hibs.net Messageboard

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should change this thread to Leigh Griffiths to Hibs.
    Never mind #roadtoeurope to get the HSL payments up, an unofficial #bringleighhome would get more folk excited....you Twitter folk get the ball rolling😎

2. Log in to remove the advert

A couple of years ago I'd have bitten your hand off for him to sign for us again.

Now I'm not quite so sure but I would still be inclined to take a chance and offer him a deal as long as it was within our present wage structure.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Elyounoussi belongs to Southampton so Celtic can't sell him .

Danger sign for me with Griffiths, that no poster has mentioned yet, is that he should have been trying to the max this season to win the £1 million contract extention but he still couldn't motivate himself and that has to be a worry.
    I wonder how much of that is down to the fact he was regularly blamed by his manager for how poor a job NL himself was doing?

I’m not sure this season at Celtic could have been set up any worse for LG to do well and/or be motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    A couple of years ago I'd have bitten your hand off for him to sign for us again.

Now I'm not quite so sure but I would still be inclined to take a chance and offer him a deal as long as it was within our present wage structure.
    Agree with that. There are very few players of LG quality who would be prepared to consider Hibs, and likely trim his personal demands to make the deal happen. Might not work out, but you can't turn down the opportunity.

His lucrative contract at Celtic has always made coming to Hibs a non starter but with no big contract to walk away from this summer it is now a real possibility.
    600 adult season tickets a season would probably pay his wage if he came in at the top of the current pay structure.

Signing for Hibs depends on 3 things:
    Firstly whether Leigh wants to do it for the wage on offer
    Secondly whether Jack Ross thinks Leigh can still do his thing regularly and whether the inevitable hassles will be worth it.
    Thirdly, the Aberdeen and Scott Brown factor.

Scott Brown will know the answer to all the questions that Jack Ross has to decide on so it will be interesting to see if Aberdeen try to get Leigh.
    If not it may suggest Brown has told them to steer clear.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-04-2021 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    Crazy that anyone wouldn't want him back
    Wages would likely be hefty and Leigh hasn't been able to get himself fit or motivated for the biggest season Celtic had in decades or to compete for a place in the national team on the verge of appearing at our first major tournament in a generation.

Its not 'crazy' for people to have their doubts on whether it would work out.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I don’t really see what his contract at Celtc has to do with it.

His days of those deals are behind him. He’s worth what someone is willing to pay him. Nobody is going to chuck £10k a week at him, if his contracts up, and he wants a wage, I think we’ve a good shout of getting a very good player.

We got Bogdan despite what he probably previously earned playing in the EPL.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    His lucrative contract at Celtic has always made coming to Hibs a non starter but with no big contract to walk away from this summer it is now a real possibility.
    600 adult season tickets a season would probably pay his wage if he came in at the top of the current pay structure.

Signing for Hibs depends on 3 things:
    Firstly whether Leigh wants to do it for the wage on offer
    Secondly whether Jack Ross thinks Leigh can still do his thing regularly and whether the inevitable hassles will be worth it.
    Thirdly, the Aberdeen and Scott Brown factor.

Scott Brown will know the answer to all the questions that Jack Ross has to decide on so it will be interesting to see if Aberdeen try to get Leigh.
    If not it may suggest Brown has told them to steer clear

Interesting consideration and makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    Depends on how much fizzy juice he's had when he makes the recommendation

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcM View Post
    Not me, to me it looks like putting 2 and 2 together and getting 47.

JR saying in the AGM that he wants a left footed attacker? Leigh certainly fits the description. I would love him back, I still think he is one of the best finishers in Scotland. Only 30 years old, if he came back I have no doubt he would give his absolute all as he loves the club, if he had the choice between us and Aberdeen I would be surprised if he didn’t choose us.

@hibs.net private member
    LG has never settled when away from the Edinburgh area, I’d doubt he’ll go to Aberdeen. Signing him on free transfer will be great business for Hibs. A deal could constructed to make it financially rewarding if he’s doing the business on the park. Hibs would be silly not to at least give it ago.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyboy1 View Post
    was his very good friends dad also a footballer.
    Not as far as I know . But he did say Leigh had approached Hibs about a move 🤞
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Need to remember he’s only available on a free if Celtic don’t apply the one year option by 30 April

I hope they don’t and we try and get him but I think they will.

@hibs.net private member
    Announce Leigh on a pre-contract and season ticket sales on the same day😎

He would certainly add a bit of excitement and have the European experience we will need. He surely wouldn’t pick boring Aberdeen above his beloved Hibs. Come home Leigh. 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-boys View Post
    It would put Haymaker out of business😂
    Cut my posts in half certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    Crazy that anyone wouldn't want him back
    I see it is as significant risk. Everyone would love 23 year old Griffiths back. 30 year old is a different situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I see it is as significant risk. Everyone would love 23 year old Griffiths back. 30 year old is a different situation.
    How would you feel if he signed for Hearts, I bet you would wish he’d came here. He’s probably the best goal scorer in Scotland from anywhere on the park, free kicks, solo efforts, tap ins etc. He would come with a risk but he gets the juices going and loved playing for Hibs. I’d take that risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Emerald View Post
    How would you feel if he signed for Hearts, I bet you would wish he’d came here. He’s probably the best goal scorer in Scotland from anywhere on the park, free kicks, solo efforts, tap ins etc. He would come with a risk but he gets the juices going and loved playing for Hibs. I’d take that risk.
    I'd laugh if he signed for Hearts tbh, could finally stop hearing about how he is the biggest hibby ever and loves us.

He would come with risk, thats all I said. One I probably lean against taking right now.

Signing any player is a gamble and has its own risks however signing LG could be a
    masterstroke by Ron and co and could potentially pay for itself. By this I mean a marquee type signing which could push ST’s, merchandise and possibly even more investment.

It would be a statement of intent.

I think it’s a no brainier for me and I really do think that LG is just waiting for the call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Signing any player is a gamble and has its own risks however signing LG could be a
    masterstroke by Ron and co and could potentially pay for itself. By this I mean a marquee type signing which could push ST’s, merchandise and possibly even more investment.

It would be a statement of intent.

I think it’s a no brainier for me and I really do think that LG is just waiting for the call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m in agreement with you Aldo, it’s a no brainier and would definitely engage the fans attention. Would be a brilliant tonic coming out of this pandemic to go back to ER with LG in the team. GGTTH 🇳🇬🇳🇬

always got the impression he never tried hard playing against us especially at easter road. a signing that would sway fans to come and watch, we dont have enough anymore. hes far from a risky signing

Thoroughly pessimistic about it happening, but I keep on checking in on this thread incase anyone has a scoop.

Dream scenario of Sparky coming home.

Get it done, Ron and I’ll double my HSL payments 😉.

Just thinking back to when Deeks or Gaz came back - would this be much bigger / how would it be different ?

I think LG while had issues at Celtic needs the Hibs fans love and a manager who believes in him.

Imagine the hype around him resigning and would love to see how Hibs announce it.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCastle View Post
    Just thinking back to when Deeks or Gaz came back - would this be much bigger / how would it be different ?

I think LG while had issues at Celtic needs the Hibs fans love and a manager who believes in him.

Imagine the hype around him resigning and would love to see how Hibs announce it.
    This would be bigger definitely. He’s a much better player than either of they two.

With regards to different, obviously it’s impossible to know. But Riordan returned to us having played 11 games and scored 1 goal in the previous 1 and a half seasons. O’Connor returned having had 3 really poor seasons in a row down south. Griffiths is still scoring at a superb rate when given opportunities.

Riordan and O’Connor despite their poor periods before returning actually came in and done quite well for us for the first season at least.

Understandable comparisons, but I think the situations are quite a bit different.

Personally I don’t think Griffiths is a gamble at all.

For whatever reason Lennon would say he’s unfit, fit, very unfit, then he would start him, dropped the next week etc etc.

I don’t know why but I just think Lennon had something against him, whenever I saw him this season he looked a threat and far from unit.

If he came here he would start every week, enjoy his football and the fitness would come.

I’d take him in a heartbeat. He’s got the ability to score/create out of nothing and that’s priceless.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Does he not have another year on his Celtic contract?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He does have a contract until 2022 but there's a clause which allows him to leave a year early which would be this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Celtic have an option for next season but highly unlikely to take it up given the lack of return from the player for circa £19k a week.
    Option needs to be taken up by April 30th.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 08-04-2021 at 10:47 PM.