hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Shelly Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Genuinely think we’ve got the worst pundits and commentators in world football. Shame Darren Fletcher got the job at United as he was really good on Sky at the start of the season.

Stuck with idiots like Boyd, Kerr, Stewart, Craigan, Hartson, Rae, Provan, Walker - the list goes on. Thankfully Commons is a goner as him and Boyd together was unbearable.
    Agreed - a really poor selection

Kerr is awful and not surprised she was sacked from National side. Should have left earlier as manager after failure of the World Cup performances. Caldwell is also poor and when I saw both of them together I thought time for some cliches.

Jane Lewis is actually really good and needs more airtime.

I like Stephen Thompson as he doesn’t take himself too seriously but I’ve watched some Spanish football and the insight at times from some commentators / co commentators is far superior.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    She sums up BBC Scotland’s football coverage. Amateur.

First Team Regular
    The issue with female pundits is they fail by the BBCs own definition - someone who has played at an equivalent or higher level, so their insight fails that basic test.

Personally, id rather we went back to having more journalists as pundits, more articulate and often more interesting, be they male or female. Few ex-players are good pundits.

In saying that in England, i listen to five live and one of the best pundits on it is karen carney, who is very insightful.

So ditch the stupid have to have been an ex player rule, which seems to have been ditched for the women pundits anyway, and get in good people, regardless of who they did or didnt play for.

@hibs.net private member
    I quite like McFadden as a pundit though. But Darren Fletcher was really good

Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    I share the same theory lol. Listening to Provan during the Scotland games was unbearable. So depressing. He souunded raging when we scored our equaliser against Israel.

I watched the highlights on Sportscene that night. And Mikey Stewart was the complete opposite.

Sky could get McCoist to commentate on Scotland games instead he is watching England matches on ITV/STV 🙄
    Stewart might sound the opposite, but his knowledge is horrendous. Countless times during a game he will come out with some utter nonsense, and listening to him and Craigan go on for nearly the whole second half yesterday about why Turnbull wasn’t in the Scotland squad was getting a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post

Kerr is awful and not surprised she was sacked from National side. Should have left earlier as manager after failure of the World Cup performances. Caldwell is also poor and when I saw both of them together I thought time for some cliches.

I like Stephen Thompson as he doesn’t take himself too seriously but I’ve watched some Spanish football and the insight at times from some commentators / co commentators is far superior.
    Think Jane Lewis speaks well enough but her knowledge again shows her up when doing interviews and presenting. Everything is so basic around our game, never hear any single expert talk about shape or small details that have big impacts on games. Premier sports was like Celtic tv last night with Strachan Stubbs and Stewart, and it’ll be like Rangers tv today no doubt with folk like Alec rae etc.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Not whooshed, just you being you.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Shelly Kerr is only employed because she is a high profile woman so meets the criteria for gender equality._😥

Her analysis is poor, her delivery cliched and her knowledge basic and put her under any pressure and she just says the first thing that comes into her head such as "Scott Allan"....panic panic..... I must say something so he becomes "One of Scotland's most promising young players"....at 29.😂

I can't take her seriously as you are always reminded of 3:0 in the final world cup group game with 20 minutes to go where she flapped, flipped and panicked and had no idea how to close out a game with defensive sub's or closed ranks formations.

Joelle Murray is excellent but has no profile which is everything as far as broadcasters are concerned.

First Team Breakthrough
    I remember when She was on the 2019 Scottish Cup final panel Steve Clark had just been appointed and was on it too. They talked about the forthcoming womens world Cup and she said maybe the men would be able to emulate the women one day. Clark shot her the best eyebrow raised WTF look I've ever seen.She came across as someone who reads her own press and clueless.

Even a few weeks ago she came out with that Boyle had put his leg over the top of the county defender. Then claimed that wasn't touched and had dived... She covered all the bases in that one

Quote Originally Posted by hibstag View Post
    I remember when She was on the 2019 Scottish Cup final panel Steve Clark had just been appointed and was on it too. They talked about the forthcoming womens world Cup and she said maybe the men would be able to emulate the women one day. Clark shot her the best eyebrow raised WTF look I've ever seen.She came across as someone who reads her own press and clueless.

Even a few weeks ago she came out with that Boyle had put his leg over the top of the county defender. Then claimed that wasn't touched and had dived... She covered all the bases in that one
    It's symptomatic of the BBC coverage. I don't know why they can't take some pride and joy in our game and instead seem to want to drain the enthusiasm out of it with the coverage and shocking quality of commentary. It's all just so bland! At least she isn't the talking shaved bawbag I suppose...

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Kerr and Caldwell on Friday night, then on Sportscene last night, were horrendous. Chuck in Pressley on the radio last night and you honestly would struggle to find three pundits more likely to have you falling asleep or switching off.

Kerr just uses cliches and often is just plain wrong in her comments (Scott Allan one of the best young midfielders in the country. He’s 29. She put Sean Welsh in the young category as well).

I’ve no problem with her credentials for being considered as a pundit and I’m all for better gender representation, and if these are the pundits (including Caldwell and Pressley) that the BBC are going to run with, then i hope they are supporting them with training to make them better.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Genuinely think we’ve got the worst pundits and commentators in world football. Shame Darren Fletcher got the job at United as he was really good on Sky at the start of the season.

Stuck with idiots like Boyd, Kerr, Stewart, Craigan, Hartson, Rae, Provan, Walker - the list goes on. Thankfully Commons is a goner as him and Boyd together was unbearable.
    Stewart is an excellent pundit, hugely unfair to lump him in with folk like Walker and Provan who genuinely must have got the Sky jobs because there were mates with Nicholas, jeez Alan McInally still gets a job from them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Stewart is an excellent pundit, hugely unfair to lump him in with folk like Walker and Provan who genuinely must have got the Sky jobs because there were mates with Nicholas, jeez Alan McInally still gets a job from them.
    In what way? He like all others gives absolutely no meaningful insight into games, teams, shapes, passages of play. His biomechanics and the likes are hilarious. He may be more enthusiastic about the game but I want my pundits to give me things I don’t know myself and Stewart is miles from that. If you listened to Mikey Stewart and Craigan last night and tbo cut ‘were getting value for money here’ then fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’ve always had a tin foil what mentality when it comes to sky and Scottish football.

I think it suits their agenda to have folk like Andy Walker and Davie Provan talking down our game so kids prefer English clubs instead.

I don’t know what BBC’s excuse is though.
    Nail on the head the Sky sports head Wakeling ? admitted as much that they were trying to talk Scottish football down. Compare and contrast with EPL and championship coverage which even the worst games get very little criticism.

In what way? He like all others gives absolutely no meaningful insight into games, teams, shapes, passages of play. His biomechanics and the likes are hilarious. He may be more enthusiastic about the game but I want my pundits to give me things I don’t know myself and Stewart is miles from that. If you listened to Mikey Stewart and Craigan last night and tbo cut ‘were getting value for money here’ then fair play.
    Personally think his analysis is decent and does analyse re shape etc. Didn't see him last night however he is miles clear of all the other dross you listed.

Biomechanics ?

actually think she is awful. Didn't see yesterday's coverage but have listened to her presenting sportsound and you would struggle to find anyone worse prepared. Constantly got names wrong and just didn't give the impression she had any real knowledge of the game

First Team Breakthrough
    Shelly Kerr is awful,but so is Leanne Crichton and Julie Fleeting.They seem to have read The Book Of Worst Football Cliches and churn them out continuously.
    I have nothing against women presenters.When I watched Match Of The Day thought Gabby Logan was far superior to the oily sycophantic Gary Linecker.
    Can’t believe some posters think Jane Lewis is any good.She stutters and stammers and forgets what she started to say.
    She hit the buffers of embarrassment one afternoon on Sportsound when trying to do a tribute to the late Tommy Docherty.She asked Michael Stewart how he got on with The Doc when he was at Manchester United.Fair play to Stewart instead of telling her to F*** Off he said through gritted teeth that he was at United a long time after The Doc.
    IMO she should have got her jotters for sheer ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Shelly Kerr is awful,but so is Leanne Crichton and Julie Fleeting.They seem to have read The Book Of Worst Football Cliches and churn them out continuously.
    I have nothing against women presenters.When I watched Match Of The Day thought Gabby Logan was far superior to the oily sycophantic Gary Linecker.
    Can’t believe some posters think Jane Lewis is any good.She stutters and stammers and forgets what she started to say.
    She hit the buffers of embarrassment one afternoon on Sportsound when trying to do a tribute to the late Tommy Docherty.She asked Michael Stewart how he got on with The Doc when he was at Manchester United.Fair play to Stewart instead of telling her to F*** Off he said through gritted teeth that he was at United a long time after The Doc.
    I really can't stand listening to Jane Lewis. She may have good knowledge but I really struggle to get past the constant "eh's" during every second sentence.

I watched Kerr and Caldwell last night. Not seen Gary much on the TV and not convinced by him but he may improve given time.
    Shelly Kerr has had enough practice now an she's very convincing; at being woeful.
    Absolutely dire.

@hibs.net private member
    It's the sheer ignorance of the laws of the game that gets me. "There wasn't much contact" for a penalty, when the laws allow the ref to award a penalty for contact. And that's another one they come out with: you are awarded free kicks and penalties. If you "won" them it suggests cheating to me.

At least on Alba I haven't a clue what they are saying so it's less annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Biomechanics ?
    When talking about a Motherwell player being sent off a few years ago started talking about biomechanics and the like. He’s a slaver just like the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    I heard Jane Lewis recently on radio she was good but to be fair I’ve seen examples of her on TV and it’s the opposite.

Lots of folk complaining about the presenters - who do we think would be appropriate to listen to?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I heard Jane Lewis recently on radio she was good but to be fair I’ve seen examples of her on TV and it’s the opposite.

Lots of folk complaining about the presenters - who do we think would be appropriate to listen to?
    In all honesty I think folk would moan on here if it was their own granny presenting the programme! Fwiw Shelley is actually very knowledgeable about the game, just doesn't come over very well on TV for some reason

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    I think Chris Iwelumo is excellent. Would like to see more of him.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    In all honesty I think folk would moan on here if it was their own granny presenting the programme! Fwiw Shelley is actually very knowledgeable about the game, just doesn't come over very well on TV for some reason
    Which is the point being made in the thread.....

There are many people who are very knowledgeable about football who should be nowhere near the telly, unfortunately some of them are on it all the time, and SK is one of them.

As for someone defending Jane Lewis, she is completely amateur, stuttering and tripping her lines up all the time.

Hounding people out of a job is not my style - but there simply must be better out there than the diddies we get on BBC and Radio Scotland.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    I think Chris Iwelumo is excellent. Would like to see more of him.
    Agree 100%, excellent and insightful.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    She sums up BBC Scotland’s football coverage. Amateur.

This my take on it too, she's one of many piss poor pundits working at the BBC, little diversity when it comes to showing their true colours, just awful viewing and listening.

Quote Originally Posted by hibstag View Post

Totally contradicted herself with a penalty incident in the Celtc game when the defender was the one to put his leg in first.

Both her and Pressley are brutal.