hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe not 10 times more these days, but totally unrealistic to contemplate us affording Griffiths.
    According to stats publicly available on the Internet, he makes 10 times more than most in our current squad.
    "Celtic FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/celtic-fc-player-wages/amp/

"Hibernian FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/hibernian-fc-player-wages/amp/
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 01-04-2021 at 02:02 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    i can’t work out why you’re getting a hard time, you didn’t make the original comment about post count, you just elaborated on why post counts could be discussed in these situations

I’m glad it appears it’s not getting to you
    Thanks for that, it's appreciated.

At least somebody is reading what I actually posted.

Blog Entries
    Maybe yesterday’s Leigh Griffiths thread was a premature April Fool. Sadly, I fear not.

Ps ...... meant to post this in the AF thread.
    Last edited by Jim44; 01-04-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I don't know about this year, but recently Aberdeen's annual turnover has been a few million quid higher than ours and they have a much higher wage bill. It's all in published accounts.
    On a direct comparison, Aberdeen don't really have a much higher (football) wage bill than us. The last pre pandemic accounts (18/19) show Aberdeen 46% higher overall but their numbers of employees are 29% higher. This really comes down to more of their commercial activities being in house, they have 97% more commercial, maintenance & admin staff than we do. Without having a breakdown between players, football management & commercial activities it's impossible to quantify the difference. You would also need to know the balance between salaries paid to senior players & young professionals to gauge whether we are competitive with Aberdeen. My guesstimate is, that on a like for like basis Aberdeen probably pay about 10-20% higher on average to players but it's quite possible that our highest earners, particularly in year in which they were signed, are more competitive with Aberdeen's top earners. That fits with info I was given going into 2018/19 season, where our wage bill increased by nearly 20%. I would hope we could always be competitive with Aberdeen where we really wanted a specific player And yes, I'm aware of Ojo () & McCrorie. It's yet another reason why European football is so important to our club.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    On Aberdeen's finances. Cormack did the long awaited Q&A with their fans yesterday
    Told them they spend £3m more than us on salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    On Aberdeen's finances. Cormack did the long awaited Q&A with their fans yesterday
    Source?

Money well spent!

Is their wage bill higher than Hearts?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    If he's talking about player salaries, how would he know?

If he's talking about overall salaries, he's correct. But then they have a lot more commercial, shop and catering staff than we do.

Playing and coaching staff numbers are much the same. They have twice as many on the commercial etc side.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 01-04-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Just caught up with this thread, 10/10 would read again.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    If he's talking about player salaries, how would he know?

If he's talking about overall salaries, he's correct. But then they have a lot more commercial, shop and catering staff than we do.

Playing and coaching staff numbers are much the same. They have twice as many on the commercial etc side.
    Don’t Ron Gordon and him have a decent relationship? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they knew quite a bit about each club and how they’re run.

I’d also imagine most club owners have a fair idea of what others are paying, we’re competing in the same market in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Don’t Ron Gordon and him have a decent relationship? Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they knew quite a bit about each club and how they’re run.

I’d also imagine most club owners have a fair idea of what others are paying, we’re competing in the same market in a lot of cases.
    I didn't say that he was wrong in what he said.

My problem is in that being interpreted by Dons' fans (and ours) as being "we spend £3m more than Hibs on players' wages".

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You’d have thought that after looking at the league table he’d want to keep quiet about it!

You’d have thought that after looking at the league table he’d want to keep quiet about it!
    😁

Blog Entries

Cormack is under pressure from Sheep fans & is playing with numbers to try & keep them on side. He is correct that in 2018/19 their wage bill was just under £3m higher than ours. CWG is 100% correct, of course 😀, when he points out that their admin & commercial staff are double the size of ours. (69 versus 35) We have no idea of the cost of those staff but we can say with 100% certainty that Aberdeen's player wage bill is not £3m higher than ours.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I'd like us to sign Lee, but I'd like to see the deal first before I could say if it was worth it or not.
    You mean Checking the bag of sweeties ? :)
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    According to stats publicly available on the Internet, he makes 10 times more than most in our current squad.
    "Celtic FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/celtic-fc-player-wages/amp/

"Hibernian FC 2020-21 Player Wages - Football League FC" https://footballleaguefc.com/hibernian-fc-player-wages/amp/
    Jaw just dropped.

So that appears to be pretty all-encompassing. That said viewing this with a critical mindset, there’s nothing that credits the author/source. Why is that?

Does anyone know of any other industry that would publish such extensive information? I can’t think of anything similar maybe the BBC did publish the salaries of their top earning talent - did Sky who were
    Asking for it also do the same? Hmmm.

Im remaining healthily sceptical for now.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    Jaw just dropped.

So that appears to be pretty all-encompassing. That said viewing this with a critical mindset, there’s nothing that credits the author/source. Why is that?

Does anyone know of any other industry that would publish such extensive information? I can’t think of anything similar maybe the BBC did publish the salaries of their top earning talent - did Sky who were

As ever in these things, most of that is guesswork, hearsay and perhaps a tiny bit of insider knowledge.

Jaw just dropped.

Most of it won't be fully accurate

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I didn't say that he was wrong in what he said.

My problem is in that being interpreted by Dons' fans (and ours) as being "we spend £3m more than Hibs on players' wages".
    That's a fair point, and I agree fwiw.

Cormack was making this point to illustrate vthat they had underperformed, and also as his rationale for binning McInnes.

That's a fair point, and I agree fwiw.

Cormack was making this point to illustrate vthat they had underperformed, and also as his rationale for binning McInnes.
    In which case, fair play to him 😉

Testimonial Due
    Jaw just dropped.

The site is run by fans. But their main source is player wages to turnover ratio. You know the turnover so you can back out what the total wage bill for the players are.

You load all the squad into a spreadsheet and calculate the average wage. Then you adjust player by player what you think their actual wages are. The overall total remains the same but the other players are adjusted to keep the same total. You go through the process for each player. Some of it will be educated guesswork but some based on some inside info. Clearly, not 100% accurate but a reasonable estimate.

The site is run by fans. But their main source is player wages to turnover ratio. You know the turnover so you can back out what the total wage bill for the players are.

You load all the squad into a spreadsheet and calculate the average wage. Then you adjust player by player what you think their actual wages are. The overall total remains the same but the other players are adjusted to keep the same total. You go through the process for each player. Some of it will be educated guesswork but some based on some inside info. Clearly, not 100% accurate but a reasonable estimate.
    They would need to know that, though. I'm not sure what clubs publish that. Hibs don't.

I wouldn’t be surprised if LG moves to us in the summer.

We will expect to sell Nisbet and deals can be done various ways not just weekly wages.

He would be back home and have a real chance to reset his career again. With Gullen getting good reviews a d game time, we would be sorted for next season given Boyle can play forward and we already have Doidge.

Fingers crossed.

Blog Entries

That's not possible unfortunately. The wages to turnover ratio (certainly for Hibs) includes all staff costs. The calculations on that website are really no more knowledgeable than what you'll find on here.

Could someone fix the thread title, please? It's doing my nut.

Richard Gordon on sportsound suggesting he might have some inside info that LG could be going to Aberdeen. Chic Young says he wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up back at Easter road.

IF we are interested and assuming Nisbet is being sold then I would like to think we would be his choice. Just don’t know if he is a player Jack Ross would want including the risk that goes with him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Could someone fix the thread title, please? It's doing my nut.
    Same here 😂 👍

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    I think hibs are living rent free in cormacks mind..love it

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    My understanding of this was totally wrong then, I thought he had a year left but it’s only an option which Celtc haven’t taken yet.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...mmer-aberdeen/

A free transfer to us or Aberdeen seems more likely than I thought it was before.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07-04-2021 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My understanding of this was totally wrong then, I thought he had a year left but it’s only an option which Celtc haven’t taken yet.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...mmer-aberdeen/

A free transfer to us or Aberdeen seems more likely than I thought it was before.
    News to me as well.

If that's the case Leigh will be dumped by Celtic.
    It's the only sensible decision.
    £19k a week for next to no return makes no sense.
    Alternative is that they radically change his contract but I suspect they are bored to death with his lack of professionalism.

So Aberdeen or Hibs for no more than £5k a week beckons.
    The gravy train has hit the buffers.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 07-04-2021 at 10:15 PM.