hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: John Doolan

John Doolan

Watching the DVD for first time in a while. I've said it before but it's been too long since I did - I love John Doolan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Would love to see him back in some capacity at the club. The guy got what Hibs are all about.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would love to see him back in some capacity at the club. The guy got what Hibs are all about.
    Wasn’t there a rumour at the time that we had actually offered him the role as manager after Stubbs decided to leave?

I see that he is still at Accrington Stanley who are pushing hard for promotion in League One. Wish him all the best, always welcome back to ER.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    Wasn’t there a rumour at the time that we had actually offered him the role as manager after Stubbs decided to leave?

I see that he is still at Accrington Stanley who are pushing hard for promotion in League One. Wish him all the best, always welcome back to ER.
    He was offered the role ...turned it down to go with Stubbs ...

Genuine question, if it wasn’t for that DVD would anyone think twice about him?

I know I wouldn’t. Can’t recall much being said about him at all until that dvd, which I’m fairness he comes across brilliantly in

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I know I wouldn’t. Can’t recall much being said about him at all until that dvd, which I’m fairness he comes across brilliantly in
    Think was recognised as a major part of the reason we were doing well, long before that DVD....he was an assistant manager in the English prem before he came to us..was always seen as a bit of a coup...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Think was recognised as a major part of the reason we were doing well, long before that DVD....he was an assistant manager in the English prem before he came to us..was always seen as a bit of a coup...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I get that. But so were guys like Colin Calderwood.

Him and Stubbs failed to get us promoted and if it was not for the Scottish cup win, a lot of fans would have wanted Stubbs sacked as we finished 3rd behind Falkirk.

Without the Scottish cup win/DVD would there really be such a glamour for an assistant manager that failed to get us promoted?

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

He did a lot of unseen work :)

Considering the absolute shambles we had before their arrival. Whatever the team did - giving us back revitalised pride in our club and the greatest moment in many of not all a Hibees lifetime - deserves all the plaudits. Non Hibees sharing the same passion for our club - well if that person beyond understanding then You got me stumped.

I knew there would surely come a time where people say “well they’re still dining out on that cup success...” hopefully we’re not here and people can still raise a glass to what they gave to our club and our lives.

Maybe you missed (was it Monkton?) the poster on here who said they met him in the pub and sang his praises.

As for him turning it down - I guess he was loyal not only to Stubbs but my understanding is the reason both went wasgenuinely for family reasons what with his dad passing put things into sharp focus?

Quote Originally Posted by Viva_Palmeiras View Post
    He did a lot of unseen work :)

Considering the absolute shambles we had before their arrival. Whatever the team did - giving us back revitalised pride in our club and the greatest moment in many of not all a Hibees lifetime - deserves all the plaudits. Non Hibees sharing the same passion for our club - well if that person beyond understanding then You got me stumped.

I knew there would surely come a time where people say “well they’re still dining out on that cup success...” hopefully we’re not here and people can still raise a glass to what they gave to our club and our lives.

Maybe you missed (was it Monkton?) the poster on here who said they met him in the pub and sang his praises.

As for him turning it down - I guess he was loyal not only to Stubbs but my understanding is the reason both went wasgenuinely for family reasons what with his dad passing put things into sharp focus?
    I’m not for a second saying he’s not a great or nice guy.

Just that I can’t remember much being said about him or how good he was whilst he was here, only once we won the cup.

Since he’s left there have been a lot of threads about him considering he was an assistant manager, especially when we need a manager.

He clearly bought right into Hibs as a club and seemed to love it here.

I’m not for a second saying he’s not a great or nice guy.

Just that I can’t remember much being said about him or how good he was whilst he was here, only once we won the cup.

Since he’s left there have been a lot of threads about him considering he was an assistant manager, especially when we need a manager.

He clearly bought right into Hibs as a club and seemed to love it here.

AFAIK Doolan was the main guy in training, well liked by the players and got what Hibs were all about, he was offered the job when Stubbs decided to leave but chose to go to Rotherham with Stubbs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

This is more to do with your recollection I think.

There was plenty of talk about Doolan on here during his time with the club. He made time for the fans and there were many glowing appraisals of him.

I remember John Doolan getting massive plaudits from fans because he was quite social with them. I vaguely remember hearing stories about him going into Hibs pubs and chatting away with people quite happily. In terms of his coaching it was quite well discussed at the time how important he was from the players perspective in training.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I remember John Doolan getting massive plaudits from fans because he was quite social with them. I vaguely remember hearing stories about him going into Hibs pubs and chatting away with people quite happily. In terms of his coaching it was quite well discussed at the time how important he was from the players perspective in training.
    I went to a game at Accrington and he was delighted to hear from a Hibby when I got the chance to collar him. He gave me his number on the off chance I was down there again and he’d sort me out with tickets.
    Nice fellah and has a genuine love for the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This is more to do with your recollection I think.

There was plenty of talk about Doolan on here during his time with the club. He made time for the fans and there were many glowing appraisals of him.
    Again I’m not doubting for a second many liked him as a person, he always seems a really nice friendly guy. I’m meaning from a coaching/manager perspective

@hibs.net private member

John Doolan

Again I’m not doubting for a second many liked him as a person, he always seems a really nice friendly guy. I’m meaning from a coaching/manager perspective
    I think you missed it or are not remembering the reaction to him . Even on signing he was viewed a bit of a coup ...

Many times throughout their time here, Doolan was highlighted as really important - he took most of the training ..was a major force in the club during his time here . It was why he was offered the job when Stubbs left
    Last edited by bigwheel; 07-03-2021 at 05:10 PM.

When people talk about having stubbs back and others point to his job at st mirror I always think this is the key point. John doolan wasn't with him. I would take a stubbs/doolan combination back tomorrow.

Blog Entries

Yes, a bunch of us would. We met some of his mates at Hoylake for the Open just after he joined us. They told us he'd never seen a club so demoralised, 8 players and no keeper. However he already loved the club & promised he would work flat out to get us back. He delivered.

I get that. But so were guys like Colin Calderwood.

Him and Stubbs failed to get us promoted and if it was not for the Scottish cup win, a lot of fans would have wanted Stubbs sacked as we finished 3rd behind Falkirk.

Without the Scottish cup win/DVD would there really be such a glamour for an assistant manager that failed to get us promoted?
    We're surely not trotting out this stupid line again are we?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Agreed. We had 70 points in both of Stubbs' seasons in charge & finished 2nd & 3rd respectively. Lennon's team had 71 points & we won the league by 11 points. I have no doubt Stubbs/Doolan would have done likewise.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Agreed. We had 70 points in both of Stubbs' seasons in charge & finished 2nd & 3rd respectively. Lennon's team had 71 points & we won the league by 11 points. I have no doubt Stubbs/Doolan would have done likewise.
    Yep 👍

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

One day we might actually appreciate the managers who actually won a major trophy.