hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Finding Jack Charlton BBC 2

Interesting programme about a real giant of the game on tonight at 9pm.
    Goes right through his career as a player, manager until his dementia at the end.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Absolutely superb programme. Very sad but also hugely inspirational.

Would recommend watching this just about to show on Beeb 2"

Missed the start, very good

I'll get it on catch up, he's a guy I've always liked, except when he played for Leeds against Hibs 😁

Says it like it is and to hell with anyone who disagrees.

Looking forward to watching it

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would recommend watching this just about to show on Beeb 2"
    Good recommend. That was excellent

Loved the disbelieving look on his face when the kid reporter asked him straight up about the mercenary English, Scottish and Welsh players he had assembled to play for Ireland!
    An Irish kid reporter with a brassier neck than Jack himself.

Fantastic watch, really enjoyed it.

First Team Breakthrough
    Excellent stuff Definitely recommend it .

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    It was a great watch. Poignant to anyone who has experience of dementia as well.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    That was a poignant watch but a great tribute. Didn't even consider the impact an Englishman being so popular over there would have on aiding the peace process. Such a shame his brother is going through the same thing.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

It was a really good watch and even the other half said she found it very emotional. Oh and she preferred Jack's version of the away the lads song compared to the lyrics in the old hibs version

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Will always have a bit of a soft spot for Jack. Member of England's 66 winning team of course, but as a kid who was decent but not brilliant myself, I played most of my football as a defender. Jacks quote that lived with me forever as far as my own football "career" went " I might not be the best footballer in the world but I'll make it bl00dy hard for those that think they are"

I met him in Edinburgh in May 1989. I was filling up my car by the Maybury when in walks Jack Charlton. I was wondering why he was in Edinburgh as he was manager of the Republic of Ireland at the time.

When I read the local paper I worked out that he was up for the funeral of Don Revie who had died at Murrayfield Hospital four days earlier.

Jack wasn't buying fuel in the filling station, he had stopped to buy a packet of cigarettes. As he pointed out, giving up smoking was dead easy as he had given up six times.

I was lucky enough to meet him and he was a great character.

Loved the programme.

@hibs.net private member
    Just watched it after telling everyone else to watch it.

Really heartwarming story. Didn't realise he was credited with doing so much for Ireland as a country. Seemed to be a real character.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Just watched it after telling everyone else to watch it.

Really heartwarming story. Didn't realise he was credited with doing so much for Ireland as a country. Seemed to be a real character.
    Seemed to be highly respected as a man-manager and getting the Ireland team to bond and play for each other but whilst that array of scribbled prep notes looked like it contained a whole load of nuggets, it was a right mess. And the revelation that for the World Cup penalty shoot-out v Romania to take Ireland to the QFs he just left the players to decide who was taking them, and that the fifth penalty taker David O'Leary had never before taken a penalty, has to leave at least a modicum of doubt about how he prepared his team. No penalty practice?
    Having said that, if Steve Clarke gets Scotland to a WC QF I wouldn't give one jot what he did or didn't do with the team in training. He would be lauded in the same way Jack so rightly was by the Irish fans.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    He was a lovely old school gentleman who said it as it is. Pity there wasn’t more of his like around now.

would I have welcomed his tactics at Easter Road? Hmmm. I’m not sure. Depends on success and silverware I suppose. But his teams were not easy on the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeard View Post
    Seemed to be highly respected as a man-manager and getting the Ireland team to bond and play for each other but whilst that array of scribbled prep notes looked like it contained a whole load of nuggets, it was a right mess. And the revelation that for the World Cup penalty shoot-out v Romania to take Ireland to the QFs he just left the players to decide who was taking them, and that the fifth penalty taker David O'Leary had never before taken a penalty, has to leave at least a modicum of doubt about how he prepared his team. No penalty practice?
    Having said that, if Steve Clarke gets Scotland to a WC QF I wouldn't give one jot what he did or didn't do with the team in training. He would be lauded in the same way Jack so rightly was by the Irish fans.
    That was pretty par for the course then. The England team never practiced penalties in those years when they were forever losing them. I think Italy too. There was a long held school of thought that you had to be spontaneous, had to see who was feeling confident at the time, and that just running up and hitting it was best in high pressure situations.

From a purist point of view they were horrible to watch in 88 and especially in Italia 90 but they played to their strengths.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    That was pretty par for the course then. The England team never practiced penalties in those years when they were forever losing them. I think Italy too. There was a long held school of thought that you had to be spontaneous, had to see who was feeling confident at the time, and that just running up and hitting it was best in high pressure situations.

From a purist point of view they were horrible to watch in 88 and especially in Italia 90 but they played to their strengths.

played 5 games in Italia 90, scored two goals, didn’t win a single game (except on pens)

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan Hibernia View Post

played 5 games, scored two goals, didn’t win a single game (except on pens)
    They were playing some cracking teams though. Italy Holland England Romania

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Absolutely superb programme. Very sad but also hugely inspirational.
    Agreed. Real quality documentary about a top bloke. Loved the world Cup stuff. Sad to hear about Paul McGrath's background too. But that Irish team were brilliant back in the day. JC had them all playing superbly and to the best of their abilities.

RIP Jack

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

There was also a gem of a shorter tribute to him after the main documentary.

Just got done watching it and it's a from me. Always liked big Jack for some unknown reason.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crunchie View Post
    Just got done watching it and it's a from me. Always liked big Jack for some unknown reason.
    I think he was popular because he was just an ordinary guy, no airs or graces. His brother never had the common touch.

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I think he was popular because he was just an ordinary guy, no airs or graces. His brother never had the common touch.
    Probably mate, his brother did seem to come over a bit snobbish. Sad to hear he has dementia as well though.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    What a beautifully made film. Sad, emotional, tragic but loving and inspirational. Such a great man that succeeded by being genuine and treating others with respect. It achieved great depth without ever being intrusive, never more so than with the demons that Paul McGrath had to battle with for all of his life.

Just watched it today and thought it was a beautifully made documentary. Seeing Charlton as he was towards the end of his life was incredibly moving and I daresay it hit home for anyone who has watched dementia take a loved one. It's almost as if they are gone whilst still being there and those moments when a flicker of their former self appears are bittersweet. It wasn't too saccharine either. It mentioned his flaws, the likes of Dunphy and O'Leary had a chance to speak.

I remember being on holiday in Portugal when USA 94 kicked off and watching Irelands 1st game with what felt like half of Dublin. Charlton was a God to them.

It was also good to see Paul McGrath looking well. The moment when Charlton recognised him and broke into a beaming smile just about set me off. It was just a brilliant few seconds.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Left by mutual consent!
    I was in a pub in London watching Italy v Ireland game in 1990. Was a riot (of good sorts!) Jackie and his team really lit up that tournament. Great memories.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk