hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Couple of bad seasons with injury, did my shoulder getting a golf lesson in 2020 and broke my hand last summer so got high hopes for an injury free season ahead. New sticks in the bag and raring to go.

First competition as such in a few years in a couple of weeks, 3 man team comp at Dornoch end of this month. Trying to get hitting as many balls before then.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Early season but Kingsbarns was well ahead in condition. I like Ladybank a lot but perhaps I’m biased as Kingsbans is possibly my favourite in the whole country. Ladybank greens need another three or four weeks to even catch up with my club at Harburn who’s green's are inexplicably brilliant. I’ve been a member for well over 30 years and have never seen them this good this early. Didn’t do kittocks as the weather was horrendous.

I’m at The Renaissance tomorrow for the first time so looking forward to that
    My dad's been saying the same about Harburn lately. Not played it in a wee while, but hoping to get there for a game soon.

If you've not tried it yet, I'd recommend Dumbarnie in Fife too - new track and a great test.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    My dad's been saying the same about Harburn lately. Not played it in a wee while, but hoping to get there for a game soon.

If you've not tried it yet, I'd recommend Dumbarnie in Fife too - new track and a great test.
    Played Dumbarnie year past October. Great course. I do believe they are struggling with the greens right now. Something to do with a fertiliser application. I’m there in July again so hopefully whatever the problem is they have it under control.
    Renaissance is a terrific experience. First class course, clubhouse and experience.. it helps when your game turns up. ( back nine anyway😂😂). If you get the chance jump at it.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Played Dumbarnie year past October. Great course. I do believe they are struggling with the greens right now. Something to do with a fertiliser application. I’m there in July again so hopefully whatever the problem is they have it under control.
    Renaissance is a terrific experience. First class course, clubhouse and experience.. it helps when your game turns up. ( back nine anyway😂😂). If you get the chance jump at it.
    As a Marshall at last year's Scottish Open, we got a round on Renaissance last October as a thank you. I agree with what you say about the course, great experience. I worried what my score was voing to be, but had 28 points after 14, but then tired to 32 - at least thats my excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Couple of bad seasons with injury, did my shoulder getting a golf lesson in 2020 and broke my hand last summer so got high hopes for an injury free season ahead. New sticks in the bag and raring to go.

First competition as such in a few years in a couple of weeks, 3 man team comp at Dornoch end of this month. Trying to get hitting as many balls before then.
    Be interested in your thoughts about Dornoch. Played it 4 times, twice off the back tees. Played many famous courses, but for me its the best i have ever played

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    As a Marshall at last year's Scottish Open, we got a round on Renaissance last October as a thank you. I agree with what you say about the course, great experience. I worried what my score was voing to be, but had 28 points after 14, but then tired to 32 - at least thats my excuse!
    A nice 37 points today. 20 on the back nine. The whole vibe around the place is excellent.

Played bruntsfield the other day and never seen the course in such good condition, greens were incredibly pure.

Gullane no1 on Monday, course is always pristine but it was on another level to what I’ve experienced before there.

Be interested in your thoughts about Dornoch. Played it 4 times, twice off the back tees. Played many famous courses, but for me its the best i have ever played
    I'm very lucky to have recently moved to Dornoch and live a 4 iron from the first tee! I'm a Struie member just now which is the 2nd course at Dornoch which is a cracking track on its own! Waiting to get on to the top course, with how busy the course is already with visitors i cant see that coming this year

Played it many many times over the years and love it. A lot of cracking holes, the par 4 14th 'foxy' is probably my favorite hole in golf. The par 3's are all very tough. The new 7th has people split but I like it.

Very lucky living up here with so many great courses, for me Brora is the pick of the lot, just proper golf!

I'm very lucky to have recently moved to Dornoch and live a 4 iron from the first tee! I'm a Struie member just now which is the 2nd course at Dornoch which is a cracking track on its own! Waiting to get on to the top course, with how busy the course is already with visitors i cant see that coming this year

Played it many many times over the years and love it. A lot of cracking holes, the par 4 14th 'foxy' is probably my favorite hole in golf. The par 3's are all very tough. The new 7th has people split but I like it.

Very lucky living up here with so many great courses, for me Brora is the pick of the lot, just proper golf!
    Thought you were visiting Dornoch, didn't realise you are one lucky guy!

I agree about foxy, who needs bunkers to make a great hole? Also the 2nd and 6th great 3s without being long.

Looking for lessons suggestions, have previously had lessons with PA at Swanston and had one lesson with the pro at Duddingston but neither really worked out for me. I think my biggest takeaway from those lessons was lack of a structured practice routine for drills and so on. Ideally I'd like to find someone who can give me stuff to go practice but in a structured manner (i.e this drill X amount per practice session etc) Kinda like you'd have if you had a personal trainer at the gym who would set up a training program for you. Doesn't seem to be anyone that does this kinda thing from what I can see.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Looking for lessons suggestions, have previously had lessons with PA at Swanston and had one lesson with the pro at Duddingston but neither really worked out for me. I think my biggest takeaway from those lessons was lack of a structured practice routine for drills and so on. Ideally I'd like to find someone who can give me stuff to go practice but in a structured manner (i.e this drill X amount per practice session etc) Kinda like you'd have if you had a personal trainer at the gym who would set up a training program for you. Doesn't seem to be anyone that does this kinda thing from what I can see.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Try Neil Fenwick out at The Melville. Cracking golfer, great coach and a Hibee as well.

@hibs.net private member
    I have had 2 pull outs at Ladybank @ 4:30 tomorrow drop me a pm if anyone fancies a game

Try Neil Fenwick out at The Melville. Cracking golfer, great coach and a Hibee as well.
    Cheers have sent him a message.

Golf is the most infuriating game ever ��

Playing off 11 I was cruising round Liberton yesterday in the Spring competition.
    3 over par after 13 holes in difficult windy conditions.
    Last 5 holes - 7 over par including 2 doubles, nightmare.!!
    Felt totally deflated at the end

This morning I can’t wait to get back out for a game ����

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Golf is the most infuriating game ever ��

Playing off 11 I was cruising round Liberton yesterday in the Spring competition.
    3 over par after 13 holes in difficult windy conditions.
    Last 5 holes - 7 over par including 2 doubles, nightmare.!!
    Felt totally deflated at the end

This morning I can’t wait to get back out for a game ����
    Feel your pain. Sitting 2 over par on the 17th tee at West Lothian’s Stableford open this morning. I’m 6 over on the 18th tee finishing with par at the last. Gutted doesn’t cover it. Guaranteed to get beat on a count back.
    Last edited by greenlex; 25-04-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Feel your pain. Sitting 2 over par on the 17th tee at West Lothian’s Stableford open this morning. I’m 6 over on the 18th tee finishing with par at the last. Gutted doesn’t cover it. Guaranteed to get beat on a count back.
    Bloody knew it. Beaten on a count back. £125 voucher has softened the blow tho.
    Last edited by greenlex; 25-04-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Bloody knew it. Beaten on a count back. £125 voucher has softened the blow tho.
    I ended up 3d in Div A so will pick up a few quid for that.
    I had one of only 10 2s in the competition so that will also be worth quite a few quid.
    Probably around £50 overall
    As you say, softens the blow, but what could have been 😢
    At least the handicap came down a bit

Stoopid bloody game.

@hibs.net private member
    Is Dunbar a decent course?

Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    Is Dunbar a decent course?
    Yes. Excellent

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. Excellent
    Thank you,

If we are having a double round would would Gullane 2 or 3 be worth a knock round aswell

Quote Originally Posted by FifeHibs View Post
    Thank you,

If we are having a double round would would Gullane 2 or 3 be worth a knock round aswell
    Hell yes. Both excellent too. Gullane 2 before 3 purely down to length rather than any other consideration.

I played a relatively new course in Inverness last Friday. The Kings Golf club has basically replaced Torvean and opened in 2019. Greens were good and the layout is terrific. A worthwhile experience if your up there at Castle Stuart or Dornoch. Condition of tees wasn’t great with patchy areas but there was plenty enough grass on the par three tees. The fairways however were rather poor and they are obviously struggling with them. Not near enough grass on them and noticeable by the over seeding and fertiliser on them. A year or so of growth should do them the world of good. It’s a good test and worth a visit. 28 points in a strong westerly and squally showers off the yelliows just shy of 6200 yards in their senior open was acceptable. I’d like another go at it now I’ve been round the layout. Nice friendly shiny new clubhouse too. I’ll be back.

Played Gullane 1 on Wednesday. After nearly 50 years, it finally happened.
    Hole in 1 achieved on the 9th 😀😀

Played Gullane 1 on Wednesday. After nearly 50 years, it finally happened.
    Hole in 1 achieved on the 9th 😀😀
    Congratulations. I got my first in March after 60+ years. Now we can look forward to our second 🏌 👍

Congratulations. I got my first in March after 60+ years. Now we can look forward to our second 🏌 👍
    It’s some feeling after so many years of trying isn’t it. 👍
    The other groups on the 8th green and 10th tee certainly heard the shouting 😂

One off my playing partners has had 18 holes in one, I kid you you not !!! He is a very low handicapper but 18 is scarcely believable

It’s some feeling after so many years of trying isn’t it. 👍
    The other groups on the 8th green and 10th tee certainly heard the shouting 😂

One off my playing partners has had 18 holes in one, I kid you you not !!! He is a very low handicapper but 18 is scarcely believable
    Maybe he is including pitch and putt courses and putting greens? If so, I've had loads 🤭 Or else he is just a really good player!

When I had mine, the pro at the club said that Seve never had one. I googled it and its true. So good to drop that into the conversation with a smug look on the face!

Maybe he is including pitch and putt courses and putting greens? If so, I've had loads 🤭 Or else he is just a really good player!

When I had mine, the pro at the club said that Seve never had one. I googled it and its true. So good to drop that into the conversation with a smug look on the face!
    LOL. It’s true about 18, I knew he had some but he never mentioned how many before.
    Most were at Liberton which has a couple of short par 3s.
    He is a 3 handicapper at Gullane, so yes, a very good player 😅
    Didn’t know about Seve, but apparently many tour pros haven’t had one, which surprised me

Played in my first ever seniors open at West Lothian GC on Wednesday. Course was in brilliant condition and the greens were as good as anything I've seen. Fantastic. Very windy but scored well. First time playing there and thought it was a very good, interesting course. Will definitely play again.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Got offered a free hit round the Queens at Gleneagles last week. First time I've played any of them.

Loved it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"