hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member

Will clubs retain PPV when crowds are allowed back in?

Just wondering if some clubs will actually retain PPV once things gets back to normal.

I am a season ticket holder so would normally be at the game but there will be circumstances were fans can't get to games (kids etc) so watching it via PPV would be another revenue stream for the club.

Also, away fans may purchase PPV to watch their team at Easter Rd. I've certainly seen more away games this season than I have in the past few years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just wondering if some clubs will actually retain PPV once things gets back to normal.

I am a season ticket holder so would normally be at the game but there will be circumstances were fans can't get to games (kids etc) so watching it via PPV would be another revenue stream for the club.

Also, away fans may purchase PPV to watch their team at Easter Rd. I've certainly seen more away games this season than I have in the past few years
    It would require the continued cooperation of the TV companies, so probably not.

Costing would be a nightmare, i complained about paying £20 to watch Livingston away but that only works out £5 per head in this family, a fraction of what it would cost for 4 away tickets.

Yes while there are restrictions on crowd numbers but not when normal numbers are allowed in

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I'd love to see it offered to compliment the TV company's offering.

I would think Sky will know how big an impact it has had on their subscriptions and/or viewing figures and I think if they did the same where they approved all games not included in their coverage, then it's in everybody's interests to do it. More revenue for the teams, better players, better offering for the tv companies to show...

People who want to go to away games will still go to away games, for those that can't it's a great way to follow your team.

I'm all for it, and I would hope Hibs and the other clubs are already on the front foot trying to make it happen.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'd love to see it offered to compliment the TV company's offering.

I would think Sky will know how big an impact it has had on their subscriptions and/or viewing figures and I think if they did the same where they approved all games not included in their coverage, then it's in everybody's interests to do it. More revenue for the teams, better players, better offering for the tv companies to show...

People who want to go to away games will still go to away games, for those that can't it's a great way to follow your team.

I'm all for it, and I would hope Hibs and the other clubs are already on the front foot trying to make it happen.
    It’s the one thing that has been decent, my dads getting on and not always up for the travel to the game and he’s loved being able to watch the Hibs every week. It would be great if he was someway able to continue that going forward.

No chance I would have thought.

I can't see clubs offering six people (for example) the chance to all watch it together for a combined total of £15 when they could make about 10 times that figure from all of these people attending in person.

I understand not everyone who is watching on TV just now will want to continue watching on TV once crowds are allowed back in and some of the people watching on TV wouldn't have gone to the games anyway so that's additional revenue that they wouldn't have got anyway.

However taking my own situation as an example, I have bought a stream for every away game so far this season and three of us have watched the games. I may continue to do that if it was an option, particularly for games a bit further away, and instead of getting three entry fees they would only be getting one entry fee (and a reduced one at that).

It will be a non-starter for me.

Sky unlikely to cooperate but don’t think the clubs will be fussed either. They’ll want to do everything they can to encourage folk in to the ground without giving them a reason not to go.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I think clubs are missing a trick if they see it that way.

For a start, nothing beats being there in person. People who love football will always rather be at the game if they can, than watch on TV. The number of people who switch from away attendees to armchair viewers will be negligible IMHO.

However, the number of people who would watch the game if it was available but don't/can't go to away games would be much higher, and actually if folk are watching and it looks good, they're more inclined to want to get to games instead of watching TV in the long run anyway.

Sky are only bothered about showing 2 clubs, really - if they could show Rangers one week and Celtic the next all season then they're not bothered their backside if Kilmarnock fans are watching their team at St Mirren on the TV.

There's a ton of potential there if the clubs and the broadcasters get together to do something. The folk that run the game in Scotland need to be all over stuff like this.

Could even do a subscription based SPL TV for non-televised games. Protect Sky's interests and let the clubs generate pooled income from it. It's not a terrible idea.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    Hope so, for people like me that live in the country but too far away to travel every week.

Only missed one game all season, its brilliant!
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

@hibs.net private member

For a start, nothing beats being there in person. People who love football will always rather be at the game if they can, than watch on TV. The number of people who switch from away attendees to armchair viewers will be negligible IMHO.

However, the number of people who would watch the game if it was available but don't/can't go to away games would be much higher, and actually if folk are watching and it looks good, they're more inclined to want to get to games instead of watching TV in the long run anyway.

Sky are only bothered about showing 2 clubs, really - if they could show Rangers one week and Celtic the next all season then they're not bothered their backside if Kilmarnock fans are watching their team at St Mirren on the TV.

There's a ton of potential there if the clubs and the broadcasters get together to do something. The folk that run the game in Scotland need to be all over stuff like this.

Could even do a subscription based SPL TV for non-televised games. Protect Sky's interests and let the clubs generate pooled income from it. It's not a terrible idea.
    It’s like the SPL TV idea that was laughed out years ago isn’t it?

As you say tv only want Rangers and Celtic - look at Premier Sports cup coverage next week where all the best games are on bbc.

If they don’t do it and make money from it it’ll be the iptv guys that cash in.

I don’t see the potential with it. I don’t think there is enough people to reach for it to be worthwhile for a club like us. The people who want to watch games online will have already been doing it and it’ll no doubt be cheaper and not limited to their own club.

Would be interested to see what our PPV figures are this year. With the exception of the Celtic 3pm game, I don’t think we’ll have sold too many.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Paying for PPV on top of your Sky / BT / Premier Sports subs?

I think the whole model needs to be rethought. Season ticket model persists but that must be under threat.

Some subscription based approach should be considered but it won’t.

The trouble with all of this is that one revenue stream or payment method potentially “cannibalises” another.

So next steps need to be chosen carefully.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I think this is way wide of the mark. The whole financial thrust of the club will be to have fans spending money in and around the club. It certainly doesn't include a family of four sitting at home watching a game for the price of one ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I think this is way wide of the mark. The whole financial thrust of the club will be to have fans spending money in and around the club. It certainly doesn't include a family of four sitting at home watching a game for the price of one ticket.
    True, however the whole idea of PPV staying is irrelevant as once full crowds are back in the 3pm blackout will be back too. So the vast majority of games wouldn’t even be allowed to be shown and 7:45 games on european game nights wouldn’t be either.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    It's unlikely but I would love it, I don't go to many away games but have watched every one possible this year. I think the clubs will be missing a trick if they don't find a way. Most top flight clubs have their own TV now anyways. I bet those would work with a VPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    It's unlikely but I would love it, I don't go to many away games but have watched every one possible this year. I think the clubs will be missing a trick if they don't find a way. Most top flight clubs have their own TV now anyways. I bet those would work with a VPN.
    They do work with a decent VPN. IPTV providers have the 'international' version of the club channels as well.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I don’t see the potential with it. I don’t think there is enough people to reach for it to be worthwhile for a club like us. The people who want to watch games online will have already been doing it and it’ll no doubt be cheaper and not limited to their own club.

Would be interested to see what our PPV figures are this year. With the exception of the Celtic 3pm game, I don’t think we’ll have sold too many.
    We already broadcast the games for overseas hibs fans, the cost to the club wouldn’t be much higher. I’d imagine the pre match show might go if the numbers aren’t there to justify it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We already broadcast the games for overseas hibs fans, the cost to the club wouldn’t be much higher. I’d imagine the pre match show might go if the numbers aren’t there to justify it.
    It’s not the cost to us that would be the problem, it’s the potential cost to away teams if more fans decided not to travel.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    It’s not the cost to us that would be the problem, it’s the potential cost to away teams if more fans decided not to travel.
    I can’t see it affecting away attendance that much, but I suppose that’s something that would need to be monitored.

United we stand here....

I want the streams to stay and would even pay the gate price for it every week.

Infact the club could add it to a season ticket if possible either actual attendance or stream. That would be ideal.
    Cougars!!!

The football experience is about watching the games from the stands.

Habit soon becomes the norm, and the habit is now of watching the game at home. A parent with two kids can save a lot of money over a season by watching at home and dispensing with season tickets.

We want to encourage people to come to the stadium, home or away, not sit in the house.

Of course there will still be the folks that treat the game as a day out with a few bevvies, and they won't contemplate changing that routine, but there are many, and some in my circle of family/friends, who are seriously reconsidering whether to buy STs in the present climate, on the basis that the guarantee of unrestricted attendance seems a long way off yet.

I don't want the carrot of being able to watch the game at home on a wet and cold winter's day.

We need to get back to no TV football on Saturday afternoons as soon as we can.