hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marco Van Basten

Marco Van Basten urging FIFA to scrap the off-side rule in Football. Detractors claim it would lead to "carnage" whilst supporters of the idea believe it would make the game more exciting. I might just be with Marco on this one!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Perhaps worth trialing in pre season friendlys although I don’t think it would work. Some changes could be good though. At a minimum it needs to be a case of it in doubt favour the attacker. VAR checking to see if a fingernail was offside is killing the game. Fans want goals!

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    It's a daft idea, but no surprise that it's a striker that suggested it. 😁

There would be literally no football played in the central 50 yards or more. (Yes, even less than there is now before a wag says it!)

Strikers would just run left to right around 20 yards out, hoping to find a bit of space. Defenders would try to get the ball to them asap.

It would be horrible.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 25-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.

What a goal from SJM

Oops wrong thread 😎

It would lead to hoofball, lots of goals, but hoofball.

EZ

Would be as well letting them pass the ball forward in Rugby as well then.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eezyrider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would lead to hoofball, lots of goals, but hoofball.

EZ
    yep, pretty much. It would remove all the artistry from the game. Working your way through a defence is like picking a lock.

and watching Scott Allan destroy an opposing teams offside trap with a delicious slide rule pass is one of life’s great pleasures
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 25-03-2021 at 08:56 PM.

@hibs.net private member Newry Hibs's Avatar
    Would be like playground football

There is a reason the off side rule came into football.

That’ll bring a chequered flag to the game imo

Quote Originally Posted by StirlingHibee View Post
    Marco Van Basten urging FIFA to scrap the off-side rule in Football. Detractors claim it would lead to "carnage" whilst supporters of the idea believe it would make the game more exciting. I might just be with Marco on this one!
    Are you actually being serious? If so I'm guessing that you haven't played the game at any level?
    The offside rule is one of the most fundamental things that make fitbaw the greatest game ever played. You would end up with players just hanging around the 18 yard box looking for a long punt up the park and would end up with the game looking more like basket ball than football

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member malcolm's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Think it was in the drybrough cup in the 70’s they did the experimental offside not applied beyond a line level with the box. Apart from hibs winning the cup twice I don’t think it was much of a success.

No offside hoofball would be worse than the microscopically defined offsides being called by the EPL’s idiotic implementation of VAR..

6-0-4 would be the default formation and 5-0-5 for attacking sides.

There would be zero football and total hoofball. Is van Basten a closet Jambo?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's a daft idea, but no surprise that it's a striker that suggested it. 😁

There would be literally no football played in the central 50 yards or more. (Yes, even less than there is now before a wag says it!)

Strikers would just run left to right around 20 yards out, hoping to find a bit of space. Defenders would try to get the ball to them asap.

It would be horrible.

It would, but the current law needs a tweak. VAR has chalked off a load of good goals because the scorer is millimetres in front. It’s ridiculous.

Didn’t they trial this in the league cup, maybe 40 or so years ago? Seem to remember it wasn’t a success, just encouraged poaching. I might be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Spence View Post
    Are you actually being serious? If so I'm guessing that you haven't played the game at any level?
    The offside rule is one of the most fundamental things that make fitbaw the greatest game ever played. You would end up with players just hanging around the 18 yard box looking for a long punt up the park and would end up with the game looking more like basket ball than football

That's really not fair on basketball.

Limits on movement, passing and the goal being 8ft above your head.

Table tennis might be a better metaphor, but the pretentiousness can sit outside imo.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I’m not sure about StirlingHibee however the boy Van Basten that has suggested the idea played football to a no bad level.

He might have been part of the AC Milan team that won the league scoring 36 goals all season so the poor guy is probably just desperate to see some goals.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I’m not sure about StirlingHibee however the boy Van Basten that has suggested the idea played football to a no bad level.

He might have been part of the AC Milan team that won the league scoring 36 goals all season so the poor guy is probably just desperate to see some goals.
    I totally get what Marco van Basten done on the park but he wouldn't be the first football player to be way off the mark when it comes down to their stance on what rules etc should be done away with in the game

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I totally get what Marco van Basten done on the park but he wouldn't be the first football player to be way off the mark when it comes down to their stance on what rules etc should be done away with in the game

Agreed.

I was just laughing that you were questioning the credibility of the poster who cautiously backed the idea saying he couldn’t have played at any level when the guy that suggested it was one if the best strikers of all time and played in one of the best club sides of all time.

I think the idea is stupid and it won’t go any further, that’s nothing to do with not playing at a good level though.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    It would, but the current law needs a tweak. VAR has chalked off a load of good goals because the scorer is millimetres in front. It’s ridiculous.
    It's frustrating, to say the least, but it'll be difficult to resolve.

Personally, I think that offside should measured from where a player's feet are, regardless of where his shoulder or head are.

It might not stop the intricate measuring, but it would bring it into line with how a referee decides if a foul was committed in or out of the penalty box.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Agreed.

I was just laughing that you were questioning the credibility of the poster who cautiously backed the idea saying he couldn’t have played at any level when the guy that suggested it was one if the best strikers of all time and played in one of the best club sides of all time.

I think the idea is stupid and it won’t go any further, that’s nothing to do with not playing at a good level though.
    I agree with you bingo and it's just that ludicrous to think that anyone including MVB who has played the game would think that scrapping offside would be a great idea? It's bonkers and I also didn't mean to down basketball either dinkydoo I was just trying to imagine a game without offside and the flow of the game would resemble a basketball game and it would be a matter of getting the ball into the oppositions box as quickly as possible and you would have players (goalies excluded) not coming outside the 18 yard box the whole game

@hibs.net private member
    I'd like to see it or variation of offside like in Hockey being tried. It doesn't sound like it would work but who knows and it might even stop the richer teams winning everything. Hail Mary after Hail Mary may be better to watch that launching diagonals and tippy tappy sideways rubbish that much of todays football is. VAR and the current Offside rule don't complement each other and the football authorities have not really done much to improve the game unlike Rugby Union etc. I'd much rather sin bins were tried first though

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
    Would be as well letting them pass the ball forward in Rugby as well then.
    I read somewhere that in one of the early formulations of football rules they had to pass the ball backwards as in rugby. When this requirement was abolished it was felt necessary to introduce an offside rule.

I think what happened in the Dryburgh Cup was that the 18 yard line was used as the offside line and this was extended all the way to the touchline.

So offside was still played but only from the 18 yard line so what strikers did was just stand on the 18 yard line and use that as their base.

Didn't seem to make much difference but ablolishing offside altogether just leads to almighty hoofs up the pitch.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    Didn’t they trial this in the league cup, maybe 40 or so years ago? Seem to remember it wasn’t a success, just encouraged poaching. I might be wrong though.
    I think it might have been the Drybourgh cup from the 18 yard line? Can remember my dad talking about it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    It's frustrating, to say the least, but it'll be difficult to resolve.

Personally, I think that offside should measured from where a player's feet are, regardless of where his shoulder or head are.

It might not stop the intricate measuring, but it would bring it into line with how a referee decides if a foul was committed in or out of the penalty box.
    Totally agree

First Team Regular
    Im not for it necessarily, but i would be interested to see the result.

Im not sure it would lead to the hoofball people say, certainly at the top level, as hoofball is not a good way to keep posession, and there would also be little or no space in behind defences to hoof it into to turn them.

I wonder if it would also see a flourishing of midfielders, as there would be an increase in space in the middle of the park - so guys who can pick and run with the ball might be more valuable.

It would certainly end the current pressing game, thats for sure!

I suspect its a daft idea, but id be curious to see a few games with it as an experiment.

Footage below of Hibs v Celtic in the Dryborough Cup Final with a modified offside rule. You can see the extended line at the edge of the penalty box.

https://youtu.be/fX9n4156lsU
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I think it's a non starter but would be really interested to see it trialled.

A better idea is to update offside rules for the VAR age.