hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Joe Newell

Hybrid View

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Joe Newell

Hes played very well for us this season. Outside chance of making the England squad this summer?

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hes played very well for us this season. Outside chance of making the England squad this summer?
    Absolutely no chance whatsoever.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

No chance whatsoever.

Left by mutual consent!
    This is the biggest wind up of all time.

England now have one of the best squads in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post

Couldn't help myself

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Hibs View Post

I watched some of the game today. They are awful.
    Cougars!!!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HH81 View Post
    I watched some of the game today. They are awful.
    As an Englishman it wasnt great but we won 2-0 without getting out of reverse. If you think England are awful, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    As an Englishman it wasnt great but we won 2-0 without getting out of reverse. If you think England are awful, fair enough.
    It’s just extremely boring to watch from a neutral and understand the lack of opposition, just think with the players available should be far more expansive.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Not even close

Left by mutual consent!
    Keep taking the tablets, this is possibly the most ridiculous post I've ever read on the forum.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Great interview and seems like a nice guy.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Most chances created per game in the hibs squad this season, and more tackles and interceptions per game than any other midfielder.

Until a week or so ago, was one of the only non old firm players in the who scored team of the season so far. (Recently got replaced by odoffin which is a bit of a surprise).

Form has dropped away a wee bit in recent weeks but extending his contract was a great bit of business imo.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus52 View Post
    Most chances created per game in the hibs squad this season, and more tackles and interceptions per game than any other midfielder.

Until a week or so ago, was one of the only non old firm players in the who scored team of the season so far. (Recently got replaced by odoffin which is a bit of a surprise).

Form has dropped away a wee bit in recent weeks but extending his contract was a great bit of business imo.
    I think stats only tell a part of the full story. The stats above sound like he’s who we should be building the midfield around. He’s a good, but inconsistent player, and I’m glad he extended his deal. However I think he’s been part of a midfield that has lost more midfield battles than it has won.

That’s not to lay the blame solely at Newell, and you have to mitigate when he’s been part of a two up against 3 etc. However I think he’s the odd one out in midfield. A good player in his own right but not good enough in any one category to make that his role in the midfield. He plays in the same area as Gogic so those two don’t work and his introduction after injury seems to have impacted Irvine. As I say a good player, but I think he makes the midfield less than the sum of his parts. Gogic, Irvine and Murphy is our best and most balanced midfield IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I think stats only tell a part of the full story. The stats above sound like he’s who we should be building the midfield around. He’s a good, but inconsistent player, and I’m glad he extended his deal. However I think he’s been part of a midfield that has lost more midfield battles than it has won.

That’s not to lay the blame solely at Newell, and you have to mitigate when he’s been part of a two up against 3 etc. However I think he’s the odd one out in midfield. A good player in his own right but not good enough in any one category to make that his role in the midfield. He plays in the same area as Gogic so those two don’t work and his introduction after injury seems to have impacted Irvine. As I say a good player, but I think he makes the midfield less than the sum of his parts. Gogic, Irvine and Murphy is our best and most balanced midfield IMO.
    It gets banded about often but we haven’t lost more midfield battles than we have won this season. The majority of our best performances and results were with Newell in the midfield.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It gets banded about often but we haven’t lost more midfield battles than we have won this season. The majority of our best performances and results were with Newell in the midfield.
    Its a bit of a conundrum trying to get that balance right in midfield. With Scotty sidelined I'd say Irvine and Newell are our best or certainly better midfield players but the balance of the side with both of them in team just doesnt seem right and when they play in the same side its difficult to remember occasions when both have played well in the same side. Not quite sure what the answer is but we've struggled with that IMO to fit everyone in and then have them playing in positions where they will excel and get the best out of each other.
    Last edited by Lancs Harp; 28-03-2021 at 02:57 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    It’s all subjective, and maybe lost isn’t the best term and it would be better to say the midfield struggled/didn’t win the battle, and I’ve not watched all that many away games this season. From the games I’ve seen where we lost the midfield with Newel I believe playing.

Motherwell at home x2
    Aberdeen x2
    St Johnstone at home
    Ross County at home
    Livingston at home
    St Johnstone in the cup

The midfield has looked a lot better since the additions of Irvine & Cadden. Anyway, my post was more about Newell than debating the games I felt we lost the midfield battle.

It’s all subjective, and maybe lost isn’t the best term and it would be better to say the midfield struggled/didn’t win the battle, and I’ve not watched all that many away games this season. From the games I’ve seen where we lost the midfield with Newel I believe playing.

Motherwell at home x2
    Aberdeen x2
    St Johnstone at home
    Ross County at home
    Livingston at home
    St Johnstone in the cup

The midfield has looked a lot better since the additions of Irvine & Cadden. Anyway, my post was more about Newell than debating the games I felt we lost the midfield battle.

It feels a bit like the same posters (me included) have debated this all season and nobody is changing their mind. Never mind let’s keep doing it anyway....

Firstly. You’ve listed virtually every game Hibs have lost or played poorly here. That somehow is directed at Newell but no other individuals? Why is that?

Second point re stats and analysis. IMO they are often dismissed on here far too casually. Assists for example is actually a stat that can be misleading but is actually valued by many on this board.

However what Fergus52 detailed is the WhoScored scoring of each player. For Newell that includes interceptions, tackles, pass completion, chances created. It’s entirely objective. I’m interested as to why exactly this only tells “part of the story”? It measures all the things a midfielder needs to do. Newell excels at all of them against his peers in the league. It’s an unbiased view which shows how good he is. It can’t really be argued with IMO.

Gamer IDs

I agree that the balance has been off in recent weeks and on recent form its probably Newall who should be dropped.

Hasn't quite worked the last few weeks but I still think a midfield with Newall, Irvine and Gogic in it could do well in the right system/formation.

Don't think the bit in bold is fair, you listed a few games where the whole team performance was bad, we never lost the midfield battle in those games just due to Newell. To counter that you can look at games like Motherwell and Hamilton away, when Hallberg was bombing forward in a 442 and Newell was the only deep player in midfield pretty much single handedly winning us the midfield battle. Campbell was completely in his back pocket that match, lost count of the amount of times Newell dispossed him.

You're right stats don't tell the full story, but plenty nonsense gets posted about Newell that those stats help to address. Posters say he does nothing defensively and lets games pass him by, but he wins more tackles and interceptions than Gogic. Posters say that he never plays the ball forward and always needlessly passes back to defenders, but he has created more chances per game than any other player in our squad this season.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Newell or Irvine seems to be a popular debate on here.

Personally I would start Newell and choose between either Irvine or Gogic depending on opposition & other factors.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't rate him. I'm hoping we get a better version of him in the next window and he becomes a backup squad player.

I'm not sure about this whole stats business.

They tend to exist to convince you that what you know from seeing with your own eyes isn't true.

Sure, they have a place, but I'm not overly convinced.

Newell - ANOTHER hot and cold player. Has very good games, has very poor games. Our team hasn't looked as good since he came back into it. At times, when the team is on song and he's being played in a position that suits him he's a sublime player.

Nice set piece delivery too. Not sure why we persist with players taking them who are clearly far inferior to him at that.

Hopeless as a goal threat through. He has a nice habit of arriving at a good time, and occasionally has been found with very good cutbacks but his shooting from around the box has been pitiful at times. Having watching him and seen the ability he clearly has you'd expect to see much better from him.

Certainly a player worth holding onto though, and you do feel that with a wee re-shuffle he could be a big part of a very strong team.
    Last edited by Smartie; 29-03-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm not sure about this whole stats business.

They tend to exist to convince you that what you know from seeing with your own eyes isn't true.

Sure, they have a place, but I'm not overly convinced.
    If anything its the opposite - everyone watching football has subconscious biases about players they like, how they generally see the game etc. Looking at stats never tells the whole picture but it helps cut through that bias with a bit of objectivity.

I don't understand this false dichotomy a lot of football fans like to push that judging a player with your eyes or by using stats are diametrically opposed.