hibs.net Messageboard

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He plays a tailor in that, yea really good film, watched it last year, took me too long to realise he was the BFG. 😁
    He's not a tailor, he's a cutter

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    Paul Giamatti is excellent in Sideways, if you haven't seen that.
    Haven't watched that in years, yes very funny.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    He's not a tailor, he's a cutter
    I learned something there!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    I watched the Beekeeper over the weekend. Very Jason Statham, very OTT, very actioned packed, very violent and very good at what it is. Interesting and talented cast around Statham. Not one for Oscar night but a bloody good and entertaining film that is worth a watch. Some really unintentionally funny lines in it too. Near the start when he meets his landladies daughter, who just happens to be FBI, she goes, " I think I notice a hint of British Isles in your accent". Statham as far as I could tell up to that point was speaking in his usual East London accent goes, "Yeah I was born there". Anyways well worth 2 hours of your time, out on Prime at the moment.
    I really enjoyed it too. Like you say, it's not awards material or memorable, but it's great fun.

Watched a German film yesterday called "Ich bin dein Mensch".

The premise is of a scientist taking part in an experiment with a company that creates Robots programmed to be their 'ideal partner'.

It's both humorous and raises serious moral questions. I quite enjoyed it.

Watched "Luther" at the weekend. Awful

Really enjoyed the series and finally got round to catching the movie but was really disappointed with it

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Raiders of the Lost Ark was movie night choice this Friday. A favourite since childhood, it's just about a perfect movie. Absolutely love it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Raiders of the Lost Ark was movie night choice this Friday. A favourite since childhood, it's just about a perfect movie. Absolutely love it.
    Agree. After re-watching the first four, my takes are Raiders is class, just the benchmark. Temple is a lot poorer than I remember, the 'demonic' scenes when Indy is under the spell are ridiculously long and overblown, takes up way too much of the film. Opening sequence in China and the first half hour absolute genius though. Crusade almost up there with Raiders, the Nazi stuff is hilarious, let down a bit by the love interest, a bit squirmy, and Connery's chemistry with Ford makes the movie great. Crystal Skull, i actually think it was unfairly panned, definitely not up to the previous movies but i thought it was watchable. (my family members disagree!)

@hibs.net private member
    Watched Land of bad last night was alright was a little disappointed as I thought it was going to be a serious war type film but it was the typical action type where baddies can’t shoot and the heroes only need a shot off, worth a watch won’t trouble the Oscar’s

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Agree. After re-watching the first four, my takes are Raiders is class, just the benchmark. Temple is a lot poorer than I remember, the 'demonic' scenes when Indy is under the spell are ridiculously long and overblown, takes up way too much of the film. Opening sequence in China and the first half hour absolute genius though. Crusade almost up there with Raiders, the Nazi stuff is hilarious, let down a bit by the love interest, a bit squirmy, and Connery's chemistry with Ford makes the movie great. Crystal Skull, i actually think it was unfairly panned, definitely not up to the previous movies but i thought it was watchable. (my family members disagree!)
    I find it hard to pick significant faults with any of them, although having re-watched them all over Christmas with my youngest I agree with you re the scenes in Temple of Doom.

I recall being cynical about Crystal Skull, worrying that Ford was too old for that sort of comeback but I enjoyed it. I was REALLY cynical about him coming back last year for Dial of Destiny (and, yet again, with the Nazis) but it's hard not to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by He's here! View Post
    I find it hard to pick significant faults with any of them, although having re-watched them all over Christmas with my youngest I agree with you re the scenes in Temple of Doom.

I recall being cynical about Crystal Skull, worrying that Ford was too old for that sort of comeback but I enjoyed it. I was REALLY cynical about him coming back last year for Dial of Destiny (and, yet again, with the Nazis) but it's hard not to enjoy.

I like all of them, in fact Crusade is one of my favourite films, just love the Connery-Ford interactions and the humour.

Crystal skull is probably the weakest for me, although still enjoyable. It’s let down a bit by a couple of iffy set pieces (like the jungle chase) and the climactic finale, and the cgi isn’t the best.

Indiana Jones for me is one of the great cinema series that can be watched over and over again, immensely enjoyable as a boy growing up and as an adult, and as a parent I,patiently waiting to share them with my daughter

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I like all of them, in fact Crusade is one of my favourite films, just love the Connery-Ford interactions and the humour.

Crystal skull is probably the weakest for me, although still enjoyable. It’s let down a bit by a couple of iffy set pieces (like the jungle chase) and the climactic finale, and the cgi isn’t the best.

Indiana Jones for me is one of the great cinema series that can be watched over and over again, immensely enjoyable as a boy growing up and as an adult, and as a parent I,patiently waiting to share them with my daughter
    It's hard to go wrong with Harrison Ford. Immense screen presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    There's a moment in it which made me jump and shout out "woah" in surprise even though I was watching it on my own. I've seen loads of jump scares but this was so well done and unexpected, partly because it's not really that type of film. Actually, there's a second moment like that but not quite as effective.

It wasn't universally well received so it might not get you as it did me, but hurry up and watch it so I can hear what you thought.
    Finally got round to this tonight and turns out I recorded it on film4 hd which I do not have access to now.

Oh well.. I’ll get round to it on one of the platforms within the next couple of years 😁

I finally watched Killers of the Flower Moon this week. I’d been put off by the running time of nearly three and a half hours but not a single second is wasted. A true masterpiece. If you haven’t seen it yet then put aside some time and prepare to be blown away.
    Last edited by marinello59; 20-03-2024 at 03:03 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Spaceman - what the actual ****????

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Spaceman - what the actual ****????
    I didn't make it to the end. Did he flush him down the toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    I didn't make it to the end. Did he flush him down the toilet?
    That would have been too easy!!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Watched the Bob Marley film last night, enjoyed it.

Didn’t realise he died so young.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Topgun 2 added to Netflix so finally got around to watching it.

I thought it was absolutely crap

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Watched the Bob Marley film last night, enjoyed it.

Didn’t realise he died so young.
    My wife saw it with a couple of friends. They said they struggled to follow a lot of it because they couldn't understand the accents.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire over the weekend. Was ok, not terrible not great, watchable. A good nod to the original in one scene but felt like a, welcome, shift towards trying to stand on its own two feet rather than just for the nostalgic fanboys (like me) of the previous film.

Think they would be the better for not having any of the original lineup in it. Didn’t feel there was a point to forcing Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson & Annie Potts in, nor the ginger bureaucrat guy. Dan Akroyd still adds value as the knowledge of what’s going on though.

Probably been mentioned already though watched " Heat " last night . Al Pacino and Robert De Niro , wish they had made more movies together , both were excellent in this , hard to believe it's nearly 30 years old now .

@hibs.net private member
    Roadhouse, not a patch on the original

@hibs.net private member
    Animal Kingdom, Australian film based on a crime family from Melbourne. Really good film and an exceptional performance from James Frecheville in his debut role.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmas View Post
    Roadhouse, not a patch on the original
    Agree. There’s a reason it’s been released on Prime with no charge…. It’s awful.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Agree. There’s a reason it’s been released on Prime with no charge…. It’s awful.
    I know it’s a shame I really like Jake gylenhaal but that film was a mistake I

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    McGregor's first scene in it gives a clue as to how awful it will become. Trying to remake a cult classic like Roadhouse is a hiding to nothing especially if you're not going to invest in a decent cast. Gyllenhaal was the only good thing about this film and that really only came down to his gym routine. The script was substandard apart from where they stole lines from the original. I have rewatched the original film a good number of times, I will never waste another 2 hours of my life watching this again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Poor things - extrodinarily intriguing and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Strong cast, Emma stone is brilliant.

I struggled at the start as thought if was going to be like some weird Eastern European art house film from the 60's. Glad I persisted

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire over the weekend. Was ok, not terrible not great, watchable. A good nod to the original in one scene but felt like a, welcome, shift towards trying to stand on its own two feet rather than just for the nostalgic fanboys (like me) of the previous film.

Think they would be the better for not having any of the original lineup in it. Didn’t feel there was a point to forcing Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson & Annie Potts in, nor the ginger bureaucrat guy. Dan Akroyd still adds value as the knowledge of what’s going on though.
    Yeh, I think they feel an obligation to the diehard fans to keep rolling out the original team. As you say Aykroyd is the only one who still feels sort of relevant.

Thought the film started well but dragged a bit thereafter. The 'ghost girl' seemed an unnecessary plot device, with Phoebe's story a bit laboured.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Topgun 2 added to Netflix so finally got around to watching it.

I thought it was absolutely crap
    It's just Topgun 1 with wrinkles.