hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think we missed a huge opportunity to get £3m for Nisbet.
    If we or the old firm win the cup, his goals will have earned us that anyway.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have the upmost trust and confidence in the club. If the deal isn't worth it to Hibs, Hibs wont sell. They have proved that time and again. More relaxed about outgoing transfers than I've ever been. We're in good hands. Doesn't matter what any media source says.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    John and I were talking about this (not the bid specifically. but Doig and others moving on) and this kind of move is exactly what Hibs' model is at the moment. Whether £1.5m is the point we'd want to sell is another story, but as Bingo said £1.5m with good add-ons is likely to be a very lucrative sale for us long term, given Doig's age.

The benefit of selling McGinn and him doing so well at Villa is that it gives us and Scottish football some credibility (see also Tierney, Robertson and Van Dijk etc) so English clubs with all their money can have some confidence in spending it with us.

For Hibs, we have seen that we are prepared to spend on sellable talent - Nisbet and Magennis being two recent examples, so when they move on (along with Porteous and Doig) we start the process again, but from a better starting point (i.e. instead of finding a £250k striker and selling for £3m, we can spend £500k on a striker and sell for £5m (for example)).

This improves the standard of our squad, gives us more chance of tangible success (cup runs, league placings and European football) and if you get that process right over a number of seasons you're soon in a position where we are breaking our own highest transfer records both for spend and receipt.

I have said this before, and it's why I am so keen for HSL to really ignite, but we have moved from a board who were cautiously ambitious and were happy to spend a pound less than we earned as a sustainable model, to an owner who is a little more aggressively ambitious and who will (again within controlled budgets) speculate on players knowing that there's a re-sale market there. That along with Gordon's plans to drive income into the club from other avenues, means that if we get it right, then we are staring into some spectacularly good years as Hibs fans.

The opportunity is right in front of us just now, if we secure third and things go our way with the cup (with either us or Rangers or Celtic winning it) then we go into next season with guaranteed European money, potential sale income in the multi-millions, and significant prize money for our league placing. We'll have the opportunity then to get better sponsorship deals etc and so we are uniquely placed (amongst the non-Glasgow sides) to emerge from COVID in really good financial health.

The competitive advantage that could give us for years to come cannot be understated - we go into a position where we should be favourites for third place and more Euro income next season, again this widens the gap financially on the teams around us, and could (with a kind wind) really cement us as the third biggest/most successful side in Scotland for a generation to come.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Was Hickey not in the final year of his contract?

Doug has much longer left and we should be holding out for much more. British players will demand a premium now with work permits required following Brexit. A lot of these clubs are signing potential rather than the finished article. Physically he fits the bill as well.

I think we should hold out for a lot more with add ons.
    Nail on the head.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 07-04-2021 at 09:10 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Media linking are players because we're playing Rangers or Celtic is one of these myths that has grown over the years. If nothing else, it would serve no purpose, as there's no way a player is so weak that he'd let being linked in a newspaper to Leicester affect his performance in a Hibs v Rangers game.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    John and I were talking about this (not the bid specifically. but Doig and others moving on) and this kind of move is exactly what Hibs' model is at the moment. Whether £1.5m is the point we'd want to sell is another story, but as Bingo said £1.5m with good add-ons is likely to be a very lucrative sale for us long term, given Doig's age.

The benefit of selling McGinn and him doing so well at Villa is that it gives us and Scottish football some credibility (see also Tierney, Robertson and Van Dijk etc) so English clubs with all their money can have some confidence in spending it with us.

For Hibs, we have seen that we are prepared to spend on sellable talent - Nisbet and Magennis being two recent examples, so when they move on (along with Porteous and Doig) we start the process again, but from a better starting point (i.e. instead of finding a £250k striker and selling for £3m, we can spend £500k on a striker and sell for £5m (for example)).

This improves the standard of our squad, gives us more chance of tangible success (cup runs, league placings and European football) and if you get that process right over a number of seasons you're soon in a position where we are breaking our own highest transfer records both for spend and receipt.

I have said this before, and it's why I am so keen for HSL to really ignite, but we have moved from a board who were cautiously ambitious and were happy to spend a pound less than we earned as a sustainable model, to an owner who is a little more aggressively ambitious and who will (again within controlled budgets) speculate on players knowing that there's a re-sale market there. That along with Gordon's plans to drive income into the club from other avenues, means that if we get it right, then we are staring into some spectacularly good years as Hibs fans.

The opportunity is right in front of us just now, if we secure third and things go our way with the cup (with either us or Rangers or Celtic winning it) then we go into next season with guaranteed European money, potential sale income in the multi-millions, and significant prize money for our league placing. We'll have the opportunity then to get better sponsorship deals etc and so we are uniquely placed (amongst the non-Glasgow sides) to emerge from COVID in really good financial health.

The competitive advantage that could give us for years to come cannot be understated - we go into a position where we should be favourites for third place and more Euro income next season, again this widens the gap financially on the teams around us, and could (with a kind wind) really cement us as the third biggest/most successful side in Scotland for a generation to come.
    Very accurate analysis of where we are and emphasises the opportunity we now have to finish the season strongly.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I still think we missed a huge opportunity to get £3m for Nisbet.
    It wasn't anywhere near £3million.

Much less with add-ons like Birmingham winning the Premier League and Champions League.

@hibs.net private member hibsforeurope's Avatar
    Rodgers must only think £1.5m is what all our players are worth. you'd have thought he'd learnt his lesson missing out on SJM!

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

I don't think it just breeds confidence in clubs looking to purchase players from us but also confidence in young talents who want to make sure that they're taking the right step in their career.

Just now if you had Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs in for you, there's a clear choice as to who you're most likely to progress your career with. I wonder if the lad McRorie is regretting picking Aberdeen now they look like a terrible team.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The more teams interested the better. Arsenal, Man City also rumoured to be watching him. Good end to the season and scoring the winner and MOTM performance in the cup final should see a bidding war!! Alternatively he stays for another couple of seasons and we keep a very good player

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

SJM leaving left a massive SJM-shaped hole in our midfield, and arguably it’s taken us until this season to get the balance right again.

I am not saying we shouldn’t have done the deal - it was obviously right at the time - but he had been here for 3 seasons at that point.

Nisbet, Magennis and Doig are in their first season. Why the rush to sell?

The most important part of the equation is putting a good Hibs team on the park - that requires consistency and players who are committed to us.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    He's just signed a contract keeping him here until 2025.

Are we desperate for £1.5m? Is Foig likely to be worth a lot less than that in a couple or 3 years?

I think the answer is no to both of those questions so if that's the case, there's absolutely no reason to sell him unless it was for a collosal sum with huge add one.

Someone above said that it was a myth that the papers ran these stories to unsettle players before games against Rantic. Myth or not, it is a remarkably regular coincidence.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Media linking are players because we're playing Rangers or Celtic is one of these myths that has grown over the years. If nothing else, it would serve no purpose, as there's no way a player is so weak that he'd let being linked in a newspaper to Leicester affect his performance in a Hibs v Rangers game.
    Spot on Steve, I can't actually believe that there's folk out there who truly believe that this story has just been released by the press for no other reason than to put one of our players off their game because we are playing one of the old firm. The Rangers have already won the league anyway it's really bizarre

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Doig is a young lad who had a good season in Div2 at Queens Park and has developed enough to be 1st pick for us and all by the age of 18, £1.5M with a good add on to a big club is exactly what will be expected and we'll probably take it, if this had been his 2nd season as our number 1 LB then we'd be looking at nearer £3m.

So many spelling mistakes and auto corrects, anyway as everyone is saying I don’t think we’ll be biting at £1.5m for Doig anytime soon.

Left by mutual consent!
    I don’t understand why people think Hibs players are worth more than any offer we would actually get. 1.5m is probably about right but I’m not sure we’d sell at the moment

£1.5m to £2.5m is about the range we'll get, depending on the add-ons. I have a feeling this will be the Hickey situation again this summer and he'll be away but not without a bit of a frenzy between about 4/5 big name clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Another culture is maybe stretching it a bit, no? 😀
    I can assure you that England is a very very different culture to Scotland!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Another culture is maybe stretching it a bit, no? 😀
    Have you ever been to Leicester😳?

Left by mutual consent!
    Why do our players always seem to have a value of around £1-£1.5m, according to red top journalists?

Doig is not worth that. He is worth a lot more. Find some of their valuation "theories" staggering at times.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    I don’t understand why people think Hibs players are worth more than any offer we would actually get. 1.5m is probably about right but I’m not sure we’d sell at the moment
    You are possibly right about current value but you would have to pay a lot more as the player has enormous potential.

A 30 year old you would sell at the going rate but not an 18 year old that has the ability to go far in the game.

I don't want to sell him for a while yet but if we had to sell right now I would be looking for double what is being quoted.

He has a good physique already and that will get better, he is ideally suited to succeed in the English game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    Eh, it’s The Sun?

The only surprising thing about it is that it’s not Rangers he’s linked with, given we play them this week.
    Serious question, does anyone still buy this rag?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    He may also get one opportunity at getting a move like this. You never know what’s round the corner.
    Yes if he got £10k a week for four years it would be life changing. But £2 million minus taxes to last till the end of out life when you are 22 if things do not work out is not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by EI255 View Post
    Serious question, does anyone still buy this rag?

I buy it on a Sunday if Hibs win.

Decent football section with good stats and David Provan's page has comic value.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    £80m transfer fee received for the donkey that is Harry Maguire. They can cough up an extra few million for Josh Doig for sure. £1.5m is laughable given he has been on fire, has all the attributes to be a top players and has four years left with us. Jog on Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    £1.5m to £2.5m is about the range we'll get, depending on the add-ons. I have a feeling this will be the Hickey situation again this summer and he'll be away but not without a bit of a frenzy between about 4/5 big name clubs.
    Was Hickey not approaching the end of his contract?

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There’s no way we should be selling Doig for that money. People may be correct that his value right now is £1.5m based on what he’s achieved so far, but that’s an extremely short sighted view. If he continues to progress at the rate he has been his value will be double that this time next year. He’s just signed a new contract and we’ve shown we value holding on to our players if our valuation isn’t met. If someone wants to make an offer we couldn’t refuse, then fair enough, but right now the value is in keeping him here and letting him develop. There’s risk involved for us, but it’s worth it imo.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    No chance he’s playing in the EPL next season.

I think he’ll be with us for at least next season and probably the one after.

We’re in no hurry to sell and there has been nothing to suggest that he wants anything other than to progress at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    He's under contract until 2025, we should just come out and put a £10 million price tag on him and say he's going nowhere unless that valuation is met in an upfront payment. I'm sure the interest will disappear once those English clubs realise they are not getting him on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Was Hickey not approaching the end of his contract?
    I think his deal was up at the end of this season but due to his age I think Hearts were always going to get something for him regardless of that.