hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Chris Sutton talking about heading the ball and dementia risk

I know Chris Sutton is not everyone's cup of tea (certainly not mine), but I think this kind of interview gives you a bit of a different perspective on someone - which it's important to have. And it's about a hugely important topic, given all the emerging evidence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56651464

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Saw it earlier on BBC News, very emotional watch.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Very sad about his dad. Actually don't mind Sutton and think he is spot on.

This was the original listen, a very powerful podcast from last year.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4uK...TM-n2dM-9bKamQ

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This was the original listen, a very powerful podcast from last year.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4uK...TM-n2dM-9bKamQ
    Yeah, listened to that at the time.

My own Dad was a player, largely during the 50s and heading was a big part of his game. He also now has dementia. There’s so much out there now on the risks. Good that there’s awareness now for the younger generation and footballs certainly aren’t what they were back in the day but hopefully all the right precautions are taken at early ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Yeah, listened to that at the time.

My own Dad was a player, largely during the 50s and heading was a big part of his game. He also now has dementia. There’s so much out there now on the risks. Good that there’s awareness now for the younger generation and footballs certainly aren’t what they were back in the day but hopefully all the right precautions are taken at early ages.
    Sadly there’s still a misapprehension that the risk has disappeared because the modern ball is lighter and therefore heading it is less dangerous. Unfortunately this isn’t the case as lighter balls fly faster and any benefit gained from the weight is overridden by the speed (or the velocity, strictly speaking). Kids are now limited in how often they practice heading in training, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah;[URL="tel:6520106"
    6520106[/URL]]Sadly there’s still a misapprehension that the risk has disappeared because the modern ball is lighter and therefore heading it is less dangerous. Unfortunately this isn’t the case as lighter balls fly faster and any benefit gained from the weight is overridden by the speed (or the velocity, strictly speaking). Kids are now limited in how often they practice heading in training, which is a good thing.
    it doesn’t help that the ‘long ball’ is still very much of the game although a lot of kids clubs are focusing more on playing the ball on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Sadly there’s still a misapprehension that the risk has disappeared because the modern ball is lighter and therefore heading it is less dangerous. Unfortunately this isn’t the case as lighter balls fly faster and any benefit gained from the weight is overridden by the speed (or the velocity, strictly speaking). Kids are now limited in how often they practice heading in training, which is a good thing.
    What is the explanation given for all the women who had/have dementia who's closest experience to a football was picking it up from the bedroom floor and putting it in the closet, both my grannies for example.
    Worldwide stats women outnumber men by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    What is the explanation given for all the women who had/have dementia who's closest experience to a football was picking it up from the bedroom floor and putting it in the closet, both my grannies for example.
    No one is comparing men to women. Ex footballers have a much higher percentage of dementia compared to men in general so therefore a cause for concern.

In your grannies example, I’d imagine they contracted dementia from non impact reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIHIBS View Post
    No one is comparing men to women. Ex footballers have a much higher percentage of dementia compared to men in general so therefore a cause for concern.
    Ex footballers also live longer than the general male population. It's a complex brain disease with many factors unknown as to the cause.

@hibs.net private member
    There are multiple different risk factors for dementia, including previous illness (people are at more risk if they've had diabetes at certain stages in life, for example), smoking, alcohol intake, certain genetic factors and, of course, just old age (when various biological processes can kick in). The recent studies into football show persistent damage from heading a ball is another such risk.

That said, there is lots of useful info out there on (eg) NHS websites, Alzheimer's charities etc. - hibs.net is probably not the best source of medical information on the web (no offence, admins!).

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It reminds you that footballers are just people, no matter what their media persona implies. Well done to Sutton for speaking so candidly. It was very touching.