hibs.net Messageboard

Chance to win new book The Hibs Are Here - Miller to the Millennium by Ian Colquhoun

The Edinburgh Reporter is running a competition to win a signed copy of Ian's new book, 'The Hibs Are Here - Miller to the Millennium'

https://theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2...ok-about-hibs/

Just started reading it and it's already brought back some memories.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    As a child of the Miller Era...

Well I thank him for seeing us through the dark times and to a cup and Europe.

I felt he ran out of ideas and got stale. He was and still is dour but there was no doubting his commitment.

That inexcusable Derby record set back Hibs a generation I feel. Would be interesting to hear his take on it. Surely Playing players out of position didnt help.

I don’t have time for a more nuanced comment. Thank God we had some highlights and better times around the corner.

I grew up watching the likes of Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello, Joe McBride, Colin Stein, Eric Stevenson then the Tornadoes so I never took to Alex Miller at the time, but looking back he did sign some good players. Andy Goram, Steve Archibald, Murdo, Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Pat McGinlay, Michael O'Neil, Kevin McAllister etc.
    Books a good read, well researched and brings back lots of good and some not so good memories. Worse ways to spend an afternoon during lockdown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I grew up watching the likes of Peter Cormack, Peter Marinello, Joe McBride, Colin Stein, Eric Stevenson then the Tornadoes so I never took to Alex Miller at the time, but looking back he did sign some good players. Andy Goram, Steve Archibald, Murdo, Keith Wright, Darren Jackson, Pat McGinlay, Michael O'Neil, Kevin McAllister etc.
    Books a good read, well researched and brings back lots of good and some not so good memories. Worse ways to spend an afternoon during lockdown.
    I once had a conversation with AM and Dougie Cromb where I asked AM why he had everyone back at corners. He gave a detailed answer but his underlying assumption was we needed to mark as many players as the opposition put in the box. I suggested that if we left a couple of small, speedy players, e.g. Kevin Harper, outside the box then the opposition would probably leave 2 or 3 back to mark them. He looked at me as if he had never considered this & maybe he hadn't. IIRC Budgie made a similar comment in his book about AM reacting to the opposition rather than the other way round.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Started to read this book and so far as others have said well researched and written bitter sweet memories well told with a hint of humour

A very good account of a trip to Anderlecht by bus that brought back memories of countless away trips in the last quarter of the last century following the Cabbage

Just finished the book and enjoyed it.
    Some good interviews from Jim Duffy, Chris Jackson, Mark McGraw and Davie Farrell who were mainly on the fringes.
    Worth a read.

Now I ken it's Easter Monday.
    And I ken we're an Irish Catholic club.
    And I ken some Latin American lads fae Opus Dei or the like get nailed to crosses for the weekend.
    But is re-living the mid-80s to millennium era no taking the hair shirt thing a wee bit far?

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectly Loud View Post
    And I ken some Latin American lads fae Opus Dei or the like get nailed to crosses for the weekend.
    But is re-living the mid-80s to millennium era no taking the hair shirt thing a wee bit far?
    Always look on the bright side of Leith...

@hibs.net private member linlithgowhibbie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfectly Loud View Post

The above is a load ay keech, imho

Will have to get this. Started being taken long before this but this is the period where I really started going regularly. It's for that reason and for the get together with the East Lancs branch that the Miller era gets a free pass with me.

To be fair even with the tactics we did have good players who could play despite what was being asked if them.

First Team Breakthrough
    Good grief the signed book has just been delivered, can't believe I've actually won something. Oh happy day! must get a lottery for this week.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackfordhibby View Post
    Good grief the signed book has just been delivered, can't believe I've actually won something. Oh happy day! must get a lottery for this week.
    Congratulations

Well done

Just finished reading this book and would highly recommend it

It makes you realise what a fantastic coach Lexo actually was

Miles ahead of his time Sports Science wise

Signed some cracking players playing with two wingers Crunchie and Michael O’Neill with Keef and Jacksona in the middle splitting the Old Firm

Went on to win the Champions League with Liverpool and almost as soon as he left we got relegated

Enjoy