hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lewis Stevenson

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quoted post deleted
    Sometimes I wish there was a like button on here.... would have just 'pressed' it!

Luckily, for certain other posters, there is an ignore button

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Brown is a better player sure. I still wouldn't trade Lewis for him. Wouldn't trade Lewis for anyone.
    Why wouldn't you trade Lewis Stevenson for anyone?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Good question.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    For me, at this moment in his career there’s an emotional reason - he’s a one club man who has won both cups and still has a lot to offer the first team. More importantly he is a great mentor for the likes of Josh Doig and Sean Mackie who both are able to play a more effective role in the team because of this.

He still offers Hibs a great deal and at this stage in his career for him to lose the “one club man” title and to offer the benefit of his experience elsewhere would be completely wrong.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Hes a club legend, that's why.

Left by mutual consent!
    Hes a club legend, that's why.
    Great lad and a great servant to the club.
    I don't buy into this club legend status although of course he played in 2 cup winning teams.
    These days he is a rare one club man but we all know that can only apply to players who are not really of interest to other clubs.

I don't buy into this club legend status although of course he played in 2 cup winning teams.
    These days he is a rare one club man but we all know that can only apply to players who are not really of interest to other clubs.
    He is a club legend in every way. One of our most successful ever players, played in many big wins, gives his all, over 500 games. As clear a choice as anyone for legend status.

Testimonial Due
    Do you know he hasn't had offers to move? I'm sure he has. The guy is clearly a club legend.

Left by mutual consent!
    He is a club legend in every way. One of our most successful ever players, played in many big wins, gives his all, over 500 games. As clear a choice as anyone for legend status.
    More so then than Gordon Smith who won 3 league championship medals with Hibs or Lawrie Reilly who won 38 caps and 2 league championship medals.
    Or the great Pat Stanton.
    It's embarrassing that you are making this comparison. Lewis has been a great Hibbie and as you say has given his all over 500 games. You could argue that giving your all should be a given.
    Although Lewis has played his part in many victories he was part of perhaps the most embarrassing result in the club's history and also the relegation squad of 2014.
    I apologise to Stantons Angel for this post but surely we've got to be honest when discussing our favourite football team.

@hibs.net private member G15 Hibs's Avatar
    You could argue that giving your all should be a given.
    You could argue that, but it isn't.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    More so then than Gordon Smith who won 3 league championship medals with Hibs or Lawrie Reilly who won 38 caps and 2 league championship medals.
    Can you point out where anyone has claimed that Lewis is more of a legend than Smith, Reilly or Stanton?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It's embarrassing that you are making this comparison. Lewis has been a great Hibbie and as you say has given his all over 500 games. You could argue that giving your all should be a given.
    Although Lewis has played his part in many victories he was part of perhaps the most embarrassing result in the club's history and also the relegation squad of 2014.
    I apologise to Stantons Angel for this post but surely we've got to be honest when discussing our favourite football team.
    We can't say how Smith, Reilly or Stantons' Hibs careers would have panned out had there been the same movement of players as there has been since Bosman.

What we can do is compare Lewis to his peers, and especially those in the Scottish game.

Believe me, legend is a word I almost never use when speaking about footballers, but IMO Lewis certainly deserves the accolade in a Hibs context.

Stanton lost 3 cup finals conceding 6 goals in each. Those were probably quite embarrassing results at the time. Got pumped off Hearts 4-1 after beating them 7-0 as well. Hes also won half as much as Lewis at Hibs.

See how easily the argument can be made to put down someone? Reality is, Lewis is up there with any of them. Its not embarrassing at all, I firmly believe it. Lewis is undoubtedly a Hibs legend. Stanton is a legend by all accounts, Lewis is too.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    Can you point out where anyone has claimed that Lewis is more of a legend than Smith, Reilly or Stanton?
    No one has, it was a nonsense and odd comparison. It has to be said though that some legends are more legendary than others.

I love Lewis and all he stands for in the fans eyes. One club man and I really hope he hangs up his boots with Hibs and seals the full legendary status. No one has done this at ER since Eddie Turnbull ( that I’m aware of) and I’m struggling to think of any in top flight Scottish football since I was a laddie ( John Greig, Billy McNeil and more recently, Windy Miller).
    Last edited by superfurryhibby; 30-03-2021 at 04:16 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I think you have just argued against yourself by saying clubs can have many legends.

Lewis Stevenson

Why is it embarrassing that Lewis is classed in the same bracket as the likes of Stanton, Turnbull, Reilly and co.

Lewis has something none of them has..... a Scottish Cup Winners medal with Hibs.

500 and counting club appearances
    Scottish Cup winner
    League Cup Winner
    Scottish Internationalist
    Model Pro

Lewis in my eyes is a Hibs Legend and always will be. He his up there with the others imho but for differing reasons (as are the others)

All about opinions mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lewis Stevenson is, and always will be, a legend at this club.

I thought he toiled last season and him being replaced at left back has been part of the reason we’ve improved defensively this season.

If he wanted to play regularly and went elsewhere, so be it. Arguably be better for him than his Hibs career just petering out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post
    Not sure the answer to this but would Scott Brown be the most decorated Scottish player ever in terms of domestic medals won?

Serious question.

Any links to a table of such a thing?
    Think Bobby Lennox has won more than anyone else.

Tin hat on here but Stevenson has only played 500 games for Hibs because a bigger club hasn't fancied him. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic thing to be able to say and he's won two cups during his time here and nobody can take that away from him but if he was such a fantastic player he'd have been away years ago for 2 or 3 million.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Tin hat on here but Stevenson has only played 500 games for Hibs because a bigger club hasn't fancied him. Don't get me wrong it's a fantastic thing to be able to say and he's won two cups during his time here and nobody can take that away from him but if he was such a fantastic player he'd have been away years ago for 2 or 3 million.
    He could have had a move for a higher wage earlier in his career had he asked an agent to find him one.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Been a good servant to the club, but we’ve also been good for him.

I doubt he could have played at a higher level though and he realised that himself.

If he turned down moves for bigger money, he kept it quiet.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    You’re missing the point with that point.

No one is saying Lewis is an outstanding footballer. He wouldn’t make many folks greatest all time Hibs team.

However, everyone knows he is an outstanding character, a team player who gives his best every time he plays. He’s had his ups and down, won two cups, played his part in relegation, played his part in dismal cup finals. It’s the real deal, the highs and the lows, with everything in between.

We’ll not see another like him.

He's a fantastic player in a Hibs context, the fact he's still here for this length of time playing under so many managers is a fantastic achievement in itself, never mind his 2 cup medals.

That does not mean he hasn't been a quality player for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    In years to come, people will talk about Lewis in revered terms. Absolutely no doubt about that.

And, his association with Hibs isn't over. I have no idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful coach or manager, but if he has, I am certain he'd want to work at Hibs.

It seems that people would rather bestow the status of legend on players who scored a few goals for Hibs before pissing off elsewhere to make money.

If being a one club man, with 500 appearances and 2 different cup winners medals don't make you a legend, then the term should never be used again.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    In years to come, people will talk about Lewis in revered terms. Absolutely no doubt about that.

And, his association with Hibs isn't over. I have no idea if he's got what it takes to be a successful coach or manager, but if he has, I am certain he'd want to work at Hibs.

It seems that people would rather bestow the status of legend on players who scored a few goals for Hibs before pissing off elsewhere to make money.

If being a one club man, with 500 appearances and 2 different cup winners medals don't make you a legend, then the term should never be used again.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Post of the year

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Blows my mind that people can be critical of Lewis. Has he had bad games, yes, has he had poor spells, yes. Has he played 500+ times for Hibs, winning a league cup and Scottish cup along the way, yes. Is he a model pro, yes. Does he always give 100%, yes. Is he passing on his legacy to Doig and others, yes. Is he following Hibs charity traditions, yes. Is he a genuinely nice guy, yes. All adds up to legend to me. Also I recall that when Ian McCall was manager of Motherwell he said he was desperate to sign Lewis and had made enquiries. So at least one other manager and club wanted him

Listened to the long bangers pod cast today
    Thought he came across humble when he said if he played 20 games in the top flight he would have been happy,I had to look up humility I thought it was the same as humiliated,every day is a school day,cracking pod cast and LS is a club legend 💚
    Ggtth

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Top 5 all time appearances for the club. Scottish Cup winner and League Cup winner.

If that courant get you legendary status at a club then nobody is getting it.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net