hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Why are countries taking part in qualification process ?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Surely Scotland have already done their bit by selflessly boycotting every World Cup since 1998? Let’s just try and take part in this one.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Topic reminds me when Scotland played in Chile prior to Argentina 1978

We played a friendly at the invite of a dictatorship in Santiago ,Chile 1977, to warm up for our participation in Argentina'78, a Country which itself was, like Chile, under a military dictatorship.

World Cup Finals and Olympic Games during the 20th Century were played in Countries run by governments/regimes many at the time found offensive and brutal.

Money talks, and that is the only reason (and way)Qatar got the Finals.
    Shameful, but no surprise to me.
    FIFA has been rotten to the core for decades.

The "Match of shame" article in link below.

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-cu...-shame-1433958

Out of interest
    There is a documentary still available on BBC IPlayer
    Title
    "Pele ,Argentina and the Dictators".
    Worth watching
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 28-03-2021 at 09:09 PM.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    FIFA and The Olympic committee should have ethical standards and policies.

They most certainly do.

Stifle your laughs at the back please.

anti bribery
    anti corruption
    anti money laundering
    anti slave labour

it only should they have them but implement them - the problem is that policies tend to put the onus on the individual.

I don’t think games should be hosted in solely one country. Countries (such as Brazil) should never be prioritising building Stadia (in the Amazon where in the end I don’t think it was used) over building hospitals and investing in education.

So countries that sign up to hosting the Olympics or World Cup should be assessed on criteria including such as those above - not merely the dosh to carry things off.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm personally not going to watch it, even if Scotland qualify. I'll admit I've probably drifted away from international football over the years so it's maybe not as big a thing for me to miss a World Cup as it would have been 10-15 years ago but it's an absolute disgrace, and corruption on such an obvious and staggeringly level, that they are hosting it.

I'd love to see Scotland do whatever we can to highlight the issues. Slave labour and deaths obviously top of the list but their record on so many issues, including LGBT, it's shocking.

Next up it'll be hosted in North Korea, Saudi Arabia or Myanmar if they pay enough.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FIFA and The Olympic committee should have ethical standards and policies.

They most certainly do.

Stifle your laughs at the back please.

anti bribery
    anti corruption
    anti money laundering
    anti slave labour

it only should they have them but implement them - the problem is that policies tend to put the onus on the individual.

I don’t think games should be hosted in solely one country. Countries (such as Brazil) should never be prioritising building Stadia (in the Amazon where in the end I don’t think it was used) over building hospitals and investing in education.

So countries that sign up to hosting the Olympics or World Cup should be assessed on criteria including such as those above - not merely the dosh to carry things off.
    Agree with the shared hosting. What is going to happen to all these stadia in Qatar? I know they are loaded with oil money now but that gravy train is coming to an end.

I was initially against the new format of the Euros as I but its actually a much better format and allows many more people to have a chance of seeing their country play, creating a much better atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    Agree with the shared hosting. What is going to happen to all these stadia in Qatar? I know they are loaded with oil money now but that gravy train is coming to an end.

I was initially against the new format of the Euros as I but its actually a much better format and allows many more people to have a chance of seeing their country play, creating a much better atmosphere.
    They are being dismantled and sold, brick by brick.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post

The format being used for Euro 2020 is just a one off, the tournament goes back to being held in one country in 2024 (Germany from memory I think)

The issue is that the World Cup should never have been played in a country with a population of less than 3 million of whom 320,000 are citizens.

We all know it only went to Qatar because of the brown envelopes received by Platini and other FIFA officials. The whole thing is a total farce. Platini and others were kicked out of FIFA but the decision was not changed.

Qatar has next to no football infrastructure and they are building five new 45,000 capacity stadiums. What the hell will happen to them afterwards no-one knows? Six large stadia for a country with half the population of Scotland is a bad joke.

The deaths are all down to working conditions with the temperature of over 40 degees C from May to September.

The protests should be about the level of corruption in World Football administration whuch allowed this to happen.

Apart from anything else it really is going to mess up the football calender for the season after next.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Hence why Scotland won't be taking part in any protests. That friendly at ER all those years ago wasn't for nothing.

One of those stadiums or parts thereof will be sitting in Mount Florida by the mid 2020s.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    There was definitely talk of that a while back. Interesting to see if anything comes of it or if it was conspiracy theory stuff.

Believe that and you will believe anything!

Looks like we're planning on doing our usual World Cup Finals 'boycott' after all.

Coaching Staff
    Yes, we should definitely make it clear we will be boycotting Qatar.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    NOW is an ideal time to protest

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Qatar are not perfect, rather like the UAE, but in the League Table of Human Rights abusers they are way down the list. Way behind the likes of China, Iran and even Trump’s USA.

Is it now?

Testimonial Due
    We really should not be playing sport in countries with a human rights record like Qatar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

I have travelled via Qatar several times on my own and had no issues. Two years ago I travelled with my wife who is a Filipino national. Despite having a valid visa to enter the UK she was detained and questioned for an hour. The country like most Middle Eastern countries is fundamentally racist.

Bahrain is another and I noticed
    That Lewis Hamilton despite all his BLM activity made no mention of the situation in the country this weekend at the F1 race. Money talks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Bahrain
    Last edited by FilipinoHibs; 29-03-2021 at 07:02 AM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    We would probably need to get in around 2pm to see the players kneel, hold racism cards up, tie their multicoloured boot laces, and do every other support act they will need to do soon for a 3pm kick off.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Anyone taking part in these protests also needs to stop going to Dubai on holiday.

Dubai is still being built on the backs of slave labour from SE Asia, Bagladesh, India, Pakistan and more countries.

If you scratch the surface even a little bit you can see it as plain as day.

Qatar is just as bad if not worse, even westerners working there will have their employer hold their passport and you have to be granted permission to leave the country. That should worry anyone who really thinks about what you are giving up when you do that. 100 times worse when you are being paid buttons and living in squalor just to build a stadium that will possibly not even be used after the world cup.

People may argue that sports shouldn't get involved in politics but that ignores the fact that these regimes are guilty of sportwashing their humans rights abuses. How can sport not become involved in that when it is being used as a pawn in a bigger game?

The Saudi Cup has just usurped the Dubai World Cup as the richest horse race in the world, the Joshua v Fury fight looks set to go there, the World Cup is going to Qatar, the 2022 winter Olympics is going to China. Arabtec sponsoring Man City, the Qatari ownership of PSG.... If we want to look at Europe then the prominence of MTK Global in boxing is a blatant example of sportwashing and money laundering combined.

How do you disentangle sport from that and say we shouldn't get involved in politics? Refusing to award these countries the events is politics, attending and facilitating the sportwashing is politics, protesting against it is politics.....
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Sep Blatter was elected president of FIFA in 1998.

Scotland has made a point of boycotting every World Cup and European finals since then.

Don't say we're not doing our bit.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    People may argue that sports shouldn't get involved in politics but that ignores the fact that these regimes are guilty of sportwashing their humans rights abuses. How can sport not become involved in that when it is being used as a pawn in a bigger game?

The Saudi Cup has just usurped the Dubai World Cup as the richest horse race in the world, the Joshua v Fury fight looks set to go there, the World Cup is going to Qatar, the 2022 winter Olympics is going to China. Arabtec sponsoring Man City, the Qatari ownership of PSG.... If we want to look at Europe then the prominence of MTK Global in boxing is a blatant example of sportwashing and money laundering combined.

How do you disentangle sport from that and say we shouldn't get involved in politics? Refusing to award these countries the events is politics, attending and facilitating the sportwashing is politics, protesting against it is politics.....

Yes, FIFA should have refused Qatar the right to host the World Cup.

People should absolutely stop going to these places on holiday.

Qatar are not perfect, rather like the UAE, but in the League Table of Human Rights abusers they are way down the list. Way behind the likes of China, Iran and even Trump’s USA.
    😮 We are honoured. I had no idea David Beckham posted on this forum.

Left by mutual consent!
    They're not tokenism. They are serious and its good. Withdrawing from the tournament would have much less effect than going to it and highlighting the abuses there. I hope they qualifiy and keep the protest up.
    They are tokenism tho. If the players/association really had any strong thoughts on this they would refuse to play in qualifiers, never mind the tournament. Money talks tho and if a country qualifies, you can bet your life they’ll be at tournament.

And if the players are that concerned, why not donate their wages from the tournament to the workers and/or surviving families.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    They are tokenism tho. If the players/association really had any strong thoughts on this they would refuse to play in qualifiers, never mind the tournament. Money talks tho and if a country qualifies, you can bet your life they’ll be at tournament.

And if the players are that concerned, why not donate their wages from the tournament to the workers and/or surviving families.
    Donating money to the workers doesn't solve the problem. Anything raising awareness is useful, ultimately the players can't do anything that will stop this happening unless all players agree not to attend the tournament.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
    Donating money to the workers doesn't solve the problem. Anything raising awareness is useful, ultimately the players can't do anything that will stop this happening unless all players agree not to attend the tournament.
    Which is exactly my point. It’s tokenism from players as they know nothing will change and they will take the money from FIFA/Associations/Sponsors

Amnesty calls for FIFA to act, set up $440 million fund for abused workers and slave labourers.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ca...kers-in-qatar/

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Amnesty calls for FIFA to act, set up $440 million fund for abused workers and slave labourers.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ca...kers-in-qatar/
    And FIFA will come up with some bs why they can’t/ won’t/ shouldn’t get involved in compensating workers

Agree. I spend a bit of time in this part of the world and it has its shortcomings with regards to human rights but let’s not believe it has a monopoly on it. There are significant human rights issues throughout the western world and simply smacks of tokenism when people start pointing their finger at the Middle East.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    The World Cup should be awarded to either a football nation or a developing football nation to help progress the game. Qatar is neither. Throw in it’s horrendous human rights record and lack of facilities to cope with such an event and it should not be hosting. It’s should be an honour and privilege to host the World Cup.

I follow Scotland home and away, rarely miss a game but will not be going anywhere near Doha should we qualify.