hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Was previously a member at Prestonfield but gave up the game about 6 years ago playing of 14 at the time. The inconsistency was a constant torment, I'd play on the Saturday and have a great round with good ball striking then go out the following day and it was like I'd never played the game before.

But back at it again with a new found passion for the game, played 5 rounds over the last month and trying to change to my thought process and not let one bad shot destroy me for the next 4 holes.

Previously never hit or owned a driver but managed to pick up a titleist 917 D2 from gumtree for £140 and to date played one round with the in law at Burntisland with a mixed bag of success. Just back from kings acre range this morning again with a mixed bag of driving success, but slowly getting the hang of hitting the big stick. Its like a different game to how i played previously I was usually hitting 4i of the tee. Think I'm going to grab a couple of lessons up at K A so I dont revert back to bad swing habits.

Bloody frustrating game but the satisfaction when you hit one out rhe middle makes it all worth while.

Happy golfing lads.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Playing in the league today against St Annes old links, a course i've not played before. I did have a game at Royal Lytham a few weeks ago that they say is a little similar, but it pissed down with rain that day and a more boring course i've yet to find.

It's roasting down here, i'd imagine it will run for miles, if i can keep it straight?

Anyone else not happy with this new handicap system? I played yesterday for our club against St Annes old links, against a guy with a 27 handicap. With the slope rating i was giving him 17 shots. I was 8 down at the turn.

I hit 3 birdies in a row, and managed to get the score a bit more respectable and ended up losing 4 and 3, but this guy was clearly a much better golfer than his handicap, he should have been off at most 16 in my opinion.

I was parring holes on the front 9, that a 27 handicapper should never par, he did and made birdies too.

I've seen bandits before, probably even been one myself in the past, but that was the worst i've seen ever.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else not happy with this new handicap system? I played yesterday for our club against St Annes old links, against a guy with a 27 handicap. With the slope rating i was giving him 17 shots. I was 8 down at the turn.

I hit 3 birdies in a row, and managed to get the score a bit more respectable and ended up losing 4 and 3, but this guy was clearly a much better golfer than his handicap, he should have been off at most 16 in my opinion.

I was parring holes on the front 9, that a 27 handicapper should never par, he did and made birdies too.

I've seen bandits before, probably even been one myself in the past, but that was the worst i've seen ever.
    3 birdies in a row .. I long for the day I can dream of something like that

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Net 67 today with a 9 on my card. Just can't keep a disaster out my game at the moment.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    3 birdies in a row .. I long for the day I can dream of something like that
    That rarely happens, if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Net 67 today with a 9 on my card. Just can't keep a disaster out my game at the moment.
    My brother is like that.

It’s hilarious.

Really good golfer, miles better than me, but you can put your mortgage on his arse collapsing a couple of times a round, sticking in a couple of awful scores to ruin his card.

Smashing the matchplay (so far..) won 7&5 last night for example..

Strokeplay however is really wazzing me off - two bad holes/drives almost a permanent feature of the last 3 months!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IWasThere2016 View Post
    Smashing the matchplay (so far..) won 7&5 last night for example..

Strokeplay however is really wazzing me off - two bad holes/drives almost a permanent feature of the last 3 months!!
    I’m similar. As a high handicapper I do reasonably well in Stableford / Matchplay / Scramble competitions but absolutely no use in stroke play as can guarantee 3-4 scores of 7-8 on the card. Guess that’s why I find myself sitting with a higher handicap as I can’t get the consistency over 18 holes.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    3 gross birdies and a par in the front nine comp yesterday, the rest blobs...Although I hadnt played for a month wasnt expecting that extreme inconsistency...Gonna have to break into my christmas stash of golfballs now as lost so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Rhoades View Post
    I’m similar. As a high handicapper I do reasonably well in Stableford / Matchplay / Scramble competitions but absolutely no use in stroke play as can guarantee 3-4 scores of 7-8 on the card. Guess that’s why I find myself sitting with a higher handicap as I can’t get the consistency over 18 holes.
    This is me in a nutshell (though don’t have a handicap just now). For a few holes in every round you would think I can play the game to a high standard, but a blow-up hole is never far away. Like so many things, it’s the inconsistency that kills.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    This is me in a nutshell (though don’t have a handicap just now). For a few holes in every round you would think I can play the game to a high standard, but a blow-up hole is never far away. Like so many things, it’s the inconsistency that kills.
    I think that's true whatever handicap you play off. I beat my age earlier this year after starting with a triple bogey!if only ......

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    I think that's true whatever handicap you play off. I beat my age earlier this year after starting with a triple bogey!if only ......
    Oh no, I can assure you there was a time where I was completely and consistently sh*te on all 18 holes

Oh no, I can assure you there was a time where I was completely and consistently sh*te on all 18 holes
    Good that you can see improvement 👍

I think we can all agree what we have in common is inconsistency 😡

Was travelling home from up north yesterday, planned to stop off at Tain as I've never played it. Tipping down so had to give it a miss sadly. Stayed in Inverness and decided to try Carrbridge today.

9 hole course quite new, around 40 years old. Greens were superb, fairways springy and lush so never had a bad lie when I managed to play from them. Views to die for. And all for £16 for 9 holes.

Not one of the well known courses in area but well worth a visit.

Good that you can see improvement 👍

I think we can all agree what we have in common is inconsistency 😡
    I definitely have - although I can still play some holes as bad as ever, I’ve also played a handful of holes in the same round with golf I haven’t been capable of previously. I play enough good stuff to keep me wanting to go back which is the main thing.

You’re bang on about consistency - I guess if we could play all holes like our best ones, we’d be on tour.

I do need to learn to play out of sand though. I watched padraig Harrington explaining how he does it so well on sky sports last week.. itching to get out and see if it makes any difference to me!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I think I am hitting the ball as good as I ever have if not as long. Short game competent enough but cannot seem to score consistently. I’ve gone from 12 handicap to 7 and now back up to 9. 7 to 9 in the space of three weeks. Hate this bloody game.

Thinking about going away some midweek in September for a few rounds in fife. Anyone recommend some good and relatively cheap green fees in fife?

Had my first hole in one today, 138 yards par 3,at the village hotel golf course 12th. Lovely 9 iron, 2 bounces and rolled nicely into the hole.

Had my first hole in one today, 138 yards par 3,at the village hotel golf course 12th. Lovely 9 iron, 2 bounces and rolled nicely into the hole.
    Congratulations. But as someone who has never had one I think the achievement is overrated 😉. But happy to change my view after I play again tomorrow

Lovely work BH 👌

Me finding the green on a par 3 is about the equivalent achievement right now!

And in the monthly medal today 63 shots for 16 holes and 2 triple bogey 7s at 2 ordinary par 4s. Somebody please tell me how to cut out the disasters☹

Pumpherston Seniors today. Really good nick……………the course not so much my golf.

Played my first round in probably about 12-13 years at Carricknowe an appalling 115 was scored!

Welcome to the elite club

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I started the year at 11 and have just got worse & worse. No practicing and just playing once a week means this isnt surprising. Saying that it was getting a bit soul destroying & I was thinking I'll knock it on the head again. Played on Tuesday in a 9 hole comp & managed 24 points! So I'll give it another go tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dalianwanda View Post
    I started the year at 11 and have just got worse & worse. No practicing and just playing once a week means this isnt surprising. Saying that it was getting a bit soul destroying & I was thinking I'll knock it on the head again. Played on Tuesday in a 9 hole comp & managed 24 points! So I'll give it another go tomorrow
    The game always finds a way to drag you back. 😁😁

Decent yesterday. Utter pish today.

Played Newbattle today. The greens were excellent.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Played Callander yesterday. Short course but some interesting holes and found the greens tough. Course wasn't in the best nick to be honest. Clubhouse was closed too. Would play it again though.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"