at European level if we can make it. He'll learn more and we'll be selling a player more ready for the challenge.

He will move for a good price and I hope he goes on to have a great career.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Just heard Gerrard signing Doigs praises after the game. He thought Doig against Patterson was a great battle and both could go to the very top.

I see Tierney has been ruled out for the rest of the season, I wonder if Doig could squeeze into the Scotland squad?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    There’s always one 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Just heard Gerrard signing Doigs praises after the game. He thought Doig against Patterson was a great battle and both could go to the very top.

I see Tierney has been ruled out for the rest of the season, I wonder if Doig could squeeze into the Scotland squad?
    Nowhere near. Even if Tierney missed out through injury, Robertson and Taylor would be first choices and they might take Hickey seeing as he can play left or right back (so I’m told).

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Nowhere near. Even if Tierney missed out through injury, Robertson and Taylor would be first choices and they might take Hickey seeing as he can play left or right back (so I’m told).
    Does Taylor get his game for Celtic? I thought he’d lost his place to the Uruguayan guy they got from Milan.

I agree it’s unlikely he’ll get in, I just wonder if there’s an outside chance if there’s many more injuries or if he wants to bring some young players for their experience like we’ve done in the past.

Fwiw I think he’ll have jumped ahead of Hickey in the queue now.

Does Taylor get his game for Celtic? I thought he’d lost his place to the Uruguayan guy they got from Milan.

I agree it’s unlikely he’ll get in, I just wonder if there’s an outside chance if there’s many more injuries or if he wants to bring some young players for their experience like we’ve done in the past.

Would be surprised if Steve Clarke was to include players just to get them experience when he's now got just 2 friendlies before the Euros. Would guess he'll be focusing onto nailing down his squad for the Euros.

He’s not been playing, but still got into the last squad. He’d be in long before Doig. I’d imagine it would be fairly close between Doig and Hickey, and neither would be likely to go, but Hickey would have the benefit of being able to play both sides, a must in most tournament squads.

@hibs.net private member
    Another decent performance from Doig today. He struggles to do a full 90 mins for me and his positioning is still a bit suspect but both of those issues are improving week on week and it won't be long before he is a very good player at this level. he is a mile away from a Scotland call up and might have to move more centrally given the two who are ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Another decent performance from Doig today. He struggles to do a full 90 mins for me and his positioning is still a bit suspect but both of those issues are improving week on week and it won't be long before he is a very good player at this level. he is a mile away from a Scotland call up and might have to move more centrally given the two who are ahead of him.
    Maybe short term, but Tierney really needs to sort his injuries out, and Robertson is 27 and will be heading out the picture when Doig is 22/23. Doig also has the athleticism and attributes to progress and be as good as them.

@hibs.net private member
    Maybe short term, but Tierney really needs to sort his injuries out, and Robertson is 27 and will be heading out the picture when Doig is 22/23. Doig also has the athleticism and attributes to progress and be as good as them.
    I am forgetting just how young he is. He definitely has all the attributes needed and also a little bit of gallousness too.

Coaching Staff
    He’s not been playing, but still got into the last squad. He’d be in long before Doig. I’d imagine it would be fairly close between Doig and Hickey, and neither would be likely to go, but Hickey would have the benefit of being able to play both sides, a must in most tournament squads.
    Taylor is back in the Celtic team currently.

I wouldnt rush Doig into the national squad yet. A year with the u21s will be great for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I wouldnt rush Doig into the national squad yet. A year with the u21s will be great for him.
    I don’t disagree with you but other nations seem to transition young players from the young age groups to the senior squad much better than we do.

We seem to have decent young players who do alright uo tk under 21 level, they then disappear for a while and start getting called again at 26/27 years old.

There’s obviously exceptions to that but we rarely seem to have a really exciting youngster breaking through into the first team from a very young age.

I don’t disagree with you but other nations seem to transition young players from the young age groups to the senior squad much better than we do.

We seem to have decent young players who do alright uo tk under 21 level, they then disappear for a while and start getting called again at 26/27 years old.

There’s obviously exceptions to that but we rarely seem to have a really exciting youngster breaking through into the first team from a very young age.
    You look at Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden both in the England squad at 20. Jude Bellingham is getting there at 17.