hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft

Alistair Alexander

Sadly passed away. Was a great commentator when I was growing up. Didn't he commentate on one of our favourite games?

RIP
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Very good commentator with very distinctive voice. RIP

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    That’s sad news. A name and a voice associated with a big chunk of Scottish Football history.
    R.I.P.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Sad news indeed

Up there with David Francey as my all time greats

Deepest condolences to family and friends

RIP

Left by mutual consent!
    Rip. Best commentator ever imo.

Thats sad news. RIP

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Commentator on the 7-0 game. His commentary when Stanton surges up the park to lay on the 6th is a classic.
    RIP

One of my first Hibs games was a 1 v 1 home draw v Motherwell . I`ve just checked and it was November 1969 . After the match I realised I`d lost something ( maybe a scarf ) and was let back into the ground to look for it in enclosure under old main stand . Alastair Alexander was there as a commentator / reporter and I still remember him helping me look - I was 9 at a time when televised football was limited but still recognised him and remember him as being friendly and helpful . Always liked his commentaries . Think he was a Motherwell fan incidentally .

Left by mutual consent!
    Was it him or beg that done the commentary for the Ivan game at Ibrox? I listened on my Walkman that day at the game. Magical.

Quote Originally Posted by The 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was it him or beg that done the commentary for the Ivan game at Ibrox? I listened on my Walkman that day at the game. Magical.
    David Begg.

Sad indeed. One of the best.
    His 0-7 commentary, almost as iconic as Mr Crockers on 21/5/16.

RIP

First Team Breakthrough
    Very sorry to hear this news.Those of us from a certain generation will remember Alistair well and his commentary from Tynecastle that day will never be forgotten.

Like Bob Crampsey and David Francey, who both passed before him, the name and voice of Alastair Alexander resonates with supporters of a certain vintage.
    May they all RIP after enriching our lives with their distinctive voices as well as their knowledge and love of the game of Association Football.

RIP Sir, a great commentator from back in the day when these guys did a great job of commentating on the match.

Nowadays we're subjected to amateurs more interested in giving their opinions on mangers futures, what a player should have done as opposed to what he did, and most annoyingly of all, talking away to their sidekick while the game is in play.

Really sad to hear that. The voice of my childhood along with David Begg. Excellent commentator.

Testimonial Due
    Sad. I grew up in football terms with his commentaries. A sign you are getting older. RiP.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    That’s sad news. A name and a voice associated with a big chunk of Scottish Football history.
    R.I.P.
    Agree

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    A commentator and reporter who was a proper professional and excellent at his job. Condolences to the family.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred E Newman View Post
    Commentator on the 7-0 game. His commentary when Stanton surges up the park to lay on the 6th is a classic.
    RIP
    "This is sheer footballing delight" was another gem

These days the game is in the background while two people in the commentary box slaver on about useless statistics and making predictions about every possible outcome, they cannot just let us watch the game and be silent for five seconds. Or they have the irritable act of raising their voice to a ridiculous level when certain teams get into the penalty box.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    The difference with most of the old school was that they weren't all fans of the OF. Even the ones who were managed to contain their enthusiasm as a fan mostly. Contrast with the likes of Boyd etc and its night and day. Professionalism it would be called!