hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eddie Howe

@hibs.net private member Jim Herriot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting one for Celtic.

Can anyone else name another manager with a question for a surname?
    Neil What? John Whose?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    The idiots on here could get celtic into top 2...

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Interesting one for Celtic.

Can anyone else name another manager with a question for a surname?
    Dennis Wise😎

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    The idiots on here could get celtic into top 2...
    Go on then.

The rangers and celtc are similar size clubs, with similar size resources, paying (I imagine) similar wages.
    It is therefore likely when it comes to signings they'll largely be "fishing in the same pool" of players.

Now imagine you are a signing target for both. Are you going to sign for the former Champions League winning Liverpool legend, England stalwart and current Premier League winning manager Gerard OR the bang average former Portsmouth player, who couldn't stand being as far north as Burnley, whose managerial highlight so far is having Bournemouth playing 'nice' football on a budget 5 times Celtc's AND who comes across like he might cry if you said BOO to him......?

Get yer cash on the huns for next season's title .

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    The rangers and celtc are similar size clubs, with similar size resources, paying (I imagine) similar wages.
    It is therefore likely when it comes to signings they'll largely be "fishing in the same pool" of players.

Now imagine you are a signing target for both. Are you going to sign for the former Champions League winning Liverpool legend, England stalwart and current Premier League winning manager Gerard OR the bang average former Portsmouth player, who couldn't stand being as far north as Burnley, whose managerial highlight so far is having Bournemouth playing 'nice' football on a budget 5 times Celtc's AND who comes across like he might cry if you said BOO to him......?

Celtic's wage bill is supposedly considerably higher than Sevco's and has been for many years now.

Sums it up perfectly

You’re advising me to bet on rangers to win the league based on some fantasy that they’ll be trying to sign the same players as Celtic, and beating them to it, all season and Gerrard’s (who finally won his first major trophy as a manager during a pandemic and the biggest mess of a Celtic team in probably my lifetime) playing career somehow having a huge advantage over a well respected and regarded former premier league manager? Oh and because he’s seemingly a decent guy as well, as opposed to the bitter hard man that is Gerrard... because that somehow counts against him too.

I think I’ll keep my money in my pocket. That logic suggests Keane would be their best likely appointment and easily better than the likes of Jose Mourninho or Sir Alex Ferguson would have been.

Left by mutual consent!

Exactly, very well put. It is a strange appointment for Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    You’re advising me to bet on rangers to win the league based on some fantasy that they’ll be trying to sign the same players as Celtic, and beating them to it, all season and Gerrard’s (who finally won his first major trophy as a manager during a pandemic and the biggest mess of a Celtic team in probably my lifetime) playing career somehow having a huge advantage over a well respected and regarded former premier league manager? Oh and because he’s seemingly a decent guy as well, as opposed to the bitter hard man that is Gerrard... because that somehow counts against him too.

I think I’ll keep my money in my pocket. That logic suggests Keane would be their best likely appointment and easily better than the likes of Jose Mourninho or Sir Alex Ferguson would have been.
    Ha! Opinions eh...

I must've missed Roy Keane managing a team to a Premier League title though? Hmmm..

*I don't know what age you are but if you think this Celtc team are a mess you should Google Stuart Slater, Tony Cascarino and Carl Muggleton's time in the weege 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Celtic's wage bill is supposedly considerably higher than Sevco's and has been for many years now.
    Agreed. It has been. But part of that is down to their policy of signing 2,3 or 4 million quid players - hoping to sell them on to English teams for a profit - which has failed spectacularly in the last couple of years. Loads of guys on their books earning serious money and not kicking a ball.

Ha! Opinions eh...

I must've missed Roy Keane managing a team to a Premier League title though? Hmmm..

*I don't know what age you are but if you think this Celtc team are a mess you should Google Stuart Slater, Tony Cascarino and Carl Muggleton's time in the weege 🤣
    Opinions indeed! And yep those names definitely before my time ;)

I’m sure we can both agree that we want both Gerrard and Howe (assuming he is appointed) to be ***** next season 👍

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Opinions indeed! And yep those names definitely before my time ;)

I’m sure we can both agree that we want both Gerrard and Howe (assuming he is appointed) to be ***** next season 👍
    Now THAT we can 100% agree on !

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Easier for Bishopmillers to handle volatile food stuff's - they grew up with typhoid and other nasties as the norm unlike us more cultured free state New Elginer's
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Cool, thanks for opening it and posting on it 😁
    I like to stand up and be counted when I'm being indifferent 😉

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Assuming Eddie Howe does take the job, does anyone else think that there could be role there for Marv?
    His knowledge of Scottish Football would be a huge asset for Howe and there’s an obvious affinity between them.
    Be a big decision for Marv if it were offered as I would assume it would be in a non playing capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Assuming Eddie Howe does take the job, does anyone else think that there could be role there for Marv?
    His knowledge of Scottish Football would be a huge asset for Howe and there’s an obvious affinity between them.
    Be a big decision for Marv if it were offered as I would assume it would be in a non playing capacity.
    No

I don’t think players will be seeing it like that. Of course they will be enticed by European football - say Champions League over Europa League but if the wages are similar there isn’t much to choose between the different clubs.

You could say Howe winning the Championship in England is more impressive than Gerrard winning the Scottish Premiership. I agree with another poster it’s been one of the worst Celtic teams ever and not just that but other teams..Hibs..Aberdeen and no Hearts has made it easier to win the league.

Gerrard also had 3 years to get to this point - what other trophies has he won in Scotland during that time ? He was close to the sack last season after several losses.

This season..St Mirren knocked them out league cup! They should be winning the treble but won’t.

Beale is one of the main reasons Rangers have done well - he’s a great coach - Gerrard actually doesn’t coach much just does the management. Howe likes to take the team sessions so will be interesting to see who he brings with him.

Next season..Aberdeen in transition..Hearts probably similar..Hibs will be pretty similar with a few changes...Celtic having to rebuild. You would expect the Huns to be favourites as will be mostly same players they have spent millions on in the last few years - but would say they are favourites but only just to win league.

How Howe deals with the pressure of the rivalry and how much backing he gets will determine how successful they are - but he’s a good coach and has shown he can get the best from players so should be interesting and like Rodgers an important career step if he wants to use Celtic like Gerrard is using Rangers as stepping stone to bigger things in future.
    Last edited by GreenCastle; 03-04-2021 at 07:19 AM.