hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 166 of 166
  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you have a sell on agreed that sorts that out
    Not really. We could negotioate a bigger one and a higher future fee.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or he might break his leg in August and never kick a ball again but weíve got the cash.

    Weíre about to start talking about futures and options here. Iím away to watch Bloomberg for a bit.
    This isn't the 50s anymore, though, the odds of a player breaking a leg and never playing against are very slim. 99% come back fit and strong.

    The best option by miles is for Hibs to use him and sell at his highest point of value.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #152
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There was some chat on the radio about Hibs doing a deal whereby they sell Doig but loan him back for next season to allow him to keep developing with game time.

    They werenít linking him to any club specifically, just saying itís the type of deal that could suit all parties.

    Iíd be happy with that if RG felt we were getting a fair price.
    I think that is a great model to follow for young players making a big jump to a club where they clearly will initially struggle to challenge for a starting place. Player continues to develop and gets a lot more game time than they would initially at their new club as well as probably getting experience playing European football. New club gets much more certainty around the player's continued development than they would putting him out on loan elsewhere because they know already that he's a regular starter with us and how he fits in with our manager's plans/team set up. We get the benefit of having the player for another year and them developing more will increase their value and thereby the sell-on amount.

    Okay there's an argument for keeping him longer and getting more money down the line but it's about getting the right balance of when to let them go, so based on it being the right time for them to go, I think it would be good to have 1 or 2 players on this model on an ongoing basis. You don't want to have too many because you don't want to block the next ones coming through. If we can get a deal for Doig like this then it'll make us a very attractive place for other youngsters to come. Arguably a better and faster route to success than in the Celtic and Rangers youth set up.

  4. #153
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That doesn't suit all parties. If he goes for x price now, then improves exponentially next season with us on loan and we could've got much more.
    "If" being the operative word. If he has a bad season next season and his form declines exponentially he might not get a move at all.

    I'm not saying you're wrong but it is about getting balance right of when is the right time to sell and when is the right time to keep hold of a player. There are ifs, buts and maybes with every transaction. Some we'll get right and some we won't.
    Last edited by 007; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.

  5. #154
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    36,062
    I wonder if Scholsey on loan at Stenny has a chance next season at Hibs, if Doig was to move on
    Very much in the Lewis Stevenson mould, both in physique and playing style

  6. #155
    @hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Leith Links/Glasgow
    Posts
    1,969
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's fantasy stuff really. Realistically if a club like Leicester were to sign him they'll loan him out to a decent championship team I'd imagine. They'll rate that level of football far higher and it'll be easier for their coaches/loan manager to keep an eye on his development.
    No guarantee he'd play every week at a decent championship team, would most likely be on the bench most weeks which wouldn't be great for his development

  7. #156
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,636
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not really. We could negotioate a bigger one and a higher future fee.



    This isn't the 50s anymore, though, the odds of a player breaking a leg and never playing against are very slim. 99% come back fit and strong.

    The best option by miles is for Hibs to use him and sell at his highest point of value.
    Hard one for the club to call without being able to look backwards.

    Maybe itís now as he has so long on his contract?

    Maybe itís in a few years time when heís established himself in the Scotland squad and has played in Europe a dozen times? But now heís in the last year of his contract, so how much effect does that have?

    As RG said, itís a tricky balancing act. We donít want to hamper his progress but we also want to stay competitive and get a good deal.

    So maybe a sale and loan back is a compromise the club would consider or even encourage?

    I wouldnít just dismiss it as rubbish anyways.

  8. #157
    @hibs.net private member Aldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Leven
    Age
    51
    Posts
    23,813
    The SJM transfer to Villa has raised our profile imho and how we developed a young player! Others will see this and will be constantly monitoring us. The 2 young lads in the development squad moving south having not kicked a ball speaks volumes too.

    You may also find that teams are also willing to do business with us when we are looking at their players!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if Scholsey on loan at Stenny has a chance next season at Hibs, if Doig was to move on
    Very much in the Lewis Stevenson mould, both in physique and playing style
    Any idea how he's been doing Billy?

  10. #159
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    59
    Posts
    36,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any idea how he's been doing Billy?
    He was out injured for a bit, but scored and was man of the match this week
    He was deemed one our best prospects a year or two ago, but the lack of football for these players hasn’t helped. He’s still only 19, so got time on his side
    Be interesting to see where he plays his football next season

    https://twitter.com/stenhousemuirfc/...932646405?s=21

  11. #160
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    6,572
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "If" being the operative word. If he has a bad season next season and his form declines exponentially he might not get a move at all.
    I wouldnít be disappointed if Doig stayed at Hibs.

  12. #161
    I'd hope Hibs would try their utmost to hang onto the lad for at least another season..and don't sell to the Old Firm please!!

  13. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by CJHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd hope Hibs would try their utmost to hang onto the lad for at least another season..and don't sell to the Old Firm please!!
    Or as part of a deal for Griffiths ?

  14. #163
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    5,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or as part of a deal for Griffiths ?
    Highly likely Griffiths will be a free agent soon so the only deal needing done will be with Griffiths himself.

  15. #164
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Thankerton, SL
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if Scholsey on loan at Stenny has a chance next season at Hibs, if Doig was to move on
    Very much in the Lewis Stevenson mould, both in physique and playing style
    Already a write off for some then.

  16. #165
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    West Edinburgh
    Posts
    12,728
    I don't rate him as highly as some so if we can get a good price, sell him.

  17. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Needlessly harsh statement. There are going to be a lot of clubs desperate to sell this summer, and if we got Alan Campbell, Lawrence Shankland and Stephen O'Donnell for the sale of one player for example then that would strengthen us in three areas for losing a player in a position we're already well covered in.

    Selling players doesn't show a lack of ambition if it's reinvested very well.
    Very true, and obviously that could apply if Nisbet was to leave, it doesn't apply exclusively to Doig.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)