hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d be interested to hear some of these countless examples, preferably backed up with evidence that a positive increase in season tickets was solely attributable to their signing.
    Why would it need to be soley attributable? People pay to watch football matches for all sorts of reasons. Watching talented players score goals and help their teams to win would surely be among them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fezziwig View Post
    Why would it need to be soley attributable? People pay to watch football matches for all sorts of reasons. Watching talented players score goals and help their teams to win would surely be among them.
    Of course and I agree which is why it’s nearly always impossible to say that a teams increase in season ticket sales is due to them signing a specific player. Correlation does not imply causation.
    Last edited by CapitalGreen; 20-04-2021 at 05:22 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    If you're only talking about Hibs then possibly but there's countless examples of marquee signings increasing ST sales all over the football world. In our case both the signing of George Best and the return of Joe Baker would have triggered major increases in ST sales in today's world.
    I posted information about Best's season at Hibs and the attendance numbers aren't very impressive at all.

The only marquee signing that I can think of is Maradona who increased Napoli's average crowd by over 50%. I think that's right anyway.

If Hibs signed Ronaldo or Messi we might see a similar effect, but I can't think of anyone remotely affordable who would shift STs.

Certainly not Leigh Griffiths.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I posted information about Best's season at Hibs and the attendance numbers aren't very impressive at all.

The only marquee signing that I can think of is Maradona who increased Napoli's average crowd by over 50%. I think that's right anyway.

If Hibs signed Ronaldo or Messi we might see a similar effect, but I can't think of anyone remotely affordable who would shift STs.

Derek Riordan’s return bumped attendances, no?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Hibbyradge;6532727]I posted information about Best's season at Hibs and the attendance numbers aren't very impressive at all.

The crowd for George's ER debut (vs Partick) was nearly 4 times the crowd for our prior home league game. Our next 2 home games were against the uglies so hard to make comparisons but our next home game, vs Morton when George was 'unavailable' saw the crowd back to 5k. The next week about 17k turned up to see George against Ayr in the Cup but George was lying pi**ed in the NB. After that we hardly won a game, were relegated and we never knew when George would play so understandably crowds were very poor.
    Joe Baker's return against Aberdeen was even more remarkable with over 23k turning up for that game compared to 7k in our prior game. That was a bigger crowd than our home games against our lesser neighbours and The Rangers that season. I have absolutely no doubt that in today's environment Joe's signing would have resulted in a significant increase in ST sales.
    We've also been spoiled by our crowds, & the season ticket culture, in recent years. At the peak of The Tornadoes wondrous 72/73 season & 1 week after we won our 1st cup in 70 years, just over 12k turned up for our next home game vs Ayr. We sell that amount of ST's now.
    Last edited by brog; 20-04-2021 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Derek Riordan’s return bumped attendances, no?
    Nope.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Hibbyradge;6532727]I posted information about Best's season at Hibs and the attendance numbers aren't very impressive at all.

Off the top of my head the obvious one is Figo to Real M. IIRC he was the 1st of the Galacticos & he was specifically signed because Real had only sold out 1 game in the prior season. After Figo's signing they had to introduce a wait list. More recently & much more prosaically I remember Villa saying they expected to sell 5k more season tickets after signing John Terry!!

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Was his first game back not against Hamilton away, where he came on and scored after about a minute of coming on?
    That was his first goal of his second spell, first start, his second game and it was an absolute peach. He made his second debut the week before at ER, came off the bench and played Fletcher through for a late-ish winner
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Nope.
    Leigh Griffiths probably won’t bump attendance figures but it may just tempt a few more to renew STs in a year I expect a fall back, Hibs won’t be alone. Anything that helps keeping the habit of going to games must be a good thing, not just for next season but going forward. I think signing LG may just help a bit with that. 🇳🇬

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    What’s the opinions on here ?
    1:Do you want Leigh back
    2:Will he come back
    3:Will selik take up the option
    4:Will aederdeen do it again
    5:Would he make a difference to our current squad would he help season ticket sales

Me personally

1:Hell yeah
    2:I actually am 70-30 in favour of he will
    3:No
    4:Nope (plus Leigh wouldn’t) (I hope)
    5:I’m drooling thinking of Scotty playing 1 on his near impossible balls through to Leigh to smash home
    I also think in a massive season of uncertainty I believe a lot of fans would renew because of his signing

GG2TH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    5:Would he make a difference to our current squad would he help season ticket sales
    1. Yes but wouldn’t be broken hearted if not.
    2. 60% chance to us 40% chance to Aberdeen
    3. Probably not.
    4. Despite throwing up a smokescreen of ‘not interested’, I think they will be in for him when the time comes.
    5. If fit and motivated, very much yes.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    1 - Absolutely yes
    2 - I think he will
    3 - no
    4 - they’ll try but I think he’ll come home
    5 - he’d improve us a considerable amount from where we are now. I’d also fancy that whilst our ST may not shoot up off his signing, I would think there’ll be a good chance it’ll be the nudge to anybody who’s swithering to renew of which I’d suspect there’ll be a lot.

Me personally

1:Hell yeah
    2:I actually am 70-30 in favour of he will
    3:No
    4:Nope (plus Leigh wouldn’t) (I hope)
    5:I’m drooling thinking of Scotty playing 1 on his near impossible balls through to Leigh to smash home
    I also think in a massive season of uncertainty I believe a lot of fans would renew because of his signing

GG2TH
    I'm a straight Mibbe for all it them!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member

GG2TH
    1. Yes
    2. Likely
    3. No
    4. I think distance and the fact we are the team he supports will mean they won't
    5. He would improve the squad but I don't think it would shift many more STs. Perhaps a few that just need a little push

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    1:I don't know, quite honestly
    2:I don't think we'll go for him
    3:Yes
    4:I think they'd splash the cash on him as a statement to their fans
    5:Not a huge difference to our squad (Doidge and Nisbet are both excellent strikers) and any difference to ST sales would be negligible - the reason people are considering not renewing is largely financial as opposed to dissatisfaction with what is on the pitch.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Love Sparky to bits but I do not think he has looked at it this season

He will need to seriously raise his game if he comes to us 😃

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar

Total rubbish ,, See Brogs post above ,, Sparky signing for us would definitely increase our season ticket sales .

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Total rubbish ,, See Brogs post above ,, Sparky signing for us would definitely increase our season ticket sales .
    But by how much? 500 extra would pay his wages for one season but nobody how many he would add. It would not be guaranteed for second season. The big question is how he would perform. I do think for lots of reasons that many have given here that would be a big risk.
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 21-04-2021 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    But by how much? 500 extra would pay his wages for one season. No guarantee it would be guaranteed for second season. The big question is how he would perform. I do think for lots of reasons that many have given here that would be a big risk.
    It would be no bigger a risk than it was paying a fee for Nesbit who hadn't yet proved himself at Premiership level and I don't imagine bringing in Nisbet increased season ticket sales to the value of 1 year's wages.

[QUOTE=brog;6532800]

The crowd for George's ER debut (vs Partick) was nearly 4 times the crowd for our prior home league game. Our next 2 home games were against the uglies so hard to make comparisons but our next home game, vs Morton when George was 'unavailable' saw the crowd back to 5k. The next week about 17k turned up to see George against Ayr in the Cup but George was lying pi**ed in the NB. After that we hardly won a game, were relegated and we never knew when George would play so understandably crowds were very poor.
    Joe Baker's return against Aberdeen was even more remarkable with over 23k turning up for that game compared to 7k in our prior game. That was a bigger crowd than our home games against our lesser neighbours and The Rangers that season. I have absolutely no doubt that in today's environment Joe's signing would have resulted in a significant increase in ST sales.
    We've also been spoiled by our crowds, & the season ticket culture, in recent years. At the peak of The Tornadoes wondrous 72/73 season & 1 week after we won our 1st cup in 70 years, just over 12k turned up for our next home game vs Ayr. We sell that amount of ST's now.
    Guard of honour and 8-1.

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It would be no bigger a risk than it was paying a fee for Nesbit who hadn't yet proved himself at Premiership level and I don't imagine bringing in Nisbet increased season ticket sales to the value of 1 year's wages.
    The risk with Nisbet was standard and held higher chance of a big payoff (which we've already been offered). The risk with Leigh is more and the only payoff is whatever he done for us, no sell on.

First Team Breakthrough
    If there are any signings that we could make that are entirely risk-free I would like to hear about them.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Nisbet was/is on the way up, not so much for Leigh. Massive difference.

I'd be amazed if Leigh signing sold more than a few dozen season tickets, if that. The product on the field is not the main concern this time around.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    If there are any signings that we could make that are entirely risk-free I would like to hear about them.
    You think the standard risk is the same as increased risk. Its not. Every signing has a risk. Higher paid ones higher risks. Griffiths higher still.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    me ! I’ll play for free and I don’t think there’s any question that all my performances would be consistently honking ! Hibs would know exactly what they would be getting, for no outlay at all !

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Nisbet was/is on the way up, not so much for Leigh. Massive difference.

I'd be amazed if Leigh signing sold more than a few dozen season tickets, if that. The product on the field is not the main concern this time around.
    Agreed. I can’t imagine anyone thinking ‘oh, we’ve signed Leigh, I’ll go buy a ST now’ if they weren’t planning on getting one anyway.

I also don’t have the same concern as others that somehow ST sales will be down this year. I’d expect us to sell roughly the same or slightly more.

Quote Originally Posted by worcesterhibby View Post
    me ! I’ll play for free and I don’t think there’s any question that all my performances would be consistently honking ! Hibs would know exactly what they would be getting, for no outlay at all !
    Me anaw - maybe they would let us train against the admins so we could boot lumps oot of them

1. Yes
    2. Probably
    3. No
    4. No
    5. Yes and N/A

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    That was his first goal of his second spell, first start, his second game and it was an absolute peach. He made his second debut the week before at ER, came off the bench and played Fletcher through for a late-ish winner
    Riordan came off the bench that day at Hamilton. Scored almost right away. It was a peach indeed.