hibs.net Messageboard

Anyone been to the Cheltenham festival..?

Hi folks,

Me and a few of my mates are going to book tickets for Cheltenham next year. For those who’ve been before just looking for any tips or suggestions. What’s it like, dress code, anything worthwhile really.

We’re planning on staying in Birmingham and getting to and from it each day. Wednesday to Friday but heading down to Brum early on Tuesday to watch the races there.

Can’t wait!

Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I went in 2012, stayed in Birmingham from Thursday to Sunday and went to Cheltenham for Gold Cup Day on the Friday. Birmingham was great, especially over the weekend, which was Paddy's Day. Digbeth was jumping. The train to Cheltenham was very well organised and a good laugh. That's where the fun ended. From the minute we got off the train the day turned into an utter shambles. The town simply can not cope with the size of crowds. Took forever to get to the course on the 'shuttle bus'. In fact we ended up getting off and walking the last couple of miles. We arrived at the turnstile around an hour before the first race yet only got in just as the 2nd race was going off. Huge crushes outside and again once inside. Huge queues for a pint or burger and you could barely see the racing. Being a festival goer and having attended many huge sporting events, I'm used to crowds but this was ridiculous. Felt very unsafe and the course was way too busy. After the racing we had a few pints in town but couldn't get back to Brum quickly enough.

It was 9 years ago though and I think more enclosures have opened since then but I vowed never to return. I have mates who go year in, year out and love it but I've had much better times at Ayr, Perth, Mussy etc. I've got a few pals who go abroad for Chelts week and sit in a sunny pub watch on the telly instead and that's definitely the way to go IMHO.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi folks,

Me and a few of my mates are going to book tickets for Cheltenham next year. For those who’ve been before just looking for any tips or suggestions. What’s it like, dress code, anything worthwhile really.

We’re planning on staying in Birmingham and getting to and from it each day. Wednesday to Friday but heading down to Brum early on Tuesday to watch the races there.

Can’t wait!

Thanks
    Been going every year since 95 and no place like it really, atmosphere is electric, it is busy but since it’s been redeveloped I feel there’s more than enough room now, obviously it’s pricey at the course but that’s too be expected. Usually get a seat in the centaur stand in between races if you feel the need!

Been a few times. Usually stay in Bristol rather than Birmingham and travel up.

Pay the extra for Club Enclosure tickets. Spend a bit of time having a look around. Cheltenham is jump racings Wembley or Monte Carlo so it's worth spending an hour away from the bookies and the bar.

Arrive early. As said above the town is heaving during the Festival. We usually aim to be on the 9ish train out of Bristol and on a shuttle bus early doors, the closer you get to off time the busier it gets. It's a fair hike to walk from the station to the racecourse.

There's no formal dress code but a lot of guys makes the effort with shirts and ties or lean towards the smart end of smart casual.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Hi folks,

Can’t wait!

Thanks
    I go every year and stay in Birmingham. You want to be leaving brum early to avoid the queue at the train station, when you arrive in Cheltenham you have to queue to get out of the train station as there’s so many people getting on the shuttle bus. My advice would be to not bother with the shuttle bus, there’s a walkway as you come out of the station that will take you into the centre of Cheltenham, just as you come to the end of the walkway there’s a cracking wee pub called The Bayshill. It does a cracking breakfast and it’s got a beer garden, it’s busy, but not as bad as a lot of the other pubs. When you come out of there you can either walk up to the course if you’ve got time or get either a local bus or one of the shuttle buses from the centre of Cheltenham. We go back to the same pub after it and they’ve always got live music on. Some of the other pubs are ridiculously busy and you want to avoid those. There’s plenty other pubs in Cheltenham that aren’t anywhere near as busy as the obvious ones in the centre.
    There’s a guy on here that’s got a couple of pubs in Cheltenham that would be able to help with ideas for places to eat and drink.

United we stand here....

Early bird tickets for 2022 are on sale as of now.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Cheers for the replies folk. Not sure hot to do the multiple reply thing. All the input is invaluable!

I reckon it seems like -

we should aim to be there as early as we can.

It’s going to be heaving getting there and inside

Try and get upgrades

We’ve also got out tickets sorted!

Not long now until me and my mates head to Cheltenham! Can’t wait!

Any other tips are greatly appreciated

Thinking of going down for a day or two at the start of the week myself now, given flights are very reasonable from Edinburgh to Birmingham/Bristol.

Just need to figure out the best way to do things, with potentially only staying over one night

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Thinking of going down for a day or two at the start of the week myself now, given flights are very reasonable from Edinburgh to Birmingham/Bristol.

Just need to figure out the best way to do things, with potentially only staying over one night
    Done it a few years ago. We flew to Bristol and stayed there. Regular trains from Bristol to Cheltenham (approx 1 hour) and then they lay on buses from train station to races. Birmingham also be good option as base as well

Quote Originally Posted by DJ HIBBY View Post
    Done it a few years ago. We flew to Bristol and stayed there. Regular trains from Bristol to Cheltenham (approx 1 hour) and then they lay on buses from train station to races. Birmingham also be good option as base as well
    Aye I did Bristol just like you’ve described, years ago, and worked well! Think I’m giving it a miss this time though.. tv and a few beers will work!

We stayed in Gloucester when we went, still busy but, not to the manic levels of Cheltenham, doubt I could be arsed with that anymore to be honest, might have to try a wee trip abroad to watch it.

We stayed in Gloucester when we went, still busy but, not to the manic levels of Cheltenham, doubt I could be arsed with that anymore to be honest, might have to try a wee trip abroad to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Now you’re talking my language, Hutch.

Somewhere with a fair time difference just to really shake things up.

Away to Birmingham today then off to Cheltenham tomorrow

Can’t. Flipping. Wait

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Away to Birmingham today then off to Cheltenham tomorrow

Can’t. Flipping. Wait
    I’m heading to Birmingham tomorrow and heading over to Cheltenham on Thursday Friday.

United we stand here....