hibs.net Messageboard

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The last I knew he stayed in Wallyford
    Has his own pad through that way now, want to say something like Uddingston but can’t remember exactly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Has his own pad through that way now, want to say something like Uddingston but can’t remember exactly.

I know Leigh is a home bunny and missed his kids terribly when he was down at Wolves, hence why I think he'll want to stay up here and not go south again.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    A few people have suggested that there would be a big increase in Season Ticket sales, but I very much doubt that many non ST holders would be all that excited by Leigh Griffiths signing again.

Even if there were a few extras bought, it would mostly be by people who attend the majority, if not all, the games anyway and there's no increased revenue from that.

I do think we should try but and financial benefit would come from success on the park, not ticket sales.
    Possibly not an increase but it could certainly help with damage limitation.

As it is starting to look like we’ll not be back in in full start of next season either I’ve got to say I’m now on the cusp of toiling to justify renewing if we won’t be there again.

Something like signing LG could be the difference when it comes to going for it or not. I’d imagine a lot of others will also be having to make decisions like mine. Signing LG could push a lot of folk in the right direction.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Took this from the Kerrydale Street page with over 230+ pages
    This guy has a wee bit off a brain.
    But reading it it kinda makes me think that Leigh is playing a great game of “I’m a Hibs supporter get me out of here”
    Bring him home RON please

I read a twitter thread the other day regarding recruitment at Hearts. Don't remember the ins and outs but the main point was that for years players of a certain age and calibre (30+, rapidly declining) at every level have been able to demand big money from clubs as their careers begin to wind down.

The argument was that if scouting is carried out correctly - you can usually get a young player to perform at a similar or better level than the 'veteran' player, for far less money (since they don't have the experience). The argument in the case of Hearts is that they're currently paying Craig Gordon, Naismith, GMS, Berra etc £3k-£4k+ per week in the second tier and are not getting good outputs from any of them, except maybe Gordon.

With Griffiths arguably in the same bracket with us as those players are with Hearts, are we really saying we can't, for £18k p/w or less, find a young, hungry player, who can contribute at the very least what Griffiths has recently? Considering Kilmala has probably been of more use to us in his time here than Griffiths has, and that is saying something. I'm not saying we're going to find the striking equivalent of Wanyama at bargain basement prices, as that's been a failed policy of ours for years. But you'll definitely find someone at this price point who's able to at least match the output of Griffiths of late; which is the point being made in the original tweet regarding the Hearts players.

Leigh has talent but his lack of professionalism and work eithic, possibly compounded by other issues, have meant we haven't seen it in a long time and it doesn't look to be coming back with him now on the wrong side of 30. Time to move on and as others have said before me, let him become someone else's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    But reading it it kinda makes me think that Leigh is playing a great game of “I’m a Hibs supporter get me out of here”

I read a twitter thread the other day regarding recruitment at Hearts. Don't remember the ins and outs but the main point was that for years players of a certain age and calibre (30+, rapidly declining) at every level have been able to demand big money from clubs as their careers begin to wind down.

The argument was that if scouting is carried out correctly - you can usually get a young player to perform at a similar or better level than the 'veteran' player, for far less money (since they don't have the experience). The argument in the case of Hearts is that they're currently paying Craig Gordon, Naismith, GMS, Berra etc £3k-£4k+ per week in the second tier and are not getting good outputs from any of them, except maybe Gordon.

With Griffiths arguably in the same bracket with us as those players are with Hearts, are we really saying we can't, for £18k p/w or less, find a young, hungry player, who can contribute at the very least what Griffiths has recently? Considering Kilmala has probably been of more use to us in his time here than Griffiths has, and that is saying something. I'm not saying we're going to find the striking equivalent of Wanyama at bargain basement prices, as that's been a failed policy of ours for years. But you'll definitely find someone at this price point who's able to at least match the output of Griffiths of late; which is the point being made in the original tweet regarding the Hearts players.

Leigh has talent but his lack of professionalism and work eithic, possibly compounded by other issues, have meant we haven't seen it in a long time and it doesn't look to be coming back with him now on the wrong side of 30. Time to move on and as others have said before me, let him become someone else's problem.
    lhe has been frozen out most off the season when he should have been starting !! If he’d played most games he would have 30 odd goals bye now IMO , I can’t understand how some folk think he’s finished?? Sombody else’s problem? Lmfao, Scotland’s best striker just now by a mile plz give us this problem Ron 👌👍

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    lhe has been frozen out most off the season when he should have been starting !! If he’d played most games he would have 30 odd goals bye now IMO , I can’t understand how some folk think he’s finished?? Sombody else’s problem? Lmfao, Scotland’s best striker just now by a mile plz give us this problem Ron 👌👍
    Exactly
    We’ll take that problem
    GG2TH

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

As it is starting to look like we’ll not be back in in full start of next season either I’ve got to say I’m now on the cusp of toiling to justify renewing if we won’t be there again.

Something like signing LG could be the difference when it comes to going for it or not. I’d imagine a lot of others will also be having to make decisions like mine. Signing LG could push a lot of folk in the right direction.
    On balance, I'd like him to sign, but I won't be gutted if we don't. He'll be 31 by the time the season starts and he's done nothing recently to suggest he'd be a huge asset. I know he's not been given much of a chance, but it's still the case.

Rather than chuck loads to money at him, I'd far prefer we tried to keep Nesbit for another couple of years, but even that wouldn't generate new season ticket sales.

I'm considering getting one this year but LG signing wouldn't push me either way. However, qualification for a European group stage and/or winning the Cup probably would.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-04-2021 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    I love these sorts of posts. 👍

Wishful thinking and hypotheses presented as definite fact.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post

Whilst interesting, that whole article, whilst mainly being about older players output, fails to address the fact that when they actually decide to use him Leigh Griffiths had the best goals per minute in Scotland.

When he gets on the pitch, which he’s been available to do most of the season but Celtic don’t bother using him, he delivers.

Slightly more goals per minute than Edouard and miles more than Morelos.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    On balance, I'd like him to sign, but I won't be gutted if we don't. He'll be 31 by the time the season starts and he's done nothing recently to suggest he'd be a huge asset. I know he's not been given much of a chance, but it's still the case.

Rather than chuck loads to money at him, I'd far prefer we tried to keep Nesbit for another couple of years, but even that wouldn't generate new season ticket sales.

I'm considering getting one this year but LG signing wouldn't push me either way. However, qualification for a European group stage and/or winning the Cup probably would.
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.
    I disagree.

Unfortunately, for one reason or another, we'll never know for sure.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Well, one of them has 73 goals in the last 3 seasons, while the other has 24 so I'd go with the guy on 73, Kevin Nisbet.

I’ll disagree.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Having read half a dozen pages of the Leigh thread on Kerrydale St, the recurring theme is ; Leigh GTF.

Most are saying he is unprofessional, unfit, overweight and lacking commitment to anything but his own shoddy lifestyle. A few cite extenuating factors associated with his mental health issues, but they are roundly dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I’ll disagree.
    Nisbet is playing like a player that wants out to me.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Well, one of them has 73 goals in the last 3 seasons, while the other has 24 so I'd go with the guy on 73, Kevin Nisbet.
    Nearly half of those goals were in League One. The majority of the rest were in the Championship.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    Nisbet is playing like a player that wants out to me.
    I wouldn't go that far but we seem to be desperate to hammer Leigh for a lack of professionalism but not fussed at what happened with Nibset after the move to Birmingham didn't happen. Looks like us and the player have moved on but it does leave me with questions about how much he wants to be here.

Nearly half of those goals were in League One. The majority of the rest were in the Championship.
    I mean, Griffiths got 24 in 3 seasons in the top flight, Kevin got 16 in one reason so far.

I'll take the guy who played 118 games, vs the guy who played 72 games.

Kevin is the young, hungrier, better option. Fired us to 3rd and we should be keeping him.

@hibs.net private member
    I mean, Griffiths got 24 in 3 seasons in the top flight, Kevin got 16 in one reason so far.

Kevin is the young, hungrier, better option. Fired us to 3rd and we should be keeping him.
    What if he wants to leave? That certainly seemed the case a couple months ago. He might be hungry but again, not sure yet if that hunger is to stay at Hibs.

I suspect he'll go in the summer, regardless of Leigh being available. And it won't be Hibs desperate to sell him.

What if he wants to leave? That certainly seemed the case a couple months ago. He might be hungry but again, not sure yet if that hunger is to stay at Hibs.

I suspect he'll go in the summer, regardless of Leigh being available. And it won't be Hibs desperate to sell him.
    Wanting to go to Birmingham isn't the same as forcing his way out of hibs. He seems quite happy here.

@hibs.net private member
    Wanting to go to Birmingham isn't the same as forcing his way out of hibs. He seems quite happy here.
    Time will tell. For the record I want keep him and do rate him as a player but as I've said above, I think he'll be away by the start of next season. And that wont be because we were pushing him out the door.

Griffiths has been backup striker to a £20m rated player and used as a scapegoat by a manager who was shown up to be an absolute disaster. Despite that, he’s still managed to offer more goals than any other player in the league when he’s been on the pitch. He’s also been available for the vast majority of games this season. Again, his disaster of a manager didn’t use him. He hasn’t played so few games because he’s never fit etc, he hasn’t played many games because his face didn’t fit with the manager he’s played under for the last 2 years.

On the presumption we’d be signing him to be playing him and not treating as he has been the past two years at Celtic, the evidence of LG on a football pitch would suggest he’d still score a barrel load.

Time will tell. For the record I want keep him and do rate him as a player but as I've said above, I think he'll be away by the start of next season. And that wont be because we were pushing him out the door.
    Thats fine. We should aim to replace him with another younger player we can sell in 2 years for good cash. Thats how we build up.

Griffiths has been backup striker to a £20m rated player and used as a scapegoat by a manager who was shown up to be an absolute disaster. Despite that, he’s still managed to offer more goals than any other player in the league when he’s been on the pitch. He’s also been available for the vast majority of games this season. Again, his disaster of a manager didn’t use him. He hasn’t played so few games because he’s never fit etc, he hasn’t played many games because his face didn’t fit with the manager he’s played under for the last 2 years.

On the presumption we’d be signing him to be playing him and not treating as he has been the past two years at Celtic, the evidence of LG on a football pitch would suggest he’d still score a barrel load.
    Could we get a similar quality player, with less risk involved? I'd say we could. We have before.

Blog Entries

That's where I'm at. A difference of 1k season tickets is about £200/250k to the club. Personally & regretfully I think we'll also have transfer fee income from Nisbet and/or Porto to play with. Leigh signing would be ideal compensation, hopefully backed up by us signing some other young talent.

Thats fine. We should aim to replace him with another younger player we can sell in 2 years for good cash. Thats how we build up.

Could we get a similar quality player, with less risk involved? I'd say we could. We have before.
    What is the risk with Griffiths? He had an injury at the start of the season but hasn’t had one since.

He’s apparently unfit yet he’s tucking goals away at a rate better than anyone else in the league when he’s on the pitch.

Could we get better? Imo no, we couldn’t. A player who has scored the goals he has over his career, is still scoring at a very good rate and is available to play most weeks. He’s better than any other striker we could get imo.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    That's where I'm at. A difference of 1k season tickets is about £200/250k to the club. Personally & regretfully I think we'll also have transfer fee income from Nisbet and/or Porto to play with. Leigh signing would be ideal compensation, hopefully backed up by us signing some other young talent.
    I think this is a bit of a myth. I don't know of a signing that has ever on its own shifted season tickets. Good results, good football, yes, and a good signing is part of that but I think there will be a limited few who go running out to buy a ticket on the back of a particular signing.

Most tickets are sold a long way before the business end of transfer windows anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    What is the risk with Griffiths? He had an injury at the start of the season but hasn’t had one since.

He’s apparently unfit yet he’s tucking goals away at a rate better than anyone else in the league when he’s on the pitch.

Could we get better? Imo no, we couldn’t. A player who has scored the goals he has over his career, is still scoring at a very good rate and is available to play most weeks. He’s better than any other striker we could get imo.
    The risk is he isn’t fit or focussed. Such as he was at the start of this season ....

Has to be considered ..much more about his mindset than his physical fitness

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The risk is he isn’t fit or focussed. Such as he was at the start of this season ....

Has to be considered ..much more about his mindset than his physical fitness
    For someone that isn’t fit or focussed he’s still been performing very well when he gets game time. If his fitness or focus is in question because of NL throwing him under the bus, I’m not sure how much credence I’d give to that really. His performances don’t seem to back up the idea that he has fitness or focus issues. If he did, he wouldn’t have a better strike rate per minute than every other player in the league. As much as he’s an exceptional player, he’s not good enough to be able to do that unfit and unfocused imo.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    No one in their right mind can deny that signing Griffiths comes with risk. He has managed c 100 games in the past 5 seasons, for whatever reason. It’s not just about his relationship withLennon, which no one on here really knows about. Yes, he has a good scoring/minutes ratio ( obviously playing for a team like Celtic helps this, compared to opportunities at one like Hibs).

Celtic fans seem to think he’s unfit and has a lifestyle that is less than professional. That troubles me.