hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    BBC sportsound

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I hate just because it's Hibs the price is set by the media plebs at £1.5m....yet if he were wearing blue or Hoops it'd be way, way more than that.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate just because it's Hibs the price is set by the media plebs at £1.5m....yet if he were wearing blue or Hoops it'd be way, way more than that.

That’s just the nature of the food chain though.

If he was playing for Hamilton his value would be a lot less than it is with us.

Watching the AGM today, I doubt there will be too many pulling a fast one on the board.

@hibs.net private member
    Selling players to the English Premiership for good fees and making sure there are healthy sell on benefits could be the best and quickest way to grow. Porteous, Nisbet and Doig are all very marketable and could all create large sell ons if they develop. I think they should all stay another year but if money is reinvested and done with a view to buy the best young players we can to develop then that is a very workable model. SJM being sold may give us enough cash to replace anyone that leaves and pick up a few gems for the future too.

I think that was what LD wanted to build and it was looking possible under Stubbs but imploded a bit with Lennon. Jack Ross seems to be in a similar vein as Stubbs bringing in young players who are ambitious and ready to make the next step. Giving them lots of game time but also protecting them when needed.

The succession planning needs to be good and recruitment has to be accurate but I think if done correctly it could make us thrive and be the third force which is what RG is wanting. I think we could get a name as a stepping stone club which could also mean players want to come to us and we could get some good loans too.

Selling young players, if done correctly, can be a very progressive move for all concerned.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Selling players to the English Premiership for good fees and making sure there are healthy sell on benefits could be the best and quickest way to grow. Porteous, Nisbet and Doig are all very marketable and could all create large sell ons if they develop. I think they should all stay another year but if money is reinvested and done with a view to buy the best young players we can to develop then that is a very workable model. SJM being sold may give us enough cash to replace anyone that leaves and pick up a few gems for the future too.

I think that was what LD wanted to build and it was looking possible under Stubbs but imploded a bit with Lennon. Jack Ross seems to be in a similar vein as Stubbs bringing in young players who are ambitious and ready to make the next step. Giving them lots of game time but also protecting them when needed.

The succession planning needs to be good and recruitment has to be accurate but I think if done correctly it could make us thrive and be the third force which is what RG is wanting. I think we could get a name as a stepping stone club which could also mean players want to come to us and we could get some good loans too.

Selling young players, if done correctly, can be a very progressive move for all concerned.
    I think this sounds fine in theory but not sure it works in practice. I'm pretty sure this is what Rod Petrie tried to achieve when the golden generation came through. Talent is really unpredictable though and changing swathes of players on a regular basis is not a good idea. There's always a huge element of risk.

By setting yourself up as a "stepping stone" you're also not getting the players to invest themselves in the club.The buy low sell high model also views players as commodities which again isn't conducive to building a great team or team spirit. With the Stubbs and Lennon years you got the impression that the core of the squad loved being at the club and were in things for the long haul. I am pretty sure that until his last year John McGinn wasn't eyeing a move and was very happy at Hibs.

We're clearly on a good financial footing despite the difficulties of the last two seasons so we don't need large transfer fees. Let's concentrate on building a club where players want to be and would be very reluctant to leave no matter what the offer.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibsforeurope View Post
    Rodgers must only think £1.5m is what all our players are worth. you'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson missing out on SJM!
    After John went to Villa there was talk that Rodgers was furious Celtic had messed about and allowed another club to entice him away

First Team Breakthrough
    Josh won’t be moving in the next transfer window, he is happy at the club and wants to play as much football as possible. Signed the new contract offered, has his head screwed on, will move in a year or 2. If anyone leaves it will probably be Nisbet, at 24 he’s at a good age to make the move and already had his head turned.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Josh won’t be moving in the next transfer window, he is happy at the club and wants to play as much football as possible. Signed the new contract offered, has his head screwed on, will move in a year or 2. If anyone leaves it will probably be Nisbet, at 24 he’s at a good age to make the move and already had his head turned.
    Spot on, last thing Josh needs is warming the bench at a club, or playing reserve/under 21 football somewhere. He’s still growing/learning the game, best place for that is Hibs for at least another season, if not 2, he’ll get his move eventually and he’ll be better prepared for it then.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Why do our players always seem to have a value of around £1-£1.5m, according to red top journalists?

Doig is not worth that. He is worth a lot more. Find some of their valuation "theories" staggering at times.

It's pathetic. Down south transfer values have gone up tenfold the last decade, but in Scotland it's been £1.5m for about fifteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    I think this sounds fine in theory but not sure it works in practice. I'm pretty sure this is what Rod Petrie tried to achieve when the golden generation came through. Talent is really unpredictable though and changing swathes of players on a regular basis is not a good idea. There's always a huge element of risk.

By setting yourself up as a "stepping stone" you're also not getting the players to invest themselves in the club.The buy low sell high model also views players as commodities which again isn't conducive to building a great team or team spirit. With the Stubbs and Lennon years you got the impression that the core of the squad loved being at the club and were in things for the long haul. I am pretty sure that until his last year John McGinn wasn't eyeing a move and was very happy at Hibs.

We're clearly on a good financial footing despite the difficulties of the last two seasons so we don't need large transfer fees. Let's concentrate on building a club where players want to be and would be very reluctant to leave no matter what the offer.

Spot on in my opinion. The idea of being a revolving door is not one that is going to attract season ticket holders. We’ve suffered enough with good players leaving never mind doing it when it’s not necessary.Where is this never ending stream of young Scottish football talent coming from.I don’t see much proof of it.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

Agree with of this.

Build a club that fosters team spirit, provides a platform for the ambitious and also satisfies the fans.

Hibs have shown they mean business already, resisting the offers for players in January, with an eye on the bigger prize. It may well be that we see a departure or two in the summer, but I’m sure we will have used the time to identify suitable targets.

@hibs.net private member

What I am talking about is strategic. You would sell on players but have others identified too. It isn't about selling a player the second a decent offer comes in and I am advocating that Hibs would retain an interest in the player via a percentage of future transfers. Take SJM for example. If we get 5 Million when he is sold on that is roughly equivalent of a full years worth of ST income. There won't be many SJMs but there is a margin for error because of the money involved down south.

I totally agree about the vibe the club and squad had under Stubbs and for a chunk of Lennon's tenure. You can get that type of vibe when players can see themselves developing and a brighter future. Again I am not saying sell every decent player I am saying have a policy of buying quality young players and a plan to develop them. Supplement that with some experience and you have a chance of success on the park and the opportunity to build on that when the gems move on. They will move on regardless so I am saying have a plan for that and a model which means we maximise the chances of more SJM types.

I do agree though that it isn't easy and can be risky and I don't want us to be seen as a club who treats players as money makers. I want to see us as a club where players can enjoy the present but work towards the future. I don't want to see many journeyman type players, I want hungry young players on there way up.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    What I am talking about is strategic. You would sell on players but have others identified too. It isn't about selling a player the second a decent offer comes in and I am advocating that Hibs would retain an interest in the player via a percentage of future transfers. Take SJM for example. If we get 5 Million when he is sold on that is roughly equivalent of a full years worth of ST income. There won't be many SJMs but there is a margin for error because of the money involved down south.

I totally agree about the vibe the club and squad had under Stubbs and for a chunk of Lennon's tenure. You can get that type of vibe when players can see themselves developing and a brighter future. Again I am not saying sell every decent player I am saying have a policy of buying quality young players and a plan to develop them. Supplement that with some experience and you have a chance of success on the park and the opportunity to build on that when the gems move on. They will move on regardless so I am saying have a plan for that and a model which means we maximise the chances of more SJM types.

I do agree though that it isn't easy and can be risky and I don't want us to be seen as a club who treats players as money makers. I want to see us as a club where players can enjoy the present but work towards the future. I don't want to see many journeyman type players, I want hungry young players on there way up.
    You’re 100% correct. Our policy of buying hungry young players is the best chance at achieving success for a club of our size and it’s pretty much the only way we will be able to move on to the next level. It’s not a revolving door as we’ll get 2 or 3 years out of these players before they move on. Any player we sign that does well will move on in that time frame no matter what our policy is as we can’t pay the wages that these players demand. The only way for us to pay more wages is to generate more money through selling. The more money we bring in, the more money we can pay for better players, the more we can pay players, meaning it takes bigger offers from better clubs to sign our players and the whole cycle begins again with us moving up the price and quality range.

United we stand here....

I am more hopeful off Hibs making more than a couple of million from Doig/Nisbet, now that teams like Birningham,Leeds and Leicester are noted to be interested, just the fact leicesteer are interested should push up the asking price, when SJM went to Villa, the reason we sold him for so little was the fact nobody else was interested, now we have a few clubs interested in our players, which is only a good thing.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    I am more hopeful off Hibs making more than a couple of million from Doig/Nisbet, now that teams like Birningham,Leeds and Leicester are noted to be interested, just the fact leicesteer are interested should push up the asking price, when SJM went to Villa, the reason we sold him for so little was the fact nobody else was interested, now we have a few clubs interested in our players, which is only a good thing.
    And the length of SJM’s contract left with us resulted in the relatively small transfer fee received

Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    And the length of SJM’s contract left with us resulted in the relatively small transfer fee received
    Did we not get 2.8 million for SJM plus a decent sell on fee and add ons? I think that's pretty decent considering he only had a year left on his deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Did we not get 2.8 million for SJM plus a decent sell on fee and add ons? I think that's pretty decent considering he only had a year left on his deal.
    2.8 in total, the initial was nearer 1.5 with add ons for promotion etc.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    2.8 in total, the initial was nearer 1.5 with add ons for promotion etc.
    Ah ok thought it was 2.8 initially.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Ah ok thought it was 2.8 initially.
    It was. JC is incorrect.

Its nearer 4 million now with a sell on % still in place.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    It was. JC is incorrect.

Its nearer 4 million now with a sell on % still in place.
    Yip was well over 2m when looking at the figures shown at the agm

There was some chat on the radio about Hibs doing a deal whereby they sell Doig but loan him back for next season to allow him to keep developing with game time.

They weren’t linking him to any club specifically, just saying it’s the type of deal that could suit all parties.

I’d be happy with that if RG felt we were getting a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    There was some chat on the radio about Hibs doing a deal whereby they sell Doig but loan him back for next season to allow him to keep developing with game time.

They weren’t linking him to any club specifically, just saying it’s the type of deal that could suit all parties.

This kind of deal is always mentioned with young players but I'm struggling to remember a time I've actually seen it happen

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

It seems a sensible deal for the buying club. They get the player nice and early and therefore cheaper, they get to leave him to develop at a club he’s settled at and then they get to review the situation again in a years time.

For us, I’m not sure it’s a great deal unless we’re strapped for cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This kind of deal is always mentioned with young players but I'm struggling to remember a time I've actually seen it happen
    It's fantasy stuff really. Realistically if a club like Leicester were to sign him they'll loan him out to a decent championship team I'd imagine. They'll rate that level of football far higher and it'll be easier for their coaches/loan manager to keep an eye on his development.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    It seems a sensible deal for the buying club. They get the player nice and early and therefore cheaper, they get to leave him to develop at a club he’s settled at and then they get to review the situation again in a years time.

For us it would be an unbelievable deal. Say we get 2m for a youngster still making his way in the game and on top of that we get to keep him for another year? Can't see it happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

Money in the bank and we get to enjoy him for another year. Sounds good to me.

That doesn't suit all parties. If he goes for x price now, then improves exponentially next season with us on loan and we could've got much more.

@hibs.net private member
    That doesn't suit all parties. If he goes for x price now, then improves exponentially next season with us on loan and we could've got much more.
    If you have a sell on agreed that sorts that out

Or he might break his leg in August and never kick a ball again but we’ve got the cash.

We’re about to start talking about futures and options here. I’m away to watch Bloomberg for a bit.