hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 420 of 939
  1. #391
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,168
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about maverick genius? Is there a place for that in Ross's team? I ask that because for all the improvement, we still seem to lack something in the mix. I have no idea as to how Griffiths is in the dressing room either tbf.
    I guess it depends on how the player is affecting his team mates.

    I've managed people who are very good at their jobs, and whom I've got on with very well, but the team's overall performance dropped because everyone else was unhappy.

    Unfortunately, in a work situation, it's harder to move people on so if they're not careful, the manager eventually gets the reputation of not caring or of having favourites.

    In football parlance, that's called losing the dressing room. See John Collins for further information.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!




  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #392
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,435

  4. #393
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it depends on how the player is affecting his team mates.

    I've managed people who are very good at their jobs, and whom I've got on with very well, but the team's overall performance dropped because everyone else was unhappy.

    Unfortunately, in a work situation, it's harder to move people on so if they're not careful, the manager eventually gets the reputation of not caring or of having favourites.

    In football parlance, that's called losing the dressing room. See John Collins for further information.
    You could say the same for every team.

    Anthony Stokes was not a favourite inside the hibs dressing room.
    However his goals were obviously invaluable to the team. His performance in the cup final alone was exceptional. Good managers have to live with that problem.

  5. #394
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the first 6 months, maybe. The first six months? He was tremendous.
    It was more like the first 3 months. He scored 9 of his 15 goals in 3 months. Was a bit ***** after that.

  6. #395
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it depends on how the player is affecting his team mates.

    I've managed people who are very good at their jobs, and whom I've got on with very well, but the team's overall performance dropped because everyone else was unhappy.

    Unfortunately, in a work situation, it's harder to move people on so if they're not careful, the manager eventually gets the reputation of not caring or of having favourites.

    In football parlance, that's called losing the dressing room. See John Collins for further information.
    You would imagine that Griffith's character is fairly well known in football circles? I've played football with guys who were talented, but not great team players. As you say, those things can have an impact

    Hibs remind me of wholesome, but slightly stodgy food just now. I want us to be a bit more spicy and have a bit more panache about us.

  7. #396
    First Team Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    856
    Not read any of this thread. But simply put

    30 year old still. Last time Hibs signed a out of shape ex Hibs player from Celtic known to be abit of a loose cannon and had been frozen out at Celtic didn’t turn out to be too bad a signing.

    It’s a yes for me.

  8. #397
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    919
    Leigh Griffiths back to Hibs is a no brainer. The type of player you find a way to fit in the team, not the other way round, unsure if he will fit in the team.

  9. #398
    Testimonial Due Kaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess it depends on how the player is affecting his team mates.

    I've managed people who are very good at their jobs, and whom I've got on with very well, but the team's overall performance dropped because everyone else was unhappy.

    Unfortunately, in a work situation, it's harder to move people on so if they're not careful, the manager eventually gets the reputation of not caring or of having favourites.

    In football parlance, that's called losing the dressing room. See John Collins for further information.
    Good points.
    I'm just thinking Jack Ross has to show he's capable of managing some players who aren't steady Eddie's, Scott Allan doesn't appear to create problems and Leigh did seem to knuckle down for us so it's more managing their playing potential than character I think, there has to be some flair in his team for his career to keep developing.
    JR might be happy with us in 3rd/4th but I wouldn't think so.
    This situation, if its at all possible, hands him a great opportunity for both Hibs and his own career path.
    Will be interesting times.

  10. #399
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    45,168
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You would imagine that Griffith's character is fairly well known in football circles? I've played football with guys who were talented, but not great team players. As you say, those things can have an impact

    Hibs remind me of wholesome, but slightly stodgy food just now. I want us to be a bit more spicy and have a bit more panache about us.
    I've been at pains to say that I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It's a general observation.

    I'd love Hibs to be more exciting, but I think that if there had been fans at the games, our perception would be different.

    I've gone home after games waxing lyrical about how good a performance it was only to be utterly disappointed when watching the replay later.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  11. #400
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bo'ness
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,273
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Would love to see him back , score goals for fun back home

  12. #401
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Into the Valley
    Posts
    5,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been at pains to say that I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It's a general observation.

    I'd love Hibs to be more exciting, but I think that if there had been fans at the games, our perception would be different.

    I've gone home after games waxing lyrical about how good a performance it was only to be utterly disappointed when watching the replay later.

    Ok, but we're talking about Griffiths in particular? Fair enough, you don't know, neither do I

    A fair point about the difference between watching a game in person and one on the box. I still think we lack a bit sparkle though.

  13. #402
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    343
    Prefer if he didn't come back. Something in me says it wouldn't work.

    He'd get my full support if he did though

  14. #403
    Testimonial Due hibeedonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Glasgow/Dunblane
    Posts
    1,338
    Would be amazing to get him back, would love to see our HSL donations help towards this.

  15. #404
    @hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The East
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,831
    Has there ever been any chat that Griffiths has the wrong attitude or is a problem in the dressing room?

    I know you guys aren’t claiming that just now but wondered if it’s an actual issue or just something some folk are worried about in their own heads?

    I don’t see any risk to us in bringing him back at all. He’ll score goals, I’m not really bothered about anything else.

  16. #405
    @hibs.net private member Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    58
    Posts
    10,986
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has there ever been any chat that Griffiths has the wrong attitude or is a problem in the dressing room?

    I know you guys aren’t claiming that just now but wondered if it’s an actual issue or just something some folk are worried about in their own heads?

    I don’t see any risk to us in bringing him back at all. He’ll score goals, I’m not really bothered about anything else.
    My thinking too.
    Always looked like he was well knitted in with previous squads and loved pretty much without exception by the fans. Great player lots of experience, bags of goals. It’s a no brainer. Takes less brains than the average Hun TV subscription.
    I’m for it.

  17. #406
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,435

  18. #407
    As folk ahve said, hes 30 still a bit left in him, I think he would be great for us, points to prove and all that.

  19. #408
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    2,967
    when you look at the number of chances we are creating and how many of them we are actually converting, I honestly think Griff could score 30 goals for us if he is fit and has the right attitude. Selling Nisbet and bringing in Griff could be a masterstroke. I suspect if he is scoring..he is happy. Get him on the pitch, get him in a Hibs shirt and get the ball in the box.


  20. #410
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Pub With No Beer
    Posts
    152
    Reference Leigh Griffith’s personality.
    I remember an interview Paul Hanlon did a few years ago when Jason Cummings was knocking in the goals.He was asked if there was any similarity in the personalities of Cummings and Griffiths
    He said they were not similar.Jase was a likeable bampot who never stopped talking.Whereas Griffiths was quiet turned up for training,got on with things and never caused problems.
    If we could get the 2012-13 version of Griffiths,it would be a yes for me.He was the nearest thing I’ve seen to a one man team.
    However IMO there are a lot of hurdles to get over before this could be a goer.

  21. #411
    @hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,096
    Want him back soo badly.
    Firmly believe he would do the business on the park but it would also be such a massive statement from the club, especially if we do lose a couple of our
    biggest players. I'm certain it would also help with season tickets & make sure there was a major buzz about the place heading into next season.
    GG

  22. #412
    I’ve said it many times before, Leigh has had his issues but I’ve never heard of anything training wise or in a game to suggest he would be a bad addition.

    If he plays games he will get fit and enjoy his football again.

    It’s a no brainer.

    Nisbet is likely to leave for a decent fee so if we could bring Leigh in for free it would be brilliant business.

  23. #413
    @hibs.net private member Piqué's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You love to see it

  24. #414
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    965
    Hes coming home

  25. #415
    @hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Persevered Towers
    Age
    48
    Posts
    9,937
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    **** The Sun

  26. #416
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typical piece of baseless crap. The MSM simply quoting each other as if that proves anything..no quotes from the player involved or any of the clubs involved. Utter speculation and another sly dig at Hibs from Commons..basically saying Griff is not good enough for Celtic and is yesterdays man, so might suit Hibs. I wish he'd never pulled on a Hibs jersey, can't stand Commons.

    Other than that it's a great piece of journalism !

  27. #417
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    73
    Posts
    19,373
    Blog Entries
    1
    The prospect of maybe getting Griffiths is stronger than it appeared a week or two ago. However the story might have a few twists and turns yet. Hopefully the fat lady will sing in our favour soon.

  28. #418
    I really hope this saga doesn't drag on. If he wants to join and is serious about his career, he'll be here asap, if we want him. Joining late in the window, unfit, haggling for pennies is just going to be the start of a disaster.

  29. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thats the video for the season ticket campaign right there.

  30. #420
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,435
    Quote Originally Posted by snedzuk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    thats the video for the season ticket campaign right there.
    Would definitely work

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)