hibs.net Messageboard

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never realised he is the top scorer in Scottish Premiership history.
    That 'history' is only back to 2013 though. According to Wiki he has another 31 league goals (all at Hibs) from the SPL era, so 121 total, but he's still some way off Boyd and Larsson: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotti...PL_goalscorers

Then of course you can go back pre-SPL (1998) etc. Not really sure these top scorer stats mean much when it's so fragmented (beyond the obvious that he has an excellent scoring record in our league).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Bryce View Post
    There is ZERO chance of Griffiths back at Hibs sadly.

This is from one of his mates.
    I think most of us have realised that from the outset. Ok, Celtic and particularly their fans, have a love/hate relationship with Griffiths, but, weighing up the pros and cons, he is good value to them at a much reduced wage. Griffiths is not a daft laddie altogether and a contract with Celtic at, say, £10k a week, is an offer he couldn’t refuse. Griffiths only problem will be if Celtic dig their heels in and decide that he’s got away with his unprofessional attitude for long enough cut their losses.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    He’s unlikely to be short of options though, is he .....
    I would expect him to have offers, yes, but I'd be extremely surprised if those options matched his current deal, which is about to expire. Hence why the post I was responding to doesn't really make sense, unless Leigh was prepared to retire rather than accept a reduced salary, which seems unlikely.

None of that means he's about to sign for us of course.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    I'd sign Griffiths AND Lafferty. They'd hate each other but score 35+ between them.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I think most of us have realised that from the outset. Ok, Celtic and particularly their fans, have a love/hate relationship with Griffiths, but, weighing up the pros and cons, he is good value to them at a much reduced wage. Griffiths is not a daft laddie altogether and a contract with Celtic at, say, £10k a week, is an offer he couldn’t refuse. Griffiths only problem will be if Celtic dig their heels in and decide that he’s got away with his unprofessional attitude for long enough cut their losses.
    Has he not bean at Celtic for getting on for 10 years?

Evan at the reduced wage of £10k/week, thats still £520,000 a year. If we assume that this would be his basic rate (I think we could assume that he will be on closer to £20,000 on his current deal), thats £5 million.

He might think "I've made my money, now I want to play for my team until my playing days end".

Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    I'd sign Griffiths AND Lafferty. They'd hate each other but score 35+ between them.
    They'd run in opposite directions to celebrate. That would be interesting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

Evan at the reduced wage of £10k/week, thats still £520,000 a year. If we assume that this would be his basic rate (I think we could assume that he will be on closer to £20,000 on his current deal), thats £5 million.

He might think "I've made my money, now I want to play for my team until my playing days end".
    I’ve no idea of his domestic commitments and it’s nobody’s business, but I would hazard a guess that they are substantially high and ongoing for the foreseeable future. He’s also got 50 years of life ahead of him. I can’t see Griffiths opting for sentimental over financial considerations.

Unless he spent it all.....

Are you not just repeating what we’re trying to say?
    Clarifying, I think some were getting confused re extension and a new contract.

I’ve no idea of his domestic commitments and it’s nobody’s business, but I would hazard a guess that they are substantially high and ongoing for the foreseeable future. He’s also got 50 years of life ahead of him. I can’t see Griffiths opting for sentimental over financial considerations.
    Nor do I, but my point is that if he has been reasonably sensible (probably wishful thinking on my part), then he might think leaving Celtic where he has been undervalued in the last 2/3 years and going to Hibs were he'd go straight to number 1 might be a good way to end his career.

He would have paid a small fortune in tax off that 5 million.

He's obviously very well off compared to your average man in the street but depending on how he has managed his finances he might not be in a position yet that feels he can easily give up £5,000 or £6,000 a week for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    You know something we don’t?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    You know something we don’t?
    No, he's a hyper-smiley bot.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    😬

Blog Entries
    Nor do I, but my point is that if he has been reasonably sensible (probably wishful thinking on my part), then he might think leaving Celtic where he has been undervalued in the last 2/3 years and going to Hibs were he'd go straight to number 1 might be a good way to end his career.
    Well you never know, stranger things happen. By the way the mass clear out has started at Parkhead with the sale of Klimala to New York Red Bulls for a reported £3.5m, making a small profit on their outlay. The report says that it’s a massive overhaul with players in all positions coming and going. It’ll be interesting to see where Griffiths fits into this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

He would have paid a small fortune in tax off that 5 million.

He's obviously very well off compared to your average man in the street but depending on how he has managed his finances he might not be in a position yet that feels he can easily give up £5,000 or £6,000 a week for the next few years.
    Of course he has, but that £5m is based on the idea of £10k a week, which I suspect is probably very conservative.

I'm just saying never say never, especially football is concerned. The Celtic clearout has begun and I get the feeling a new manager, whoever it may be, will want a fresh front line if Edouard leaves - he will net them £25m easily and that will go back in to the team.

And a quick glance at Kerrydale Street would suggest he has lost the support of the majority of lesser greens.
    Last edited by Jones28; 22-04-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Mibbe so but hes not going to Aberdeen.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    If he does leave Celtc, its not to Aberdeen

Of course he has, but that £5m is based on the idea of £10k a week, which I suspect is probably very conservative.

I'm just saying never say never, especially football is concerned. The Celtic clearout has begun and I get the feeling a new manager, whoever it may be, will want a fresh front line if Edouard leaves - he will net them £25m easily and that will go back in to the team.

And a quick glance at Kerrydale Street would suggest he has lost the support of the majority of lesser greens.
    LG is not well off. Unless he can’t get a gig elsewhere he won’t be coming to us for 4k a week. Btw I’d also make sure it was a pay as you play deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    LG is not well off. Unless he can’t get a gig elsewhere he won’t be coming to us for 4k a week. Btw I’d also make sure it was a pay as you play deal.
    If he's not well off he definitely won't sign a pay as you play deal.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    You seem to know a lot about Griffiths’ finances?

If you’re close enough to him to actually know I’d be surprised if he was happy with you telling people about them.

Has anyone ever actually signed a pay as you play deal? I think they are an absolute myth. Maybe one guy years ago but surely its against the law?

You'd have to define what you term as well off to give that post context.

He's someone who's probably earned around a million pound a year in salary and bonuses for the past 5 years or so. In most people's books that's well off.

There’s more chance of Celtic releasing Leigh, than there is of them offering him a new contract. He’s barely kicked a ball for them for two years, next year is huge and there’s very little chance they’re taking a punt on him playing far more then.

So to that end, he won’t really have many options, more money but hundreds of miles from his family and children again, or less money but sticking around.

I know where my money would go regarding his future.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    There’s more chance of Celtic releasing Leigh, than there is of them offering him a new contract. He’s barely kicked a ball for them for two years, next year is huge and there’s very little chance they’re taking a punt on him playing far more then.

So to that end, he won’t really have many options, more money but hundreds of miles from his family and children again, or less money but sticking around.

I know where my money would go regarding his future.
    He's scored 14 goals in 39 league appearances the last 2 seasons, a fair proportion of which are from the bench.

That's a steady enough return of goals so I don't think you can say he's hardly kicked a ball.

Coaching Staff
    You'd have to define what you term as well off to give that post context.

He's someone who's probably earned around a million pound a year in salary and bonuses for the past 5 years or so. In most people's books that's well off.
    That depends what he is paying out. Being well of is actually what you have left in cash and assets isn’t it?

He's scored 14 goals in 39 league appearances the last 2 seasons, a fair proportion of which are from the bench.

That's a steady enough return of goals so I don't think you can say he's hardly kicked a ball.
    He’s played the equivalent of 36 full games in 3 years. Whether he scored some goals in that time, Celtic will be wanting far more value for their money. There is no doubt he scores goals, but can he be fit enough to get on the pitch for 30+ games next season? That will have a massive doubt in Celtic’s mind considering what’s went on previously.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Has anyone ever actually signed a pay as you play deal? I think they are an absolute myth. Maybe one guy years ago but surely its against the law?
    I doubt it would be against the law but it would be nuts to agree to that. No agent would allow it for one......