hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

12 Hibs Players Team Players Out of Contract

Generally every 3 years loads of players at Hibs reach the end of their contracts at the same time.
    This next happens at the end of next season when the contracts of the following 12 first team players end:

Scott Allan
    Christian Doidge
    Stevie Mallan
    Paul Hanlon
    Lewis Stevenson
    Sean Mackie
    Melker Hallberg
    Drey Wright
    Alex Gogic
    Paul McGinn
    Steven Bradley
    Jamie Murphy

Which of the players do you think Jack Ross will want to keep?

I reckon Paul Hanlon will be the best bet with possibly Christian Doidge and as an outside bet Alex Gogic

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Generally every 3 years loads of players at Hibs reach the end of their contracts at the same time.
    This next happens at the end of next season when the contracts of the following 12 first team players end:

Scott Allan
    Christian Doidge

Stevie Mallan
    Paul Hanlon
    Lewis Stevenson
    Sean Mackie
    Melker Hallberg
    Drey Wright
    Alex Gogic
    Paul McGinn
    Steven Bradley
    Jamie Murphy

I reckon Paul Hanlon will be the best bet with possibly Christian Doidge and as an outside bet Alex Gogic
    As above for me. He seems to like Hallberg as a sub too, so possibly him if he's ok with not playing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian Verse View Post
    As above for me. He seems to like Hallberg as a sub too, so possibly him if he's ok with not playing too much.
    Problem for Scott Allan is he will be one of the top earners.
    A big season for him next season.
    Unless he can make a big comeback I suspect his considerable wage will be put back in the pot for new recruits.
    Stevie Mallan in a similar boat. Lots of the wage budget with little return equals gone.

Sorry for messed up title.
    Should read : 12 Hibs First Team Players Out of Contract

So the end of next season? A bit cruel when we havent even started that season yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    So the end of next season? A bit cruel when we havent even started that season yet.
    Just chucking it out there to give us something to talk about during International week.
    Some of the guys might move on in the summer and some will get offers of new contracts in December.
    Aberdeen reach the same point in the contract cycle at the end of this season although with the exception of Hoban I suspect they will be delighted to get rid of the rest.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Assuming Jack Ross will be here to make the call!!!!

I hope he is but you can never tell.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

A wee while before he gets his vaccine right enough .

Think the Hibs project will keep his interest whilst it continues to progress.

Once a fair chunk of the out of contract players above go at the end of next season he will be working exclusively with players he brought in or chose to retain.

If I was to guess on his shelf life I could probably see him leave for better things or be pushed out during or after season 2022/23.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-03-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post

Especially if Clarke leaves Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    It's something to think about before the midway point of next season for me, doesn't really matter at the moment, just my own opinion of course

Sorry for messed up title.
    Should read : 12 Hibs First Team Players Out of Contract
    You could have also said at end of NEXT season.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Scott Allan
    Christian Doidge
    Stevie Mallan
    Paul Hanlon
    Lewis Stevenson
    Sean Mackie
    Melker Hallberg
    Drey Wright
    Alex Gogic
    Paul McGinn
    Steven Bradley
    Jamie Murphy

Out of that list I think we’ll keep
    Allan
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mcginn
    A lot will depend on form with others, Doidge on current form will struggle to get a new contract, Gogic is a bit of a strange one for me, I quite like him but we’re probably going to need a bit better to progress. Bradley is still young so he might get more game time next season and win a new contract. The rest will probably be allowed to leave.

United we stand here....

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Allan
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mcginn
    A lot will depend on form with others, Doidge on current form will struggle to get a new contract, Gogic is a bit of a strange one for me, I quite like him but we’re probably going to need a bit better to progress. Bradley is still young so he might get more game time next season and win a new contract. The rest will probably be allowed to leave.
    Doidge on current form would certainly not struggle to get a new contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Doidge on current form would certainly not struggle to get a new contract.
    I disagree. I think he’s been poor this season. The Doidge of last season would easily get a new contract, but he’ll have to get back to that sort of form or I can see him leaving. Some of his finishing this season has been dismal, at times he’s looked out of his depth. Hopefully he can turn it around as he was great last season when he finally got going.

United we stand here....

I disagree. I think he’s been poor this season. The Doidge of last season would easily get a new contract, but he’ll have to get back to that sort of form or I can see him leaving. Some of his finishing this season has been dismal, at times he’s looked out of his depth. Hopefully he can turn it around as he was great last season when he finally got going.
    Doidge hasn't been in good goalscoring form but he has never looked out of his depth IMO, not once. Always a part of every game. We wouldn't be 3rd place with an out of depth striker starting every match. He'll stroll into a good gig if we are stupid enough to let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Doidge hasn't been in good goalscoring form but he has never looked out of his depth IMO, not once. Always a part of every game. We wouldn't be 3rd place with an out of depth striker starting every match. He'll stroll into a good gig if we are stupid enough to let him go.
    Some of his finishing has been embarrassing, completely missing the ball at times. He’s never been the most technical, but as long as he’s scoring it doesn’t matter. He needs to get back to scoring goals imo.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I think Doidge has been consistent since he arrived.
    We all expected him to be a freescoring striker and folk were annoyed when he wasn't consistently missing his one on ones with opposition keepers

So not a one on one goalscorer when he arrived and probably never will be. More a bundle the ball over the line sort of guy.
    However, he is a great facilitator for Boyle and Nisbet, a pain in the arse for the opposition defenders and a good defensive player at opposition set pieces which is all good for the team although not always valued by some supporters when goals are scarce for him.

Jack Ross has seen the the good and the bad of Doidge and must have decided the good far outweighs the bad because he plays him almost every game.
    It will be interesting to see how season 3 goes for the big guy. Hopefully he remains a consistent team player but can bundle a few more over the line.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-03-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Allan
    Hanlon
    Stevenson
    Mcginn
    The attraction with Gogic is Ross knows exactly what he is going to get with Gogic and he is easy on the wage budget.
    He was taken out the team a few times but we missed his combative powers and he was put back in.
    Has played more minutes than most of the fancy Dan's around him this season so a lot of bang for our buck.
    He is like a hammer in the toolbox. Better to use the finer precise tools on a job but sometimes you just need to get the hammer out to persuade compliance.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 29-03-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The attraction with Gogic is Ross knows exactly what he is going to get with Gogic and he is easy on the wage budget.
    He was taken out the team a few times but we missed his combative powers and he was put back in.
    Has played more minutes than most of the fancy Dan's around him this season so a lot of bang for our buck.
    He is like a hammer in the toolbox. Better to use the finer precise tools on a job but sometimes you just need to get the hammer out to persuade compliance.
    As I said on another thread (although everyone just ignored me so it's maybe complete nonsense), but I think Gogic is interchangeable with Irvine as opposed to Newell depending in the opposition/circumstances. Irvine is obviously more skillful, but for me they're more similar than Gogic & Newell.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    As I said on another thread (although everyone just ignored me so it's maybe complete nonsense), but I think Gogic is interchangeable with Irvine as opposed to Newell depending in the opposition/circumstances. Irvine is obviously more skillful, but for me they're more similar than Gogic & Newell.
    Yeah, different horses for different courses.
    The joys of a balanced squad.
    A player for every occasion.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    ‘Persuade compliance’

Sensational language use. 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    ‘Persuade compliance’

Sensational language use. 10/10
    I try

Changing tack a little bit.
    I wonder how many of the 12 will move on this summer instead of playing out the final year of their contract.

Ross is a very pragmatic guy. Nothing nasty but players he doesn't want are gently eased out and replaced with players he does.
    He is patient and gives players a chance to impress, however, if they continually fail he quietly but decisively removes them.

This season he has shown that he has no intention of playing Gray in league games. Club legend but it's getting silly now after 2 seasons of nothing.
    Horgan was gently eased out and replaced by Murphy.
    Daz was brought in for a couple of league games and did very well but he's back in the stand. 36 in the summer but JR might keep him as cover for one more season if his knees are holding up.

Drey Wright played a lot at the start, failed to make the grade and was eventually hooked and has been on the bench ever since. Only plea in mitigation for Drey is JR played him on the left flank and he played on the right flank for St Johnstone. Additional problem for him now is the arrival of Chris Cadden.

Mallan struggled to get back in the team after injury and it appears he isn't in JR's plans. Hibs finances were helped when a Turkish side took on his wage. I think Hibs would be delighted if he stays in Turkey so they can spend his wage on a new player. However, I have a horrible feeling the Turks won't decide to keep Stevie and he will be back at Easter Road.

I think JR likes Hallberg but not enough to give him a regular spot in the team. 3 caps for Sweden and as a 17 year old was rated 14th best player in their top league. He appears decent but not special when playing for Hibs. Can't see any of this changing. A good squad player. At 25 he might decide he doesn't want another season as a bit player although JR may insist on keeping him given he needs a bigger squad for our additional European game load.

Stevenson still appears to have no fitness issues. Has finally been superceded at right back this season but has an important role in the development of Doig and Mackie and plays when required.

Scott Allan, I am undecided what JR thinks of him but he has a lot of ground to make up to win another contract. Very brave to go to Inverness because people including JR will judge his performances there. He then has pre season. Then it's sink or swim time. Hope he is fit and well so he can do his stuff. However, I do fear he is done and will a big wage in the stand but his guts to play at Inverness gives me hope.

Mackie needs to get fit, stay fit and play. Looks the business to me. Big strong and fast. Next season is big for him.

Steven Bradley like all young guys before him has a tough task ahead to get in the team and the pressure of the final year of his contract is added pressure.

Doidge, Hanlon, Gogic and McGinn have played loads this season so are currently in the box seat at to win new contracts but as we all know that can all easily change in the course of the next year.

Conclusion - Favourite of the 12 to leave a year early this summer
    Must be Drey Wright. Chris Cadden fired the final nail into his coffin so he will leave if he can get a similar contract elsewhere orclose to it and Hibs pay the difference. Somewhere like Dundee Utd might be a good fit.

2nd favourite
    Stevie Mallan although I suspect he will be on a good contract so it will be difficult for him to find a team to take that on so he may sit tight.

3rd favourite
    Melker Hallberg if he decides another season of being a squad player is not for him
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 30-03-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Left by mutual consent!

Scott Allan
    Christian Doidge
    Stevie Mallan
    Paul Hanlon
    Lewis Stevenson
    Sean Mackie
    Melker Hallberg
    Drey Wright
    Alex Gogic
    Paul McGinn
    Steven Bradley
    Jamie Murphy

Agree with this.

Add Scott Allan and Mackie.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Agree with this.

Add Scott Allan and Mackie.
    Mackie is an interesting player.
    Looked fast and strong when he played earlier in the season before being stopped in his tracks by injury again.
    In the meantime Doig has managed lots of game time and has cemented himself in the team as Stevensons successor.
    Hopefully he is ready to play again and can play in the early round of the Scottish Cup..
    Injury rather than a lack of ability appears to stand between Sean Mackie and a good football career.
    Hope he can catch a break.

Mackie is an interesting player.
    Looked fast and strong when he played earlier in the season before being stopped in his tracks by injury again.
    In the meantime Doig has managed lots of game time and has cemented himself in the team as Stevensons successor.
    Hopefully he is ready to play again and can play in the early round of the Scottish Cup..
    Injury rather than a lack of ability appears to stand between Sean Mackie and a good football career.
    Hope he can catch a break.
    I expect Doig to be away either end of this season or next. At his level of performance we wont keep him for much longer.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I expect Doig to be away either end of this season or next. At his level of performance we wont keep him for much longer.
    I really think we could get £4-5m for him this summer what with his age, most recent performances and potential.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I really think we could get £4-5m for him this summer what with his age, most recent performances and potential.
    Would be great but I really don’t see us getting half of that unfortunately.

First Team Breakthrough
    It's a bit early for such a discussion. We've got two transfer windows before these players are out of contract; much will depend on recruitment, player sales, players coming through from the development team, fitness and form. Lewis currently seems to be back-up to Doig; any further contract extension would take him to age 36 or beyond. I suspect that we'll be looking to move Wright and Hallberg, possibly Mackie and some of the loanees, along in the summer rather than waiting a further year.

Probably one more season at Hibs.
    That will decide whether he is below, at, above or well above Hibs level.
    I would say he is at Hibs level at the moment with potential to move to the next level up.
    As ever time will tell.

I take it your name is an ironic one.