hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So an example from 40 years ago then

Don't think anyone in their right mind will sign a pay per play deal. Heavily incentivised maybe but thats a different thing.
    Turn up to training 5 days a week, club shaft you on the Saturday and you get paid nothing 😂

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Turn up to training 5 days a week, club shaft you on the Saturday and you get paid nothing 😂
    Kevin Thomson done it

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Turn up to training 5 days a week, club shaft you on the Saturday and you get paid nothing ��
    What is meant by a pay as you play deal?

Under a pay as you play deal the player will be contracted to the club for a certain amount of time under a standard FA Premier League contract. The only difference to the make-up of that player’s contract than other players in the team is that player will be paid when he makes an appearance for the club.

Often the player will be on a very low base salary and has the option of increasing that by working hard and making appearances on the pitch.

Is this a desirable position for a player?

In many cases this is a desirable position for a player to enter into as it may enable him to get a contract at the same club or another club when due to his age or injury problems he would not otherwise have been able to. If the player believes that he does have the fitness to play regularly then he will believe that he will be able to play enough to still be paid enough.

In most cases this will apply to players who are entering the twilight of their career and so it can be assumed that they have earned enough during their high profile career to be able to justify being on a pay as you play deal.

From here; https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/pay-as-you-play/

Owen Hargreaves was on a pay per game deal at Manchester United.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Exactly. Doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    Kevin Thomson done it
    No he didn't. He played for no money at all because he needed to get fit and play, and Hibs told him they couldn't afford him but wanted to sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    And Charnley, but they were just at Hibs. There will have been other similar arrangements elsewhere. Kevin Thomson played for nothing too.

I don't know why you're so determined to prove this wrong, but even a contract with a small retainer but much larger appearance payments is, in essence, the same thing.

It would only apply to players under certain circumstances although smaller basic wages with very large win bonuses are more common.

Having said that, if Hibs wanted to sign Leigh Griffiths, there's no way they'd offer anything other than a proper contact so it's an academic discussion.
    I'm not determined to prove it wrong. I think its just a bit of a myth, certainly never heard of genuine recent examples. Griffiths would get a contract in line with the rest of the squad as you say, same as all others we sign. No player, regardless of injury, is going to shaft themselves like that. A leg break away from homelessness.

No chance he was at United. They signed him for big money from Bayern. Maybe City but that was after months of posting videos online to prove his fitness, being a free agent etc.

Don't see many details of the deal online.

Pages of discussion on pay as you play deals when there is absolutely zero chance Griffiths would even consider it.

He'd arguably be Hibs best player. He's not going to take that kind of contract when literally every other player in the squad, majority of which are nowhere near his standard, wouldnt have such conditions placed on them.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 23-04-2021 at 08:14 AM.

He wasn't.

Exactly. Doesn't happen.

No he didn't. He played for no money at all because he needed to get fit and play, and Hibs told him they couldn't afford him but wanted to sign him.

I'm not determined to prove it wrong. I think its just a bit of a myth, certainly never heard of genuine recent examples. Griffiths would get a contract in line with the rest of the squad as you say, same as all others we sign. No player, regardless of injury, is going to shaft themselves like that. A leg break away from homelessness.
    You've obviously not read the article I posted above yet.

Secondly, the details of players contracts are not usually detailed on the back pages of newspapers unless they're sensationalising some eye watering salary, but this is about Hargreaves.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...-play-deal/amp

Pay as you play deals are not common, but they are used from time to time.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 23-04-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Pages of discussion on pay as you play deals when there is absolutely zero chance Griffiths would even consider it.

He'd arguably be Hibs best player. He's not going to take that kind of contract when literally every other player in the squad, majority of which are nowhere near his standard, wouldnt have such conditions placed on them.
    Pages of quite normal discussion about something because there is zero happening with Griffiths till the season is over anyway. Whats wrong with that?

You've obviously not read the article I posted above yet.

Secondly, the details of players contracts are not usually detailed on the back pages of newspapers unless they're sensationalising some eye watering salary, but this is about Hargreaves.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.exp...-play-deal/amp
    Well he left that summer so he definitely wasn't on that deal. Other reports saying he didn't even get offered a deal.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    A leg break away from homelessness.
    Especially now that we know his financial circumstances

Well he left that summer so he definitely wasn't on that deal. Other reports saying he didn't even get offered a deal.
    Yes, but the point is that they are an option which, for some reason, you seem adamant to deny.

I know they exist. You think they don't. 90+2 can be happy now because that's the pages of discussion over!

Yes, but the point is that they are an option which, for some reason, you seem adamant to deny.

I know they exist. You think they don't. 90+2 can be happy now because that's the pages of discussion over!
    Of course they are an option. So is 20 quid and a fish supper every week. No professional is accepting either. Although I probably would

You just went from him being on that deal, to it being an option. But surely him refusing it and joining a rival proves that they are just not a reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    LG is not well off. Unless he can’t get a gig elsewhere he won’t be coming to us for 4k a week. Btw I’d also make sure it was a pay as you play deal.
    I would imagine there would still be a lot of interest in Sparky if he was released and even allowing for his feelings towards Hibs, nobody in their right mind in his position would sign for a club who didn't have the confidence in him to give him a proper contract.

George Best's situation was entirely different, he was one of the best known players in the world, even then, he took over the front page of the London evening newspapers when he signed for Hibs and it was a big deal on the national evening news programmes & he was paid £2,000 a game and been offered contracts by English top league clubs. The reason he gave for joining Hibs was to get himself fit [and no doubt he earned well while he was doing it].
    Last edited by Ray_; 23-04-2021 at 08:55 AM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I wouldn’t want us to offer a pay as you play deal to anyone. It’s all a bit ****my. There’s a risk to any transfer and it’s saying “we think we’ve done our research but we want to transfer any risk to you and if you get injured or can’t play then we’re not paying your bills”.

When I worked in sales a lot of opportunities came up that would be pitched as a commission only basis. I’d rather work at my local fast food restaurant for minimum wage than someone who doesn’t think my base time is worth a penny to them. Any footballer worth their salt would think the same.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Of course they are an option. So is 20 quid and a fish supper every week. No professional is accepting either. Although I probably would

You just went from him being on that deal, to it being an option. But surely him refusing it and joining a rival proves that they are just not a reality.
    Sigh. Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I wouldn’t want us to offer a pay as you play deal to anyone. It’s all a bit ****my. There’s a risk to any transfer and it’s saying “we think we’ve done our research but we want to transfer any risk to you and if you get injured or can’t play then we’re not paying your bills”.

When I worked in sales a lot of opportunities came up that would be pitched as a commission only basis. I’d rather work at my local fast food restaurant for minimum wage than someone who doesn’t think my base time is worth a penny to them. Any footballer worth their salt would think the same.
    Correct

Pay per game is just the same as zero hour contracts. Anyone going to insist that these don't exist?

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Now trying to remember who Charnley had the bust up with. I'm sure folk round about me started booing him afterwards.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Now trying to remember who Charnley had the bust up with. I'm sure folk round about me started booing him afterwards.
    Brian Mcglaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    Pay per game is just the same as zero hour contracts. Anyone going to insist that these don't exist?
    Is isn't the same. With a pay per play, you could work (train) all week and if you don't get picked on Saturday, you get nothing. Zero hour contracts are awful, but you do actually get paid for your work, even if its just an hour.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Brian Mcglaughlin
    Assume you meant Joe McLaughlan. And I think you're right.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    Assume you meant Joe McLaughlan. And I think you're right.
    That’s the one.

I noticed Celtic have managed to off load Klimala to NY Red Bulls and Celtic are expected to recoup the £3.5m fee they paid for him.
    He has scored 3 goals in 24 appearances for Celtic. I'm not sure how many minutes he got?
    His last goal for Celtic came in the 4th October 2020.

"20 quid and a fish supper". Made me chuckle 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by 04Sauzee View Post
    I noticed Celtic have managed to off load Klimala to NY Red Bulls and Celtic are expected to recoup the £3.5m fee they paid for him.
    He has scored 3 goals in 24 appearances for Celtic. I'm not sure how many minutes he got?
    His last goal for Celtic came in the 4th October 2020.
    When I looked recently Klimala was the only first team player who had played less minutes of league football for Celtic than Leigh Griffiths.
    As for getting their money back I suspect the deal has been cut by NYRB with lots of clauses and Celtics return will be heavily dependent on Klimala doing well plus a sell on cut otherwise they could be looking at a big fat loss.
    They have obviously positively spun the story but the truth is Klimala failed big time and they have cut their losses and this deal ditches his big salary.

They now have a week to decide whether to take up the year option on Leighs contract at an eye watering £19k a week (circa).
    No chance they will take that up but might subsequently start negotiating at about £9k a week which is double what Hibs would be offering.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 23-04-2021 at 12:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    A leg break away from homelessness.
    Yet when we were discussing Doig’s future recently and that was pointed out to you, you rubbished the idea saying injuries like that don’t happen these days.

Can’t have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    Yet when we were discussing Doig’s future recently and that was pointed out to you, you rubbished the idea saying injuries like that don’t happen these days.

Can’t have it both ways.
    Right, so you have a 1 year, pay as you play deal. You break your leg in pre season and earn nothing for 8 months or so. Doesn't need to be a career ending injury, just a bad one and its a huge problem for the player.

Josh breaks his leg this summer. Comes back after 8 months, and gets back to a similar level, and we get a good fee. He still gets paid for the entireity of his contract.

Can you see how those two things are completely different? I'm not trying to have it both ways. I'm talking about 2 completely different scenarios. I never said the player on the pay per play deal wouldn't play again. He just wouldn't earn any money for months. I did not rubbish the idea, I just said its not a something I'd account for. I didn't say broken legs didn't happen.