hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..............................Marciano...........

..........Porteous.....McGregor.....Hanlon.....

Cadden..........Gogic............Irvine........... Doig..

................................Boyle.......

.......................Doidge............Nisbet... .

It is likely Hibs would not have lost to St Johnstone had they dealt with their aerial threat
    of Rooney & Kerr at set pieces.
    The addition of McGregor & Doidge to Porteous & Nisbet from our semi final team will address that threat.

The above team contains all of our strong, tall, fast and powerful players and should be able to negate their strengths and push them over for 3 points.
    On the basis that the latest report I saw was that Sean Mackie (remember him ) and Kyle Magennis ( guess the mystery guest) were the only ongoing injuries I would go with this team and formation.

The only other point I would make,is when it comes to subbie time and if possible get Scott Allan on first.I know it’s still baby steps for him but I would like to see him get as much game time as possible.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I love big Doidge but time for Nisbet to come back in

JR "Doig back in the squad. Mackie still out and Magennis only just resumed training. Other than that all ok."

I’m surprised to see a lot of people wanting McGinn dropped. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    I’m surprised to see a lot of people wanting McGinn dropped. One of the first names on the team sheet for me.
    Not for me, he’s been steady enough but has dropped off massively recently. When we play three at the back our left and right sided centre half have to drive forward and into midfield with the ball and I don’t think McGinn is confident enough to do it. Porteous is a better centre half than him.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally thought he was very poor last week and to me would have been one of the players subbed. No doubt he has been an excellent signing though.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Marciano
    Porteous
    Mcgregor
    Hanlon
    Cadden
    Doig
    Gogic
    Newell
    Irvine(really want to start Allan)
    Boyle
    Doidge

Interesting to see that St Johnstone have scored just 6 goals (in 14 games) at home this season!

Nisbet has to be in for Doidge, for me, but I won’t be surprised to see Doidge play.

Would consider Porteous for McGinn as well but don’t think that’ll happen.

I’d like to see Gogic and Irvine back together as well but, again, I don’t think that’ll happen either.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Doig in for Stevenson is the only change.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbysam View Post
    Not for me, he’s been steady enough but has dropped off massively recently. When we play three at the back our left and right sided centre half have to drive forward and into midfield with the ball and I don’t think McGinn is confident enough to do it. Porteous is a better centre half than him.
    His best position is right back and that’s where he should be played. I’d go 4-4-2 today with him and Doig full backs, Cadden and Murphy in front of them. Probably worth mentioning he scored 2 goals against St Johnstone earlier in the season.
    Last edited by Magpie; 06-03-2021 at 07:54 AM.

Gogic needs to play, opposition midfields flood through us when he doesn't play. I also think McGinn needs rested.

His best position is right back and that’s where he should be played. I’d go 4-4-2 today with him and Doig full backs, Cadden and Murphy in front of them. Probably worth mentioning he scored 2 goals against St Johnstone earlier in the season.
    Against a team that will likely play 3 in the middle of the park that would be a big risk.

I really hope Ross doesn't go with the same team with maybe only Doig coming in, he can be a bit of a stubborn manager but it was plain last week things were off with a few players and it needs freshened up. McGinn has done reasonably well since he's came in but the last 2-3 games have shown why St Mirren had been his level before, he's 30 now so won't be getting much better, a decent RB but lacks physicality at CB. Hallberg seems to have suddenly fallen out of favour since Irvine came in, he had dome well but now seems to be bench material only now, Irvine was also poor last week.

Rocky

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Gogic
    Hallberg

Cadden
    Newell
    Boyle

Nisbet

This an option but he won't go with it, we're becoming predictable and teams have sussed us out, they high press us and we end up going long which doesn't work, time to get the ball on the deck and play football.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I really hope Ross doesn't go with the same team with maybe only Doig coming in, he can be a bit of a stubborn manager but it was plain last week things were off with a few players and it needs freshened up. McGinn has done reasonably well since he's came in but the last 2-3 games have shown why St Mirren had been his level before, he's 30 now so won't be getting much better, a decent RB but lacks physicality at CB. Hallberg seems to have suddenly fallen out of favour since Irvine came in, he had dome well but now seems to be bench material only now, Irvine was also poor last week.

Rocky

McGinn
    Porteous
    Hanlon
    Doig

Gogic
    Hallberg

Cadden
    Newell
    Boyle

Nisbet

This an option but he won't go with it, we're becoming predictable and teams have sussed us out, they high press us and we end up going long which doesn't work, time to get the ball on the deck and play football.
    It's an option that he won't go with because it's a poor team with little attacking threat

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Gogic needs to play, opposition midfields flood through us when he doesn't play. I also think McGinn needs rested.
    I'd probably start Gogic today too, but that bit in bold is a massive exaggeration.

There's only been a few league games this season where he hasn't started and in nearly all of them our midfield has been fine. 3-0 Motherwell away, 4-0 Hamilton away, 1-1 dundee utd at home, 1-0 st mirren at home, and the recent Hamilton game - in all these matches our midfield was in complete control of the game and providing plenty of protection to the defence with us not conceding many chances - hardly the opposition midfield flooding through us.

The only games he never played where I'd say our midfield was too soft and giving the opposition to much time was the ross county defeat and at a push the first half of last week.

Love this patter about McGinn being poor. Guy has been good all season. Last 2-3 games he's been poor? Not for me. 2 of those games were comfortable wins in which the opposition hardly got a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Love this patter about McGinn being poor. Guy has been good all season. Last 2-3 games he's been poor? Not for me. 2 of those games were comfortable wins in which the opposition hardly got a sniff.
    Personally think he has been poor for the last 4/5 games.
    On the team today, make sure we play three in midfield and make sure one of them is Gogic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He’s been fine recently in games where we have dominated and the defence hasn’t been worked. He was poor last week, we dominated the two previous to that, st Mirren win he was culpable for the goal we conceded there. He’s a right back who’s filling in at right centre half when IMO, we have a better right centre half sitting on the bench who will also be brave enough to take the ball out of defence.

All about opinions, I just think we have a better right back in Cadden and a better right sided centre half in Porteous.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    He hasn't been at the same standards he set earlier in the season, since Cadden came in he has had to be a bit more defensive and hasn't been anywhere near as good, especially the last few games, looks a bit jaded at times, a wee shot on the bench wouldn't hurt

I'd make two changes to the team that played against Motherwell. If Josh Doig is fit he comes back in and bring Nisbet back in for Doidge.

I don’t envy being Jack Ross and picking a team.

We always seem better with Gogic and Doidge in the team imo.

Gogic just wins the ball so much whether it’s headers, interceptions or tackles and presses his man really right. Whilst not amazing on the ball, he keeps it ticking over and rarely loses it in a dangerous position (this will now happen today).

I think with the players we have we’re almost better being solid and hard to beat than when we try play slick football.

Doidge has hardly scored this season but seems to always get a chance and allows whoever he is playing with whether it be Boyle or Nisbet to focus on their own game whilst he leads the line and does the ugly side and makes it awkward for the defenders. He’s also a big asset defensively.

I actually might change my initial team selection and say I won’t be surprised to see Nisbet start behind Doidge and Boyle - played that role a few teams and done well.

Quote Originally Posted by FamousFiveHibee View Post
    I'd make two changes to the team that played against Motherwell. If Josh Doig is fit he comes back in and bring Nisbet back in for Doidge.
    You have a very short memory.
    Nisbet played in the semi final instead of Doidge against the same team.
    How did that go?

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    You have a very short memory.
    Nisbet played in the semi final instead of Doidge against the same team.
    How did that go?
    I think Doidge needs a rest tbh. Even though he's not scoring goals he puts in alot of work and looks jaded at times to me. Maybe freshen the team up a bit today. Can always bring him on off the bench.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Nisbet for Doidge, not fussed about anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by FamousFiveHibee View Post
    I think Doidge needs a rest tbh. Even though he's not scoring goals he puts in alot of work and looks jaded at times to me. Maybe freshen the team up a bit today. Can always bring him on off the bench.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    I think he needs a wee rest as well. However, we need all our big guys today to mess up the aerial threat of Rooney and Kerr at set pieces then Doidge can have a couple of games rest.

McGinn was all over the place last week but I would never drop him as long as he’s fit. He has been outstanding most of the season and I’m pretty sure Sir David is now only cover at best.

And as much as I’m a fan of him and I’ve defended the big guy, even recently, I think Doidge now needs a break and Nisbet to start with Boyle up front.

Hibs can win this today - historically teams that have a bit glory in the match previous as they’ve just had, have a bit champagne legs syndrome. And the fact we were rolled over in the semi by them and our players must have watched those images of them with the cup in their hands all week is (hopefully) all the impetus we need to go at them and give them a doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I don’t envy being Jack Ross and picking a team.

We always seem better with Gogic and Doidge in the team imo.

Gogic just wins the ball so much whether it’s headers, interceptions or tackles and presses his man really right. Whilst not amazing on the ball, he keeps it ticking over and rarely loses it in a dangerous position (this will now happen today).

I think with the players we have we’re almost better being solid and hard to beat than when we try play slick football.

Doidge has hardly scored this season but seems to always get a chance and allows whoever he is playing with whether it be Boyle or Nisbet to focus on their own game whilst he leads the line and does the ugly side and makes it awkward for the defenders. He’s also a big asset defensively.

I actually might change my initial team selection and say I won’t be surprised to see Nisbet start behind Doidge and Boyle - played that role a few teams and done well.
    Gogic might be our most important player at the moment and there’s no way I’d be playing without him against anyone just now.

If we could find a way to play without either Doidge, Nisbet or Murphy then I think I would be trying to.

It’s a bit mad that out of preference I’d pick a team minus a fit Porteous, Murphy, Doidge and Nisbet, especially with the lack of striking options we have, but that’s where I think we are.

Of them all, I’d probably be most tempted to attempt to carry an out of form Doidge and we probably will need to accommodate at least one of them, if not two.

Team announced, I was close!

............................Marciano...........

..........McGinn............Porteous.....Hanlon... ..

Cadden..........Gogic............Newell........... Doig..

................................Irvine.......

.......................Boyle............Nisbet....

Very surprised Mcgregor isn’t playing given their threat from set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Team announced, I was close!

............................Marciano...........

..........McGinn............Porteous.....Hanlon... ..

Cadden..........Gogic............Newell........... Doig..

................................Irvine.......

.......................Boyle............Nisbet....

Very surprised Mcgregor isn’t playing given their threat from set pieces.
    Was my first thought too.

Good to see Jack Ross saw what most other did last week. Gogic back in. Newall keeps his spot at the expense of Murphy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk