hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    I think it's a great draw for us!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Back hibs. We're still in the competition. Permutations only matter if we fail.

Let's do this.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the other team would still have to win it!
    Tomorrow night is massive now for Hibs, no excuses, just need to win
    Huge game for us tomorrow

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Don't know why they didn't just do the semi final draw as well.
    If the rounds are played close together, then it would help with possible travel needs.

We know we'll be playing at hampden for the semi.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    God I hope we get to the final. Imagine wanting the Huns to win a cup! I'd be showering for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Count View Post
    Has now to be a Huns/Tic v Hibees Final to guarantee best European football option.
    Let's do this. We should not rely on other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    We wouldn’t be guaranteed to get in the group stages . We would enter the Europa in an earlier round and if we lost , we would be out .
    We would be guaranteed group stage as we would enter the play off round of the Europa and of we lost we'd drop into the conference groups. Its different this year as nobody qualified for the Europa by winning the conference last year

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    We would be guaranteed group stage as we would enter the play off round of the Europa and of we lost we'd drop into the conference groups. Its different this year as nobody qualified for the Europa by winning the conference last year
    I’m sure that only applies if we get 3rd and us or the old firm win the cup, not if someone else wins the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Yes that would’ve been ideal. It will end up being a repeat of 2016 with us and the hun in the final.
    Well at least that would be the Group stages guaranteed.

Tbh on our day we'd have a chance against them. They might still be cup bottlers 😂

@hibs.net private member Green Reaper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    I think egb was replying to Keysers question about what’s happens if we are third but someone out with the top three win the cup, ie no guaranteed group stages

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Of course but instead of having a chance of Rangers v Celtic in the final it increases the likelihood of another team making it through.
    Yeah, would normally want Celtic and Rangers to meet but because we want us or one of them to win so 3rd place gets the Europa League, it might not be so good. We'll just have to secure 3rd and get to the final against Celtic or Rangers (easier said than done).

Quote Originally Posted by Green Reaper View Post
    I think egb was replying to Keysers question about what’s happens if we are third but someone out with the top three win the cup, ie no guaranteed group stages
    Yup, I misread the post.

@hibs.net private member
    People are crazy thinking Rangers getting Celtic is a bad draw. We’re in the cup to win it. One of them going out early is great for us.

@hibs.net private member
    Obviously we wanted rangers, Celtic or us to win the scottish cup so that we entered the Europa League at the final qualifying round but I thought they weren’t finishing the Scottish Cup this season so therefore the winner of the cup was irrelevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    We desperately need Rangers to win that. Celtic ain’t winning **** this season.
    Why? We’d surely have a better chance of beating Celtic or are Hibs not looking to win the cup this year?

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Why? We’d surely have a better chance of beating Celtic or are Hibs not looking to win the cup this year?
    I think we’re all looking to win the cup, but also keep our options open if we should lose in the cup (more chance of not winning the cup than winning it). As for Rangers or Celtic, couldn’t care less. Both are far better than the rest of the competition. The winner of that tie will be in the semi, we should also be in the semi given our draw.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    But the other team would still have to win it!
    Tomorrow night is massive now for Hibs, no excuses, just need to win
    The OF drawing each other is only ever a good thing for aspirations, is 2016 really that long ago we’ve all forgotten the chain of events?

Not sure if I’m missing something, but does a finalist beaten by the league winners (or runners up) revert to taking the next best European slot by virtue of that? I thought that had been binned a long time back.

If, imagine it , the Huns or Celtic beat St Mirren say (or anyone below 3rd in league placing) in the final, isn’t the preferred Euro slot going to go to 3rd place anyway?

@hibs.net private member
    Great draw for us in terms of our progress but for me I'd rather the Uglies had avoided each other until the semis if we were still in and the final if we are out. Better to concentrate on getting through tomorrow and making sure of third first though

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    The OF drawing each other is only ever a good thing for aspirations, is 2016 really that long ago we’ve all forgotten the chain of events?

Not sure if I’m missing something, but does a finalist beaten by the league winners (or runners up) revert to taking the next best European slot by virtue of that? I thought that had been binned a long time back.

If, imagine it , the Huns or Celtic beat St Mirren say (or anyone below 3rd in league placing) in the final, isn’t the preferred Euro slot going to go to 3rd place anyway?
    You’re right IP, a team outside of the top 3 would have to win the Cup, runners up don’t get Euro places

We haven't beat QoS yet.

I’m guessing the Stranraer game will be moved for tv if we get past QoS.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    I think it's a great draw for us!
    Totally agree. My main priority is to win the cup. Couldn’t of been more favourable. Hope Celtic beat the Huns as Rangers name is almost on the cupi if they win but I fancy our chances against a pishy Celtic in a semi or final. Come on the Hibees!!

You’re right IP, a team outside of the top 3 would have to win the Cup, runners up don’t get Euro places
    Don’t know what the fuss is about then. Folk desperate for an OF final. Worlds gone mad right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_M View Post
    We haven't beat QoS yet.
    Exactly.

Coaching Staff
    Don’t know what the fuss is about then. Folk desperate for an OF final. Worlds gone mad right enough.
    It has just made it slightly more likely that a non OF team could win.

The likes of Aberdeen and St Johnstone for example are more of a threat with one of them taken out.

It is still likely that the remaining one would win it but something can always happen that is not expected. Just need that to happen once now instead of twice.

Nobody is desperate for an old firm final as long as Hibs are in it. Many wanted them to be kept apart to help if Hibs were to lose at any point. Absolutely no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It has just made it slightly more likely that a non OF team could win.

The likes of Aberdeen and St Johnstone for example are more of a threat with one of them taken out.

It is still likely that the remaining one would win it but something can always happen that is not expected. Just need that to happen once now instead of twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Nobody is desperate for an old firm final as long as Hibs are in it. Many wanted them to be kept apart to help if Hibs were to lose at any point. Absolutely no problem with that.
    It’s been described as a terrible draw for Hibs. Sounds desperate. Nothing of the sort surely.

There’s always a chance someone else could win it. Recently that’s been happening quite a lot. If Hibs get knocked out we can start rooting for one of them to win it.

People get scared of the day they’ve not seen yet.

It’s been described as a terrible draw for Hibs. Sounds desperate. Nothing of the sort surely.

There’s always a chance someone else could win it. Recently that’s been happening quite a lot. If Hibs get knocked out we can start rooting for one of them to win it.

While I agree, if they’re both oot and Hibs get beat then we can’t root for them to win it can we? Chances are one of those two will win it, the chances of someone not us or the old firm winning it are slim anyway so I’m not getting all worked up about draws. Rangers haven’t won a domestic cup in so long that they’ll have the bit between their teeth now, and Celtic haven’t not won a trophy in a season in so long that they won’t want that to happen. And we’re the third best side by a distance. Our draw to the semi couldn’t have been kinder and once we get there I want us to avoid Rangers/Celtic as usual.

Out of the others that I could see winning it, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, st mirren and Dundee United, only two of them will be in the semi if one of the uglies get there. And in a final I can’t see any of them beating Rangers or Celtic; their best chance would be in a semi.

If someone has said it’s a disastrous draw I don’t agree with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    While I agree, if they’re both oot and Hibs get beat then we can’t root for them to win it can we? Chances are one of those two will win it, the chances of someone not us or the old firm winning it are slim anyway so I’m not getting all worked up about draws. Rangers haven’t won a domestic cup in so long that they’ll have the bit between their teeth now, and Celtic haven’t not won a trophy in a season in so long that they won’t want that to happen. And we’re the third best side by a distance. Our draw to the semi couldn’t have been kinder and once we get there I want us to avoid Rangers/Celtic as usual.

Out of the others that I could see winning it, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, st mirren and Dundee United, only two of them will be in the semi if one of the uglies get there. And in a final I can’t see any of them beating Rangers or Celtic; their best chance would be in a semi.

If someone has said it’s a disastrous draw I don’t agree with them though.
    As soon as the draw was made the jitters appeared about how bad this was!
    Lots of ifs and buts but it’s unquestionable that they could both have been out next round or they could both have been through.....not now though.
    And right now we are guaranteed to miss one of them if we keep our minerals about us and make the semis. So that’s a tick for a percentage shot at avoiding them.

Changing world I know but losing our **** about the potential cup finalists when we’ve yet to play a tie is a new one on me.

Good post and 100% right.
    Cougars!!!