hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We’re Probably Not Going To Win Another Game This Season...

...and still come third.

We’re a bit of a joke but so is Scottish football.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    On current evidence it does look as though we'll have to rely on Aberdeen remaining even worse than us to stay third as it's hard to see where a win or even a draw is coming from.

Start slow and seemingly bereft of a game plan, lose a goal and then play out the rest of the game without ever really looking like scoring. That appears to be our tactics at present.
    Last edited by G B Young; 06-03-2021 at 05:03 PM.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    We got lucky today that Aberdeen are as goal shy as us.

Remember when our only problem was we couldn’t win the big games? 😓

2 losses and its hard to see where a win is coming from I mean seriously, I despair at the exaggeration on here soemtimes.

4 wins, 2 losses in last 6. So basically, if we keep up our form from last 6 games we get 3rd by miles. 2 rough results, no doubt. In a season with dozens of rough and strange results. We win the next two and there will be threads about finishing second next season and ''could we beat an English side over 2 legs in Europe'' and such.

You don't really believe this DBS, I know we are all P ee'd off with the team just now but that comment s way ott.
    Last edited by Franck Stanton; 06-03-2021 at 05:52 PM.

4 wins on the bounce, then 2 defeats. relegation form.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2 losses and its hard to see where a win is coming from I mean seriously, I despair at the exaggeration on here soemtimes.

4 wins, 2 losses in last 6. So basically, if we keep up our form from last 6 games we get 3rd by miles. 2 rough results, no doubt. In a season with dozens of rough and strange results. We win the next two and there will be threads about finishing second next season and ''could we beat an English side over 2 legs in Europe'' and such.
    It's all about scraping results from here but I'd be kidding if I had any confidence in our ability to do it.

When we win we're normally just about as awful as when we lose.

And the "after losing the first goal" business is getting ridiculous.

It's a mystery to me how we've found ourselves in the position we have because far better Hibs teams than this one have been much lower in the league.

We've got a reasonable ability to defend and see out wins against crap, uninspiring teams of very limited talent so we're fine of we can nick a goal first in most games. That's about all I can put it down to.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's all about scraping results from here but I'd be kidding if I had any confidence in our ability to do it.

When we win we're normally just about as awful as when we lose.

And the "after losing the first goal" business is getting ridiculous.

It's a mystery to me how we've found ourselves in the position we have because far better Hibs teams than this one have been much lower in the league.

We've got a reasonable ability to defend and see out wins against crap, uninspiring teams of very limited talent so we're fine of we can nick a goal first in most games. That's about all I can put it down to.
    Thats just completely untrue. You actually don't see a difference between wins like Livi away, Motherwell away, St Mirren away, Aberdeen at home etc vs really bad results or? Or even differencees between close games and real shockers?

Yes, but on the other hand, scoring the first goal is game over in our favour.

We're not some finished article but folk on here are way OTT. We have a massive chance to get into the european groupstages, which financially could be a massive gamechanger and folk are obsessed with not only putting down the team but all the efforts they have made to put us in this position.

Trust me, over 38 games, there is nothing lucky about where a team finishes. If we get 3rd its a great achievement and we very much deserve it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

No question there can be an over-reaction after a bad result but there's also no denying we've been deeply underwhelming in the last two games and it's legitimate to ask why we would put in such listless displays when you'd assume the players would be well up for securing third spot.

Nobody watching those displays will have seen anything to suggest we'll do anything other than lose again next week. Delighted to be proved wrong but at present I'm at a loss to understand what our tactics are.

I never know whether to take these threads seriously or not. Trolling or bedwetting?

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    No question there can be an over-reaction after a bad result but there's also no denying we've been deeply underwhelming in the last two games and it's legitimate to ask why we would put in such listless displays when you'd assume the players would be well up for securing third spot.

Nobody watching those displays will have seen anything to suggest we'll do anything other than lose again next week. Delighted to be proved wrong but at present I'm at a loss to understand what our tactics are.
    I can answer it easily. No amount of being up for a game, being well prepared, having higher wages, better players etc. None of it guarentees anything. The best teams lose games, the worst teams win games.

Nobody watching us lose to Livi and Ross County would say we'll win 4 on the bounce and take control of 3rd. Except we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    ...and still come third.

We’re a bit of a joke but so is Scottish football.
    Not sure what this post was intended to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I never know whether to take these threads seriously or not. Trolling or bedwetting?
    Probably just anger/ frustration. We've all been there. Understandable at present.

@hibs.net private member
    I know DBS is being tongue in cheek but I do think we'll get back to winning ways soon - in fact, as it goes, I fancy us to beat Livi next week because their form has taken a nosedive (touching wood and crossing everything here).

We all get carried away with a few good results but the fact is that ALL teams - not just ours - go through dips as well as peaks in form - and we are where we are because we have had more peaks and less dips than the teams below us. I don't think that's an accident, but because we do have more quality in our squad than most and because Ross has managed us well enough over the piece to make that count.

Other teams and their managers also have their weaknesses and blind spots and I'm hopeful we'll take advantage of them in the coming weeks to rack up some more wins - contrary to DBS' prediction I think we're going to need them to finish 3rd.

Saw a post on twitter: We've lost 9 league games and scored in NONE of them. That's a clear pattern where we cannot get even a foothold in a game where we go behind. Collectively weak mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    I know DBS is being tongue in cheek but I do think we'll get back to winning ways soon - in fact, as it goes, I fancy us to beat Livi next week because their form has taken a nosedive (touching wood and crossing everything here).

We all get carried away with a few good results but the fact is that ALL teams - not just ours - go through dips as well as peaks in form - and we are where we are because we have had more peaks and less dips than the teams below us. I don't think that's an accident, but because we do have more quality in our squad than most and because Ross has managed us well enough over the piece to make that count.

Other teams and their managers also have their weaknesses and blind spots and I'm hopeful we'll take advantage of them in the coming weeks to rack up some more wins - contrary to DBS' prediction I think we're going to need them to finish 3rd.
    There’s not a chance in hell we’ll beat Livi next week.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckys Wheel View Post
    That’s just not true though is it

They key to winning games this season without fans is scoring first.

If you’re ahead then most teams sit back and counter which is proving very difficult to score against for every time.

It begs the question why some of our players start the game so so slow and off the pace? Complacent?

Probably because we're playing Ross County.

Worth remembering, notwithstanding that we are very inconsistent, that we are still above all these teams that are so much better than us.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Probably.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    When is it that Livi are due to finish above us?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    😂👍

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    When is it that Livi are due to finish above us?
    About 2 months ago I think. 12 clear plus goal difference in the race for Europe with only 7 games to go.

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Hound View Post
    Saw a post on twitter: We've lost 9 league games and scored in NONE of them. That's a clear pattern where we cannot get even a foothold in a game where we go behind. Collectively weak mentality.
    Other pattern is we often start games very poorly. We are a counter attack team who have, thankfully, been on the right side of things this season. If teams score before us they know they can sit in and just watch us play as we are very unlikely to score.

Can't wait until this season is over. We will need a fairly large personnel change in the summer. Jack Ross has been fortunate this season that no fans have been in the stadium. Our style of play will drive fans away anyway. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of Hibs support want to see a certain style of play.

We’ll beat County and Livi before the split.

In the split we will beat St Mirren, Livingston and Aberdeen. Draw with Rangers and lose to Celtic.

What about the week after?

Remember when our only problem was we couldn’t win the big games? 😓
    JR has swapped that out for "can't win games when we lose the first goal".

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Worth remembering, notwithstanding that we are very inconsistent, that we are still above all these teams that are so much better than us.
    I can`t see even one post suggesting teams below us are better than us . More the opposite - fans thinking we have a superior squad so should be showing it more often . Not necessarily my opinion - league position shows we have a better squad than a lot of the teams which have beaten us this season though there have been a lot of defeats like today`s this season plus the 2 cup defeats against supposedly inferior teams . Reality is that Hibs and Aberdeen have enough extra income to sign a slightly better squad than other teams in division but not to sign players who really guarantee winning most matches against other non OF rivals . Are the 3 ex Hibs players who played against us today any worse than who we had playing ? Most would probably say Doig is better than Booth but Booth is still good for our division and the other two ex Hibbies certainly contributed more than our midfielders did - many would say they left us because they weren`t good enough for us but it`s very difficult to find better players ( better technically but also fitness and attitude wise ) .