hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Griffiths didn’t enjoy being down south previously. If they renew his contract and he doesn’t leave then they’re down £1m. That’s a rather big risk considering the size of the task they have next year. The last thing they’ll be wanting is unhappy players and Griffiths would be just that providing they renew it for the sake of a few Bob, only to fail to sell him.

Exactly.

Hard to see Celtc recoup anything like £1m for Leigh, so unless he’s in the new manager’s plans for next season it would be folly for them to trigger that clause.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    That would leave Celtic with a salary liability of around £1m. Any club then coming in for Leigh would have to absorb that salary (or expect Leigh to give up the money) and find a transfer fee. They'd also have to be a club that Leigh was willing to sign for. In that scenario, it would be much more likely that Leigh would stay put and pick up the dosh. Doesn't sound like a sensible business move for Celtic to me.
    He's out of contract, with Celtic having a year option. If they don't want him, he's free to sign for anyone else. There will be no salary to absorb for Griffiths, because he won't be getting paid by anyone. He doesn't have the option of staying and picking up the dosh.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    He's out of contract, with Celtic having a year option. If they don't want him, he's free to sign for anyone else. There will be no salary to absorb for Griffiths, because he won't be getting paid by anyone. He doesn't have the option of staying and picking up the dosh.
    I'm aware of that. My post was in response to someone who had suggested that Celtic might trigger the extension in order to get a transfer fee. I was pointing out why that doesn't seem like sensible business.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mal View Post
    I'm aware of that. My post was in response to someone who had suggested that Celtic might trigger the extension in order to get a transfer fee. I was pointing out why that doesn't seem like sensible business.

If they give him an extension it’s because they see him playing. If they don’t see him playing then he’ll be on the move.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post

If they give him an extension it’s because they see him playing. If they don’t see him playing then he’ll be on the move.
    Are they any nearer getting a manager?
    Think Lawwell’s replacement has now started

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Anyone else leaping between a heart and head scenario, the head saying “there are a lot of questions on whether he’s worth the risk” and the heart saying “I’d love to see Leigh in a Hibs shirt one more time”?

The heart says yeah.

The head says hell yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    The heart says yeah.

The head says hell yeah!
    Definitely!
    Does anyone think it could or will happen?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Definitely!
    If Celtic don’t take up their option, it could happen but I’ve feeling it won’t. I think Griffiths will opt for
    £££ before, despite the practical benefits of coming back to us.

First Team Breakthrough My old man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post
    Definitely!

I do I think he’s had enough of selik I mean our fans can be a tad vocal
    But the “green brigade “ muppets are ruthless

But I need to ask 1 question
    Can Leigh decline the offer of a year?

GG2TH

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post

GG2TH

The Celtc clause is rumoured to be £1m.

We’d offer what, £200k or so?

What do you think?

Even as a Hibs fan I’d say he’d be mad to turn that down.

:

Quote Originally Posted by My old man View Post

GG2TH
    No he can’t decline. Celtic have that option to trigger an extra year, Griffiths has already signed that when he agreed to the deal.

Blog Entries

What do you think?

:
    It's not in Lee's hands. If Celtc trigger the option he stays there, so we're not competing with £1m a year. However I think that with a signing on fee in year 1 we could get close to 50% of Lee's reputed £1m a year. With the obvious advantages of Lee staying in Edinburgh I think we would have an excellent chance of getting him. I also think if fans are allowed back, we would recoup a good piece of our outlay through increased ST sales. Bring him home, it makes sense!

Blog Entries

What do you think?

:
    No he can’t decline. Celtic have that option to trigger an extra year, Griffiths has already signed that when he agreed to the deal.
    Judging by the comments on Kerrydale Street, I think there would be mass rioting if they take up their option. I suppose they might take the opportunity to gamble on keeping him for one more year on a much reduced wage, which, financially but not football-wise for Griffiths, might be his best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Judging by the comments on Kerrydale Street, I think there would be mass rioting if they take up their option. I suppose they might take the opportunity to gamble on keeping him for one more year on a much reduced wage, which, financially but not football-wise for Griffiths, might be his best option.
    That would be a different agreement to taking up their year option I presume?

Blog Entries
    That would be a different agreement to taking up their year option I presume?
    Not necessarily. I doubt it would have been agreed by Celtic that the one year option would have been at his present wage. I think the option clause would have been one year at a wage determined by Celtic. In that case, instead of £18k, they might offer, say £10k, which might be the best he can get, otherwise he can walk away.

Not necessarily. I doubt it would have been agreed by Celtic that the one year option would have been at his present wage. I think the option clause would have been one year at a wage determined by Celtic. In that case, instead of £18k, they might offer, say £10k, which might be the best he can get, otherwise he can walk away.
    I’ve always understood the one year option was for Celtic and not LG. So if Celtic want to take it up then LG has to accept that.

I’d presume though that it would be another year on the wage he’s on and not a wage of Celtics determination that LG wouldn’t have a say in.

Blog Entries
    I’ve always understood the one year option was for Celtic and not LG. So if Celtic want to take it up then LG has to accept that.

I’d presume though that it would be another year on the wage he’s on and not a wage of Celtics determination that LG wouldn’t have a say in.
    OK I see where you’re coming from. However, there’s no way they’re going to offer him another year on £18k, so they might offer him something along the lines I suggested and he can take it or leave it.

@hibs.net private member
    OK I see where you’re coming from. However, there’s no way they’re going to offer him another year on £18k, so they might offer him something along the lines I suggested and he can take it or leave it.
    Isn’t it a one year extension though...I.e on the same terms...probably will have a wedge of signing on in the deal too....will be surprised if they take it up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They’re not offering him anything. They’re extending his contract, his current contract, by 1 year. Nothing else changes. If Celtic had the option to change his wage they’d just extend it and pay him national minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    It's not in Lee's hands. If Celtc trigger the option he stays there, so we're not competing with £1m a year. However I think that with a signing on fee in year 1 we could get close to 50% of Lee's reputed £1m a year. With the obvious advantages of Lee staying in Edinburgh I think we would have an excellent chance of getting him. I also think if fans are allowed back, we would recoup a good piece of our outlay through increased ST sales. Bring him home, it makes sense!
    Leigh doesn’t stay in Edinburgh.

That doesn't sound like a 1 year option if they can offer what they like and he can either take it or leave it. That's just a normal discussion about a new contract.

@hibs.net private member
    They’re not offering him anything. They’re extending his contract, his current contract, by 1 year. Nothing else changes. If Celtic had the option to change his wage they’d just extend it and pay him national minimum wage.
    Celtic would be able to not extend his current contract but still offer him a new deal on reduced terms and that's what i think they will do. It would then be up to him to decide whether he wants to stay for reduced money (but still likely more than what hibs or aberdeen can offer) or leave and play every week.

If he does leave then I really hope he decides to come to us, it's not often we get the chance to sign someone of his calibre who aren't well into their 30's.

Blog Entries
    I know but I'm sure staying in Scotland will be preferable to the likes of uprooting to Preston, Barnsley, Nottingham etc. I say that because I think his only English suitors will be Championship clubs & probably not promotion candidates at that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Isn’t it a one year extension though...I.e on the same terms...probably will have a wedge of signing on in the deal too....will be surprised if they take it up...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    That doesn't sound like a 1 year option if they can offer what they like and he can either take it or leave it. That's just a normal discussion about a new contract.
    I hear what you guys are saying so I suppose I’m suggesting a scenario along the lines ....... Celtic - Sorry Leigh we can’t offer you an extension under the present conditions so you’re free to go. However, we are willing to offer you a new one/two year contract at £8k. If that’s the best deal he can get, he might take it.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    A few people have suggested that there would be a big increase in Season Ticket sales, but I very much doubt that many non ST holders would be all that excited by Leigh Griffiths signing again.

Even if there were a few extras bought, it would mostly be by people who attend the majority, if not all, the games anyway and there's no increased revenue from that.

I do think we should try but and financial benefit would come from success on the park, not ticket sales.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I hear what you guys are saying so I suppose I’m suggesting a scenario along the lines ....... Celtic - Sorry Leigh we can’t offer you an extension under the present conditions so you’re free to go. However, we are willing to offer you a new one/two year contract at £8k. If that’s the best deal he can get, he might take it.
    Fair enough. I see where you’re coming from. Pretty much the same as PH91 has since also said.

First Team Breakthrough
    If Celtic offer him a new deal even if it’s on reduced terms, then it will
    be better than what we can offer I guess. Probably the last chance at a good/final pay day. So I don’t think many folk would argue with him
    Hypothetically taking a 8k rather than a 3-4K. Unless we lump in with a large signing on bonus.

The last I knew he stayed in Wallyford