hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

Too Good To Go app

Been using this a reasonable amount recently; if you're not aware it's an app where supermarkets, grocers, coffee shops and restaurants sell off the stuff they'd throw out at the end of the day and you can buy a bag of it for anything from £2-£4 on average. Sometimes you get a really good bag, sometimes it's a bit disappointing but you're never spending enough to have lost out dramatically.

Anyone else using it and what gems have you found?

My local M&S garage shop had a few up yesterday; got two nice big pre packed salads (I had the prawn cocktail layered salad for my lunch, my partner took the new potato, cherry tomato and egg one, both were still very fresh), cheesy garlic bread, a bag of salad, lemon mousse and a pack of bramley apple hot cross buns. Essentially lunch for both of us, pudding for one of us, something to go with two coffee breaks each and also two sides to go with our dinner tonight.

Last week went to Costa and got a big bag of paninis, toasties etc. and a couple of pastries. Absolutely banging bag and one of the best I've had.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Been using this a reasonable amount recently; if you're not aware it's an app where supermarkets, grocers, coffee shops and restaurants sell off the stuff they'd throw out at the end of the day and you can buy a bag of it for anything from £2-£4 on average. Sometimes you get a really good bag, sometimes it's a bit disappointing but you're never spending enough to have lost out dramatically.

Anyone else using it and what gems have you found?

My local M&S garage shop had a few up yesterday; got two nice big pre packed salads (I had the prawn cocktail layered salad for my lunch, my partner took the new potato, cherry tomato and egg one, both were still very fresh), cheesy garlic bread, a bag of salad, lemon mousse and a pack of bramley apple hot cross buns. Essentially lunch for both of us, pudding for one of us, something to go with two coffee breaks each and also two sides to go with our dinner tonight.

Last week went to Costa and got a big bag of paninis, toasties etc. and a couple of pastries. Absolutely banging bag and one of the best I've had.
    Nice one mate, will have a look at that, thanks for the heads up 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Nice one mate, will have a look at that, thanks for the heads up 👍
    Don't get me wrong, sometimes the bag you get is poor and they can cancel the bag at short notice if their sales have been good and don't have anything left, but if it's somewhere nearby within walking distance then it's always worth a punt IMO.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    It exists here in France too. I installed it 3-4 weeks ago after my sister-in-law got the the following from her local baker for about £3.50. I haven't managed to use it yet as we're still under a 6.00pm curfew so haven't had time. I definitely will though.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't get me wrong, sometimes the bag you get is poor and they can cancel the bag at short notice if their sales have been good and don't have anything left, but if it's somewhere nearby within walking distance then it's always worth a punt IMO.
    Thanks mate, its the Costa one that probably appeals to me more as Im never away from the place 👍

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    On a related note, do any of these places have arrangements with homeless charities for leftover food?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    On a related note, do any of these places have arrangements with homeless charities for leftover food?
    The "too good to go app" has a hidden items/suppliers feature which you need a code to see/access - I think this is probably for charities and other partnerships.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 09-03-2021 at 07:52 AM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    My ex girlfriend was a cook in a homeless shelter and they used to get a lot of leftover food from M&S.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    How much can you save compared to fresh, in date, food?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    How much can you save compared to fresh, in date, food?
    The ones I've seen here are generally 12€ worth reduced to 4€ - a fair whack.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The ones I've seen here are generally 12€ worth reduced to 4€ - a fair whack.
    It should be said though that the "original value" price is the equivalent of the food at full value. The M&S ones come with the "use by today" stickers on them.

The last one I got was probably about £6 on the yellow sticker price, £9-£10 at full price and I paid £4. The food was still good to eat a couple of days afterwards.

There is an element of fun to it if you aren't a fussy eater or have dietary requirements though, I kind of see it like a Ready Steady Cook sort of thing where you're going home with a bag of ingredients and figuring out how you're incorporating it all into the next couple of days.

It's quite shocking when you get some things that are really still very fresh and good to eat that would otherwise be thrown out. There needs to be a change as to how supermarkets and coffee shops view food waste as it's quite clear that there are mountains being thrown away every day for an app like this to operate.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 09-03-2021 at 01:08 PM.

It should be said though that the "original value" price is the equivalent of the food at full value. The M&S ones come with the "use by today" stickers on them.

The last one I got was probably about £6 on the yellow sticker price, £9-£10 at full price and I paid £4. The food was still good to eat a couple of days afterwards.

There is an element of fun to it if you aren't a fussy eater or have dietary requirements though, I kind of see it like a Ready Steady Cook sort of thing where you're going home with a bag of ingredients and figuring out how you're incorporating it all into the next couple of days.
    The stuff on offer seems to get snapped up very quickly and I don't like the idea that I might be depriving people of a deal that they genuinely need, but I'll give it a go out of interest.

There are also a couple of fancy chocolate places that show up on my list that tend to offer 13€50 worth for 5€ so I'll definitely be trying some of that - f*** the poor!
    Last edited by Peevemor; 09-03-2021 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The stuff on offer seems to get snapped up very quickly and I don't like the idea that I might be depriving people of a deal that they genuinely need, but I'll definitely give it a go out of interest.
    When I first moved out on my own I completely underestimated the cost of living and was very short of money. I got off shift just when the Asda next door were reducing their stuff to 10p and I sometimes relied on that.

The app does give a small window of collection - usually just before closing for half an hour - so it's the stuff at the very end of the day that's unlikely to be snapped up at that point. If people are wanting to try and get it then they can (and indeed if it's somewhere a Greggs or a coffee shop they don't reduce their stuff at the end of the day anyway so you're not depriving people of that).

Just been to collect two I ordered yesterday evening.

Costa (£3) gave me two mozzarella and cheese paninis and a tuna crunch panini. They freeze well.

Greggs (£2.59) gave me a pack of jam doughnuts, a box of sprinkly doughnuts, three sausage rolls and a ham and cheese baguette. As ever, all fresh (sausage rolls still warm).

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    My ex girlfriend was a cook in a homeless shelter and they used to get a lot of leftover food from M&S.
    This should be the default IMHO, rather than making money out of already over-priced food.

Costa (£3) gave me two mozzarella and cheese paninis and a tuna crunch panini. They freeze well.

Greggs (£2.59) gave me a pack of jam doughnuts, a box of sprinkly doughnuts, three sausage rolls and a ham and cheese baguette. As ever, all fresh (sausage rolls still warm).
    Good stuff.

This should be the default IMHO, rather than making money out of already over-priced food.
    I think it often is when in decent quantities. The deals in this app seem more about selling off stuff that's left where there's not necessarily enough to give it to a charity but it shouldn't be binned either.

I agree that food that has past its use for a place can and should be given to foodbanks where possible, but it’s not always possible for that to be the case - the logistics of getting it there, storing it if it requires refrigeration or even if it’s a product that will become stale within a short time frame.

Food poverty is also a big problem in this country when it should never be, but wasting less food is one way that we can help become a more sustainable society without much extra effort at all.

On top of this a school friend of mine now has a small restaurant and it’s fair to say that business in the last twelve months has been inconsistent. He’s needed to make every penny work for his business and if it means being able to recoup some of the cost in food that is no longer of use to him (and is unable to give away) then there is a benefit to that too.

I completely agree that food poverty is a massive issue but so is food waste and it’s very possible to battle both at the same time without a crossover of interests. In fact it’s beneficial on many fronts if we battle both.

Is my pathological and lifelong hatred of M&S showing through here, guys? 😁

Is my pathological and lifelong hatred of M&S showing through here, guys? 😁
    The final days of their clearance sales are great though - got a pair of shoes for £6, jeans for £1.70, chinos for £1.30 last time around. I'm usually dressed like someone ten years older than I am, but as someone who doesn't give two *****s about what's fashionable it works for me

The final days of their clearance sales are great though - got a pair of shoes for £6, jeans for £1.70, chinos for £1.30 last time around. I'm usually dressed like someone ten years older than I am, but as someone who doesn't give two *****s about what's fashionable it works for me
    TF for the ignore button

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    I worked in M&S in Princes St about 25 years ago (ffs) and they would hand over cages full of food close to sell by date to charities. Huge amounts.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Interesting. I’ve purchased a greggs one to pick up tonight so looking forward to seeing what I get haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Interesting. I’ve purchased a greggs one to pick up tonight so looking forward to seeing what I get haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let us know what you got Callum, we got a Costa bag tonight, £3 for two bacon baps, a cheese and beans toastie and two iced buns, excellent 👍

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    On the back of reading this thread last night, i got an M&S one today (from the garage at Dalgety Bay), was £4 and got a prawn cocktail, chicken in red wine main, 2 citrus tarts and a green veg side.

Can’t argue with that value, what was the Greggs one like, Callum?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

This could revolutionise transfer deadline day.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    On the back of reading this thread last night, i got an M&S one today (from the garage at Dalgety Bay), was £4 and got a prawn cocktail, chicken in red wine main, 2 citrus tarts and a green veg side.

Can’t argue with that value, what was the Greggs one like, Callum?
    Thats well worth it! Are they all dated today?
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Thats well worth it! Are they all dated today?
    Yeah. Had the prawns already but think the rest will be fine for lunch tomorrow.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    I have had this app for about 2 years. Not much on it just now obviously. Wait till everywhere opens again. You will be able to have breakfast, lunch & dinner for about £11. I've had some piss poor ones, but also some really good ones.

It seems to be that with the bigger companies you get the better deals & the wee independents not so good.

But it saves the food going to landfill.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    There's nothing on it at the moment that I fancy/is close, but how does it work?

Once you click reserve do you then pay via the app or do you pay at the shop? Do you just go to the till and say you've reserved a TGTG bag?
    Mon the Hibs.