hibs.net Messageboard

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That depends what he is paying out. Being well of is actually what you have left in cash and assets isn’t it?
    Yeh it hardly needs explaining, and anyone who’s paid attention over the past 10 years can guess which players have saved for their future post football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I doubt it would be against the law but it would be nuts to agree to that. No agent would allow it for one......
    I don’t disagree but players have indeed signed pay as you play deals. Small base salary large bonus incentive. Hibs would be crazy to pay LG 5k plus when his fitness over the last few years has been questioned.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    Yeh it hardly needs explaining, and anyone who’s paid attention over the past 10 years can guess which players have saved for their future post football.
    He has a lot of child support to fork out for and a gambling problem. Plus he has to fund himself and his families for another 40 plus years. Money will be the driving factor of any decision he makes. He will take a contract extension on reduced wages at Celtic. Failing that it will be Hibs or Aberdeen with Hibs the likely winner as the difference in wages will be small and he would prefer to be close to his home and immediate family. Even if the manager is not in place I think Celtic will offer him a new deal given his goal scoring ability at home and in Europe.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I doubt it would be against the law but it would be nuts to agree to that. No agent would allow it for one......
    I think George Best and Chic Charnley were here on pay as you play deals.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

What’s anyone seen to suggest Griffiths has no money? A rumour a while ago that he had a gambling problem?

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    He has a lot of child support to fork out for and a gambling problem. Plus he has to fund himself and his families for another 40 plus years. Money will be the driving factor of any decision he makes. He will take a contract extension on reduced wages at Celtic. Failing that it will be Hibs or Aberdeen with Hibs the likely winner as the difference in wages will be small and he would prefer to be close to his home and immediate family. Even if the manager is not in place I think Celtic will offer him a new deal given his goal scoring ability at home and in Europe.
    If they are going to offer him a contract extension on reduced wages then they might be as well waiting until they've got a new manager in place to see if he wants him or not. They could say here are the terms of the deal, the contract offer is on the proviso that the new manager wants you. Of course there would be the risk that he'd sign up with another team in the meantime but that risk would be there to an extent anyway because the reduced wages offer means they're not taking up the extra year option.

Plus from Leigh's point of view, you'd think he'd want to know who his manager is going to be and have a chat about how he sees him fitting into his plans.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    What’s anyone seen to suggest Griffiths has no money? A rumour a while ago that he had a gambling problem?
    They don’t actually know anything about his finances.

Making stuff up about someone’s finances and posting them online as if they’re fact when you don’t actually have a clue is poor form really.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 22-04-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    If they are going to offer him a contract extension on reduced wages then they might be as well waiting until they've got a new manager in place to see if he wants him or not. They could say here are the terms of the deal, the contract offer is on the proviso that the new manager wants you. Of course there would be the risk that he'd sign up with another team in the meantime but that risk would be there to an extent anyway because the reduced wages offer means they're not taking up the extra year option.

Plus from Leigh's point of view, you'd think he'd want to know who his manager is going to be and have a chat about how he sees him fitting into his plans.
    They will have to take up the extension by a certain date. They won’t be able to offer to take it up while saying “by the way we might not”.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Without checking, doesn’t he have a fairly poor scoring record in Europe? Fairly sure that’s a big part of the discontent from Celtic fans around him.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    They will have to take up the extension by a certain date. They won’t be able to offer to take it up while saying “by the way we might not”.
    I wasn't meaning they'll take up the 1 year option. I was replying to FilipinoHibs's comment about a contract on reduced wages. They'd be saying we're not taking up the 1 year option however we're prepared to offer you a contract with reduced wages. They could offer him a contract like that whenever they want.

I don’t disagree but players have indeed signed pay as you play deals. Small base salary large bonus incentive. Hibs would be crazy to pay LG 5k plus when his fitness over the last few years has been questioned.
    that's not a pay as you play deal. That's just a contract. Imo there's no way you could have a player training (so working) all week, then not play them and they get nothing. No player with self respect takes that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I think George Best and Chic Charnley were here on pay as you play deals.
    Any proof of this? Can't see it being true. Maybe big incentives for playing and performance but definitely not zero basic salary.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Without checking, doesn’t he have a fairly poor scoring record in Europe? Fairly sure that’s a big part of the discontent from Celtic fans around him.
    He’s scored 15 in 53. Nothing to write home about but not a horrendous record, especially when he always seemed to play second fiddle in Europe to Dembele and now Edouard.. at least I feel like they always seemed to be the strikers that started in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    that's not a pay as you play deal. That's just a contract. Imo there's no way you could have a player training (so working) all week, then not play them and they get nothing. No player with self respect takes that contract.

Any proof of this? Can't see it being true. Maybe big incentives for playing and performance but definitely not zero basic salary.
    I don’t think anyone will have ever had the contract you described in the first part of your post which truly would be a pay as you play deal.

Some players will have had contracts that have been so heavily weighted in terms of whether they play or not that to all intents and purposes they’ll be ‘pay as you play’ though I’d think.

So far as the Georgie boy is concerned, it was widely reported at the time he was on a pay as you play deal of £2000 per game when he was here. Not sure what proof you’re looking for but that was what was spoken about at the time. Jon Stark in the Scoop magazine was also on a similar deal.

I haven't got proof but that's my memory of how things were at the time.

Chic Charnley had a shocking disciplinary record and, when we signed him, he was one booking away from a lengthy ban. I'm sure he was signed on the basis that he'd get paid if he played. He managed a long run of booking-free games but was eventually scuppered when he was cautioned for fighting/arguing with another Hibs player.

Best, I'm fairly sure, was paid per game and from Tom Hart's own money.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He’s scored 15 in 53. Nothing to write home about but not a horrendous record, especially when he always seemed to play second fiddle in Europe to Dembele and now Edouard.. at least I feel like they always seemed to be the strikers that started in Europe?
    How many of those in the first couple of qualifiers against Red Imps and the likes though? Again I’m too lazy to check but Celtic have been rotten in group stages so can’t see many coming against decent sides.

Not a slight on LG either, just picking reasons why I don’t think Celtic will take up a contract extension, and why he may well end up in Leith.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    How many of those in the first couple of qualifiers against Red Imps and the likes though? Again I’m too lazy to check but Celtic have been rotten in group stages so can’t see many coming against decent sides.

Not a slight on LG either, just picking reasons why I don’t think Celtic will take up a contract extension, and why he may well end up in Leith.
    1 in the Champions League
    10in Champions League qualifying
    3 in the Europa League
    1 in Europa League qualifying

You’re right, not the greatest in the tournament proper.

I don’t think anyone will have ever had the contract you described in the first part of your post which truly would be a pay as you play deal.

Some players will have had contracts that have been so heavily weighted in terms of whether they play or not that to all intents and purposes they’ll be ‘pay as you play’ though I’d think.
    Correct which I hopefully explained in the further post. Plenty’s footballer have deals like these.

They don’t actually know anything about his finances.

Making stuff up about someone’s finances and posting them online as if they’re fact when you don’t actually have a clue is poor form really.
    He will have my full support when he signs for Hibs. Anything else would really be poor form.

Chic Charnley had a shocking disciplinary record and, when we signed him, he was one booking away from a lengthy ban. I'm sure he was signed on the basis that he'd get paid if he played. He managed a long run of booking-free games but was eventually scuppered when he was cautioned for fighting/arguing with another Hibs player.

My recollection is £1000 per game and £500 per goal. If he never turned up he never got paid.

May be wrong but that is how I remember it.

Just read this:
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...9-1980-1488690

Says £2000 pay per play and a signing fee to Fulham.
    Last edited by SanFranHibs; 22-04-2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Add link

Quote Originally Posted by GreyJammies View Post
    Firm agree with this post

Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    How do so many people on here know so much about his life and what goes through his head?

Or, is everything I read on here a pure guess?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    1 in the Champions League
    10in Champions League qualifying
    3 in the Europa League
    1 in Europa League qualifying

You’re right, not the greatest in the tournament proper.
    How many did he come on when chasing the game in the last 15 mins no time at all to make an impacts so if the team have been having a nightmare. Seem to remember a few instances thinking - why leave it sooooo late to out him on? League games too he must have been tearing his hair out esp when he scores late late on.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

Copy of contract and at least three pay slips are the proof required here

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    [QUOTE=HoboHarry;6535648]I doubt it would be against the law but it would be nuts to agree to that. No agent would allow it for one......[/QUOTE]

A lot of players don't use agents any more, I know of a few Hibs players who negotiate their own contracts with the club.

So an example from 40 years ago then

Don't think anyone in their right mind will sign a pay per play deal. Heavily incentivised maybe but thats a different thing.

Griffiths is nowhere near at the stage of his career were his only option would be a pay as play deal.

He'll get decent offers.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Copy of contract and at least three pay slips are the proof required here
    😁

So an example from 40 years ago then

Don't think anyone in their right mind will sign a pay per play deal. Heavily incentivised maybe but thats a different thing.
    And Charnley, but they were just at Hibs. There will have been other similar arrangements elsewhere. Kevin Thomson played for nothing too.

I don't know why you're so determined to prove this wrong, but even a contract with a small retainer but much larger appearance payments is, in essence, the same thing.

It would only apply to players under certain circumstances although smaller basic wages with very large win bonuses are more common.

Having said that, if Hibs wanted to sign Leigh Griffiths, there's no way they'd offer anything other than a proper contact so it's an academic discussion.