hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lewis has been a good player for us over the years.

I don't think it's doing him a disservice to say he wouldn't be in our all time best ever players squad whilst at the same time saying he is a club legend.

David Murphy for instance is generally regarded by pretty much all Hibs supporters as being a better player than Lewis, Lewis would probably agree, but he's not a club legend.
    If Murphy had stayed with Hibs for ten years plus, I am sure he would be regarded as a legend.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    If Murphy had stayed with Hibs for ten years plus, I am sure he would be regarded as a legend.
    Cup winner and a brilliant player. Legend.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Scotland cap too

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    To just dismiss him as just a player with a great attitude and work rate does him a disservice too. Simon Murray showed that will get you a place at Hibs but it won’t keep you here.

It’s taken one of the most exciting young prospects in this country who has grabbed the attention of top teams like Arsenal to dislodge him. There have been dozens of contenders to take his place in the team and he’s seen them off - and the one who broke that trend Lewis has supported at every step of the way.

We’re going to miss Lewis big time when he goes. A very good player, an even better human being and a legendary Hibee.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    To just dismiss him as just a player with a great attitude and work rate does him a disservice too. Simon Murray showed that will get you a place at Hibs but it won’t keep you here.

It’s taken one of the most exciting young prospects in this country who has grabbed the attention of top teams like Arsenal to dislodge him. There have been dozens of contenders to take his place in the team and he’s seen them off - and the one who broke that trend Lewis has supported at every step of the way.

We’re going to miss Lewis big time when he goes. A very good player, an even better human being and a legendary Hibee.
    It has taken a great young prospect to dislodge him. However, I don’t think there has been as many contenders for his place as is thought because, for the first half of his Hibs career, he never really had a position to call his own. It was only really when Stubbs came in that the left back position became his. Prior to that, he played pretty much all over the pitch and his versatility really helped him.

I can’t actually believe there is a debate about his legendary status but, at the same time, I still wouldn’t describe him as a very good player either.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It has taken a great young prospect to dislodge him. However, I don’t think there has been as many contenders for his place as is thought because, for the first half of his Hibs career, he never really had a position to call his own. It was only really when Stubbs came in that the left back position became his. Prior to that, he played pretty much all over the pitch and his versatility really helped him.

I can’t actually believe there is a debate about his legendary status but, at the same time, I still wouldn’t describe him as a very good player either.
    Anyone who has had a career the length of Lewis’ at a club like Hibs is a very good player. You can’t play at that level for that long if you’re not.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    You sure about that?

I’m not directing this at Stevenson, but there have been hundreds of players who have had a career at the top of Scottish football that could at best be described as average.

Is staying at one club a sign that you’re any better or worse than players that move a few times?

If they were really good they’d have fancied their chances down south or abroad in most cases I’d have thought.

Clearly there are exceptions like Scot Brown but most decent players that Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen have, move on after a few years to bigger things.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    You sure about that?

I’m not directing this at Stevenson, but there have been hundreds of players who have had a career at the top of Scottish football that could at best be described as average.

Is staying at one club a sign that you’re any better or worse than players that move a few times?

If they were really good they’d have fancied their chances down south or abroad in most cases I’d have thought.

Clearly there are exceptions like Scot Brown but most decent players that Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen have, move on after a few years to bigger things.

So because players don't move abroad or go down south they aren't really good players, nonsense, maybe some folk enjoy earning a couple of grand a week which is still a very good wage in the grand scheme of things and staying in an area they like.

That’s not what I’m saying at all, wind your neck in.

That’s not what I’m saying at all, wind your neck in.
    What's with the attitude when someone questions your post? that's exactly what you said so I suggest you wind your neck in and if you don't want a post replied to then don't post

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    What's with the attitude when someone questions your post? that's exactly what you said so I suggest you wind your neck in and if you don't want a post replied to then don't post
    I got it the other day too. I think he's got his grumpy trousers on this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I got it the other day too. I think he's got his grumpy trousers on this week.
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by Lovethehibs View Post
    You came in with the attitude, I never said anything was a hard and fast rule, I just commented that most decent players move on at some point.

Fine if you disagree, but why jump on with ‘nonsense....”. Can’t you just chat without arguing?

You came in with the attitude, I never said anything was a hard and fast rule, I just commented that most decent players move on at some point.

Fine if you disagree, but why jump on with ‘nonsense....”. Can’t you just chat without arguing?
    I didn't come in with any attitude believe me, you stated if they were really good then players would leave, not the case for hundreds of players so clearly is nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Anyone who has had a career the length of Lewis’ at a club like Hibs is a very good player. You can’t play at that level for that long if you’re not.
    Disagree. I don’t think he’s ever been a very good player but he’s been an important part of the squad. I

I’m not intending to slaughter him or anything like that because, as I say, his legendary status isn’t in question for me. I’ve just never thought he’s what you’d call a very good player. As others have mentioned there are plenty players who make a career in Scottish football who I wouldn’t term as very good, even relative to the level.

Again, I wasn’t stating a fact, I was only passing comment ffs.

I stand by my view that most decent players move or in their career and aren’t one club players.

That one is a fact. It’s the whole reason we’ve discussing Stevenson as it’s such a rarity.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Disagree. I don’t think he’s ever been a very good player but he’s been an important part of the squad. I

I’m not intending to slaughter him or anything like that because, as I say, his legendary status isn’t in question for me. I’ve just never thought he’s what you’d call a very good player. As others have mentioned there are plenty players who make a career in Scottish football who I wouldn’t term as very good, even relative to the level.
    About a dozen managers disagree with you.

Playing for all those years for Hibs means he'll have witnessed several squad rebuilds.

I couldn't even guess how many players have been let go in that time, but Lewis always had his contract extended.

Of course there have been some journeymen in Scottish football, but they have survived by moving clubs and accepting wage reductions.

Lewis does not fall into that category. He's not a superstar, but he's been invaluable to this club.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 03-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Again, I wasn’t stating a fact, I was only passing comment ffs.

I stand by my view that most decent players move or in their career and aren’t one club players.

That one is a fact. It’s the whole reason we’ve discussing Stevenson as it’s such a rarity.
    All hopeless players move on too.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Of course, I don’t see the argument at all.

If they’re crap we get rid and if they’re really good they move on for more money or to a bigger club.

It’s always been this way as far as I can remember. Dunno why it’s being called nonsense now!!

Stevenson and Hanlon are exceptions obviously.

Of course, I don’t see the argument at all.

If they’re crap we get rid and if they’re really good they move on for more money or to a bigger club.

It’s always been this way as far as I can remember. Dunno why it’s being called nonsense now!!

Stevenson and Hanlon are exceptions obviously.

I agree with you.

The reason it's being challenged is because it's amongst posts which are deemed as critical of LS even though you said that yours wasn't.

I am certain that both Lewis and Paul have had opportunities to leave Hibs, trouser signing on fees and continue to perform at a consistently high level, but for someone else.

But they're Hibs fans and they decided that staying was more important to them than a short term boost to their bank balances.

Loads of fans say that it would be their dream to play for Hibs, and in Paul's case, captain the club. These boys have done exactly that.

About a dozen managers disagree with you.

Playing for all those years for Hibs means he'll have witnessed several squad rebuilds.

I couldn't even guess how many players have been let go in that time, but Lewis always had his contract extended.

Of course there have been some journeymen in Scottish football, but they have survived by moving clubs and accepting wage reductions.

Lewis does not fall into that category. He's not a superstar, but he's been invaluable to this club.
    Disagree with what though? I acknowledged his importance to the squad but that doesn’t necessarily mean every manager thinks he’s a very good player. There are some obvious reasons why managers would keep him but he’s went through periods of only been given a years contract at a time, not playing, not nailing down a regular position and so on.

Disagree with what though? I acknowledged his importance to the squad but that doesn’t necessarily mean every manager thinks he’s a very good player. There are some obvious reasons why managers would keep him but he’s went through periods of only been given a years contract at a time, not playing, not nailing down a regular position and so on.
    I think without exception, every manager has said that Lewis is a very good player. You don't think he is. That's the disagreement.

You're allowed your opinions obvs.

This is going to be my final post on this thread because it's just going round in daft wee circles. 🤞

I think he's a very good player, that he's been a huge asset to the club for a few months short of 16 years, and that he's a real proper legend in his own lifetime.

Anyone who disagrees with me is entitled to do so, but they couldn't be more wrong.

Hanging's too good for them.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Lewis will never be the superstar player and he'll never be just a bog standard squad players, he's been a very very steady decent pro nearly all his career, he'll be a 7 out of 10 nearly every week with only a handful of below standard games few and far between.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Yup, but usually after being dropped to the bench or a spell with the reserves.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Lewis will never be the superstar player and he'll never be just a bog standard squad players, he's been a very very steady decent pro nearly all his career, he'll be a 7 out of 10 nearly every week with only a handful of below standard games few and far between.
    Your summary says it all and would also apply to Paul Hanlon.
    Both are are model professionals and low maintenance.
    Managers have enough problems without having prima donnas moaning and whining and going in the huff if things are not going there way.
    IMO that’s why Lewis and Paul have been so long at ER.