hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

New Golf Season - High Hopes?

First round in 4 months yesterday as Englandshire finally got its act together.

Pleased to report a net 69 / 39 points and a win for me in the first Wednesday Sweepie Top golfer in a field of over 100

Body broken with Deep Heat, Deep Freeze and co-codamol needed this morning!

Aim for the season is to return to single figures - and feeling confident I can do it!

All the best for the new season gowfers!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Weve just had it announced that we can start playing again from the 26th April (ROI). I went up from 11 to 13 last year (I only started playing again after a 15 year break so 11 was too low). My hope (if we get comps going again) is that I get down to 10. Certainly gonna play as much as I can to give it a go, gotta get my moneys worth for the membership some how!).

On a plus the. course looks in great condition http://www.strandhillgolfclub.com/

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Can't yet play at my home course as too far away, so have been limited to Edinburgh Council courses and Musselburgh Old under the 5 mile rule. Hopefully that will change by the end of the month.

Played Musselburgh this morning, 21 points for 9 holes including twice 3-putting and missing a 4 footer. Very happy at how i hit the ball, but another season of "if only" looks like looming!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    If I don’t finish the season with a handicap of about 15 I’ll be astonished.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    I'm new to it, but current form is shocking. Hit my best score about a month ago and have been hopeless since.

Three rounds, three top 8 finishes and three cuts.

One pairs comp also and tied 2nd.

There is life in the old dog yet!

.......and out of the blue a couple of runner up spots with net 65’s Stupid game.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .......and out of the blue a couple of runner up spots with net 65’s Stupid game.
    Nice one. Some bandit winning was it?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    As always. Naw today was a decent player who’s had a poor run of late so fair play to him. I had a treble and a double in there too or I’d have skooshed it. Daft game.

Gamer IDs

I was 35 points with 2 blobs today. I can't seem to stop having 1 or 2 silly holes every round
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I was 35 points with 2 blobs today. I can't seem to stop having 1 or 2 silly holes every round
    Bloody golf!!!

Naw - he was second

Thoughts on the new WHS??? Some strange tales out there about shooting up or down when 'in the buffer'

9 holes tonight and outing Friday (Bury) and Medal Saturday (at home - Bolton Old Links) this week - play well all!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    Thoughts on the new WHS??? Some strange tales out there about shooting up or down when 'in the buffer'

9 holes tonight and outing Friday (Bury) and Medal Saturday (at home - Bolton Old Links) this week - play well all!
    I've come down from 14.3 to 13.1 with my last 3 rounds. Could've been more but as above 1 or 2 daft holes are causing me problems most rounds.

There's gonna be a lot of bizarre scores winning medals until it settles down though.

Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post

Two scores in the mid 60’s. Handicap came down a whole.1 as a similar score fell out the last 20. Down a further .7 for the second one. It feels weird and will take a bit if getting used to. It should work out fine in the long run but it’s open to abuse both ways. It’s geared to the social golfer more than the competitive one.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Handicap now 8.1 and since returning to play after lockdown i cant put a round together. 34 points yesterday, but 31 27 and 31 last week, cant go a round without blobbing at least 2 holes sometimes 3.

Game drives me mad, my mate has come back as if he's never been away and scoring 38s and 39s off his 12 handicap.

It used to be me who was the bandit.

Played in a 3 ball yesterday, 41 points.

Bought a new spider putter at the weekend, used it for the first time and wow, what a bloody difference it made.

I did drive well, and chipped reasonably well, but putting was superb. Never 3 putted at all, no blobs and a four one putts.

I knew there was a good round coming, but never thought it would be that good.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Bought a new spider putter at the weekend, used it for the first time and wow, what a bloody difference it made.

I did drive well, and chipped reasonably well, but putting was superb. Never 3 putted at all, no blobs and a four one putts.

Happy days! ..avoiding 3 stabs is pivotal

Good Stuff. Yesterday was a game of two halves. Three putted the 9th to go out in 1 under. 7 over the back nine with a double bogey -bogey finish. Bloody game.

Gamer IDs

I've went from 14.3 to 12.8 since season started. 4 of my last 5 rounds are counters and yet I've had 1 or 2 stupid holes in every round.

An 8 on the 12th yesterday for example. Just can't cut out the stupid errors.

I've went from 14.3 to 12.8 since season started. 4 of my last 5 rounds are counters and yet I've had 1 or 2 stupid holes in every round.

An 8 on the 12th yesterday for example. Just can't cut out the stupid errors.
    One day Dave just one day it will happen. Then it will be. Back to usual.

Gamer IDs

Its an interesting one. My brother keeps saying I need a new putter when I'm convinced it's me that's the problem

I did consider buying a spider but what is it that makes you think its made such a difference?

Its an interesting one. My brother keeps saying I need a new putter when I'm convinced it's me that's the problem

I did consider buying a spider but what is it that makes you think its made such a difference?
    My mate has one and i had tried it a couple of times a fortnight ago in games against my mates, it just sits nice on the green. It seems to line up better than my two previous putters, both taylormade odyseys mallet head types.

It feels right in my hands, it looks good and it sits nice and square to the ball on the green, and all that makes me feel more confidant.

I think confidence is a huge part of putting, and i certainly feel much more confidant on the greens than before.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I have had an Odyssey Backstryke putter for a long time. The face is getting roughed up and just can't seem to improve it so planning on a new one.

Played in a Seniors Mixed event yesterday. Missed from 3 feet on the 2nd but then holed 4 from 10-15 feet. One of those days when you see the line clearly and get the pace right.

But still going to get a new one as I know its not going to last.

I put in my 4th card yesterday, after getting my intial handicap. It was my best card to date scoring wise, 3 strokes better. Yet my handicap index has gone up .1?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    I put in my 4th card yesterday, after getting my intial handicap. It was my best card to date scoring wise, 3 strokes better. Yet my handicap index has gone up .1?
    This from Scottish Golf. Remember it’s your net differential multiplied by 113 divided by the course slope rating. You might also only be playing of 95% of your playing handicap too. I don’t fully understand the 95% bit but yesterday my playing handicap was less than stated on course board and Scottish Golf app. I’ve given up trying to understand why but was a shot more net than I thought because of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by greenlex; 06-05-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Easier course?

This from Scottish Golf. Remember it’s your net differential multiplied by 113 divided by the course slope rating. You might also only be playing of 95% of your playing handicap too. I don’t fully understand the 95% bit but yesterday my playing handicap was less than stated on course board and Scottish Golf app. I’ve given up trying to understand why but was a shot more net than I thought because of it.
    It's contrived nonsense.

It should have been three grades for courses - with +10% on handicap, handicap and -10% on handicap.

Full handicaps at all times - no 95% or 9/10s as was.

Kids hate sheeeite like this and the authorities continue to ignore the need to make the game appeal to the next gen.

What is the differential to? To par? Or to the Course rating?

I'm not sure mine is correct. The slope doesn't appear to be applied to the score differential in my counting score (similarly only 4 cards, so HCI is my latest differential minus 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Easier course?
    Same course, same tees.