hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jackson Irvine

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hallbergs pretty average imo, didn’t really influence games enough when he got his chance.

I see him as another Slivka
    I agree. He just seems ineffectual.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    If we're going to be playing two games a week up until christmas next season we'll need steady, dependable backup players.

Would keep hallberg for that reason alone, as he can slot into a number of roles in midfield and do a decent enough job, even if he doesn't do anything special much.
    I’d rather we let hallberg go and bring in better to be honest

You can’t just be sticking average players in the team because you’ve played on the Thursday night or your league form will suffer

Coaching Staff

You can’t just be sticking average players in the team because you’ve played on the Thursday night or your league form will suffer
    I think he’s a good player to have. When he comes in we don’t actually suffer, so he can be relied upon.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I think he’s a good player to have. When he comes in we don’t actually suffer, so he can be relied upon.
    Thought he did very well when he replaced Gogic on Sunday who had started having a bit of a mare in the second half.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Thought he did very well when he replaced Gogic on Sunday who had started having a bit of a mare in the second half.
    Considering the man he replaced had run his box off for 83 minutes it's probably to be expected that he looked a bit fresher.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 14-04-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    Id quite like to see a midfield of Hallberg, Newell and Irvine as our 3 to see how they play together. I actually think we looked stronger in midfield when Hallberg was playing regularly.

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike

If we bring in a player of much higher quality on higher wages, are they gonna be happy sitting on the bench for most games and would it be worth stretching the budget for?

Think you're doing him a bit of disservice, don't think there's anything to show that our league form would suffer particularly if he was playing more matches.

Definitely not the most exciting player but has been instrumental in a few of our best performances and results over the last couple of seasons: Aberdeen at home when Ross first took over, and Motherwell and Hamilton away this season

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Stretched that a bit there. Gogic was Hibs best man Sunday IMO. No disrespect to Hallberg but he got about 10 pretty uneventful minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRobot View Post
    Id quite like to see a midfield of Hallberg, Newell and Irvine as our 3 to see how they play together. I actually think we looked stronger in midfield when Hallberg was playing regularly.
    Hallberg’s a funny one.

He clearly has quality and did have a hell of a lot of potential.

When he first signed I thought he looked brilliant and that was playing in a new position. Once he was allowed further forward I was expecting big things.

When he does play I always think he’s very safe and you know he’ll do a job. Always good physically and looks after the ball, I think his best work is the runs he makes beyond the forwards and how he stretches the game.

He done well earlier in the season when we went to a 442.

From a ‘pure football’ viewpoint, I’d love to try a midfield 3 of Newell, Irvine and Allan. Gogic seems to be so crucial to how we play though, really impressed me this season.

Gogic and Irvine are integral to us being much tougher to break down. Newall is also an important cog but just hasn't hit the heights since coming back from injury but he is getting there. 3 very important players.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

We are not going to be able to sign fantastic creative midfielders who are mostly on the bench. Hallberg is dependable if unspectacular and is a known quantity. We could get rid, pay more and get less. I always think he looks solid, has good passing ability and actually runs off the ball really well. Technically good player who is generally told to play a boring role and let others to the flash stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    We are not going to be able to sign fantastic creative midfielders who are mostly on the bench. Hallberg is dependable if unspectacular and is a known quantity. We could get rid, pay more and get less. I always think he looks solid, has good passing ability and actually runs off the ball really well. Technically good player who is generally told to play a boring role and let others to the flash stuff.
    Yup. We won't get a much better player to come off the bench than Hallberg. It's really a case of him being happy with that or not. He is an important part of a strong squad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Yup. We won't get a much better player to come off the bench than Hallberg. It's really a case of him being happy with that or not. He is an important part of a strong squad.
    I go along with this. There’s always talk about players being the first pick etc.etc. In today’s game, there’s room for more than one, often a few players vying for a match day pick. If you’re at a club, which is forward looking, pays reasonable money and you’re content with the way things are run, why wouldn’t you hang around and fight your corner?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    I liked Jackson Irvine at Ross County and in the A League but I am not seeing the same player at HIBS

Hopefully he settles in

As it stands I am meh if he stays or goes at the end of the season as I don’t think he will come cheap

Left by mutual consent!
    Hes been excellent since he signed and absolutely no conscidence that are form and mentality has improved since he came in.

He is a leader on and off the park and is a priority signing for next year. Those types are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    Hes been excellent since he signed and absolutely no conscidence that are form and mentality has improved since he came in.

He is a leader on and off the park and is a priority signing for next year. Those types are hard to find.
    Just watched the full 90 minutes versus The Rangers again he definitely put in a full shift until being hooked and his best game to date

I still do not think he is at full capacity yet maybe with the benefit of a full preseason

I would like to see him more productive with the ball going forward a goal on Sunday would be nice

Irvine is an excellent player and has improved us since he came - quite a lot imo.

It’s actually getting a bit harder to pinpoint where Hibs can improve. Without getting many goals from midfield, we expect a lot of our strikers. If they’re out of form, which both have been for decent chunks of this season, it piles pressure on us, so we need another striker.

When Murphy is fit and in form the left attacking position is sorted, but he rarely is, so we might need something else there.

Whilst the midfield doesn’t always convince, I’m happy with the personnel there and wouldn’t be in a rush to lose anyone. I think we just need to persevere until we get the right blend and give folk a chance to play together to figure out each other’s games. If we get all those European games next season we may well need a big squad to remain competitive on all fronts and our decent peripheral players there (Hallberg, Allan, Magennis) may end up proving invaluable.

I think Porteous’ head is elsewhere and he’ll be off, but I don’t think he’ll be all that irreplaceable as for me he’s turned out a bit Jordon Forster. McGregor will be another year older, so we’ll probably need to bolster the middle of defence.

It’ll then be down to whether or not we manage to hang onto the likes of Doig and Nisbet and whether we can replace them with similar quality if they do leave. Nisbet was very hot at the start of the season, was cold for a while but good again at the weekend so hopefully he’s going to end the season strongly and look more like a player who’d be hard to replace than easy. Doig’s emergence has been a bit of a bonus but he’s a cracking player who would be tricky to replace. Even Boyle might fancy a move and would probably be the hardest of our players to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Irvine is an excellent player and has improved us since he came - quite a lot imo.

It’s actually getting a bit harder to pinpoint where Hibs can improve. Without getting many goals from midfield, we expect a lot of our strikers. If they’re out of form, which both have been for decent chunks of this season, it piles pressure on us, so we need another striker.

When Murphy is fit and in form the left attacking position is sorted, but he rarely is, so we might need something else there.

Whilst the midfield doesn’t always convince, I’m happy with the personnel there and wouldn’t be in a rush to lose anyone. I think we just need to persevere until we get the right blend and give folk a chance to play together to figure out each other’s games. If we get all those European games next season we may well need a big squad to remain competitive on all fronts and our decent peripheral players there (Hallberg, Allan, Magennis) may end up proving invaluable.

I think Porteous’ head is elsewhere and he’ll be off, but I don’t think he’ll be all that irreplaceable as for me he’s turned out a bit Jordon Forster. McGregor will be another year older, so we’ll probably need to bolster the middle of defence.

It’ll then be down to whether or not we manage to hang onto the likes of Doig and Nisbet and whether we can replace them with similar quality if they do leave. Nisbet was very hot at the start of the season, was cold for a while but good again at the weekend so hopefully he’s going to end the season strongly and look more like a player who’d be hard to replace than easy. Doig’s emergence has been a bit of a bonus but he’s a cracking player who would be tricky to replace. Even Boyle might fancy a move and would probably be the hardest of our players to replace.

We may regret offering Murphy a 1 yr deal, he's managed only 17 league games and 5 cup games with just 2 goals, I just can't see him managing any more than this net season.

Boyle has only just signed an extension in August, so can't see him going anywhere.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Fir me, I think Jordon would donate a baw to turn out a bit Ryan Porteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Fir me, I think Jordon would donate a baw to turn out a bit Ryan Porteous.
    Absolutely. The comparison is beyond ridicule.

Porteous is a young guy who continues to progress. He is blessed with all the attributes of a very good centre half.
    When he started he was very good but too aggressive at the wrong times and as a result caused himself nasty injuries. Needed to exercise the muscle between his ears more often. He has come back strong and all but removed the impetuous aspects whilst retaining the aggression.

Has made lots of mistakes this season not concentrating for the whole game, getting under the ball and clearing the ball to dangerous in play positions however, I saw an interview with him and he is aware of this and is working on it and I expect him to improve these aspects of his game as he did with the aggression issue.
    All aspects of his game were good against Rangers on Sunday and if he can bring that to every game next season he will have removed the final impediment to a big move for lots of money. £1 million offer from Milwall wasn't nearly enough cash and from a bollocks team. Another season and £3 million will be the asking price and the suitors will be more appropriate to his ability.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 16-04-2021 at 02:36 PM.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I liked Jackson Irvine at Ross County and in the A League but I am not seeing the same player at HIBS

Hopefully he settles in

As it stands I am meh if he stays or goes at the end of the season as I don’t think he will come cheap

I'm no sure Jackson played in the A League Billy.

If he did I can't remember it.

I know he was on Melbourne books for two years in his youth, but don't think he played for the big team...could be wrong....usually am, and I'm sure somebody will be along soon enough....etc etc..

I agree though, that there is much more to come from him, if he signs for next year that is....
    Last edited by Forza Fred; 17-04-2021 at 04:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Hallbergs pretty average imo, didn’t really influence games enough when he got his chance.

I see him as another Slivka
    I think Hallberg's an upgrade on Slivka - a much more tidy and consistent player. V high passing average and can take set pieces as well. Knows how to defend and makes runs into the box too. He's a good all rounder and I think a bit underrated

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I'm no sure Jackson played in the A League Billy.

If he did I can't remember it.

I know he was on Melbourne books for two years in his youth, but don't think he played for the big team...could be wrong....usually am, and I'm sure somebody will be along soon enough....etc etc..

I agree though, that there is much more to come from him, if he signs for next year that is....

My bad

Talking pish as usual

Cannae be right all the time

Onwards to tomorrow

GGTTH

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

My bad

Talking pish as usual

Cannae be right all the time

Onwards to tomorrow

GGTTH
    I took it you meant playing with the Socceroos...he has had a lot of visibility doing that.