hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

Frankie Boyle v Kevin Bridges

What do you think? First saw Frankie Boyle in a tent at Murrayfield before an England Scotland rugby game (Scotland won btw) I thought he was hilarious, as time went on his act got a bit more edgy lets say. Kevin Bridges is currently my favourite comedian fullstop. What are your views/thoughts?

Left by mutual consent!
    Frankie Boyle is a very clever comedian but if he verbally attacked one of my loved ones as he's prone to do I'd punch his lights out.

Kevin Bridges...Too weedgie for me.

You can maybe tell I'm not a fan of modern comedy.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What do you think? First saw Frankie Boyle in a tent at Murrayfield before an England Scotland rugby game (Scotland won btw) I thought he was hilarious, as time went on his act got a bit more edgy lets say. Kevin Bridges is currently my favourite comedian fullstop. What are your views/thoughts?
    I recently listened to a podcast of FB. You wouldn't even recognise it was him, not a swear word in sight, it was a decent listen & is an intelligent guy. He originally started back in the day writing comedy for a lot of top acts Jimmy Carr being one. IIRC he had a child & needed a better income so started up himself as a stand up comedian.

Frankie Boyle for me.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsnoteasy View Post
    I recently listened to a podcast of FB. You wouldn't even recognise it was him, not a swear word in sight, it was a decent listen & is an intelligent guy. He originally started back in the day writing comedy for a lot of top acts Jimmy Carr being one. IIRC he had a child & needed a better income so started up himself as a stand up comedian.

Frankie Boyle for me.
    Was that the Louis Theroux podcast? I listened to that one and Boyle came across well and is an intelligent guy. I’ve never been much of a fan of his “shock jock” comedy though.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    FB is a very clever guy. He wins it for me but they’re both very funny. Kevin Bridges story about booking a holiday with his mates is hilarious.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Frankie Boyle is tragic and not as half as clever as he thinks he is. Much prefer Daniel Sloss who is genuinely as sharp as a tack but is also funny.

Kevin Bridges is just a naturally funny person.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I’ve seen them both many times, but I think they’re totally different types of comedian so it’s difficult to compare them.

Frankie is more adept at one liners and cutting jokes, while Kevin is more of a storyteller and observational comedian talking about scenarios we can all relate to. The one he tells about waiting for a Chinese takeaway is absolute genius. I’ve also seen him at a corporate awards do, and his off the cuff stuff that night was brilliant.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    I’ve seen them both many times, but I think they’re totally different types of comedian so it’s difficult to compare them.

Frankie is more adept at one liners and cutting jokes, while Kevin is more of a storyteller and observational comedian talking about scenarios we can all relate to. The one he tells about waiting for a Chinese takeaway is absolute genius. I’ve also seen him at a corporate awards do, and his off the cuff stuff that night was brilliant.
    SLTN? He was exceptional hosting that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Kevin Bridges - Went to his 2018 concert in Glasgow and I thought he was very poor and lot of people I spoke to though the same. Frankie Boyle's early stuff was good but his shows on BBc were too left wing for me.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    Kevin Bridges - Went to his 2018 concert in Glasgow and I thought he was very poor and lot of people I spoke to though the same. Frankie Boyle's early stuff was good but his shows on BBc were too left wing for me.
    My mum and dad saw him at the playhouse in 2019 and said the same.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    SLTN? He was exceptional hosting that.

Kevin Bridges for me, I just find Frankie Boyle offensive and not in the least bit funny.

Personally think Frankie Boyle was great when he burst on the scene on Mock the Week. His style suited that format, but even that I think I'd be tired of now I reckon. I remember looking forward to his first stand-up DVD and being thoroughly disappointed. I'm in no way easily offended but it's one thing saying edgy things with a funny delivery (I like Ricky Gervais) and just standing up trying to be offensive as possible. In summary - he's not for me as a stand-up.

Kevin Bridges I've always liked and some of his routines are brilliant - "hoose rice" being a highlight. But I get increasingly irritated with one or two of the wee voices he keeps doing during his act, one of them being the lispy one! .... I guess I am fussy and easily annoyed

In summary - easily Kevin Bridges over FB. But neither of them are close to what Billy Connolly was as a stand-up. I'm just very grateful I got to see the big yin before he hung up the mic.

I like Frankie Boyle a lot. I don't think he's always got it right in terms of where he's targeted some of his 'edgier' material, but generally he does a great job at pointing out hypocrisy and inconsistency in the way the public reacts to controversy. We need comedians like him IMO, they help keep us grounded.

On a more fundamental level, I also just prefer Boyle's comedy (could watch the audience annihilation compilations on repeat), but I can certainly see the appeal of Kevin Bridges.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Kevin Bridges without a doubt for me.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I really like Frankie Boyle on TV but he was disappointing live. Spent most of the time roasting the same handful of people in the front couple of rows which is fine on a DVD where you can see the people in question. Not so great when you are a number of rows behind them.

Just a personal view but I can't stand either of them.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    FB by a country mile. Bridges, when on his game and sticks to his script is very good but I’ve seen him struggle a couple of times. One time at the AECC in Aberdeen he actually apologised for being so *****. Sorry but at that level and ticket price, you need to be on your game every time.
    Boyle, very different admittedly, is a very intelligent guy and far more than a ‘shock jock’ comedian. Him and Jerry Sadowitz are the best at what they do. Another shout for Daniel Sloss tho, he’s coming on leaps and bounds and taking the states by storm.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    These guys have different styles. KB seems to be a genuinely funny boy and his act and his audience seem to be very closely matched. That allows a bit of free form and structure that still comes across almost made up in the moment. FB is a bit more forensic and a line delivery and then pause for the laughter lacks spontaneity.

First Team Regular weedgiehibbie's Avatar
    Would go for Bridges, i remember seeing him about 2009/2010 ish as part of Red Raw on night at the Stand Comedy Club (Glasgow one) - he was still newish to the circuit/trying out new material think and was mid-card but was very impressive for his few minutes on stage, very confident and seemed like a natural on stage - oh and very funny too

@hibs.net private member
    Most disappointed comedian live for me is John Bishop. Seen him at Edinburgh Festival about 7 years ago. It was that poor that when we came out we decided to go to & watch whoever was next on the bill.

It was a comic called Jim Jeffrey, Aussie guy. He was doing his routine while sinking pints.

I had never heard of him until then & would definitely go back to see him again.

Most disappointed comedian live for me is John Bishop. Seen him at Edinburgh Festival about 7 years ago. It was that poor that when we came out we decided to go to & watch whoever was next on the bill.

It was a comic called Jim Jeffrey, Aussie guy. He was doing his routine while sinking pints.

I had never heard of him until then & would definitely go back to see him again.
    Jim Jefferies (Geoff Nugent) is brilliant although I can understand why certain people may think otherwise.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Jim Jefferies (Geoff Nugent) is brilliant although I can understand why certain people may think otherwise.
    His bit on gun control in America is brilliant

Can I borrow some ambition? degenerated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Yeah, he is superb. One of the times me and the mates went to see him one of them heckled him and got absolutely taken apart.

Quite a few folk got up and walked out of that show though.

Sent from my CPH2009 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Toss up between Boyle and Bridges, but I agree about John Bishop. I can’t stand him and don’t know where his success has come from.

Like a couple of others on the thread I was disappointed with Bridges live. There were a few moments of gold, the stuff we have all seen on YouTube and the like, but a lot of filler to go with it. Some of his stories are absolutely brilliant of course.

Frankie Boyle is more my style of comedy. He pushes boundaries and challenges an audience to think about what he is saying and why he is saying it. That's not to say he doesn't get it wrong on occasion. I prefer his TV stuff to his stand up, it's where he does his best work.

Kevin Bridges for me.

Billy Connolly was good years and years ago, but (before his illness) don’t think he’s been great for about 25 years now!

Out of the 2 Frankie Boyle for me, pushes boundaries and has that wicked edge of comedy that I like, Jim Jeffries is similar, teetering on the edge of brilliance. Kevin Bridges is a good comedian but is that kind of safe funny comedian a bit like John Bishop, Michael Macintyre etc.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Frankie Boyle beats Kevin Bridges, imho. I don’t shears like FB’s stuff, have found a few of his routines unnecessarily offensive (not so much offensive, but i finds his choice of target poor), but Frankie Boyle at his disruptive best is streets ahead of Bridges.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Kevin bridges reminds me of the worst types of comedian, John Bishop, Rob brydon, Sarah millican etc...

Tells a joke. Tells the punch line, gets small laugh, repeats punch line louder in an exaggerated version of his accent.