hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 939
  1. #601
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The last I knew he stayed in Wallyford
    Has his own pad through that way now, want to say something like Uddingston but canít remember exactly.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #602
    @hibs.net private member J-C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    63
    Posts
    24,333
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has his own pad through that way now, want to say something like Uddingston but canít remember exactly.

    I know Leigh is a home bunny and missed his kids terribly when he was down at Wolves, hence why I think he'll want to stay up here and not go south again.

  4. #603
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A few people have suggested that there would be a big increase in Season Ticket sales, but I very much doubt that many non ST holders would be all that excited by Leigh Griffiths signing again.

    Even if there were a few extras bought, it would mostly be by people who attend the majority, if not all, the games anyway and there's no increased revenue from that.

    I do think we should try but and financial benefit would come from success on the park, not ticket sales.
    Possibly not an increase but it could certainly help with damage limitation.

    As it is starting to look like weíll not be back in in full start of next season either Iíve got to say Iím now on the cusp of toiling to justify renewing if we wonít be there again.

    Something like signing LG could be the difference when it comes to going for it or not. Iíd imagine a lot of others will also be having to make decisions like mine. Signing LG could push a lot of folk in the right direction.

  5. #604
    First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    208
    Took this from the Kerrydale Street page with over 230+ pages
    This guy has a wee bit off a brain.
    But reading it it kinda makes me think that Leigh is playing a great game of ďIím a Hibs supporter get me out of hereĒ
    Bring him home RON please


    I read a twitter thread the other day regarding recruitment at Hearts. Don't remember the ins and outs but the main point was that for years players of a certain age and calibre (30+, rapidly declining) at every level have been able to demand big money from clubs as their careers begin to wind down.

    The argument was that if scouting is carried out correctly - you can usually get a young player to perform at a similar or better level than the 'veteran' player, for far less money (since they don't have the experience). The argument in the case of Hearts is that they're currently paying Craig Gordon, Naismith, GMS, Berra etc £3k-£4k+ per week in the second tier and are not getting good outputs from any of them, except maybe Gordon.

    With Griffiths arguably in the same bracket with us as those players are with Hearts, are we really saying we can't, for £18k p/w or less, find a young, hungry player, who can contribute at the very least what Griffiths has recently? Considering Kilmala has probably been of more use to us in his time here than Griffiths has, and that is saying something. I'm not saying we're going to find the striking equivalent of Wanyama at bargain basement prices, as that's been a failed policy of ours for years. But you'll definitely find someone at this price point who's able to at least match the output of Griffiths of late; which is the point being made in the original tweet regarding the Hearts players.

    Leigh has talent but his lack of professionalism and work eithic, possibly compounded by other issues, have meant we haven't seen it in a long time and it doesn't look to be coming back with him now on the wrong side of 30. Time to move on and as others have said before me, let him become someone else's problem.

  6. #605
    Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Took this from the Kerrydale Street page with over 230+ pages
    This guy has a wee bit off a brain.
    But reading it it kinda makes me think that Leigh is playing a great game of ďIím a Hibs supporter get me out of hereĒ
    Bring him home RON please


    I read a twitter thread the other day regarding recruitment at Hearts. Don't remember the ins and outs but the main point was that for years players of a certain age and calibre (30+, rapidly declining) at every level have been able to demand big money from clubs as their careers begin to wind down.

    The argument was that if scouting is carried out correctly - you can usually get a young player to perform at a similar or better level than the 'veteran' player, for far less money (since they don't have the experience). The argument in the case of Hearts is that they're currently paying Craig Gordon, Naismith, GMS, Berra etc £3k-£4k+ per week in the second tier and are not getting good outputs from any of them, except maybe Gordon.

    With Griffiths arguably in the same bracket with us as those players are with Hearts, are we really saying we can't, for £18k p/w or less, find a young, hungry player, who can contribute at the very least what Griffiths has recently? Considering Kilmala has probably been of more use to us in his time here than Griffiths has, and that is saying something. I'm not saying we're going to find the striking equivalent of Wanyama at bargain basement prices, as that's been a failed policy of ours for years. But you'll definitely find someone at this price point who's able to at least match the output of Griffiths of late; which is the point being made in the original tweet regarding the Hearts players.

    Leigh has talent but his lack of professionalism and work eithic, possibly compounded by other issues, have meant we haven't seen it in a long time and it doesn't look to be coming back with him now on the wrong side of 30. Time to move on and as others have said before me, let him become someone else's problem.
    lhe has been frozen out most off the season when he should have been starting !! If heíd played most games he would have 30 odd goals bye now IMO , I canít understand how some folk think heís finished?? Sombody elseís problem? Lmfao, Scotlandís best striker just now by a mile plz give us this problem Ron 👌👍

  7. #606
    First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lhe has been frozen out most off the season when he should have been starting !! If heíd played most games he would have 30 odd goals bye now IMO , I canít understand how some folk think heís finished?? Sombody elseís problem? Lmfao, Scotlandís best striker just now by a mile plz give us this problem Ron 👌👍
    Exactly
    Weíll take that problem
    GG2TH

  8. #607
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,771
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly not an increase but it could certainly help with damage limitation.

    As it is starting to look like weíll not be back in in full start of next season either Iíve got to say Iím now on the cusp of toiling to justify renewing if we wonít be there again.

    Something like signing LG could be the difference when it comes to going for it or not. Iíd imagine a lot of others will also be having to make decisions like mine. Signing LG could push a lot of folk in the right direction.
    On balance, I'd like him to sign, but I won't be gutted if we don't. He'll be 31 by the time the season starts and he's done nothing recently to suggest he'd be a huge asset. I know he's not been given much of a chance, but it's still the case.

    Rather than chuck loads to money at him, I'd far prefer we tried to keep Nesbit for another couple of years, but even that wouldn't generate new season ticket sales.

    I'm considering getting one this year but LG signing wouldn't push me either way. However, qualification for a European group stage and/or winning the Cup probably would.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 20-04-2021 at 08:00 AM.

  9. #608
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,771
    Quote Originally Posted by shetlandhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lhe has been frozen out most off the season when he should have been starting !! If heíd played most games he would have 30 odd goals bye now IMO , I canít understand how some folk think heís finished?? Sombody elseís problem? Lmfao, Scotlandís best striker just now by a mile plz give us this problem Ron 👌👍
    I love these sorts of posts. 👍

    Wishful thinking and hypotheses presented as definite fact.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  10. #609
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Took this from the Kerrydale Street page with over 230+ pages
    This guy has a wee bit off a brain.
    But reading it it kinda makes me think that Leigh is playing a great game of ďIím a Hibs supporter get me out of hereĒ
    Bring him home RON please


    I read a twitter thread the other day regarding recruitment at Hearts. Don't remember the ins and outs but the main point was that for years players of a certain age and calibre (30+, rapidly declining) at every level have been able to demand big money from clubs as their careers begin to wind down.

    The argument was that if scouting is carried out correctly - you can usually get a young player to perform at a similar or better level than the 'veteran' player, for far less money (since they don't have the experience). The argument in the case of Hearts is that they're currently paying Craig Gordon, Naismith, GMS, Berra etc £3k-£4k+ per week in the second tier and are not getting good outputs from any of them, except maybe Gordon.

    With Griffiths arguably in the same bracket with us as those players are with Hearts, are we really saying we can't, for £18k p/w or less, find a young, hungry player, who can contribute at the very least what Griffiths has recently? Considering Kilmala has probably been of more use to us in his time here than Griffiths has, and that is saying something. I'm not saying we're going to find the striking equivalent of Wanyama at bargain basement prices, as that's been a failed policy of ours for years. But you'll definitely find someone at this price point who's able to at least match the output of Griffiths of late; which is the point being made in the original tweet regarding the Hearts players.

    Leigh has talent but his lack of professionalism and work eithic, possibly compounded by other issues, have meant we haven't seen it in a long time and it doesn't look to be coming back with him now on the wrong side of 30. Time to move on and as others have said before me, let him become someone else's problem.
    Whilst interesting, that whole article, whilst mainly being about older players output, fails to address the fact that when they actually decide to use him Leigh Griffiths had the best goals per minute in Scotland.

    When he gets on the pitch, which heís been available to do most of the season but Celtic donít bother using him, he delivers.

    Slightly more goals per minute than Edouard and miles more than Morelos.

  11. #610
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On balance, I'd like him to sign, but I won't be gutted if we don't. He'll be 31 by the time the season starts and he's done nothing recently to suggest he'd be a huge asset. I know he's not been given much of a chance, but it's still the case.

    Rather than chuck loads to money at him, I'd far prefer we tried to keep Nesbit for another couple of years, but even that wouldn't generate new season ticket sales.

    I'm considering getting one this year but LG signing wouldn't push me either way. However, qualification for a European group stage and/or winning the Cup probably would.
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.

  12. #611
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,771
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.
    I disagree.

    Unfortunately, for one reason or another, we'll never know for sure.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  13. #612
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.

  14. #613
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.
    Well, one of them has 73 goals in the last 3 seasons, while the other has 24 so I'd go with the guy on 73, Kevin Nisbet.

  15. #614
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Nisbet but I'm very confident who would score more goals at Hibs over the next two seasons and it isn't him.
    Iíll disagree.

  16. #615
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    6,126
    Having read half a dozen pages of the Leigh thread on Kerrydale St, the recurring theme is ; Leigh GTF.

    Most are saying he is unprofessional, unfit, overweight and lacking commitment to anything but his own shoddy lifestyle. A few cite extenuating factors associated with his mental health issues, but they are roundly dismissed.

  17. #616
    @hibs.net private member HH81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíll disagree.
    Nisbet is playing like a player that wants out to me.
    Cougars!!!

  18. #617
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, one of them has 73 goals in the last 3 seasons, while the other has 24 so I'd go with the guy on 73, Kevin Nisbet.
    Nearly half of those goals were in League One. The majority of the rest were in the Championship.

  19. #618
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nisbet is playing like a player that wants out to me.
    I wouldn't go that far but we seem to be desperate to hammer Leigh for a lack of professionalism but not fussed at what happened with Nibset after the move to Birmingham didn't happen. Looks like us and the player have moved on but it does leave me with questions about how much he wants to be here.

  20. #619
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nearly half of those goals were in League One. The majority of the rest were in the Championship.
    I mean, Griffiths got 24 in 3 seasons in the top flight, Kevin got 16 in one reason so far.

    I'll take the guy who played 118 games, vs the guy who played 72 games.

    Kevin is the young, hungrier, better option. Fired us to 3rd and we should be keeping him.

  21. #620
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, Griffiths got 24 in 3 seasons in the top flight, Kevin got 16 in one reason so far.

    I'll take the guy who played 118 games, vs the guy who played 72 games.

    Kevin is the young, hungrier, better option. Fired us to 3rd and we should be keeping him.
    What if he wants to leave? That certainly seemed the case a couple months ago. He might be hungry but again, not sure yet if that hunger is to stay at Hibs.

    I suspect he'll go in the summer, regardless of Leigh being available. And it won't be Hibs desperate to sell him.

  22. #621
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What if he wants to leave? That certainly seemed the case a couple months ago. He might be hungry but again, not sure yet if that hunger is to stay at Hibs.

    I suspect he'll go in the summer, regardless of Leigh being available. And it won't be Hibs desperate to sell him.
    Wanting to go to Birmingham isn't the same as forcing his way out of hibs. He seems quite happy here.

  23. #622
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wanting to go to Birmingham isn't the same as forcing his way out of hibs. He seems quite happy here.
    Time will tell. For the record I want keep him and do rate him as a player but as I've said above, I think he'll be away by the start of next season. And that wont be because we were pushing him out the door.

  24. #623
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, Griffiths got 24 in 3 seasons in the top flight, Kevin got 16 in one reason so far.

    I'll take the guy who played 118 games, vs the guy who played 72 games.

    Kevin is the young, hungrier, better option. Fired us to 3rd and we should be keeping him.
    Griffiths has been backup striker to a £20m rated player and used as a scapegoat by a manager who was shown up to be an absolute disaster. Despite that, heís still managed to offer more goals than any other player in the league when heís been on the pitch. Heís also been available for the vast majority of games this season. Again, his disaster of a manager didnít use him. He hasnít played so few games because heís never fit etc, he hasnít played many games because his face didnít fit with the manager heís played under for the last 2 years.

    On the presumption weíd be signing him to be playing him and not treating as he has been the past two years at Celtic, the evidence of LG on a football pitch would suggest heíd still score a barrel load.

  25. #624
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Time will tell. For the record I want keep him and do rate him as a player but as I've said above, I think he'll be away by the start of next season. And that wont be because we were pushing him out the door.
    Thats fine. We should aim to replace him with another younger player we can sell in 2 years for good cash. Thats how we build up.

    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Griffiths has been backup striker to a £20m rated player and used as a scapegoat by a manager who was shown up to be an absolute disaster. Despite that, heís still managed to offer more goals than any other player in the league when heís been on the pitch. Heís also been available for the vast majority of games this season. Again, his disaster of a manager didnít use him. He hasnít played so few games because heís never fit etc, he hasnít played many games because his face didnít fit with the manager heís played under for the last 2 years.

    On the presumption weíd be signing him to be playing him and not treating as he has been the past two years at Celtic, the evidence of LG on a football pitch would suggest heíd still score a barrel load.
    Could we get a similar quality player, with less risk involved? I'd say we could. We have before.

  26. #625
    @hibs.net private member brog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,008
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Possibly not an increase but it could certainly help with damage limitation.

    As it is starting to look like weíll not be back in in full start of next season either Iíve got to say Iím now on the cusp of toiling to justify renewing if we wonít be there again.

    Something like signing LG could be the difference when it comes to going for it or not. Iíd imagine a lot of others will also be having to make decisions like mine. Signing LG could push a lot of folk in the right direction.
    That's where I'm at. A difference of 1k season tickets is about £200/250k to the club. Personally & regretfully I think we'll also have transfer fee income from Nisbet and/or Porto to play with. Leigh signing would be ideal compensation, hopefully backed up by us signing some other young talent.

  27. #626
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats fine. We should aim to replace him with another younger player we can sell in 2 years for good cash. Thats how we build up.



    Could we get a similar quality player, with less risk involved? I'd say we could. We have before.
    What is the risk with Griffiths? He had an injury at the start of the season but hasnít had one since.

    Heís apparently unfit yet heís tucking goals away at a rate better than anyone else in the league when heís on the pitch.

    Could we get better? Imo no, we couldnít. A player who has scored the goals he has over his career, is still scoring at a very good rate and is available to play most weeks. Heís better than any other striker we could get imo.

  28. #627
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    47
    Posts
    27,490
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's where I'm at. A difference of 1k season tickets is about £200/250k to the club. Personally & regretfully I think we'll also have transfer fee income from Nisbet and/or Porto to play with. Leigh signing would be ideal compensation, hopefully backed up by us signing some other young talent.
    I think this is a bit of a myth. I don't know of a signing that has ever on its own shifted season tickets. Good results, good football, yes, and a good signing is part of that but I think there will be a limited few who go running out to buy a ticket on the back of a particular signing.

    Most tickets are sold a long way before the business end of transfer windows anyway.

  29. #628
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,773
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the risk with Griffiths? He had an injury at the start of the season but hasnít had one since.

    Heís apparently unfit yet heís tucking goals away at a rate better than anyone else in the league when heís on the pitch.

    Could we get better? Imo no, we couldnít. A player who has scored the goals he has over his career, is still scoring at a very good rate and is available to play most weeks. Heís better than any other striker we could get imo.
    The risk is he isnít fit or focussed. Such as he was at the start of this season ....

    Has to be considered ..much more about his mindset than his physical fitness

  30. #629
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The risk is he isnít fit or focussed. Such as he was at the start of this season ....

    Has to be considered ..much more about his mindset than his physical fitness
    For someone that isnít fit or focussed heís still been performing very well when he gets game time. If his fitness or focus is in question because of NL throwing him under the bus, Iím not sure how much credence Iíd give to that really. His performances donít seem to back up the idea that he has fitness or focus issues. If he did, he wouldnít have a better strike rate per minute than every other player in the league. As much as heís an exceptional player, heís not good enough to be able to do that unfit and unfocused imo.

  31. #630
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    6,126
    No one in their right mind can deny that signing Griffiths comes with risk. He has managed c 100 games in the past 5 seasons, for whatever reason. It’s not just about his relationship withLennon, which no one on here really knows about. Yes, he has a good scoring/minutes ratio ( obviously playing for a team like Celtic helps this, compared to opportunities at one like Hibs).

    Celtic fans seem to think he’s unfit and has a lifestyle that is less than professional. That troubles me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)