hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs90 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking for a course I can play over next two or three months where I don't have to use a stupid mat and winter greens aren't a thing.

Any ideas? Someone told me I could join Ed Leisure as they dont use mats or temp greens etc but would need someone to confirm.
    Kings acre never used to use mats in the winter. I’m afraid most if not all clubs will use winter greens if there’s either tons of rain or frost about.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Looking for a course I can play over next two or three months where I don't have to use a stupid mat and winter greens aren't a thing.

Any ideas? Someone told me I could join Ed Leisure as they dont use mats or temp greens etc but would need someone to confirm.
    If you come back in about 25 years you might get on to the membership waiting list for Gullane. 🙄. No mats or winter greens there.

Seriously though, Gullane 3 is worth a visit in the winter months and the greens fees are reasonable.

Cheers. Been going through a bunch of lessons and practice session at the range but haven't been on a course that allows play off the grass yet to see how I'm getting on and would be keen to do so a few times.

Obviously aware of the reasons winter greens/mats etc are in use.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Edinburgh Leisure don't require fairway mats. They do sometimes have winter greens but it depends on conditions e.g. if the normal one is flooded or frozen.

Eyemouth also do a winter membership. Dearer and further away but depends how fussy you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Edinburgh Leisure don't require fairway mats. They do sometimes have winter greens but it depends on conditions e.g. if the normal one is flooded or frozen.

Eyemouth also do a winter membership. Dearer and further away but depends how fussy you are.

Cheers speedy will look into both

I had a game at Dunbar today, good weather, course in excellent nick and I even played reasonably well considering I hadn't struck a ball for about 4 weeks. Mats are compulsory until probably the end of February, I don't particularly like them but after a couple of holes you do get used to them. I find pitching is the most difficult part of the game, I had zero control today but there again that might be have been down to my lack of touch and poor technique so I don't really blame the mats. Or maybe I do ! 🤔

Edinburgh Leisure courses are currently in excellent condition. Some tee mats in use but few if any temporary greens. No fairway mats.

I have played Carricknowe and Silverknowes in the past week and both in very good condition.

Very good value if taking the monthly direct debit membership for a few months. And you have the choice of 6 courses.

Braids is a tough course but is in absolutely first class condition imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I had a game at Dunbar today, good weather, course in excellent nick and I even played reasonably well considering I hadn't struck a ball for about 4 weeks. Mats are compulsory until probably the end of February, I don't particularly like them but after a couple of holes you do get used to them. I find pitching is the most difficult part of the game, I had zero control today but there again that might be have been down to my lack of touch and poor technique so I don't really blame the mats. Or maybe I do ! 🤔
    If anything the mats should be producing more spin

If anything the mats should be producing more spin
    They do, but the pitch and run shots are much more difficult to judge. At least they are with me.

Think I’m needing someone to look at improving my swing any recommendations for lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Think I’m needing someone to look at improving my swing any recommendations for lessons?
    Let us know where you are based about. There’s a lot of keen golfers on here spread about the country, good chance someone will be able to recommend a lesson 👍

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Let us know where you are based about. There’s a lot of keen golfers on here spread about the country, good chance someone will be able to recommend a lesson 👍

Edinburgh area although I move to West Lothian shortly.

Anyone played Fairmont kittocks recently/in winter before?

Playing it Saturday for the first time and really looking forward to it, but I’m unsure what to expect.

Was at Dunbar on Monday cracking day and course in fine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post

Playing it Saturday for the first time and really looking forward to it, but I’m unsure what to expect.
    I played the old course, Eden and strathtyrum over Xmas period and they were all immaculate. The fairmont courses are decent, they're not the old course obviously but I reckon they'll be in decent nick.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar

Fairways get a bit soggy to be fair but it’s not really rained too much of late. Greens usually good. Decent test.

I see a few soft idiots including that Sarah stirk on sky sports news I’d ‘outraged’ by tigers joke between himself and Thomas where he handed him a tampon.

Worlds gone ****ing mad.

I see a few soft idiots including that Sarah stirk on sky sports news I’d ‘outraged’ by tigers joke between himself and Thomas where he handed him a tampon.

Worlds gone ****ing mad.
    It was a stupid thing to do and he deserves all the criticism coming his way. He's an arse.

Moving to West Lothian so have joined Deer Park. Had a lesson with the pro and a big difference already. Been a bit of a half swinger but a few tweaks has seen an extra 20-30 yards already with the driver.
    Feels much more like a golf swing now so hopefully further improvement with some more, still need to sort the slice!

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Moving to West Lothian so have joined Deer Park. Had a lesson with the pro and a big difference already. Been a bit of a half swinger but a few tweaks has seen an extra 20-30 yards already with the driver.
    Feels much more like a golf swing now so hopefully further improvement with some more, still need to sort the slice!
    How’s the course holding up? Still holding much water? A mate of mine was a member there years ago, I played it with him a couple of times and I remember really liking it. I remember you asking about West Lothian courses a while back.

I’m hoping to get out this week and I’m hoping to play much more this year. It’s good for me and I’ve been missing it. Child number 2 is arriving in August though so opportunities over the coming years may be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    How’s the course holding up? Still holding much water? A mate of mine was a member there years ago, I played it with him a couple of times and I remember really liking it. I remember you asking about West Lothian courses a while back.

I’m hoping to get out this week and I’m hoping to play much more this year. It’s good for me and I’ve been missing it. Child number 2 is arriving in August though so opportunities over the coming years may be limited.

Seems pretty good. Think over the years they have done a lot of work with the drainage and more looks like it’s getting done this year doesn’t seem any worse than any other inland course.

Kids(and starting a business) was the reason I stopped playing for years really enjoying being back playing but many find it tricky due to the time needed.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    It was a stupid thing to do and he deserves all the criticism coming his way. He's an arse.
    Yep - what did he possibly think the reaction would be!

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I played Deer Park a couple of summers ago on a scorching day and loved it.

Returned last year when it was sodden and winter greens and what a difference. I generally can’t be arsed with winter greens in general though. Takes a lot of the fun out when not playing to a proper lush green trying to give yourself chances with the putter.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I played Deer Park a couple of summers ago on a scorching day and loved it.

Returned last year when it was sodden and winter greens and what a difference. I generally can’t be arsed with winter greens in general though. Takes a lot of the fun out when not playing to a proper lush green trying to give yourself chances with the putter.
    Yeah winter greens are grim. Deer Park still had 3 last week and played a few rounds with them all in play thankfully my mate is a member of Dunbar so can get down there on occasion. Hopefully not long until the better weather.

Have relocated from hilly, wet, long parkland in Bolton back to the hallow links at Monifieth #realgolf

This should see me back to single figs in no time!

Jut recovering from five procedures on my right knee and should be back to playing in March

Going to San Fran in October.

Going to play -

Olympic club, San Francisco golf club and Cal Club of SF.

Hoping to then do a couple days in NY and play Shinnecock and Baltusrol.

Excited is an understatement.

Think I’ve got ‘golfer’s thumb’ (form of tendinitis?).

It’s annoying, not quite a strain but similar pain when gripping, swinging and impact (so basically the whole swing 😂).

Often feel it worst after tee-offs, and after playing as well. Mainly the thumb but can feel it extending into the wrist too. Slight bruising appeared on my hand where the thumb joins fingers, but now gone.

Hopefully a few weeks off will let it sort itself out.. but was too tempted yesterday so played with an altered grip - wrapped my thumb over my fingers rather than straighten it down the grip which is when I feel it most.

Got round okay and still enjoyed it, but hope I can get back to a more orthodox grip, pain-free, soon!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Planning on playing a few Opens this coming season.

Already booked Cardross, Lanark and Carnwath and looking at Haddington too. All recommendations welcome

Also got the New & Jubilee booked in the coming weeks for a bit fun
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Played Pumpherston today for the first time. Course was in good condition, impressed

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Planning on playing a few Opens this coming season.

Already booked Cardross, Lanark and Carnwath and looking at Haddington too. All recommendations welcome

Also got the New & Jubilee booked in the coming weeks for a bit fun
    Auchterarder is well worth a visit imo. Not too long but a very good test of golf at the same time. Its next door to the Gleneagles courses and has the same heathland appearance but with sensibly priced green fees. Good clubhouse facilities is an added bonus. I suspect that their Open Tournaments will already be fully subscribed for the forthcoming season so you may have to settle for a casual round of golf.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 28-02-2023 at 09:24 PM.