hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Watched Nightmare Alley last night. Lasted about an hour before gave up bored. The wife kept watching, probably because of Bradley Cooper. Noir isn’t really my thing but even allowing for that it was style over substance. Nothing happened.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched Nightmare Alley last night. Lasted about an hour before gave up bored. The wife kept watching, probably because of Bradley Cooper. Noir isn’t really my thing but even allowing for that it was style over substance. Nothing happened.
    I quite enjoyed it. I found Cate Blanchett and Bradley Cooper really watchable in their roles. There might be something missing though. I figured the film had a little less impact because of previous exposure to things like American Horror Story Freak Show but perhaps it is more than that...

Interestingly it is a remake and the original made the Independent list of top 20 films noir. I'd like to see a few films on that list after reading a poster on here claim Suspicion as his top one.

I watched the Maltese Falcon which is decent - unless you like films with a lot less talking!
    Last edited by Wilson; 20-03-2022 at 06:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I quite enjoyed it. I found Cate Blanchett and Bradley Cooper really watchable in their roles. There might be something missing though. I figured the film had a little less impact because of previous exposure to things like Anerican Horror Story Freak Show but perhaps it is more than that...

Interestingly it is a remake and the original made the Independent list of top 20 films noir. I'd like to see a few films on that list after reading a poster on here claim Suspicion as his top one.

I watched the Maltese Falcon which is decent - unless you like films with a lot less talking!
    Maltese falcon is great.

Top 3 noir would be The Third Man, 12 Angry Men and Sunset Boulevard

All amazing films

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Maltese falcon is great.

All amazing films
    I love 12 Angry Men but I’d be struggling to call it a film noir. It doesn’t have that necessary nihilism where there is no redeeming features about anybody. 12 angry men ends on an emotional high with morality all over the place.

I do agree it’s an absolute classic. Actually we were putting some of our old dvds to charity shops yesterday and that one made the cut as a ‘must keep’.

Maltese falcon is great.

All amazing films
    Are any of those films Noir?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Are any of those films Noir?

Agree actually probably not 12 angry. Other 2 are always on the lists of best film noir, along with double indemnity which is also class

Maltese and s Blvd are both on the independents list Wilson mentioned

Agree actually probably not 12 angry. Other 2 are always on the lists of best film noir, along with double indemnity which is also class
    They must have extended the genre out a bit. Great movies, all three but I wouldn't think they had the elements to include them as noir. The Third Man, closest.

Double Endemnity is so great.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    They must have extended the genre out a bit. Great movies, all three but I wouldn't think they had the elements to include them as noir. The Third Man, closest.

Double Endemnity is so great.

Third man is in guardians top 5 noir, sunset b in independents top 3, maybe not an easily defined criteria. Aye a need to watch double indemnity again. Been saying I've wanted to do a third man tour in Vienna for ages, closest I've got was a stop over going to see hibs in Athens ha

Third man is in guardians top 5 noir, sunset b in independents top 3, maybe not an easily defined criteria. Aye a need to watch double indemnity again. Been saying I've wanted to do a third man tour in Vienna for ages, closest I've got was a stop over going to see hibs in Athens ha
    Did a wee but reading last night and noticed that originally Noir was based around detective/crime/femme fetalle stories but was expanded to include tense black and white thrillers.

Watched ‘no country for old men’ for the first time after some glowing reviews from a few friends over the years.

It was good but didn’t rate it quite as highly as some of them did.

7.5/10

Everything everywhere all at once is an absolutely glorious film. Basically about a family's relationships but with added martial arts and comedy, must watch on Amazon prime

Just watched Deep Impact on tv (again).
    Still a great bit of escapism.
    Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman…. “ but the waters receded”

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Just watched Deep Impact on tv (again).
    Still a great bit of escapism.
    Morgan Freeman being Morgan Freeman…. “ but the waters receded”
    One thing I noticed was the Sky TV guide said something along the lines of "Morgan Freeman and Elija Wood are among the survivors of a meteorite strike on earth". 🤣

That'll be the spoiler then

I was dragged to the GFT in Glasgow to watch Triangle of Sadness.

I'm really no expert on what makes a good 'Arthouse' movie, but it had a couple of reasonably amusing moments.

What I would say is... do NOT watch this film if you get queasy easily, especially the scenes on the boat.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Watched Black Adam last night. Not a brilliant film but it was good fun and it entertained me for two hours. I have never read any stories of these characters in the comic books so went into this cold. The plot was a bit obvious but it turned out to be better than I thought it would be.
    Dwayne Johnson was brooding and solemn in the lead role and great at kicking ass as you would expect, his slight comic element encouraged by Amon Tomaz was a weak copy of the relationship between John Connor and the Arnold's T-800 in T2 Judgement Day but was entertaining none the less.
    Adriana Tomaz was well played by Sarah Shahi but at times I was disappointed with her decision making especially when she was under pressure, there is so much more to her character than being a mother. I liked the Justice Society of America, if not just for the name but I grew to like the characters and Aldis Hodge was great as Hawkman. The awkward one way sexual tension between Atom Smasher and Cyclone was funny to watch and I thought Pierce Brosnan was excellent playing the old and tired Dr Fate.
    The baddies, once established, were easy to hate and demonic and the post credit sequence made me giggle given the two characters in it and the possible/probably sequel that foretells. Was interesting to see the Amanda Waller character from Suicide Squad appear in this one and although just a cameo she was as usual excellently played by Viola Davis with all the sinister malevolence of her other appearances.
    All round, an easy to watch action flick with a decent plot, if you go to watch it without expecting too much you'll enjoy it, the film doesn't take itself too seriously and there really isn't a bad performance from any of the actors in it. Better fair than your average Marvel film but the DC franchise has to produce more like this and less Suicide Squad and the studio's cut of Justice League if it wants to get close to its comic book rivals.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    The new Black Panther film is a good way to avoid the weather. Saw it at ocean Terminal yesterday before an evening at a busy Teuchters Landing.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    The new Black Panther film is a good way to avoid the weather. Saw it at ocean Terminal yesterday before an evening at a busy Teuchters Landing.

I believe they call that "damned with faint praise".

Saw Living last week at the Cameo. New Bill Nighy film.

Thoughtful, reflective, touching and amusing. Very much enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Watched Black Adam last night. Not a brilliant film but it was good fun and it entertained me for two hours. I have never read any stories of these characters in the comic books so went into this cold. The plot was a bit obvious but it turned out to be better than I thought it would be.
    Dwayne Johnson was brooding and solemn in the lead role and great at kicking ass as you would expect, his slight comic element encouraged by Amon Tomaz was a weak copy of the relationship between John Connor and the Arnold's T-800 in T2 Judgement Day but was entertaining none the less.
    Adriana Tomaz was well played by Sarah Shahi but at times I was disappointed with her decision making especially when she was under pressure, there is so much more to her character than being a mother. I liked the Justice Society of America, if not just for the name but I grew to like the characters and Aldis Hodge was great as Hawkman. The awkward one way sexual tension between Atom Smasher and Cyclone was funny to watch and I thought Pierce Brosnan was excellent playing the old and tired Dr Fate.
    The baddies, once established, were easy to hate and demonic and the post credit sequence made me giggle given the two characters in it and the possible/probably sequel that foretells. Was interesting to see the Amanda Waller character from Suicide Squad appear in this one and although just a cameo she was as usual excellently played by Viola Davis with all the sinister malevolence of her other appearances.
    All round, an easy to watch action flick with a decent plot, if you go to watch it without expecting too much you'll enjoy it, the film doesn't take itself too seriously and there really isn't a bad performance from any of the actors in it. Better fair than your average Marvel film but the DC franchise has to produce more like this and less Suicide Squad and the studio's cut of Justice League if it wants to get close to its comic book rivals.
    We need to talk...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I just finished watching Bad Times at El Royale.

Wow. I don't really know how to describe this film, but I'll give it a go.

Suspenseful, surprising, Tarantino-esque, Cohen-esque, great acting, heist, theatrical, challenging, creepy, musical, twist-tastic, mysterious, edgy, noir, chaotic.

It's definitely not a popcorn movie but it's not arthouse either.

I enjoyed it and I'm glad I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Suspenseful, surprising, Tarantino-esque, Cohen-esque, great acting, heist, theatrical, challenging, creepy, musical, twist-tastic, mysterious, edgy, noir, chaotic.

Had that one recorded for a while but never got round to watching yet.

And I can believe every bit of your description just going by the synopsis and movie poster 😂

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Had that one recorded for a while but never got round to watching yet.

And I can believe every bit of your description just going by the synopsis and movie poster 😂
    There's a moment in it which made me jump and shout out "woah" in surprise even though I was watching it on my own. I've seen loads of jump scares but this was so well done and unexpected, partly because it's not really that type of film. Actually, there's a second moment like that but not quite as effective.

It wasn't universally well received so it might not get you as it did me, but hurry up and watch it so I can hear what you thought.

Tarantino lite for me. Good cast but pretty forgettable overall

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Tarantino lite for me. Good cast but pretty forgettable overall
    What's the difference between 'esque' and 'lite'?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

What's the difference between 'esque' and 'lite'?
    Tarantino lite = an inferior product, bordering on homage to QT

That would be my personal definition but of course Tarantino himself is massively derivative. Feels like a genre all of his own.

My comment wasn’t intending to dispute your summary, the film is defo Tarantino esque

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Went to the cinema yesterday, think it was the 1st time before Covid
    Went to see “The Menu”, wasn’t what I was expecting. Won’t spoil it for anyone, but I’d recommend it

Just watched Collateral for the first time in a while.

Still a great watch can’t beat Micheal Mann’s visuals.

Don’t think I’ve mentioned it on here before.. but seeing as was on tv again last night..

Young Guns. Up there with some of my favourite westerns ever.

Second is good too but first one proper classic. It’s what got me into the Billy the Kid story years ago.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Watched Father Stu with Mark Wahlberg. Interesting story and quite enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Don’t think I’ve mentioned it on here before.. but seeing as was on tv again last night..

Young Guns. Up there with some of my favourite westerns ever.

Second is good too but first one proper classic. It’s what got me into the Billy the Kid story years ago.

Like them also. Tombstone is my favourite of the modern westerns. val Kilmers performance was epic.