hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think I’m fortunate to be able to post this tonight. Playing a medal round, I was about to play from the light rough when a player, coming in the opposite direction about 120 yds. away, and in full view of each other, played a shot which clipped my ear and thumped the ground about twenty yards behind me. I nearly sh*t myself. Approaching him, I sarcastically, suggested that a warning call might have been useful, to which he replied, swiftly passing me, ‘aye, sorry.’ Ar**hole!!!!

Sounds like a narrow escape Jim, glad you're ok.

No doubt I'll get more info from you.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Jeezo, playing yesterday, and from nowhere the dreaded shank with a 60 degree wedge appeared four times. Completely ruined the card obviously, as other than that I was playing well
    I’ve no idea how I manage it as I think I have the same set up with the club at all times !

Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    Jeezo, playing yesterday, and from nowhere the dreaded shank with a 60 degree wedge appeared four times. Completely ruined the card obviously, as other than that I was playing well
    I’ve no idea how I manage it as I think I have the same set up with the club at all times !
    Admin :- Close this thread immediately. 😁😳

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeg View Post
    I was playing up at Carrbridge last month. Lovely wee 9 holer. First time round decent enough. Second time round one appeared at the 11th. Proper 100% off the hozzle as my sharpie mark from my ball imprinted beautifully on it. At that moment in time I had 8 balls in my bag. To cut a long story short by the time I was standing on the 18th I had one left. Every iron in the bag on every shot. I could not stop it. A two and a half hour drive down the road contemplating giving it up. I was in the tee at Craigmillar Park the next day at half ten and contemplating not going. Up early and a visit to the range at 8am hitting around 100 balls. Not a single one. Stupid game.
    Last edited by greenlex; 18-08-2022 at 04:58 PM.

Played a local club I'm thinking off joining. First solo round since I started. Shot a 94 so my earlier joy of sub 100 has some foundation! That's my best round to date. I could have scored better but the greens were rapid and I really struggled with the pace.
    The par is 72 so I was +22.

Range tomorrow and Monday. Lesson 5 on Wednesday.

It's coming together.

Is anyone local to Manchester who'd fancy a round?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Admin :- Close this thread immediately. 😁😳
    😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I was playing up at Carrbridge last month. Lovely wee 9 holer. First time round decent enough. Second time round one appeared at the 11th. Proper 100% off the hozzle as my sharpie mark from my ball imprinted beautifully on it. At that moment in time I had 8 balls in my bag. To cut a long story short by the time I was standing on the 18th I had one left. Every iron in the bag on every shot. I could not stop it. A two and a half hour drive down the road contemplating giving it up. I was in the tee at Craigmillar Park the next day at half ten and contemplating not going. Up early and a visit to the range at 8am hitting around 100 balls. Not a single one. Stupid game.
    Puts mine in perspective I suppose

Anyone ever been fitted at Scott gourlay?

Won a competition for £1000 worth of irons so decided to get fitted with Scott first, will they be okay if I tell them I’m not ordering through him though?

And will he give me a print out/email of all the specs etc

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Played my home course, Herons reach Blackpool on Monday. Had my best ever score, 4 birdies, 11 pars and 3 bogies.

1 under par off my 7.5 handicap.

Went down to 6.4, played today and hit 38 points, so still going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Played my home course, Herons reach Blackpool on Monday. Had my best ever score, 4 birdies, 11 pars and 3 bogies.

1 under par off my 7.5 handicap.

Went down to 6.4, played today and hit 38 points, so still going in the right direction.
    Blackpool's not far from Manchester...

...see if you can find my ball off the third tee yesterday?

Won the Gents seniior Open at Harburn yesterday. Home club but I’m buzzin none the less.

Won the Gents seniior Open at Harburn yesterday. Home club but I’m buzzin none the less.
    Well done sir.

Well done sir.

Thank you kind sir.
    The other side of it was Saturdays medal where I was 1 under par on the 12th tee only to bogey 6 of the last 7. Stupid game.

Went out this morning in the pissing rain and got absolutely drenched.

Only person on the course for full 18 except bloke ok 18th when I was on 2nd green.

Shot 93 - which is 23 over. My best score so far. I'm a wee bit gutted cos I had a few shots I could have made to go sub 90 but it's coming along.

Next lesson this week. Definitely has been the best investment I've made.

I been back playing after a 15 year break for about a year now(50yo).

Mostly been playing Carricknowe and probably averaging mid 80’s now. Plan is to join a course next year when we move to West Lothian.

St Michaels at Leuchars next week with a groupon deal.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Spent the weekend on a staycation golf break. Based out of Aviemore we played Boat, Spey Valley, Castle Stuart and Kingussie.

Played most of them in the past but Monday when we played Kingussie I was blown away, what an amazing course. some stunning holes and the views made up for some questionable golf at times.

I’ve been rubbish for about 4 months, numerous NRs , ( see my previous posts about the s word)
    Anyway, played last week in the sweep at Libby, not expecting anything apart from my handicap probably going up again.
    Shot 74 which included 3 double bogeys. Best round of the year by 3 strokes
    What a game golf is

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    Spent the weekend on a staycation golf break. Based out of Aviemore we played Boat, Spey Valley, Castle Stuart and Kingussie.

Played most of them in the past but Monday when we played Kingussie I was blown away, what an amazing course. some stunning holes and the views made up for some questionable golf at times.
    How was the boat? I was up there in July and about half a dozen greens were well and truly boogered. They’d lost them and tried to latch them. They were a mess. Played Kingussie last year. Lovely. If you’re erup that way again I’d recommend Carrbridge. Lovely 9 holer and in excellent condition on my trip.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    How was the boat? I was up there in July and about half a dozen greens were well and truly boogered. They’d lost them and tried to latch them. They were a mess. Played Kingussie last year. Lovely. If you’re erup that way again I’d recommend Carrbridge. Lovely 9 holer and in excellent condition on my trip.
    Boat was in great nick, certainly didn't see any major issues with the greens considering when we were playing. Looks like great work by the greens team to get them sorted!

Thanks will keep that in mind.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I entered the club singles comp this year, i'd reached the quarter final. The cut off date from when this had to be played was the 31st of August,

On the 18th of August, i tried to contact my opponent by phone, no reply but he was obviously on holiday as it was a foreign ring tone. 2 days later i called again, still no reply.

I informed the club that he was not replying to my calls both times. I called him again on the 21st and this time left a message explaining we had until the 31st to get this played.

I did not hear from him, and on the 29th of August i informed the club shop he had still not replied to my calls.

Again on the 31st i informed the shop that despite my efforts to contact my opponent, i had heard nothing back.

On september the 3rd, my opponent text me saying he'd just landed back from his holiday, and could we play the match on the 6th.

I agreed, a tee time was booked by him and i again informed the club of the situation.

On the morning of the 6th, i was told by the club we had both been disqualified, and the reason i was disqualified was i should have arranged the match before he went on holiday.

I would have done this had i knew he was going on holiday, but didnt, and the date clearly says that matches must be played by the 31st of August.

I cant get my head around this decision, it clearly makes no sense to me.

I entered the club singles comp this year, i'd reached the quarter final. The cut off date from when this had to be played was the 31st of August,

On the 18th of August, i tried to contact my opponent by phone, no reply but he was obviously on holiday as it was a foreign ring tone. 2 days later i called again, still no reply.

I informed the club that he was not replying to my calls both times. I called him again on the 21st and this time left a message explaining we had until the 31st to get this played.

I did not hear from him, and on the 29th of August i informed the club shop he had still not replied to my calls.

Again on the 31st i informed the shop that despite my efforts to contact my opponent, i had heard nothing back.

On september the 3rd, my opponent text me saying he'd just landed back from his holiday, and could we play the match on the 6th.

I agreed, a tee time was booked by him and i again informed the club of the situation.

On the morning of the 6th, i was told by the club we had both been disqualified, and the reason i was disqualified was i should have arranged the match before he went on holiday.

I would have done this had i knew he was going on holiday, but didnt, and the date clearly says that matches must be played by the 31st of August.

I’d be kicking up a real fuss. If there was no satisfactory resolution I’d be finding a new club. It’s a social game of golf FFS. I’ll be willing to bet that there’s a vested interest one of you would have been facing involved in that decision.

I’d be kicking up a real fuss. If there was no satisfactory resolution I’d be finding a new club. It’s a social game of golf FFS. I’ll be willing to bet that there’s a vested interest one of you would have been facing involved in that decision.
    I have kicked up a real fuss, but to no avail. I have now gone above the clubs head and got the area manager involved, the club has a hotel attached to it, and if that does not work, i'm taking it to the owner of the whole company.

As you can tell, i have a bee in my bunnet.

I have kicked up a real fuss, but to no avail. I have now gone above the clubs head and got the area manager involved, the club has a hotel attached to it, and if that does not work, i'm taking it to the owner of the whole company.

As you can tell, i have a bee in my bunnet.
    Quite right too.

That's a joke. He should have been disqualified and you should have been either given a bye or a new opponent.

I would write to the Club and outline how often you attempted to call him and them to sort it.

Very poor from them.

Edit: just seen your follow up. Absolute disgrace. I'd tell them I was looking for a new club.

Join mine... not far from Blackpool and you can teach me

Last edited by Just_Jimmy; 16-09-2022 at 01:12 PM.

Shot 88 this morning. Tee'd off at 0714. Not a soul on the course. Par is 70. Course was perfect, sunny morning.

Shot 48 out and 40 in which was 6 over on the back 9.

6 pars, 6 bogies, 6 double bogies. I didn't think about my total score at all playing which I think helped.

That's my best round so far and I didn't put particular well (2, 3 putts) and I feel I left a few shots out there. I had birdie putts on 16, 17 and 18. I also hit 6 greens in regulation.

The lessons have been the best money I've spent on golf. I'm 10 times the player I was. I'm not where near perfect but I'm confident and I'm hitting the ball so well. I'm not a big hitter but I'm hitting it straight and I'm not losing balls right anymore (maybe the odd one still).

I'm loving the game and I just wish I had more people to play rounds with because I learn so much from playing with better players than me and I enjoy the social side.

Handicap has dropped 16 shots since the start of june.

Quite incredible what a bit of confidence does.

That seems grossly unfair. What did the comp rules state? Was the onus on both players to arrange for a suitable date or was it the responsibility of the first named player ?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDoidge View Post
    Handicap has dropped 16 shots since the start of june.

Quite incredible what a bit of confidence does.
    Wow! That must be some kind of record!

Wow! That must be some kind of record!
    Yeah it’s crazy. I only properly started last summer and play 5/6 times a week during summer.

I’ve put the time in and then one round it just seemed to click!

I’ve just checked my emails..

19th may 2022 -

HowDidiDo Handicap Change

Your new WHS Handicap Index is: 36.2

14th September 2022 -

New Handicap Index: 20.7

That seems grossly unfair. What did the comp rules state? Was the onus on both players to arrange for a suitable date or was it the responsibility of the first named player ?
    I just received this reply, i was the first name, although it makes no odds if the opponent is not in the country.

And only yesterday i found out the same people involved allowed an extention to the ladies comp this season.

Gary,

Good evening,

Thank you for your patience, I have been around other hotels in the region this week and needed to speak to the team at Blackpool as to the reasons for what has happened.

I believe that this captain has also been involved in the decision that has been made.

We do unfortunately have to set deadlines for the games that were published back in April/May of when each round/game had to be played.

I can only sincerely apologise that on this occasion it has meant that the game hasn't been played in time, can I check if a conversation took place between the two of you if you could agree that one or the other proceeded to the next round under the circumstances?

We do try and organise as many social competitions as possible but do leave this where we can in the hands of the membership to organise the matches themselves.

I will ensure that Richard does speak to the team to ensure that communication is clearer as it is disappointing to read that you were not informed of the consequences of the game not being played before the end of August.

The last thing we want is a disappointed member. I would therefore as a gesture of goodwill invite you to a complimentary table of four for food at the hotel so that we can look to restore your faith in Village Blackpool.

Regards

Stuart Davies

Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 17-09-2022 at 12:39 PM.